Cooper waiting for Julio Jones deal?

slick325

Reaction score
Smart move by Coop and his representatives. The exclusive tag number increases every time new big dollar deals are signed since it is the average of the top 5 salaries at the position. Julio Jones and Antonio Brown types will push the tag number up so the range the Cowboys present will be bumped up.

Smart move...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I’d like to sign him as well but would be very cautious of throwing top receiver money at him based on half a season. This team has a history of over paying players which is what caused us to get in salary cap trouble in the first place. I don’t buy the “that’s what everyone does” or “that’s the way it is” excuse.

I’m also leery of players falling off after they get big contracts and add in a guy who has been questioned on his desire/dedication/love of the game and it could be a disaster. So far I like Coop and hope we keep him but I’d rather see another year from him before signing him to top receiver money.

I'm generally just opposed to spending big money on WRs, and certainly for giving up a 1st for the privilege of doing so, but Cooper passes the eyeball test to me. Quickness, speed, route running. He's got it, and he's got a game that lasts, at least over any projected contract. Given that they traded for him in the first place, and he's exceeded expectations, I don't see how they don't sign him.

aria

Reaction score
I'm generally just opposed to spending big money on WRs, and certainly for giving up a 1st for the privilege of doing so, but Cooper passes the eyeball test to me. Quickness, speed, route running. He's got it, and he's got a game that lasts, at least over any projected contract. Given that they traded for him in the first place, and he's exceeded expectations, I don't see how they don't sign him.
Again, I like most of what I see as well and they most likely will sign him this year, I just hope it’s not top receiver money or it’s a contract we can get out of relatively easy. I’d like to see one more year before handing out a huge contract.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
That’s fine but we don’t “have to sign him” for top receiver money after playing for half a season with us. He still has another year, plus the franchise tag option, meaning we could wait two more years or at least a year which I would feel better about.
Good point but the next year is a 5th year option at around 14 million per year plus and the franchise tag is big money so we could keep him on basically two one year prove it to me big money deals. I have no real issue with doing that. Only real risks are he turns into a cry baby and a distraction.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Exactly. That is why draft picks are so valuable. Sure we have Amari Cooper. But now he's one more position we have to pay top dollar immediately or we lose him.

This aspect of team building in the cap era is something the Jones boys have never really grasped.

They've definitely gotten better at this though with Stephen's lack of interest in free agency as evidence. JJ saw the season slipping away and went all in with Amari. Even with Amari we are in much better shape financially than most teams. Their restraint has been almost too stingy.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
I like Cooper, but he's not Jones. In fact he's not even in the same stratosphere as Jones. Having said that he's just trying to get all he can get and that's the job of his agent. I don't blame him for trying to get every penny he can just like every other position player.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They've definitely gotten better at this though with Stephen's lack of interest in free agency as evidence. JJ saw the season slipping away and went all in with Amari. Even with Amari we are in much better shape financially than most teams. Their restraint has been almost too stingy.

We haven't signed a marquee free agent in his prime since Dieon Sanders. Sure there was the horrific trades for Galloway and Roy Williams, but i'm talking about free agency.

The result of Stephens restraint has not beared any fruit yet. As an old timer, i'm not impressed with a building process that culminates in a wildcard weekend victory.

Yes, we are in good financial shape at the moment. The Dak and Amari deals should take care of that in a hurry.

dckid

Reaction score
Daks not in the same league as QBs hes going to get paid like but that's just how it works.
That show how stupid it is becoming. There needs to be a stop to this nonsense.
Dak is. It a top 5 guy so he shouldn’t be paid as such.
Cooper love him but he has not produced like Julio has. Full stop discussion over.

dckid

Reaction score
If we become that heavily invested in our offense and it’s still bottom tier statistically ( currently 22nd) while letting key defensive players go... we are doomed.

We can’t keep all 3 ( Tripletts) on offense unless they’re enough to carry a lesser defense.
The triplets concept is dead. If we pay Zeke a Gurley contract after his 5th yeartgen Jerry will be the dumbest man alive.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I like Cooper, but he's not Jones. In fact he's not even in the same stratosphere as Jones. Having said that he's just trying to get all he can get and that's the job of his agent. I don't blame him for trying to get every penny he can just like every other position player.
While I agree Cooper isn’t the talent level of Jones, how important is Cooper to our offense and the effectiveness of Dak?

ondaedg

Reaction score
We haven't signed a marquee free agent in his prime since Dieon Sanders. Sure there was the horrific trades for Galloway and Roy Williams, but i'm talking about free agency.

The result of Stephens restraint has not beared any fruit yet. As an old timer, i'm not impressed with a building process that culminates in a wildcard weekend victory.

Yes, we are in good financial shape at the moment. The Dak and Amari deals should take care of that in a hurry.

I agree they haven't hit their happy medium yet. We need a difference maker at safety and Stephen punted. On the bright side our salary cap situation is better than most teams.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree they haven't hit their happy medium yet. We need a difference maker at safety and Stephen punted. On the bright side our salary cap situation is better than most teams.

Gotta go cheap somewhere. S seems to be one of those spots.

Last edited:

MaaS

Reaction score
stop wtih the comparisons, or whos thinking what. we dont know. who knows what ACs agent is telling him. A deal will get done ad we ll live. whatever happens will happen.

I don't necessarily disagree, but this is a message board. Discussing things we know nothing about that have no impact on the real world is kind of the point.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Based on what we saw last season Cooper is every bit as important to the Cowboys as Jones is to the Falcons, if not more. To give up a first round pick, see the difference he made, then not extend him would be a mistake. Let's hope they can reach an agreement.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
That show how stupid it is becoming. There needs to be a stop to this nonsense.
Dak is. It a top 5 guy so he shouldn’t be paid as such.
Cooper love him but he has not produced like Julio has. Full stop discussion over.

:muttley: