Cordy Glenn

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4398432 said:
Nobody here had any interest in him playing RT..we didn't need a RT, Colombo was fine..we needed a guard

Please stop posting dumb stuff....

We did like Iupati who was gone BEFORE we drafted but we also needed a guy who could play OT later on. In case you didn't catch it we have lost both Flo and Columbo since then.

The versatility to play some OT gave him far more value than a plain OG prospect.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
jterrell;4398430 said:
The Cowboys have always given the OL lots of attention... just not high in the draft.
They had very highly paid OL for most of the last decade with Flo, Gurode, Bigg. We signed Kosier to a 5 mil per year deal to go with that costly veteran line.

Last year we said enough and went young. But we spent our top pick at OT, signed our LT to 8 mil per and then used a couple more draft picks on the OL. And signed two veteran free agents on the cheap.

Dallas will have to add some OG help but it doesn't have to be highly prized or cost pick 14. They still have a 4th round pick from last year and a rookie who broke camp as the start on the roster.

We absolutely needed to draft some OL last year. But we did. Now we have to see if they can play. Especially before we pay someone else 8 mil per to do so.

I agree. We are not nearly good enough to simply throw away our young OL prospects from last years draft. We have to find success in at least one of those guys IMO.

I would love the team to consider a prospect like Silatolu . A lot of people don't like this option because he is a D2 player but I really like a lot of what I have read on this guy. Really, any good prospect that can be developed would be OK with me. I just like this guy is all and he would be a guy who would not cost us a 1st round pick. Really, this a great year for Guard prospects.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4398432 said:
Nobody here had any interest in him playing RT..we didn't need a RT, Colombo was fine..we needed a guard

OK. Your story, you tell it.

burmafrd

Reaction score
jterrell;4398430 said:
The Cowboys have always given the OL lots of attention... just not high in the draft.
They had very highly paid OL for most of the last decade with Flo, Gurode, Bigg. We signed Kosier to a 5 mil per year deal to go with that costly veteran line.

Last year we said enough and went young. But we spent our top pick at OT, signed our LT to 8 mil per and then used a couple more draft picks on the OL. And signed two veteran free agents on the cheap.

Dallas will have to add some OG help but it doesn't have to be highly prized or cost pick 14. They still have a 4th round pick from last year and a rookie who broke camp as the start on the roster.

We absolutely needed to draft some OL last year. But we did. Now we have to see if they can play. Especially before we pay someone else 8 mil per to do so.

that sounds nice but does not address the fact that without a serious improvement in the O line Romo does not make it through another season.
Not to mention our lousy short yardage run game. Jerruh went cheap this season and Romo paid the price. I am amazed he did not end up the year on IR. We cannot afford to play around anymore; Killer MIGHT make a good center; Arkin MIGHT make a good Guard. But we need a real good one RIGHT now to really strengthen the O line and preserve Romo. Our screw ups and refusal to use HIGH draft choices on O line have put us in that position. We cannot wait any longer.

All those picks that we have used the last 6 years. Of the picks 3rd and lower exactly ONE so far has proven out- Free. One definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

burmafrd

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4398450 said:
I agree. We are not nearly good enough to simply throw away our young OL prospects from last years draft. We have to find success in at least one of those guys IMO.

I would love the team to consider a prospect like Silatolu . A lot of people don't like this option because he is a D2 player but I really like a lot of what I have read on this guy. Really, any good prospect that can be developed would be OK with me. I just like this guy is all and he would be a guy who would not cost us a 1st round pick. Really, this a great year for Guard prospects.

what are we throwing away? We can keep Nagy, Arkin and Killer; while still drafting or getting in FA real talent. Problem is we need results RIGHT now or Romo ends up on IR soon.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
burmafrd;4398462 said:
what are we throwing away? We can keep Nagy, Arkin and Killer; while still drafting or getting in FA real talent. Problem is we need results RIGHT now or Romo ends up on IR soon.

Which is why I advocate picking up a good FA to start at Guard. If we both draft a Guard at 1 and sign an FA, then we are pretty much throwing away the guys we drafted last year. They will not get the chance to be starters. At best, they will be reserves. Don't get me wrong, we need depth also but we really aren't even giving them a chance to develop if we go the expensive route, IMO.

jnday

Reaction score
I am all for taking DeCastro at 14 if he is there . I have no problem with taking the best guard prospect in 10 years and I'm not ashamed of it . I may be wrong but the one undisputed fact that I am right about , is the way the oline has been approached , has not worked .
I would like to see DeCastro at 14 and go with someone like Curry in the second . We could go with Ingram in the first and then try to work out a deal to draft Glenn. I wouldn't have a problem using two of the first three picks on the line .
As for free agency , I am not for spending 8 or 9 million a year on a free agent guard . You could get a couple of decent DBs with that kind of money .
The issue of OLB may not be an issue if Spencer is resigned . Even if he is resigned , I would consider Curry or a similar player .
This whole oline mess was created by poor drafting and poor player development . Romo does not have the time left in his career to wait to see if any of these scrubs actually start and play at a high level . This just happens to be the situation that this team is in . They can not address the oline with quality players and see how many wins they get without Romo .

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
jnday;4398477 said:
I am all for taking DeCastro at 14 if he is there . I have no problem with taking the best guard prospect in 10 years and I'm not ashamed of it . I may be wrong but the one undisputed fact that I am right about , is the way the oline has been approached , has not worked .
I would like to see DeCastro at 14 and go with someone like Curry in the second . We could go with Ingram in the first and then try to work out a deal to draft Glenn. I wouldn't have a problem using two of the first three picks on the line .
As for free agency , I am not for spending 8 or 9 million a year on a free agent guard . You could get a couple of decent DBs with that kind of money .
The issue of OLB may not be an issue if Spencer is resigned . Even if he is resigned , I would consider Curry or a similar player .
This whole oline mess was created by poor drafting and poor player development . Romo does not have the time left in his career to wait to see if any of these scrubs actually start and play at a high level . This just happens to be the situation that this team is in . They can not address the oline with quality players and see how many wins they get without Romo .

Where is this best Guard in 10 years coming from? I have asked this before and you referred me to the draft sites we have posted in this forum but I looked at them and I saw nothing that confirmed this. Honest question, who is grading him out as the the best Guard in 10 years?

Who are the DBs that you could get for 8 or 9 million combined?

JBS

Reaction score
Yeah! The 49ers really intended to draft Iupati to play OT..they drafted Staley prior and Davis in the same class..that's exactly why Iupati went so high, SF intended on him playing OT...lmao..

burmafrd

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4398499 said:
Where is this best Guard in 10 years coming from? I have asked this before and you referred me to the draft sites we have posted in this forum but I looked at them and I saw nothing that confirmed this. Honest question, who is grading him out as the the best Guard in 10 years?

a whole lot more people then what support your claims he is not. You can whine and cry all you want but the bottom line is that you are wrong. IF your ego can take the beating, so a little research yourself.

jnday

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4398499 said:

Bunting is one that has spoke of DeCastro in those terms . I have a feeling that it wouldn't change your opinion if you knew for a fact that he would be a 10 year all-pro selection . I don't know what your answer to solving the oline problem would be . I think I just place a higher value on the position than you . I am tired of serviceable being the standard .
As for the subject of free agents , there has been two or three list posted recently . With Scandrick getting paid starter money , Dallas will be shopping for mid-tier free agents IMO.
I agree with you on one major point . I don't see Dallas spending the resources to fix the oline . That would actually make too much sense .

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4398503 said:
Yeah! The 49ers really intended to draft Iupati to play OT..they drafted Staley prior and Davis in the same class..that's exactly why Iupati went so high, SF intended on him playing OT...lmao..

In all seriousness, the 49ers were not certain about Staley in 2010. Staley had not shown exceptionally well in his first two seasons and in 2009 and 2010, he dealt with injury problems that forced him to miss 12 games. I would not say the 49ers were ready to give up on him but they did have some questions as to if he could play LT for them. In 2010, the 49ers drafted both Iupati and Davis. It is not far fetched for the 49ers to have considered Iupati as an option at OT if Staley had not come around or if Davis had not worked out. Fortunately for them, and in no small part to the presence of a new Coaching Staff, Staley came around and Davis turned out to be a good player. That left Iupati as an exceptional talent at Guard.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
jnday;4398521 said:
Bunting is one that has spoke of DeCastro in those terms . I have a feeling that it wouldn't change your opinion if you knew for a fact that he would be a 10 year all-pro selection . I don't know what your answer to solving the oline problem would be . I think I just place a higher value on the position than you . I am tired of serviceable being the standard .
As for the subject of free agents , there has been two or three list posted recently . With Scandrick getting paid starter money , Dallas will be shopping for mid-tier free agents IMO.
I agree with you on one major point . I don't see Dallas spending the resources to fix the oline . That would actually make too much sense .

I guess I missed the article from Bunting.

I think it's crazy to call somebody the best anything before he has had an opportunity to go to the combine but lets say, just for the sake of discussion that he does grade out that well. I would not take him at 14 because I am much more in favor of landing help via FA. Now, I acknowledge the fact that we have made some questionable calls in FA but if we can believe what many say about Callahan, then we have one of the top OL Coaches in the NFL with Cowboys now. I have to trust that he will evaluate the talent better then what we have seen in the recent past. I can't believe that we would sign another Rivera per say. I am actually more worried about the Center position then I am the Guard position at this point.

My idea on how to fix the OL is simple. Sign a good FA Guard. Use what we have now in Kosier, Holland and Dockery to battle for the starting position at the other Guard spot. We know that Kosier can do it if he can stay healthy but that has proven to be problematic at this stage of his career. Same with Holland. He has not played poorly this year, when healthy. Again, it's an issue to keep him healthy. He needs to come to camp in better shape then even last year. Dockery, we don't really know what we have there. He didn't really play this year. Between the three of those guys, I would like to see one of them win the job. The winner gets extended the rest go home. Keep the one who wins that battle on hand until one of the younger guys improves enough to become the starter. Once that occurs, replace Kosier/Holland/Dockery with the younger player and allow youth to take it's natural course. Draft a player at Guard this year (maybe in the 3rd) and develop him as well. We have two good young Tackles. If we sign a good prospect at Guard, I think that simply leaves Center to be solidified. That is what I would like to see happen this year.

If we were in a position to have more then just a single CB on the team who I felt was worthy of starting and if we had another strong pass rusher, I would absolutely embrace the idea of taking more OL high. We aren't and I just do not believe we can afford to invest a 1st round pick on a guard. I would be skeptical of doing this in the 1st round at any point, that's true. I would feel better if it were a high 20 or 30 pick of the 1st round but yeah, I would rather see us use 2nd round and lower picks for Guards because too many of them prove to be successful in the lower rounds. JMO.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
If Cordy Glenn has a first round grade, he should at least be in the mix at 14. The players are probably going to start blending together at some point, anyway. I'd say the Cowboys are most likely stuck at 14, too.

The Cowboys are no where near good enough in the offensive line (including players like Arkin, Nagy, and Costa) to just ignore a talent like Cordy Glenn. They really have three holes inside if you count Costa. They have two big holes at guard, imo.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
jnday;4398298 said:
I see Burm has beat me to the DeCastro list , but nowhere in my post did I mention the name DeCastro . I was pointing out that undervaluing the line is what has gotten us in to this mess . The Cowboys and many fans still look at the line position like it was twenty years ago. The thought that you can always draft linemen later is outdated . How has the Cowboys'approach worked these last few years ? Not so good . Other teams are investing with quality picks and Dallas depends on washed up veterans and late round draft picks along with undrafted scrubs. I thought that after the sucess of Tyron that maybe people would wake up . That is not the case .
I don't want Nick at the price that it will take either . Dallas is getting out of salary cap hell , so they shouldn't get back in it . I would rather spend a couple of high picks on the line and spend the rest of the picks and salary cap money on defense .

according to an article on blogging the boys http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012...ers-when-will-top-players-go-at-each-position the average position for taking the best guard in the draft is with the 27th pick of the first rnd and center sometime in the 2nd rnd.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
burmafrd;4398519 said:
a whole lot more people then what support your claims he is not. You can whine and cry all you want but the bottom line is that you are wrong. IF your ego can take the beating, so a little research yourself.

Show me the research that supports it. I've looked and have not found credible verification of this. LOL all these "your wrong" statements before the combine. Ridiculous

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I really wish Arkin would pan out, but I fear it's another pick in the Jacob Rogers/Peterman/Brewster mold.

johnnyd

Reaction score
Avery;4399082 said:
I really wish Arkin would pan out, but I fear it's another pick in the Jacob Rogers/Peterman/Brewster mold.

im not giving up on him just yet ..everyone knew he was a redshirt pick and we just havent heard much about him sans the pontification from the board experts that assume no news is bad news.. all it would take is one good OTA for him to garner some buzz and all the people will be penciling him in as a starter faster than a JJ lipsmack:D

Randy White

Reaction score
jterrell;4398094 said:
There is a decade of football disagreeing with you. You do not generally succeed committing premium resources (high draft picks or large dollars) to interior OL. Not in this pass happy skill-starved age. Interior OL are the least valued positions on the field amongst the starting 22But we shall see.

I disagree wholeheartedly.

Now more than ever and exactly because of this pass happy skill-starved age, the interior of the line has become that important. The fastest route to the QB is up the middle, like the Cowboys' O-line has proven over the past 2 seasons. Going on memory alone, I'd venture a good guess that 3/4th of the sacks and pressure that TR suffered over that time came right up the middle.

Guard Mike Iupati was the 17th player taken in the 2010 draft, Center Maurkice Pouncey was the 18th, his brother Mike Pouncey was the 15th player taken in the 2011 draft, center Alex Mack was the 21st in 2009, Guard Branden Albert was the 15th in 2008.. etc..etc

With protecting the QB position becoming THE top priority for teams, this trend is going to be increasing, in my opinion. I wouldn't be shocked when guards and centers start sneaking into the top 10 in the near future.

Randy White

Reaction score
look who's starting at the left tackle position for the South in the Senior Bowl game and doing a pretty solid job so far.

If Glenn can sustain this level of play at LT on the next level, he's going to become a dominant force at the guard position and, as I said earlier, the coaches would not lose a wink of sleep if he has to play LT.