Cornerback seems like our most likely option

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Gladney actually runs a 40 time in the 4.3s and is one of the the fastest players in the draft. He also benches 400 Lbs and squats 620, landing him #13 on Bruce Feldman's freaks list. He's already a late 1st or early 2nd and will climb after the combine. Walter football having him ranked 10th best CB is laughable.
He's a monster athlete and by far the most athletic CB in this class. He tied for second nationally among CBs for lowest completion percentage allowed 33.3%, when targeted. Pro Football Focus rated him No. 1 in the Big 12 in lowest passer rating allowed 46.9 with a minimum of 200 coverage snaps. He also ranked No. 1 in the Big 12 in only surrendering a reception every 16.5 coverage snaps.

Barring an injury or some trades that throw everything out of whack, he's going to go in the 1st round. The only question is how high.

The only knock I have on Gladney is that he has too many passes broken up that could've been interceptions. He tends to attack the ball with his hands instead of just catching it when a sure pick is headed his way. If the coaches can fix that, you'd be looking at a guy that could be among the league leaders in INTs, passes broken up and tackles at the CB position.

Here's a video that gives you an idea of how many picks he could've had instead of pass break ups. That's the only bad thing that I have to say about him and he most surely will be an option at #17.

he weighs about 180 pounds. How many 180 pound outside corners are there in the NFL? Walter football is the best website for draft information.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’ll sign an adequate vet at CB and give the team options on draft day. We do need a CB somewhere in the top three rounds, regardless.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
he weighs about 180 pounds. How many 180 pound outside corners are there in the NFL? Walter football is the best website for draft information.

He weighs 183. The average for NFL CBs is 193. So he can stand to fill out his frame and I never disputed that. But they are WAY off by putting him 10th. Or should I say their "sources" were off. Even if he doesn't put on 10lbs, I know of one outside CB that will be playing in the NFL in the 180's come next season, and his name is Jeff Gladney. 4th or 5th? Okay. But 10th? Come on now. Lets see how quickly they change their tune after the Combine.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Predicting the draft before the combine and free agency seems like an effort in futility. It all depends on both of those playing out. Right now the draft is strong at the WR an CB positions but that could change somewhat after the combine and college pro days. We may sign a CB or WR in free agency also. Once FA has played out is the time for draft speculation.

dallas72

Reaction score
Howard is the largest CB contract right not at just over $15MM per year and that's a recent contract. Marcus Peters just signed an extension last month that pays him around $14MM a year.

I don't think there's anyway Jones gets 18-20MM.
4 year 48mil is wear Byron probably gets. Has 0 ball skills

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
4 year 48mil is wear Byron probably gets. Has 0 ball skills

If I’m a team that’s interested in Byron, I give him a decent (~$10M/per) but not exorbitant offer, but provide incentives for each interception as they do sometimes with DEs and sacks.

Seriously, like $750K-1M per pick.

He’s a good corner but there’s no way I give a guy top market dollar when he doesn’t make plays on the ball.

jaybeware

Reaction score
I am hoping this new regime is more savy then the past. If I had a choice between letting jones walk to draft a cb or hitting jones with the tag aimed elsewhere jones gets the tag though he is not elite he is an all pro corner and you just dont let guys like that walk.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I don't like any of the CBs in this years draft....the old school backpeddle is a lost art. :(

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama
Diggs has a very good skill set with size and speed, but sources from multiple teams were not overly impressed with what Diggs put on tape in 2019. Multiple teams graded Diggs in the second round based off of some bad tape. They feel Diggs' mental toughness is a concern and are worried he could fold in the big games. They acknowledge that some team might fall in love with his length and ball skills to take him late in the first round, but multiple teams have graded Diggs in Round 2 of the 2020 NFL Draft.

Overrated imo even before i saw this.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama
Diggs has a very good skill set with size and speed, but sources from multiple teams were not overly impressed with what Diggs put on tape in 2019. Multiple teams graded Diggs in the second round based off of some bad tape. They feel Diggs' mental toughness is a concern and are worried he could fold in the big games. They acknowledge that some team might fall in love with his length and ball skills to take him late in the first round, but multiple teams have graded Diggs in Round 2 of the 2020 NFL Draft.

Overrated imo even before i saw this.

I’m not sure how well he’s going to run and I think he’s more of a zone guy.

I have no idea if we’ll be running more zone or man with the new DC?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I’m not sure how well he’s going to run and I think he’s more of a zone guy.

I have no idea if we’ll be running more zone or man with the new DC?
Green bay was mostly man coverage with guys like Al harris.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't like any of the CBs in this years draft....the old school backpeddle is a lost art. :(

I like the Ohio State corner and I think the LSU corner is ok but the rest look like 2nd round at best guys to me.

I think anything short of Kinlaw is just a huge disappointment for Dallas coming out of the first round.. He’s exactly what we need

But hey.. Aren’t you glad we won that week 17 game against Washington? Lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the Ohio State corner and I think the LSU corner is ok but the rest look like 2nd round at best guys to me.

I think anything short of Kinlaw is just a huge disappointment for Dallas coming out of the first round.. He’s exactly what we need

But hey.. Aren’t you glad we won that week 17 game against Washington? Lol

Garrett's final 'gift'...
:angry: