Copycat league: Dallas needs to copy San Fran

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The Cowboys roster on offense is similar to San Fran's.. That Shanahan system is actually perfect for our personel.

The balance between the run and pass is what we have been trying to achieve and the way they scheme things just creates natural running lanes and the Shanahans do this with just about any team they have.

Now they have added that sweep with the WR and I would think that would be a new staple for all teams. The Debo samuel play. Dallas needs to make that play a priority in the offseason. (I think we may have done it a few times this year)

I know Jay Glazer told Jerry we needed a leader of men.. Blah blah.. But if I could have any coach in the league right now for our team it would probably be Shanahan. Zeke would probably set records in that offense.

SF's process was very short. The Dallas DL is years away from looking anything like SF. Years. More than likely they will never get close. Dallas has no DTs. Bosa is light years better than the $100MM Scooter Boy. SF is not the model.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Code:
NAME   W  L  T    SRS    MOV    SOS   OSRS   OMOV   OSOS   DSRS   DMOV   DSOS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SRS - simple ranking system. Doug Drinen brought this into play in articles on Pro Football Reference. SRS = MOV - SOS.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/index4837.html?p=37

MOV - margin of victory (points for - points against)/games played.
SOS - strength of schedule. A number that pops out of the SRS calc that represents the average strength (in points) of a schedule relative to leave average. An average schedule is calculated as a 0.
OMOV - margin of victory carved into an offensive component.
OSRS - offensive component of the SRS calc.
OSOS - offensive component of the SOS
DMOV - defensive componen..

Code:
Rank  Team    Median  GP   W   L   T  Pct   Pred   SRS    MOV   SOS
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rank - how my code ranks teams. Winning % first, the median point spread.
Median - median point spread. The difference in score in the median game the team played, as ranked by PF - PA.
Pct = winning percentages based on WL record.
Pred - Pythagorean Expectation as related to football.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_expectation#Use_in_pro_football

My code actually optimizes the exponent and uses that.

SRS - Simple Ranking System.
MOV - margin of victory
SOS - strength of schedule component of the SRS calc.

quickccc

Reaction score
Our Dline is close if we bring back Quinn.

We should see a quick turn around for the interior part of our defense.

Marijuana has hurt our DLine more then anything.

If Dallas doesn’t tighten up their coverage it won’t matter if we have 4 HOFrs rushing the QB.

how ? ... who do we currently have in the middle that gives us a quick turnaround ? :huh:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
One of the things I'm most envious of is SF's ability to use a FB on offense effectively, and their ability to consistently generate pressure with only four guys.

Just a nasty, smash mouth football team that we wish we were.

Yet....they still lost the Super Bowl. When push came to shove.....Nick Bosa disappeared...that front 4...got tired....and they gave up 3 TDs in less than 7 minutes to seal their fate.

No way....It takes 8 dudes in a rotation along the D-line to get the job done. Not 4. You just can't do it...and expect 4 guys to stay fresh for 60 minutes.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
What Dallas needs is to Copy Kansas City! San Fran like the Rams, one visit every 20/25 years or so. No thank you.

bodi

Reaction score
John Lynch hs been the biggest addition to the 9 ners

quickccc

Reaction score
The Cowboys roster on offense is similar to San Fran's.. That Shanahan system is actually perfect for our personel.

The balance between the run and pass is what we have been trying to achieve and the way they scheme things just creates natural running lanes and the Shanahans do this with just about any team they have.

Now they have added that sweep with the WR and I would think that would be a new staple for all teams. The Debo samuel play. Dallas needs to make that play a priority in the offseason. (I think we may have done it a few times this year)

I know Jay Glazer told Jerry we needed a leader of men.. Blah blah.. But if I could have any coach in the league right now for our team it would probably be Shanahan. Zeke would probably set records in that offense.

Although Niners don’t have a premiere featured back like zeke Elliott - and we don’t have a featured pro bowl TE like the Niners do in TE George Little.

I agree that I also love Shanahan’s play action and misdirection offense that maximizes and plays right into the strengths of QB Jimmy Grappolo, so much better and effective when used off
play action and jet misdirection than just straight back pocket passing.
and I have always loved how Shanny schemes his run game and how he involves his RBs into the pass game.

In a different world, I could see Tony Pollard used in the same sense as Debo Samuels with those jet sweep misdirection reverse runs that work so effectively for Niners ,… but under Kellen, Pollard was under utilized, imo. Hopefully that changes under McCarthy, or Kellen becomes a better play caller.

I am so hoping McCarthy (not Kellen) can get this run game revamped and back on track with some of the QB under center deep backfield run formations that he used often in Green Bay.
Interestingly MM used a lot more split and two Backs in backfield and many times no TEs- which all the more makes me wonder if a new better blocking FB will be here vs subpar Olawele.

But even better I can see MM better utilizing the RBs in the pass game much more efficiently than what Kellen did.
Swing- flair passes, misdirection screen plays that would be perfect for the likes of zeke and pollard. - which BTW, RBs in pass game was another one of the few areas I thought Kellen struggled with in his first year as OC

quickccc

Reaction score
we always seem to be copying and mimicking some team at some level or another at both sides of the ball.

we seemed to want the 2 TE offense that the Pats were utilizing at the time Gronk and Hernandez so we drafted Marty Bennett in the 2nd round to pair with Witten.

Defensively we wanted to scheme the Tampa 2 with bringing in Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli

we wanted to mimick the Legion of Boom and Seahawks style of defense, so thus enters Kris Richard

we wanted to mimick the Sean McVay style of time base offense and some of his pre-snap motion and multi-formations that the Rams do , so thus enters Kellen Moore.

Who knows where the RPO's ideals came from - Doug Pederson's Eagles ?

Where and What is our identity ?