Cooper waiting for Julio Jones deal?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All I’m saying as at some point we are going to have to let some of these bigger named players walk. I’m not in favor of this but perhaps it would be more economical to draft a WR in the first next year, franchise Cooper and get Zeke on the 5th year. See where we can go from there (make sure they both stay healthy, consistent and out of trouble).
You started this thread saying we shouldn’t pay Cooper. So, what’s the plan this year if we don’t? Just hope Receiver by Committee works out or Tag him?

aria

Reaction score
You started this thread saying we shouldn’t pay Cooper. So, what’s the plan this year if we don’t? Just hope Receiver by Committee works out or Tag him?
Where did I say we shouldn’t pay him? I know what I said but when people claim I said something I didn’t say or twist my words then I like to ask them to provide the quote so everyone knows they are a liar.

I’ll be waiting for that quote, and an apology, then we can get back to your question.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Jones isn't in the same league as he used to be either. In the NFL you pay players for who they are now, not who they used to be if you want to remain competitive. Jones is still really good but it's all downhill from here. I'd take a 24 year old Cooper over a 30 year old Jones.

Besides that reason, Cooper will unfortunately get paid more than he normally would because we traded a first rounder for him. Cooper doesn't have to be reasonable. Similar to the Mack deal, but to a lesser extent, the Cowboys invested in him, and they didn't do it for a partial season. Cooper knows this and will extort what he wants from the Cowboys.

Jones is still producing like he has throughout his career, he had 1600+ yds last season 2nd highest in his career. He's put up 1400+ for 5 consecutive seasons. It would be interesting what each would get if on the open market right now. Julio may be 30, but still not showing signs of slowing down and has been consistently great and for a team looking to win now, may be the better choice. Coop is younger and potentially has more years left, but there is a question about his consistency. He's had a couple of bad years and not all of that can be attributed to the QB/team, some of that was his own lack of focus. Is he going to keep that focus and drive after getting paid?

If both were available, I would pick Julio if I was looking for 2yr deal with an option 3rd year, but would lean towards Coop if looking for a 5 year deal.

kumizi

Reaction score
The Cowboys traded a 1st for him. He has all the leverage. He can bend them over if he wants.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Cooper has all the leverage.

He was the supposed solution to our woes last year, as demonstrated by many of the posts in this thread.

He already has 14mil coming this year. He's not hurting for money.

Jerry and Stephen have spent the last 6 months saying what a great "first round pick" Cooper was. They'll look like fools if they gave up a first round pick only to have to franchise Cooper from 2020 on. So they will pay. And pay through the nose. And Cooper's agent has got to know this. He'll turn the screws on Jerry for an obscene contract.

They took Cooper's extension for granted when they traded a 1st for him. Now they're going to pay for that miscalculation.

100 pct here.

aria

Reaction score
Cooper has all the leverage.

They'll look like fools if they gave up a first round pick only to have to franchise Cooper from 2020 on. So they will pay. And pay through the nose. And Cooper's agent has got to know this. He'll turn the screws on Jerry for an obscene contract.

They took Cooper's extension for granted when they traded a 1st for him. Now they're going to pay for that miscalculation.

So in other words they will look like fools either way.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Where did I say we shouldn’t pay him? I know what I said but when people claim I said something I didn’t say or twist my words then I like to ask them to provide the quote so everyone knows they are a liar.

I’ll be waiting for that quote, and an apology, then we can get back to your question.
Basically said we shouldn’t pay him top money? That’s my interpretation ... what was your intention if not?

Mannix

Reaction score
Cooper has worried me from day ONE....he does not seem to be all that into football. He does not appear to be cut from the the same cloth as a John McEnroe, or even our own Dez....hates to lose more than they like to win. He troubles me big time!!!

superonyx

Reaction score
Collins will be gone and Byron or Zeke. Leaving more so towards Byron:
Is this a serious post or are you just another agenda message board troll?

Zeke has been the NFLs leading rushing 2 of 3 seasons and led the league in yards per game in the other season. He has been the picture of durability. He is a weapon out of the backfield. Amazing at pass protection.

The FO has given zero indication they would even entertain the idea of letting him go. They have gone all in for Zeke.

So what is your trolling agenda based on? Factually of course.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ok, that’s a fair answer. Just curious what you thought of Cooper getting equivalent money to other top receivers in the league when he’s not even top 3 whereas Zeke is. I happen to agree about letting Zeke walk after the 5th year option and franchise tag.

It will also be interesting to see what they do with Jaylon if he has another great year.
There isn't a more accomplished 24 year old in this league than Cooper. People can talk about how his career has gone but its hard to find someone with his resume by 24. And whether he's top 3 or not I don't know but one thing you can't deny is he belongs in the same category as those top 3. Julio last year wasn't better than Cooper when he got to the Cowboys.

Zeke should get paid. I think Zeke does get paid. But I also can't fault this organization for thinking they can get good production at a cheaper rate. Running back is the easiest position to find and the cheapest one. Zeke does offer some things in this locker room that shouldn't be taken for granted. But to me a receiver or corner are more important and harder to find.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Is this a serious post or are you just another agenda message board troll?

Zeke has been the NFLs leading rushing 2 of 3 seasons and led the league in yards per game in the other season. He has been the picture of durability. He is a weapon out of the backfield. Amazing at pass protection.

The FO has given zero indication they would even entertain the idea of letting him go. They have gone all in for Zeke.

So what is your trolling agenda based on? Factually of course.
So did you miss the part where I said I'm leaning more towards Collins and Byron Jones? Or are you the one trolling?

I don't know what this franchise will do with Zeke. If it gets to a point where Zeke is seeking 20-25 million per year.....do I think they give it to him? No, I don't. So yeah of course they want him and rightfully so. But I don't think its some sure thing and it shouldn't be. He's a running back. Why would I invest 20+ million into a running back?

It's close but hes also gonna make more than them

By what? 1 or 2 million?

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
So did you miss the part where I said I'm leaning more towards Collins and Byron Jones? Or are you the one trolling?

I don't know what this franchise will do with Zeke. If it gets to a point where Zeke is seeking 20-25 million per year.....do I think they give it to him? No, I don't. So yeah of course they want him and rightfully so. But I don't think its some sure thing and it shouldn't be. He's a running back. Why would I invest 20+ million into a running back?

By what? 1 or 2 million?

Around a couple mil yes

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So in other words they will look like fools either way.
I wouldn’t say that. They knew the risk going in. It’s just time to pay the piper. They'd look the bigger fool if they don’t.

aria

Reaction score
Basically said we shouldn’t pay him top money? That’s my interpretation ... what was your intention if not?
I never said we shouldn’t pay him as you originally stated I said. What I did say is that he shouldn’t be making the same amount of money as Jones and there’s several reasons why (ie his commitment to football, he’s only played with us half a season, he led the league in drops not too long ago). I wouldn’t mind letting him play one more year before jumping the gun on him. At that at we can either sign him to a long term contract, draft a receiver next year in round one or two and sign Zeke to the fifth year option.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I never said we shouldn’t pay him as you originally stated I said. What I did say is that he shouldn’t be making the same amount of money as Jones and there’s several reasons why (ie his commitment to football, he’s only played with us half a season, he led the league in drops not too long ago). I wouldn’t mind letting him play one more year before jumping the gun on him. At that at we can either sign him to a long term contract, draft a receiver next year in round one or two and sign Zeke to the fifth year option.
I understand but it doesn’t matter because he saved our season and probably Daks career.

But you at least Tag him which is still paying him.

aria

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say that. They knew the risk going in. It’s just time to pay the piper. They'd look the bigger fool if they don’t.
If they want to pay him top receiver money, fine, but he starts leading the league in drops again and his play drops off then I’ll be the first to say “told ya so”. I’m not saying I don’t like him or don’t think he made us substantially better but I wouldn’t pay him top receiver money because “that’s the way it is”.

Hardline

Reaction score
If I was negotiating with these players up for contracts I would offer them a huge lump sum of money after they retired off the books if they would play for a reasonable contract.

aria

Reaction score
I understand but it doesn’t matter because he saved our season and probably Daks career.

But you at least Tag him which is still paying him.
For sure, see how he does next year and if he does well, sign him. It’s a slight risk that he could be even more expensive but based on his history and his very small sample size with this team I would be leery of throwing top receiver money at him after a little over half a season.

Last edited:

aria

Reaction score
There isn't a more accomplished 24 year old in this league than Cooper. People can talk about how his career has gone but its hard to find someone with his resume by 24. And whether he's top 3 or not I don't know but one thing you can't deny is he belongs in the same category as those top 3. Julio last year wasn't better than Cooper when he got to the Cowboys.

Zeke should get paid. I think Zeke does get paid. But I also can't fault this organization for thinking they can get good production at a cheaper rate. Running back is the easiest position to find and the cheapest one. Zeke does offer some things in this locker room that shouldn't be taken for granted. But to me a receiver or corner are more important and harder to find.
There are other factors that make a WR productive such as RB, O line and QB. Right now I would take JJ on a 3-4 year contract over Cooper on a 5-6 year contract.