Cord Cutting

rynochop

Reaction score
Great question. It’s a bit of trouble. No flipping back from the Cowboys to the Astros to the Spurs with the push of 1 button.
Exactly..if I'm having to get up and unplug and replug something else in the back of the TV that's not gonna work for me. My big screen sits in a cabinet and you have to pull the whole thing out to get to the back, but I'm pretty ignorant about it all.
But I get it, I pay 110 for dish and can count on two hands the number of channels I watch

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Exactly..if I'm having to get up and unplug and replug something else in the back of the TV that's not gonna work for me. My big screen sits in a cabinet and you have to pull the whole thing out to get to the back, but I'm pretty ignorant about it all.
But I get it, I pay 110 for dish and can count on two hands the number of channels I watch
We’re in the transition phase between run it down your throat everything or nothing, or ala carte. Soon we will be able to pick and chose.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Dumb question but how much trouble is it to switch between all these platforms? As in if I'm done watching Netflix or Hulu and want to watch the local news?
You would have to change the source on the TV from HDMI to local antenna. Then you have to select your channel like you would normally on tv. Not dumb q at all, I didn't have an HD Antenna for the first few months bc thought it would be more of an hassle then it really is. You may need your TV remote for that aspect comp (changing channels) to the stick or gaming controller.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
You would have to change the source on the TV from HDMI to local antenna. Then you have to select your channel like you would normally on tv. Not dumb q at all, I didn't have an HD Antenna for the first few months bc thought it would be more of an hassle then it really is.
Or if you're using a Roku or a similar device. You just switch apps that you're using to watch the next show if it's from a different source. In that cause, you do not switch the input on the TV.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Or if you're using a Roku or a similar device. You just switch apps that you're using to watch the next show if it's from a different source. In that cause, you do not switch the input on the TV.
Yeah, I'm using the PS4 as the platform but have to change the source to local antenna and then flip from there. But in terms of shows, yeah it takes 2 seconds to load out and back in (usually saved from your last point of the show/movie).

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I stopped using cable a long time ago (comcast) once I realized that I was paying an arm and a leg and still not getting what I wanted (a large library of movies/TV series on demand).

NFL Game Pass International (need a VPN) = $170 a year. Yes, you can watch games live with International and yes, with a good VPN, you can watch it in HD quality. Been using it for about 8-9 years now.
Netflix = $156 a year
Amazon Prime = $120 a year
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So around $450 a year to cover everything I care to watch.

Now, every once in awhile if there's a big fight or soccer match on that I want to watch, I'll dabble with r3ddit to catch streams, but I digress..

Hardline

Reaction score
There are many states where owning lockpicks are legal to possess, but if you use them to go into someone's house and take something you still committed a crime.
Kodi offers a free service . If they want to charge a rate they can.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
This reminds me of a dialog on Deep Space Nine back in season six, episode 25. The Sound of Her Voice. (I just finished re-watching the entire series)

(if you don't want to read the whole thing, the quoted in blue is the main part)

QUARK:
I hope you're satisfied. I'm sure nothing gives you more pleasure than stifling my creativity.
ODO: Only you would consider barstools to be a form of artistic expression.
QUARK: Oh yeah? Let's see how creative you are. Have you picked out the Major's gift yet?
ODO: Gift?
QUARK: For this Saturday. You do know what Saturday is, right?
ODO: Saturday?
QUARK: Yes. It's the one month anniversary of your first date with Major Kira.
ODO: Oh. I suppose it is.
QUARK: And you haven't picked out a gift.
ODO: Why should I?
QUARK: The man's experienced unrequited love for the better part of three years and now that he finally has her, he wants to know why he should celebrate their anniversary.
ODO: Whatever you're trying to sell me, it won't work.
QUARK: You think I'm going to get involved? No, thank you. The last thing I want to deal with is a panicked lover looking for a gift at the last minute. There's a whole Promenade of shopkeepers out there if you want to buy a gift.
(Quark goes back to serving.)
ODO: A one month anniversary gift. Did you ever heard of anything so ridiculous?
(Odo looks at Jake, then leaves nonchalantly and starts shopping.)
JAKE: Okay, so now you have him looking for a gift. What are you up to?
QUARK: I tell you, you write it down, the next thing I know I'm in a holding cell.
JAKE: I won't write a word, I promise. This is just character research.
QUARK: Right.
JAKE: Quark, listen. I'm working on a crime novel but I've hit a wall in my writing. It's not truthful anymore. Phony, artificial. I'm having trouble creating real, flesh and blood characters, especially nefarious ones. If you could just let me just watch and listen as you pull off whatever it is you're going to pull off, it could really help me out. You could give me insight. I could even model my lead character after you.
QUARK: Lesson number one. No one involved in an extralegal activity thinks of themselves as nefarious.
JAKE:
Sorry.
QUARK: I'm a businessman, okay? Now, if you're interested in learning more about my business, I think that could be arranged.
JAKE: Great.
QUARK: But nothing you see or hear turns up in print. And none of it, none of it gets back to your father, understand?
JAKE: Completely.
Basically, a thief doesn't see himself as a thief even though that is exactly what he is. People do not like to think negative about themselves and put blinders on and then make excuses to avoid the self-indictment .

Arguing the point is in the end, is pointless. It is what it is.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This reminds me of a dialog on Deep Space Nine back in season six, episode 25. The Sound of Her Voice. (I just finished re-watching the entire series)

(if you don't want to read the whole thing, the quoted in blue is the main part)

QUARK:
I hope you're satisfied. I'm sure nothing gives you more pleasure than stifling my creativity.
ODO: Only you would consider barstools to be a form of artistic expression.
QUARK: Oh yeah? Let's see how creative you are. Have you picked out the Major's gift yet?
ODO: Gift?
QUARK: For this Saturday. You do know what Saturday is, right?
ODO: Saturday?
QUARK: Yes. It's the one month anniversary of your first date with Major Kira.
ODO: Oh. I suppose it is.
QUARK: And you haven't picked out a gift.
ODO: Why should I?
QUARK: The man's experienced unrequited love for the better part of three years and now that he finally has her, he wants to know why he should celebrate their anniversary.
ODO: Whatever you're trying to sell me, it won't work.
QUARK: You think I'm going to get involved? No, thank you. The last thing I want to deal with is a panicked lover looking for a gift at the last minute. There's a whole Promenade of shopkeepers out there if you want to buy a gift.
(Quark goes back to serving.)
ODO: A one month anniversary gift. Did you ever heard of anything so ridiculous?
(Odo looks at Jake, then leaves nonchalantly and starts shopping.)
JAKE: Okay, so now you have him looking for a gift. What are you up to?
QUARK: I tell you, you write it down, the next thing I know I'm in a holding cell.
JAKE: I won't write a word, I promise. This is just character research.
QUARK: Right.
JAKE: Quark, listen. I'm working on a crime novel but I've hit a wall in my writing. It's not truthful anymore. Phony, artificial. I'm having trouble creating real, flesh and blood characters, especially nefarious ones. If you could just let me just watch and listen as you pull off whatever it is you're going to pull off, it could really help me out. You could give me insight. I could even model my lead character after you.
QUARK: Lesson number one. No one involved in an extralegal activity thinks of themselves as nefarious.
JAKE:
Sorry.
QUARK: I'm a businessman, okay? Now, if you're interested in learning more about my business, I think that could be arranged.
JAKE: Great.
QUARK: But nothing you see or hear turns up in print. And none of it, none of it gets back to your father, understand?
JAKE: Completely.
Basically, a thief doesn't see himself as a thief even though that is exactly what he is. People do not like to think negative about themselves and put blinders on and then make excuses to avoid the self-indictment .

Arguing the point is in the end, is pointless. It is what it is.
The truth is the truth.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
We'll never "cord-cut".

Love the convenience of cable.

Have multiple TV's in the house and cable makes it darned easy to use all of them.

You'd be surprised how cool some of the alternative providers are. I used that term, because "cord cutting" is really just shifting your money elsewhere. PS Vue for example, can play on a multitude of devices. I think you get 5 active streams at once and you can use it on Roku, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, etc. It also has a cool cloud DVR feature with basically unlimited storage. So if I tell it to record an NFL game, it records every NFL game I have access to.

So instead of paying DVR fees and receiver fees for each tv in your house, you can buy a $35 device, which requires no extra cabling, and be set. You also have cool things like profiles, so your wife can have her favorites when she signs and and vice versa.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Sorry if this is already been talked about, but has anyone switched to YoutubeTV, Hulu Live, or Sling?

Yup. Got rid of regular cable and instead I just go with a Roku box with Youtube, Netflix, and a bunch of other channels, all of them free except Netflix. Plus I set up my own Plex steam in it with videos I've bought as downloads.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Can you get the Discovery channel?
Hulu.com's Live TV offers Discovery channel. Sling TV and Direct TV Now used to also, but I don't see it in their line up anymore.

Playstation Vue seems to offer it also.

Both work on a Roku. If you've got a cable subscription, Discovery Now app works on Roku also. That comes at no extra charge with your cable subscription that has Discovery channel. This is great when you travel or no cable box in a specific room.

cml750

Reaction score
I would love to "cut the cord" but if I did I would lose access to watch the Houston Rockets and Astros except by crappy illegal streams unless they are on national television. I live too close to Houston to get the league passes so Root Sports Houston, available only on Direct TV in my area, is the only way I can watch the games in the Beaumont area.

John813

Reaction score
I've tried Sling, Fubo and Directv now.

Been on DTV Now the longest as last I checked Sling didn't have the local channels.
Fubo was good for sports, but the rest of the lineup(wifes stuff) was subpar and IIRC the stream was laggy/quality issues.

Only thing that stinks about streaming, at least in my experience, is that it's 10-15 seconds behind the cable TV feed for live sports. So, sometimes in the game thread here I'll find out what happened on 3rd down here before I see it on the TV

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Dropped it a year ago and don't miss a thing. I have Netflix, Hulu, and Prime and a HD Antenna ($15 but one time purchase) for local channels/sports. Save over $100/mo. this route and love it.

This is exactly what we have. A few paid services and free TV. It is absolutely plenty of entertainment for my household. I couldn't imagine paying into the $100-$200 for television like some people do. No thanks. The only thing I would be interested in paying for and wish was offered was the NFL package. If they would offer that stand-alone, say through the Xbox, I would be a customer. Until then, it's Reddit for me. :D