Cordy Glenn

tm1119

Reaction score
Randy White;4396415 said:
No, I haven't watched him play every game in his career at Georgia, but neither I have of DeCastro at Standford, or any of the of the top linemen, at their respective schools, that will get drafted at the top of the 1st round ( have you ? ). Yet, there's little doubt that, at least, they've shown the potential to play effectively in the next level.

What Glenn showed today is exactly that.

That I agree with to an extent because it wasn't just Upshaw who Glenn shut down. It was anybody who lined up in front him. And I'm talking about defensive tackles, defensive ends, and OLBs who are projected as pass rushers.

He had an outstanding day today. Let's see if he carries the momentum to the game itself and the workouts afterwards.

Look I like the kid too, think he has a bright future at guard. Youre comment that he could be our starting LT next year though was just too much and is what made me spark this argument.

But on another note, does anybody actually see us drafting a 340+lb guard? Isnt Garrett's philosophy to have athletic guards who are on the smaller side? Not saying I agree with this or that I would stay away from Glenn personally, just asking how realistic it is that we are looking at the kid given Garrett's
philosophies.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Cordy Glenn to me, and who had seen him play every game the last three years, he is better fit at OG but can be your #3 OT when needed. He is a more agile Orlando Franklin. I said it before, Glenn reminds me alotof Larry Allen

supercowboy8

Reaction score
tm1119;4396420 said:
Look I like the kid too, think he has a bright future at guard. Youre comment that he could be our starting LT next year though was just too much and is what made me spark this argument.

But on another note, does anybody actually see us drafting a 340+lb guard? Isnt Garrett's philosophy to have athletic guards who are on the smaller side? Not saying I agree with this or that I would stay away from Glenn personally, just asking how realistic it is that we are looking at the kid given Garrett's
philosophies.

Actually no. They went that way because that's all they had but Jerry said this week that they need more beef and size in the middle. So yes I think they would get a 340 pound ol like Glenn because Glenn because Glenn can move and pull and has great feet.

Randy White

Reaction score
tm1119;4396420 said:

Yea, but what I said was that I wouldn't have a problem ( or lose sleep ) if they decided to start him at LT. He's that good in my opinion, and what makes him an even better guard.

But on another note, does anybody actually see us drafting a 340+lb guard? Isnt Garrett's philosophy to have athletic guards who are on the smaller side? Not saying I agree with this or that I would stay away from Glenn personally, just asking how realistic it is that we are looking at the kid given Garrett's philosophies.

I hope not. I hope he learned a thing or two from the Tonys ( Wise and Sparano ) when it came to guards. Nate, Larry, Kevin Gogan, all three have been the best 3 guards that have played for the Cowboys since the late 80's and all were big, strong and athletic. Leonard Davis had his best year as a pro under Sparano.

Randy White

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4396426 said:
Cordy Glenn to me, and who had seen him play every game the last three years, he is better fit at OG but can be your #3 OT when needed. He is a more agile Orlando Franklin.

DUDE...!!!

The first time I saw Orlando Franklin was as an underclassman during drills at a UM game in the Orange Bowl against Temple. Immediately after the drills were over, I turned to my buddy and told him that the guy was going to be a starting guard in the NFL one day. One of the reasons why he wasn't noticed more was UM sucking so much. There was an immediate first impression of " oh, they're a bunch of talented underachievers " from almost ever corner of the profession when it came to evaluation. I really liked the kid.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course I've seen both play. You can't watch college football every Saturday and not catch Stanford and Georgia.

I just don't see much of a difference. Both are potential dominators inside and I think Glenn could play RT at a high level as well.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Randy White;4396445 said:
DUDE...!!!

The first time I saw Orlando Franklin was as an underclassman during drills at a UM game in the Orange Bowl against Temple. Immediately after the drills were over, I turned to my buddy and told him that the guy was going to be a starting guard in the NFL one day. One of the reasons why he wasn't noticed more was UM sucking so much. There was an immediate first impression of " oh, they're a bunch of talented underachievers " from almost ever corner of the profession when it came to evaluation. I really liked the kid.

Franklin was one of my pet cats. I'd have loved to have drafted him. I think he was in my final mock before the draft.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I think decastro is safer, but Glenn has a higher ceiling w/ his strength.

Decastro or Glenn + a 2nd round pick

I'll take the latter. We need multiple front 7 athletes

RS12

Reaction score
If they stay at 14 it has to be a cant miss guy. I think Ingram is gone before then. I think Upshaw is a little better than Spencer. I think Glen has alot of upside, dont know about cant miss. DeCastro IMO cant miss.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
RS12;4396485 said:
If they stay at 14 it has to be a cant miss guy. I think Ingram is gone before then. I think Upshaw is a little better than Spencer. I think Glen has alot of upside, dont know about cant miss. DeCastro IMO cant miss.

I agree I think Ingram is gone top 10 but I also think Upshaw has made himself a top 12 pick now.
The thing about the senior bowl, it makes everyone forget about the juniors. Hightower will be a beast at the NFL level and can play OLB. Also don't forget about Vontaze Burfict, yes he has concerns but I think he has worked on those this past year and will continue to mature.
hightower and Burfict have amazing strength ans speed and just always seems to be around the ball and making plays when needed. I would take Hightower before Burfict.
Hightower is ready to go day one as Burfict still needs to learn to play more disciplined and learn how to read the play more than just reacting and over running the play.

If i can't get Hightower in a trade back I would do it in a heart beat.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;4396296 said:
Whispers are he's just as good as decastro and we could buy ourselves some nice ammunition trading back

I don't know if he's just as good as DeCastro, but there ain't much of a difference...

My current belief is the Cowboys should sit tight at 14 and hope that DeCastro falls to them... if he doesn't. trade down to the low 20s, add another second rounder (looking at how my draft spreadsheet is shaping up right now, I really like the talent likely to be available in the second), and draft Glenn...

Ideally, the Boys would already have signed Carl Nicks in free agency, and you'd have a pair of agile 350 pounders manning your guard slots...

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
We might need decastro there to get full value for the pick though

If we go from 14 to 21-23 and pick up 53-55 in the process and get
Glenn
Merciless
Irvin
To go along with Nicks and Finnegan I'll take it. I would not take a CB there, he'd be our #4.

silverbear;4396515 said:
I don't know if he's just as good as DeCastro, but there ain't much of a difference...

My current belief is the Cowboys should sit tight at 14 and hope that DeCastro falls to them... if he doesn't. trade down to the low 20s, add another second rounder (looking at how my draft spreadsheet is shaping up right now, I really like the talent likely to be available in the second), and draft Glenn...

Ideally, the Boys would already have signed Carl Nicks in free agency, and you'd have a pair of agile 350 pounders manning your guard slots...

Randy White

Reaction score
I agree with much that with only one caviat:

When I trade down, I'm making sure it's still ahead of the Chargers because there's no way SD is passing on Glenn now.

However, I would use that to my advantage in another way. I'd use DeCastro to extract at least a 2nd round pick out of San Diego, plus other considerations, if they're desperate enough. I don't mind trading down to #18, getting the Chargers 2nd (49th? overall ) in the process.

I could do some serious damage with the 45th and 49th picks in the 2nd round.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I actually like Glenn a little bit more than DeCastro. DeCastro is a fine technician, he got really good coaching in college, but if I'm drafting a guard with a Top 15 pick he better be a freak of nature who is blowing people 5 yards off the ball in college ala Larry Allen in his prime, and I never see DeCastro doing that.

I think Glenn will eventually be just as good as a guard once he's allowed to move inside and focus on a much easier position and receive NFL caliber coaching. Plus I think he has a little more ceiling and he has the versatility to play multiple positions. I really don't think he would have much problem playing right tackle in the NFL, although he might be better at guard, because his arm length and wingspan at 35 1/8. Anything over 35 inches is freak caliber wingspan, even for offensive tackles. That's Marcus McNeil, D'Brickshaw Ferguson caliber arm length. I look at him as non-crazy Shawn Andrews.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Lot of blasphemy in this thread, claiming anyone could be better than David Decastro...

:cool: ;)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Randy White;4396293 said:
Hey folks:

Watch the South practices today and pay close attention to #71 wearing the Georgia Bulldogs helmet. Mr. Glenn made alot of money today.. Alot. Look closely how he moves his feet in pass protection, how he doesn't get driven back much, how he bends his knees, but more important:

How he does all of those things while playing RG, RT, LG and, yes, Left Tackle.

I just watched him cold stop Courtney Upshaw on a 7 drop step pass, block out the backside on a run to the opposite side, and pull on a sweep and take out the defensive back in consecutive plays: as a LEFT tackle.

and there he goes again, one on one against Courtney Upshaw as a left tackle and Upshaw didn't go anywhere..

He got crushed twice by Upshaw and once by Ingram in one on one drills. The jury is out on if he can play RT and LT isn't even a consideration at this point according to Mayock today.

He is a solid late R1 guy at this point but no higher and definitely not projected to play LT. Calling him Larry Allen like is pure lunacy.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
supercowboy8;4396493 said:
I agree I think Ingram is gone top 10 but I also think Upshaw has made himself a top 12 pick now.
The thing about the senior bowl, it makes everyone forget about the juniors. Hightower will be a beast at the NFL level and can play OLB. Also don't forget about Vontaze Burfict, yes he has concerns but I think he has worked on those this past year and will continue to mature.
hightower and Burfict have amazing strength ans speed and just always seems to be around the ball and making plays when needed. I would take Hightower before Burfict.
Hightower is ready to go day one as Burfict still needs to learn to play more disciplined and learn how to read the play more than just reacting and over running the play.

If i can't get Hightower in a trade back I would do it in a heart beat.

Ingram and Upshaw won't be high on every board. They don't have the measurables many teams want in a pass rusher. Short with short arms is a very real knock. They will be very high for Pittsburgh and some other teams though. Buffalo for one of these guys makes tons of sense, but Buffalo may also look at Spencer as an option.

There will be a couple other pass rushers go before them. Guys who are more traditional 4-3 ends.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Just caught up on the DVR, good call. Glenn looks grea, even got out in space on a screen and picked off a DB. He really can lock into the defender and turn and/or shield him from his RB. He would open holes, not just hold on for dear life.

And all the Texas School DL look jagtastic.

Coples is a baby Peppers all the way. Great athlete and very strong but he doesn't always love to compete

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
He got crushed twice by Upshaw and once by Ingram in one on one drills. The jury is out on if he can play RT and LT isn't even a consideration at this point according to Mayock today.

He gave a little ground to coples in 1 on 1. I didn't see what you said VS those guys. Especially in live action