Cornerback seems like our most likely option

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Kinlaw will probably be long gone unless he has knee issues.

Maybe Derrick Brown could fall a little? I think he's a good player and controls the LOS well but I just don't see him having a huge impact. IMO he's not worth a top 10 pick in todays NFL.

Chaisson - I think the upside is huge with this player and he's one of my favorites if we draft someone in the front 7.

The most likely thing though is Byron leaves in FA and we draft one of these corners.

Which corners do you like?

I know the Ohio State guy is a lock for top 10.

I see the LSU corner is projected around our pick. He looks like a really good cover guy.

I really like Trevon Diggs. I just think it's good to have a corner at his size who can turn, run, and play the ball.

What's your thoughts on corners because it looks like that is the most likely option??

Creeper

Reaction score
I would be very disappointed if Dallas has to use their first round pick on a CB. Looking at the list of free agents and the performance of the defense, there is no doubt that DL is the priority. I agree Byron Jones is probably a goner, but Brown will probably sign a one year deal with Dallas since he is coming back from injury. With Awuzie, Lewis and Brown the Cowboys can wait until the 3rd and 4th rounds to take CBs for depth. But the only DTs they have are Crawford, coming off of an injury, Hill and A. Woods. They need better starters than that so now would be a good time to draft a DT in the first round. Or, they can go with a Safety in the 1st round to bolster the secondary and help their 3 CBs - also a better move than taking a CB.

But assuming they are open to drafting a CB in the 1st round, I wonder if they will be shy about taking one from LSU after getting burned so badly with Morris Claiborne.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't like any of them at 17, but it's hard to know without really knowing what the defense is going to be.

I like Diggs too, but he seems a lot like Chido to me. The better value is in the second round - guys like Arnette and Gladney I think will be contributors just as quickly as the other guys.

I still hate the logic of letting Byron walk and then replacing him with a first-round pick who will be a downgrade. You either value the position or you don't.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I would be very disappointed if Dallas has to use their first round pick on a CB. Looking at the list of free agents and the performance of the defense, there is no doubt that DL is the priority. I agree Byron Jones is probably a goner, but Brown will probably sign a one year deal with Dallas since he is coming back from injury. With Awuzie, Lewis and Brown the Cowboys can wait until the 3rd and 4th rounds to take CBs for depth. But the only DTs they have are Crawford, coming off of an injury, Hill and A. Woods. They need better starters than that so now would be a good time to draft a DT in the first round. Or, they can go with a Safety in the 1st round to bolster the secondary and help their 3 CBs - also a better move than taking a CB.

But assuming they are open to drafting a CB in the 1st round, I wonder if they will be shy about taking one from LSU after getting burned so badly with Morris Claiborne.

I would be disappointed as well but it’s a smart move if they don’t want to invest cap space into that position..

They’ll just have to draft new CBs every 4 or 5 years.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Drafting a corner in the first doesn't save you that much on the cap. Mike Williams' - #17 pick last year - cap hit is around $6 million. You can get Byron at a cap hit of around $10m depending on how you structure. You downgrade CB, miss out on another position in the first, and only save $4-$5m when you have $90m in space.

Just really flawed logic to me.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

The rest of the secondary is unrestricted after next season; Awuzie, Lewis and X Woods. They are going to have to address this area with serious draft capital, not depth type of players. Fully understand the need along the DL, but they may have a bigger hole in the back-end, especially if Bryon signs elsewhere. I would love defensive line reinforcements early and often, but probably unrealistic to expect.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Drafting a corner in the first doesn't save you that much on the cap. Mike Williams' - #17 pick last year - cap hit is around $6 million. You can get Byron at a cap hit of around $10m depending on how you structure. You downgrade CB, miss out on another position in the first, and only save $4-$5m when you have $90m in space.

Just really flawed logic to me.

What kind of contract do you see Byron getting?

I think he's looking at 18-20 mill a year..

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

That seems high.

But even if it is that high, you can just structure it with bonuses so the cap hit is a lot lower.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That seems high.

But even if it is that high, you can just structure it with bonuses so the cap hit is a lot lower.

Yeah I think he's about to be the highest paid corner in the league or close to it.

Bigdog

Reaction score
if Derrick Brown is there when we are on the clock, it is no brainer. You better be running to the podium. This is assuming that Okuhah and Young are gone.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't like any of them at 17, but it's hard to know without really knowing what the defense is going to be.

I like Diggs too, but he seems a lot like Chido to me. The better value is in the second round - guys like Arnette and Gladney I think will be contributors just as quickly as the other guys.

I still hate the logic of letting Byron walk and then replacing him with a first-round pick who will be a downgrade. You either value the position or you don't.

Tend to agree.

I think there will be CBs in there in the 2nd and 3rd round. Gun to head though, they may be forced to go CB depending on the board and if they have any options to drop back and pick up some picks.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Ive seen Gladney talked about as a guy that might rise to R1

Sydla

Reaction score

Howard is the largest CB contract right not at just over $15MM per year and that's a recent contract. Marcus Peters just signed an extension last month that pays him around $14MM a year.

I don't think there's anyway Jones gets 18-20MM.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tend to agree.

I think there will be CBs in there in the 2nd and 3rd round. Gun to head though, they may be forced to go CB depending on the board and if they have any options to drop back and pick up some picks.
If dont get good value, Im hoping we can pull a 2013

I dont want Eric Reid at 17

Sydla

Reaction score
The other thing to note here............. the CB market in FA seems to be pretty decent. Jones and Harris seem to be the top names but there seems to be some decent options in FA if we let Jones walk but want to bring in a vet CB.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Tend to agree.

This is what I worry about.

But to me it's a no brainer to go WR at 17 if the DL you like are gone. That's where the value is in this draft.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The other thing to note here............. the CB market in FA seems to be pretty decent. Jones and Harris seem to be the top names but there seems to be some decent options in FA if we let Jones walk but want to bring in a vet CB.
Harris and Jimmy Smith are really the only guys in Byron's class, but they're pretty old.

I don't hate the idea of Harris on a 1-2 year deal, even if it's a higher price tag than we'd like.

John813

Reaction score
I like CJ Henderson out of Florida.

Don't know where he falls in the draft though.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Harris and Jimmy Smith are really the only guys in Byron's class, but they're pretty old.

I don't hate the idea of Harris on a 1-2 year deal, even if it's a higher price tag than we'd like.
Wouldnt be surprised if the plan is for Awuzie and Lewis to be the starters next year if we cant retain Jones. Even if we draft a guy high, we will probably sign a guy like Fuller to be a sub package guy, of we don't bring back Brown.

Not saying thats a great plan, but if they dont spend on Jones I dont see them spending more than sub package money on the position