Cooper

kskboys

Reaction score
B/c WR is more important than DT.

Two WRs isn't a lot, considering they're in 3WR sets the majority of the time, and it's smart to assume that one will almost always be hurt. Plus, there's not a ton of speed in the group, they could use it.

The Chiefs just won the Super Bowl by building an offense that has a bunch of WRs and a bunch of speed. It should be every team's #1 priority because, when playing well, that offense is unstoppable.
Not even close. KC won because of their DT's/3/4 DE's. How in the world did you not see Chris Jones changing the game and giving Mahomes the chance to mount a comeback? Seriously, dude, your ideas are completely incorrect.

cnuball21

Reaction score
It was a waste anyway b/c that identity stopped being relevant more than a decade ago.

i think the running game is important, but I also think it’s the easiest position on the roster to field. Investing a top 5 pick in 1 and pumping $15 mil a year into one is not smart IMO.

kskboys

Reaction score
i think the running game is important, but I also think it’s the easiest position on the roster to field. Investing a top 5 pick in 1 and pumping $15 mil a year into one is not smart IMO.
I had no problem w/ drafting him, but the contract when he was still under contract was stupid. Especially considering his penchant for stupid crapp.

And drafting him was made necessary by previous horrendous moves at the position.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I had no problem w/ drafting him, but the contract when he was still under contract was stupid. Especially considering his penchant for stupid crapp.

And drafting him was made necessary by previous horrendous moves at the position.

I just can’t get behind that kind of draft capital for a position that is so easy to replace. If you look at the starting RBs on the last 10 super bowl winning teams it will make you sick.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I like it in theory but the offense is going backwards.

We’re not getting Jeudy/Lamb and those are the only guys on Coopers level. Dak also has a great connection with him and he is the perfect kind of WR for him.

Honestly I don't think the WR in the SB were in an elite category.
Sammy Watkins is the only WR in the SB that was a 1st rounder and he is inconsistent at best.
Nelson Agholor, Kenny Britt, Phillip Dorsett were first-rounders all 3 have been inconsistent,
Julio Jones, and Michael Floyd were first-rounders and only Julio has been a top-flight WR

I don't think paying a WR 15-20 million is needed to win a SB, in todays NFL it's all about scheme on offense and a good defense. If we can fix the defense and good a good group of WR's that fit the scheme, and a defense that can get to the QB we have a chance especially behind a strong running game.

I will say it seems like a common denominator is having a very good TE that can create matchup problems allows the rest of the offense to excel.

kskboys

Reaction score
I just can’t get behind that kind of draft capital for a position that is so easy to replace. If you look at the starting RBs on the last 10 super bowl winning teams it will make you sick.
It's not quite as easy as you're thinking.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Sammy Watkins is the only WR in the SB that was a 1st rounder and he is inconsistent at best.
Nelson Agholor, Kenny Britt, Phillip Dorsett were first-rounders all 3 have been inconsistent,
Julio Jones, and Michael Floyd were first-rounders and only Julio has been a top-flight WR

I don't think paying a WR 15-20 million is needed to win a SB, in todays NFL it's all about scheme on offense and a good defense. If we can fix the defense and good a good group of WR's that fit the scheme, and a defense that can get to the QB we have a chance especially behind a strong running game.

I will say it seems like a common denominator is having a very good TE that can create matchup problems allows the rest of the offense to excel.

Great post. I’d say unless you have great coaches and a great scheme, you do need at least one solid #1 WR.

But the league has shown us there’s more than 1 way to win a ship in this league.

To me, we have a great OL, an elite RB and an above average QB. If we can get the defense to be quality, I think the ground and pound and eat clock approach is our best chance on offense. It’ll keep us in a lot of 3rd and shorts and PA will be deadly.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Great post. I’d say unless you have great coaches and a great scheme, you do need at least one solid #1 WR.

But the league has shown us there’s more than 1 way to win a ship in this league.

To me, we have a great OL, an elite RB and an above average QB. If we can get the defense to be quality, I think the ground and pound and eat clock approach is our best chance on offense. It’ll keep us in a lot of 3rd and shorts and PA will be deadly.

That was my point in letting Cooper walk or trade him for a day two pick. Bolster the defense with FA, go draft CB’s, and add a TE and Wr that fits McCarthy’s scheme. We can fill a lot of holes with Cooper, Fleming’s, and Crawford’s money.

cnuball21

Reaction score
That was my point in letting Cooper walk or trade him for a day two pick. Bolster the defense with FA, go draft CB’s, and add a TE and Wr that fits McCarthy’s scheme. We can fill a lot of holes with Cooper, Fleming’s, and Crawford’s money.

But how are you replacing Cooper? I love Gallup but he's a high #2 at best. Dak needs a legit #1 IMO.

If we let Cooper go...McCarthy better have the best darn scheme in the league.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
But how are you replacing Cooper? I love Gallup but he's a high #2 at best. Dak needs a legit #1 IMO.

If we let Cooper go...McCarthy better have the best darn scheme in the league.

name a number one on either sb teams? I don’t Call Hill or Watkins a #1 guy they are hot and cold, but their hots are blazing with the best qb in the league. Would you call Edelman a number one for the patriots or a great scheme guy.

I think there’s plenty of ways to get better at the position while getting better everywhere else by letting a handful of moves with our current players.

Rockdoc

Reaction score
KC has a combination of WRs and a great TE
it can be put together.
but yes the DL is biggest difference between us and the Chiefs

cnuball21

Reaction score
name a number one on either sb teams? I don’t Call Hill or Watkins a #1 guy they are hot and cold, but their hots are blazing with the best qb in the league. Would you call Edelman a number one for the patriots or a great scheme guy.

I think there’s plenty of ways to get better at the position while getting better everywhere else by letting a handful of moves with our current players.

I would 100% call Hill a 1...I know he’s had the off the field stuff and injuries but dude is legit.

The Pats are an outlier...they have the best QB and coach of all time.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Dallas does have a ton of a WR's under contract. They need another dynamic pass catcher. This draft class is an exceptional one at receiver, and the Boys may need to get in on the action in the first round.

My guy? Alabama wide out Henry Ruggs. Take him 17, re-sign Coop, and prosper offensively for the foreseeable future.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I would 100% call Hill a 1...I know he’s had the off the field stuff and injuries but dude is legit.
o
The Pats are an outlier...they have the best QB and coach of all time.

He is a number one but he's not. He is inconsistent and plays on an offense with a QB that perfectly suits his skillset, but outside of that offense with that QB I think he would be Desean Jackson where he would make the big splashes, and have games here and there with 8 or so catches but not consistent.

I think scheme in todays NFL is #1, and build your WR around that but paying a WR 15-20 million range is a handicap to a team who needs to pay a QB. If Dak was in his second year great pay him, and by the time Dak is going to get paid then you can figure out what you're going to do with Cooper but thats not the case.

Amari is not a dog, not a leader, and very inconsistent and I am not willing to pay someone like that the money he wants to make.

Use the 30 million saved from Cooper, Crawford, Flemmings, and Olawale on strengthening your weakness.

You address your defense in FA, and your 1st round pick you can double dip on WR in 2nd and 3rd day.

cnuball21

Reaction score
He is a number one but he's not. He is inconsistent and plays on an offense with a QB that perfectly suits his skillset, but outside of that offense with that QB I think he would be Desean Jackson where he would make the big splashes, and have games here and there with 8 or so catches but not consistent.

I think scheme in todays NFL is #1, and build your WR around that but paying a WR 15-20 million range is a handicap to a team who needs to pay a QB. If Dak was in his second year great pay him, and by the time Dak is going to get paid then you can figure out what you're going to do with Cooper but thats not the case.

Amari is not a dog, not a leader, and very inconsistent and I am not willing to pay someone like that the money he wants to make.

Use the 30 million saved from Cooper, Crawford, Flemmings, and Olawale on strengthening your weakness.

You address your defense in FA, and your 1st round pick you can double dip on WR in 2nd and 3rd day.

I think I agree with you in Hill to an extent.

I think I just disagree with you in everything else. A great scheme helps but unless you have an elite QB you can’t overcome average WR play. Cooper has had some drops, but’s he’s had 1K yards 4/5 years since entering the league which is insane. This offense is completely different when’s he’s playing and healthy. Last year people dogged him in 2nd half but he was clearly playing hurt.

And you can take the “dog” type personality all you want. But he’s a breath of fresh air to me after all the headaches I’ve seen at WR here and around the league.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
7 teams got into the playoffs without a number 1 WR not including the Chiefs.

You don't need #1 WR to a legit team, and you don't need one to have an effective offense. Scheme is where it's at in today's NFL, and if we can do things to get WR's open like Shannahan does which I fully believe McCarthy can do then you focus on defense in FA, use your first-round pick on a defensive player and sprinkle in WR and TE in your second and third day with what we have on this roster and you are back to rolling on offense and playing at a higher caliber on defense.

I get it the headache of Dez in the past was a bit much, but he competed hard all the time where you can't say that with Cooper and for what he wants to make that's a problem.

cnuball21

Reaction score
7 teams got into the playoffs without a number 1 WR not including the Chiefs.

You don't need #1 WR to a legit team, and you don't need one to have an effective offense. Scheme is where it's at in today's NFL, and if we can do things to get WR's open like Shannahan does which I fully believe McCarthy can do then you focus on defense in FA, use your first-round pick on a defensive player and sprinkle in WR and TE in your second and third day with what we have on this roster and you are back to rolling on offense and playing at a higher caliber on defense.

I get it the headache of Dez in the past was a bit much, but he competed hard all the time where you can't say that with Cooper and for what he wants to make that's a problem.

Adams
Lockett
Thielen/Diggs
A.J. Brown (looks like he’ll turn into 1)
Hill

I don’t these are the Jones / Hopkins type 1s but still 1s IMO.

I also remember a pretty good number of Romo’s picks on spot throws where Dez stopped running on his route and wasn’t going full speed so dont buy that part.

Every team/scenario is different but I think Dak needs one.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Adams
Lockett
Thielen/Diggs
A.J. Brown (looks like he’ll turn into 1)
Hill

I don’t these are the Jones / Hopkins type 1s but still 1s IMO.

I also remember a pretty good number of Romo’s picks on spot throws where Dez stopped running on his route and wasn’t going full speed so dont buy that part.

Every team/scenario is different but I think Dak needs one.

Locket is a very good #2, Vikings, Packers, and Chiefs were not included, and AJ Brown can be a #1 but is not it yet.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
If we lose him does WR jump to the top draft need?
Im starting to think if Cooper is not in Dallas, Dez will be. And then a Wr will be drafted at 17.

Cooper, Gallup and Cobb

or

Gallup, Dez, Cobb, and rookie(Ruggs)?

As much as i think Cooper is a good fit for this team, id rather have 4 capable WRs earning less combined on the yr then Cooper would alone.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score

But you need receivers to come up with big plays in the superbowl and even the playoffs to win it. If not then you need defense to score or get turnovers, special teams score or set the offense up in scoring position or RB/TE to have a big game.