Cornerback seems like our most likely option

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I would be very disappointed if Dallas has to use their first round pick on a CB. Looking at the list of free agents and the performance of the defense, there is no doubt that DL is the priority. I agree Byron Jones is probably a goner, but Brown will probably sign a one year deal with Dallas since he is coming back from injury. With Awuzie, Lewis and Brown the Cowboys can wait until the 3rd and 4th rounds to take CBs for depth. But the only DTs they have are Crawford, coming off of an injury, Hill and A. Woods. They need better starters than that so now would be a good time to draft a DT in the first round. Or, they can go with a Safety in the 1st round to bolster the secondary and help their 3 CBs - also a better move than taking a CB.

But assuming they are open to drafting a CB in the 1st round, I wonder if they will be shy about taking one from LSU after getting burned so badly with Morris Claiborne.

Wow, Awuzie who is worse than Jones, Lewis who is a slot guy, and Brown. Whoppie. Ya, let's wait for the 3rd or 4th round.

morasp

Reaction score
His highlights on youtube look pretty good.

RANK 27

Jaylon-Johnson-1.jpg

Jaylon Johnson, CB

School: Utah | Year: Junior

Johnson offers an enticing size/speed combination for the position. He plays a lot of press-bail technique, but also flashes a firm two-hand jam. He is very fluid to open up and has plenty of long speed to carry vertical routes. He also excels when he slides inside to cover the slot. He was rarely challenged down the field in the games I studied. His ball production was outstanding in 2018 and opposing teams chose to avoid him this fall. He is very aggressive versus the run. He closes quickly before coming to balance and delivering firm tackles. Overall, Johnson is very talented and should be a Day 1 starter outside with the potential to cover in the slot, as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...hs-top-50-2020-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-10

Creeper

Reaction score
Wow, Awuzie who is worse than Jones, Lewis who is a slot guy, and Brown. Whoppie. Ya, let's wait for the 3rd or 4th round.

I never said Awuzie is better than Jones. He's not. But Lewis is not a slot CB. Brown is. Lewis is better outside. My point is Dallas can live with those 3 guys starting. And if they can improve their defensive line the CBs will look a lot better. But go ahead and draft for flash, that's how the Cowboys defense got were it is,, no safeties and no DTs.

garyv

Reaction score
Kinlaw will probably be long gone unless he has knee issues.

Maybe Derrick Brown could fall a little? I think he's a good player and controls the LOS well but I just don't see him having a huge impact. IMO he's not worth a top 10 pick in todays NFL.

Chaisson - I think the upside is huge with this player and he's one of my favorites if we draft someone in the front 7.

The most likely thing though is Byron leaves in FA and we draft one of these corners.

Which corners do you like?

I know the Ohio State guy is a lock for top 10.

I see the LSU corner is projected around our pick. He looks like a really good cover guy.

I really like Trevon Diggs. I just think it's good to have a corner at his size who can turn, run, and play the ball.

What's your thoughts on corners because it looks like that is the most likely option??

I see DT in the first Round or Safety. I see CB in 2nd or 3rd Rounds.

garyv

Reaction score
His highlights on youtube look pretty good.

RANK 27

Jaylon-Johnson-1.jpg

Jaylon Johnson, CB

School: Utah | Year: Junior

Johnson offers an enticing size/speed combination for the position. He plays a lot of press-bail technique, but also flashes a firm two-hand jam. He is very fluid to open up and has plenty of long speed to carry vertical routes. He also excels when he slides inside to cover the slot. He was rarely challenged down the field in the games I studied. His ball production was outstanding in 2018 and opposing teams chose to avoid him this fall. He is very aggressive versus the run. He closes quickly before coming to balance and delivering firm tackles. Overall, Johnson is very talented and should be a Day 1 starter outside with the potential to cover in the slot, as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...hs-top-50-2020-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-10

Hes a player I had them taking in the second round. I had Kinlaw in the first round and Trevon Diggs in third round but many said Diggs would go higher.

Last edited:

morasp

Reaction score
Hes a player I had them taking in the second round. I had Kinlaw in the first round and Trevon Diggs in third round but many said Diggs would go higher.
He makes sense, they pretty much said they want ballhawks and he had six interceptions in 18/19.

cowboyec

Reaction score
if we go CB @17...Kristian Fulton,Lsu...please and thank you.

after Rd1...Damon Arnette,Ohio St...Dane Jackson,Pitt...Lamar Jackson,Nebraska...Lavert Hill,Michigan and Debione Renfro,Texas A&M are guys I like so far.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/draft2020CB.php

Fulton isnt close to Arnette. Dbu

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Maybe Derrick Brown could fall a little? I think he's a good player and controls the LOS well but I just don't see him having a huge impact. IMO he's not worth a top 10 pick in todays NFL.

Chaisson - I think the upside is huge with this player and he's one of my favorites if we draft someone in the front 7.

The most likely thing though is Byron leaves in FA and we draft one of these corners.

I see the LSU corner is projected around our pick. He looks like a really good cover guy.

I really like Trevon Diggs. I just think it's good to have a corner at his size who can turn, run, and play the ball.

What's your thoughts on corners because it looks like that is the most likely option??
:facepalm:

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Ive seen Gladney talked about as a guy that might rise to R1

I was just getting to ask if I'm the only one in this thread who knows about Jeff Gladney. Some of the more recent mocks I've seen have him late 1st or very early 2nd. He have freaky athletic testing numbers and he's going to shoot up draft boards after the Combine. That should put him in our range at 17.

Beaker42

Reaction score

Right now we have more holes than the desert set of the movie.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I was just getting to ask if I'm the only one in this thread who knows about Jeff Gladney. Some of the more recent mocks I've seen have him late 1st or very early 2nd. He have freaky athletic testing numbers and he's going to shoot up draft boards after the Combine. That should put him in our range at 17.

He’s a beast...might be the 3rd CB off the board.

conner01

Reaction score
Awuzie and Lewis are free agents next year
Even if we keep brown or Jones we need CB and we can’t gamble on a 4th being ready to start next year

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Gladney write up from Walter football

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/TCU_logo.gif Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU
Height: 6-0. Weight: 183.
Projected 40 Time: 4.48.
Projected Round (2020): 2-3.
: Sources say Gladney has real cover skills to run with receivers and prevent separation. If he were a little bigger and didn't have off-the-field concerns, he might be a higher pick. Gladney has speed and athleticism to run the route, but big wideouts gave him problems, making catches over him or walling him off on routine possessional routes. Thus, Gladney could be a better fit as a nickel corner in the NFL.

Gladney totaled 31 tackles with an interception and 14 passes broken up for 2019. In 2018, he had 41 tackles with two interceptions and 13 passes broken up. He also had two interceptions as a sophomore. Gladney could stand to fill out his frame for the NFL.

Have him ranked 10th best cb. Hes not an option at 17

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I watched Trevon Diggs and liked him. Absolutely huge, can still run, and of course the Bama guys are always coached up on technique.

Still watching DBs, but right now he's my #3 CB behind Okudah and Fulton.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I watched Trevon Diggs and liked him. Absolutely huge, can still run, and of course the Bama guys are always coached up on technique.

Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama
Height: 6-2. Weight: 195.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
Projected Round (2020): 1-2.
2/8/20: In 2019, Diggs had 37 tackles, three interceptions and eight passes defended. He was a solid cover corner for Alabama.

For the NFL, Diggs is going to need some development and has some rawness to him. That's understandable given his injury history and playing some wide receiver early on at Alabama. Diggs has above-average instincts but is not a natural defender. He is late getting his head around to track the ball in flight and bites on double moves. Still, Diggs is big and can run, so he projects to being a starting corner on the outside. Multiple team sources said they graded him on the second day of the 2020 NFL Draft, but he could sneak into the first round because of his skill set.

Not a ringing endorsement.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama
Height: 6-2. Weight: 195.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
Projected Round (2020): 1-2.
2/8/20: In 2019, Diggs had 37 tackles, three interceptions and eight passes defended. He was a solid cover corner for Alabama.

For the NFL, Diggs is going to need some development and has some rawness to him. That's understandable given his injury history and playing some wide receiver early on at Alabama. Diggs has above-average instincts but is not a natural defender. He is late getting his head around to track the ball in flight and bites on double moves. Still, Diggs is big and can run, so he projects to being a starting corner on the outside. Multiple team sources said they graded him on the second day of the 2020 NFL Draft, but he could sneak into the first round because of his skill set.

Not a ringing endorsement.

He reminds me of Byron. Not a "natural" defender, but they're both huge, fast and know how to press. I see a pretty direct route to NFL success for Diggs.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Take the best player on your board. If it's a corner, so be it.

If you have two players very close, one happens to be a dlineman and the other a corner, I'll take the dlineman.....but don't reach for a position of need.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

He seems like a very safe prospect with upside.

If it gets to 17 and all of the must have players are off the board then I hope we move back.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Gladney write up from Walter football

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/TCU_logo.gif Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU
Height: 6-0. Weight: 183.
Projected 40 Time: 4.48.
Projected Round (2020): 2-3.
: Sources say Gladney has real cover skills to run with receivers and prevent separation. If he were a little bigger and didn't have off-the-field concerns, he might be a higher pick. Gladney has speed and athleticism to run the route, but big wideouts gave him problems, making catches over him or walling him off on routine possessional routes. Thus, Gladney could be a better fit as a nickel corner in the NFL.

Gladney totaled 31 tackles with an interception and 14 passes broken up for 2019. In 2018, he had 41 tackles with two interceptions and 13 passes broken up. He also had two interceptions as a sophomore. Gladney could stand to fill out his frame for the NFL.

Have him ranked 10th best cb. Hes not an option at 17

Gladney actually runs a 40 time in the 4.3s and is one of the the fastest players in the draft. He also benches 400 Lbs and squats 620, landing him #13 on Bruce Feldman's freaks list. He's already a late 1st or early 2nd and will climb after the combine. Walter football having him ranked 10th best CB is laughable.
He's a monster athlete and by far the most athletic CB in this class. He tied for second nationally among CBs for lowest completion percentage allowed 33.3%, when targeted. Pro Football Focus rated him No. 1 in the Big 12 in lowest passer rating allowed 46.9 with a minimum of 200 coverage snaps. He also ranked No. 1 in the Big 12 in only surrendering a reception every 16.5 coverage snaps.

Barring an injury or some trades that throw everything out of whack, he's going to go in the 1st round. The only question is how high.

The only knock I have on Gladney is that he has too many passes broken up that could've been interceptions. He tends to attack the ball with his hands instead of just catching it when a sure pick is headed his way. If the coaches can fix that, you'd be looking at a guy that could be among the league leaders in INTs, passes broken up and tackles at the CB position.

Here's a video that gives you an idea of how many picks he could've had instead of pass break ups. That's the only bad thing that I have to say about him and he most surely will be an option at #17.