Cooper vs DLaw-if you can keep 1?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Figured we would spread the ball around this season but we’re not as good when Cooper isn’t on the field. He has to be accounted for. There’s a reason the Cowboys plan to hang onto him.

I don't disagree, Numbers a little off since Cooper played in 15 game and Lamb at 16 games. Overall sure I have no issues trying to give Cooper more targets especially in 1 on 1 situations

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don't disagree, Numbers a little off since Cooper played in 15 game and Lamb at 16 games. Overall sure I have no issues trying to give Cooper more targets especially in 1 on 1 situations
One on one down the sidelines Dak needs to put it up once or twice a game. He usually put one up for Gallup to go up for and Gallup would come down with them all the time.. Early in the season he was dropping dimes on Cooper and Lamb down the sidelines.. After pats game it stopped..

Doomsday101

Reaction score
One on one down the sidelines Dak needs to put it up once or twice a game. He usually put one up for Gallup to go up for and Gallup would come down with them all the time.. Early in the season he was dropping dimes on Cooper and Lamb down the sidelines.. After pats game it stopped..

I agree, regardless of the play called (outside of a run play) We normally have someone on a go rout and if Dak sees 1 on 1 to the outside, take it. Trust your guy can win the 50/50 battle.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I agree, regardless of the play called (outside of a run play) We normally have someone on a go rout and if Dak sees 1 on 1 to the outside, take it. Trust your guy can win the 50/50 battle.
Sure could help stretch defense.

glimmerman

Reaction score
That and the chance of drawing PI. For the most part however I want Dak looking for the open man, be it 1 on 1 or a check down to RB or Shultz. What you don't have to do is force balls.
He plays best when he is spreading the ball around on shorter routes. Hit a slant or curl.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He plays best when he is spreading the ball around on shorter routes. Hit a slant or curl.

I agree and use those plays to setup the go rout. I'm all for taking some shots down the field but yeah when Dallas is moving the chains they start getting into a rhythm

glimmerman

Reaction score
I agree and use those plays to setup the go rout. I'm all for taking some shots down the field but yeah when Dallas is moving the chains they start getting into a rhythm
I agree. And sets up the run. Then play action. Then the Offense is unstoppable..

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I was listening to a podcast yesterday, Broaddus was discussing all cap scenarios, management might have to decide to keep either Cooper or DLaw to be able to retain the in-house free agents:

Cooper saves 16 million, 20 million as a post june 1st release. However, they can create 12.5 million if they restructure his deal.

DLaw saves 8 million, 19 as a post june 1st release. They can also restructure his deal again, sign him to extension or even ask him to take a pay cut. He is on the books as a 27 million cap charge this yr and 29 million the following.

It's also very possible that they find a way to keep both.

If you had to make the decision, who would you rather keep?
Jerry Dumbo GM Jones let loose Demarcus Ware. It was good for Ware. D Law is 29 years old.

Cooper is 27 years old and for some reason they threw more to Lamb, who will never be the route runner, and getting wide open as Cooper. This offense needs a no.1 WR and not one that gets taken away by a weak secondary like the 49ers had on the field. CBs was giving Cooper a 10 yard cushion and Dak along with Boy Genius could not get a open WR the football.

DL are hard to find. So, I would restructure/renegotiate both to stay. Draft a DL with my premium draft picks, sign a veteran WR, and if the season shows up another no.1 WR (it will not), then I would trade Cooper. If it shows up another DE (this is more probable), I will keep D Law until the end of the year 2022 and then release him.

You do not release under 30 year old Pro Bowl Players Jerry Dumbo GM Jones.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I was listening to a podcast yesterday, Broaddus was discussing all cap scenarios, management might have to decide to keep either Cooper or DLaw to be able to retain the in-house free agents:

Cooper saves 16 million, 20 million as a post june 1st release. However, they can create 12.5 million if they restructure his deal.

DLaw saves 8 million, 19 as a post june 1st release. They can also restructure his deal again, sign him to extension or even ask him to take a pay cut. He is on the books as a 27 million cap charge this yr and 29 million the following.

It's also very possible that they find a way to keep both.

If you had to make the decision, who would you rather keep?

Cooper of course.

No one needs that cancer named DFlaw aka Hot Boyz fake .

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cooper-

When cooper isn't on the field it limits the entire offenses ability on all pass plays. It is too easy for teams to simply scheme away from Dlaw in the run game and it's not not he's beating the better qb's in the pass game already. you can stick any other 3tech in his place and get similar results. But we haven't been able to do that when cooper can't go, this offense operates in quicksand.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, if they get rid of either, that pretty much puts the 1st rounder at DE or WR, Booger's two favorites.

Cooper has better trade value because when the GM's watch the film they will see that he was right, he was getting open and the QB was not getting the ball to him. Lamb and Schultz had become his favorites because he was looking to get rid of the ball.

SEA is where Cooper belongs because he is the same type of WR that Doug Baldwin was and Wilson loved that WR. And they need to make Wilson happy or trade him.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No, but if you release him, how are you going to replace him? At least we have options at receiver.
well, I think then you have to look at the over all roster (defensive roster) and what might work better. Neal was OK in his role and needed to be protected on that side by DE. he was decent in coverage, perhaps a slight upgrade there someone like Kwon Alexander....with a true WILL LB that side would be better protected.

Lawrence doesn't get many sacks any more, specially from strong side, so having a DE that can stop the run, might be easier to find. we were very suspect to outside run containment. Armstrong, Golston, Basham, Watkins none as good in pass rushing, but perhaps with a little focus on run game and run game containment. plus Lawrence has been injured almost every year over the past few years....he is also hitting 30.

I rather spend the money on RDE, DTs that can push the pocket.
I think it would be money better spent.

also, I would actually cut both Cooper and Lawrence. I think we can resign Gallup and Wilson for same money as Cooper. It doesn't mean I don't like cooper. I do. I do think he is a little soft, but he is a technician....again, just looking at over all roster.....if we keep cooper, then we have to allocate extra money to at least keep Wilson which means less money for the rest of the roster.

don't mention Dak. its water under the bridge. can't be cut right now. we have to wait at least two years.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
well, I think then you have to look at the over all roster (defensive roster) and what might work better. Neal was OK in his role and needed to be protected on that side by DE. he was decent in coverage, perhaps a slight upgrade there someone like Kwon Alexander....with a true WILL LB that side would be better protected.

Lawrence doesn't get many sacks any more, specially from strong side, so having a DE that can stop the run, might be easier to find. we were very suspect to outside run containment. Armstrong, Golston, Basham, Watkins none as good in pass rushing, but perhaps with a little focus on run game and run game containment. plus Lawrence has been injured almost every year over the past few years....he is also hitting 30.

I rather spend the money on RDE, DTs that can push the pocket.
I think it would be money better spent.

also, I would actually cut both Cooper and Lawrence. I think we can resign Gallup and Wilson for same money as Cooper. It doesn't mean I don't like cooper. I do. I do think he is a little soft, but he is a technician....again, just looking at over all roster.....if we keep cooper, then we have to allocate extra money to at least keep Wilson which means less money for the rest of the roster.

don't mention Dak. its water under the bridge. can't be cut right now. we have to wait at least two years.
Lawrence does get a lot of pressures. Quinn has even kicked him inside in the nickel. The drop-off between him and his backups like Armstrong, Basham is immense. If you want to buy in fa, it's going to cost 15-20 million and DLaw just save 8. Drafting at 24, would be more of a developmental player at the position.

You mentioned Neal, he didn't live up to his 5 million contract and great chance he plays somewhere else.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Depends on what they want. He will get shopped around. If he gets offered 12-15 a year I don’t see us paying him. JJ was nice to him and now it’s time for Gregory to be nice. His agent won’t be nice.. It’s time for him to cash in.. If we got a LB then Parsons maybe a better rusher..
I heard Stephen say that he was well aware the cost and they are interested in keeping him during the season. In my opinion, he is a franchise candidate if a contract cannot be released prior to fa.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I heard Stephen say that he was well aware the cost and they are interested in keeping him during the season. In my opinion, he is a franchise candidate if a contract cannot be released prior to fa.
What’s the tag for him. Any ideas.. It’s not a sales tag. Lmao..

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Definitely D-Law over Coop. First of all, Coop has been known to disappear in big games and road games. Coop is a damn good receiver, but he's not top tier. If Cooper was that good, the Raiders wouldn't have let him go.

Secondly, I would rather Coop leave so we can concentrate more on running the ball. There is only one ball and its hard to keep all three receivers happy unless we abandon the run again like we did this year.

Absolutely, I think that may be what's wrong with the offense.....to many playmakers want the ball...DAK doesn't have the 1 go to guy he trust...he has 3-4 that he needs to keep happy

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score

Just curious,, do you think there are too many star players on the offense?....Maybe DAK is trying to keep everyone happy and not having that one truly special connection... like a Burrow to Chase.....

BermyStar

Reaction score
I keep D Law over Coop. Defense needs leadership and playmakers. I think D Law is a solid DE…. Despite what many fans think lol

Cooper is getting to be an issue on a few fronts:

1. JJ clearly did not like him missing those 2 games and was public about it
2. He disappears from games at times (not all his fault)
3. Always dealing with an injury
4. Appears to be getting more moody the longer he is here
5. WRs are easier to find than DEs
I like both players, but if I have to choose it's DLaw for me as well.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lawrence does get a lot of pressures. Quinn has even kicked him inside in the nickel. The drop-off between him and his backups like Armstrong, Basham is immense. If you want to buy in fa, it's going to cost 15-20 million and DLaw just save 8. Drafting at 24, would be more of a developmental player at the position.

You mentioned Neal, he didn't live up to his 5 million contract and great chance he plays somewhere else.
good debate....I just didn't see Lawrence as that big of a key to the defense as we held up pretty well when he was out and improved. I don't see the drop off as immense, although I agree there is a drop off. Armstrong had 5 sacks....not a lot but he has had 3,5, 6 sacks the past three years. last time he had double digits was 2018 with 10.5....that's not saying much for a 20M (top paid) DE.

but it saves more than just 8. his cap hit is 27M. releasing him after June 1 would have cap hit of 9M. that's 18M saved.

so its either rework his contract. or cut the cord.

also, I would like to draft OL in the first two rounds......not saying we should reach, but if a guard or center is available, slight reach is OK at 24. or do a trade like we did in getting fredrick, but we can get more by fixing the OL than drafting a DE (I agree with that).