Cord Cutting

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I've tried Sling, Fubo and Directv now.

Been on DTV Now the longest as last I checked Sling didn't have the local channels.
Fubo was good for sports, but the rest of the lineup(wifes stuff) was subpar and IIRC the stream was laggy/quality issues.

Only thing that stinks about streaming, at least in my experience, is that it's 10-15 seconds behind the cable TV feed for live sports. So, sometimes in the game thread here I'll find out what happened on 3rd down here before I see it on the TV

Try PS Vue. It's great.

jsb357

Reaction score
Back in 94' this thing called the "internet" was gaining popularity.

But required a monthly fee for reliable usage.

I cut the cable because I could not justify the cost for both.

It's been rabbit ears and radio ever since.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
*Potentially dumb question*
Do I need a PS4 for that?
Was close to buying one last year but went with a Xbox 1 X.

I believe they lose a lot of business by using the PlayStation name. No, you don't need a PlayStation, but I don't think you can use an Xbox.

What devices are supported on PlayStation™Vue?How do I set up my device to use PlayStation Vue?I have an Apple TV™ or Roku® Player or TV; the screen says I need to activate the device. What does that mean?How do I get the latest version of PlayStation™Vue on my Roku® Player or TV?How many devices can I stream PlayStation™ Vue on at once?How do I use my remote with PlayStation™Vue?Why am I seeing channels as mobile-restricted on my mobile device?I'm having trouble casting PlayStation™Vue. What should I do?I’m on a Roku® player and I can’t access Cartoon Network live. What should I do?Can I watch PlayStation™Vue while using a VPN?

read more about PlayStation™Vue software versions on supported Roku Players and TVs
  • Amazon Fire TV (all gens)
  • Apple TV® (4th gen running tvOS 11.0 and up)
  • Android TV (all gens)
  • On the web at psvue.com/watch (most recent versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Microsoft Edge, as well as previous “evergreen” versions.)
  • Mobile and tablet devices
    • iOS devices: iOS 9 or higher
    • Android: Android phones and tablets running Android OS version 5.0 or higher
    • Amazon: Fire HD6 tablets and above
  • Google Chromecast (1st gen and up)

John813

Reaction score
I believe they lose a lot of business by using the PlayStation name. No, you don't need a PlayStation, but I don't think you can use an Xbox.

What devices are supported on PlayStation™Vue?How do I set up my device to use PlayStation Vue?I have an Apple TV™ or Roku® Player or TV; the screen says I need to activate the device. What does that mean?How do I get the latest version of PlayStation™Vue on my Roku® Player or TV?How many devices can I stream PlayStation™ Vue on at once?How do I use my remote with PlayStation™Vue?Why am I seeing channels as mobile-restricted on my mobile device?I'm having trouble casting PlayStation™Vue. What should I do?I’m on a Roku® player and I can’t access Cartoon Network live. What should I do?Can I watch PlayStation™Vue while using a VPN?

read more about PlayStation™Vue software versions on supported Roku Players and TVs
  • Amazon Fire TV (all gens)
  • Apple TV® (4th gen running tvOS 11.0 and up)
  • Android TV (all gens)
  • On the web at psvue.com/watch (most recent versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Microsoft Edge, as well as previous “evergreen” versions.)
  • Mobile and tablet devices
    • iOS devices: iOS 9 or higher
    • Android: Android phones and tablets running Android OS version 5.0 or higher
    • Amazon: Fire HD6 tablets and above
  • Google Chromecast (1st gen and up)

Thanks for the info. Will look into it quite a bit.

Do have a Roku so, that should work

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I just use Kodi to stream the movies I own from the hard drive, none of the other stuff. I used to be okay with stealing some things that I wouldn't have bothered getting in the past, but no longer (and I ended up spending way more time doing the actual stealing than watching what I was stealing). I knew it was wrong then, but made excuses that they weren't losing money because I wouldn't have purchased it anyway. I won't do that anymore.

As for cutting the cord, Sunday Ticket is the only thing keeping me from doing so (because LEGALLY, it's the way to have access to all the games). I just got my mom some Roku devices and set her up on youtubeTV and the Hallmark app so she gets everything she wants for $100 less a month than she is paying for DirecTV.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I just use Kodi to stream the movies I own from the hard drive, none of the other stuff. I used to be okay with stealing some things that I wouldn't have bothered getting in the past, but no longer (and I ended up spending way more time doing the actual stealing than watching what I was stealing). I knew it was wrong then, but made excuses that they weren't losing money because I wouldn't have purchased it anyway. I won't do that anymore.

As for cutting the cord, Sunday Ticket is the only thing keeping me from doing so (because LEGALLY, it's the way to have access to all the games). I just got my mom some Roku devices and set her up on youtubeTV and the Hallmark app so she gets everything she wants for $100 less a month than she is paying for DirecTV.

I believe you can get Streaming Sunday Ticket now without a dish subscription.

lukin2006

Reaction score
The last place I lived I had cut the cord. I currently have cable now but will be cancelling soon... too expensive for what you get.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
This is exactly what we have. A few paid services and free TV. It is absolutely plenty of entertainment for my household. I couldn't imagine paying into the $100-$200 for television like some people do. No thanks. The only thing I would be interested in paying for and wish was offered was the NFL package. If they would offer that stand-alone, say through the Xbox, I would be a customer. Until then, it's Reddit for me. :D
That was my only holdout for not doing so earlier w Direct TV, but then seeing as DC gets so many Cowboy games; it felt like I paid for 4 games or something ridiculous. Saved tons over the last few years and just watch on Reddit like you do the few games where the skins are playing.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I believe that is only for those in areas where they can't get satellite.
I know there was a limitation early on, but I heard they lifted that restriction and opened it up to everyone. I know initially, there was a capacity issue of opening it to all.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Cut mine once for a few months but won't do it again. I like to channel flip too much and never sit down in front of the TV with something planned to watch. Tonight I could be watching a cooking channel, tiny house hunting, the golf channel, some show on surviving in Alaska, Bonanza, Ridiculousness, Seinfeld reruns, a fishing show, CNN, or college football. I keep Netflix and Amazon for watching the few dedicated series and movies I have interest in and that's it.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The absolute best thing about cutting the cord is the fact that I never have to watch commercials again. That in itself is worth it's weight in gold. (and gold pressed latinum)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cut mine once for a few months but won't do it again. I like to channel flip too much and never sit down in front of the TV with something planned to watch. Tonight I could be watching a cooking channel, tiny house hunting, the golf channel, some show on surviving in Alaska, Bonanza, Ridiculousness, Seinfeld reruns, a fishing show, CNN, or college football. I keep Netflix and Amazon for watching the few dedicated series and movies I have interest in and that's it.

This.

If I had to decide before hand what the I want to stream... I'd lose all joy at watching TV.

That's why streaming services and what-not won't work for me.

I'm sticking to cable.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The absolute best thing about cutting the cord is the fact that I never have to watch commercials again. That in itself is worth it's weight in gold. (and gold pressed latinum)

I don't have a problem with commercials... Some I find amusing. Other times they become my bathroom break or sandwich making break.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
I would love to "cut the cord" but if I did I would lose access to watch the Houston Rockets and Astros except by crappy illegal streams unless they are on national television. I live too close to Houston to get the league passes so Root Sports Houston, available only on Direct TV in my area, is the only way I can watch the games in the Beaumont area.

That's the hard part for true cord cutting. Especially for baseball and pro basketball, at least in my area. I'm over 250 miles from Chicago yet I'm in the cubs market so I couldn't even get a MLB subscription to watch any of the games if I wanted to. Not a huge baseball fan but I do like to watch some games. If you are a general college football or basketball fan you get a lot of games on the weekend but following your team is difficult. Why I have PS Vue. I get NBCSN Chicago and the Big Ten network. I wish there was more sports on broadcast TV.