Cornerbacks scorching the 40 at Combine

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
TheCount;1971031 said:
It's not even just his 40, he's absolutely killing every drill. He's got quick feet, and has yet to drop a ball. I don't think he goes 7th overall to the Pats, but if he lasts till 22nd, I will be absolutely shocked.

Yea, I know.

He had one of the very best vertical jumps as well. He is a guy who could go up and compete with even Randy Moss for the ball.

He looked like the best player at the Senior Bowl and should probably go top 10.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1971066 said:
Interesting, Vintage kinda brought him to my attn by saying he reminded him of Newman.

And then he did an ESPN chat at the senior bowl, and he said that Newman was who he modeled his game after, I believe.

Awww, you remembered.

But yeah, from a physical talent perspective....he reminds me of Newman. Obviously, he is not nearly as polished, but I think he could develop into a similar style of player. And having him and Newman on the outside, gives us an athletic tandem that could give us plenty of freedom to run whatever coverages we wish to run (hopefully, more man 2 man)

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
jterrell;1971094 said:
Yea, I know.

He had one of the very best vertical jumps as well. He is a guy who could go up and compete with even Randy Moss for the ball.

He looked like the best player at the Senior Bowl and should probably go top 10.

What was funny is that in the later drills, they started testing him a bit. They were purposefully throwing balls high and making him go get it, and he was getting up there. Even some of the guys running the drills started patting him on the back when he'd rejoin the rest of the guys.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
It's disapointing how DRC is doing so well with these drills he is playing his way out our draft pick slot.

:bang2:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
DallasDomination;1970986 said:
DRC looks like a guy that would get ran over bad!. Imagine him trying to tackle MB3:laugh2: :laugh2:

LOL

Thats not fair. Many have had problems trying to tackle the Barbarian.

2much2soon

Reaction score
I think Scandrick ended up with 7 blocked kicks in his 3 years at BSU. He just about singlehandedly beat Hawaii in Hawaii when he was a freshmen with blocked kicks and returns of those blocks.
He is projected to be a 2nd day pick, btw.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Sounds like a good matchup

Hostile;1971035 said:
I'd plotz if we could get him in the 2nd. At football speed the guy stayed with DeSean Jackson like a glove. He fights for the ball and defends the pass.

One of the biggest plays for Antoine Cason last season was one he missed.

With 2:14 remaining and Arizona leading Cal 24-20, Cason lunged to tackle Bears receiver DeSean Jackson but came up short. Jackson took the pass 63 yards for an apparent touchdown. However, replay officials ruled Jackson stepped out of bounds on his way to the end zone.

Cason missed his shot to tackle Jackson, but he got the better of his former high school rival on the scoreboard. Arizona's Ronnie Palmer ended the Cal possession with an interception, and the Wildcats preserved the 24-20 win.

The upset cost Cal an outright Pac-10 title and a Rose Bowl berth.

The game was yet another one-on-one battle between two players who went to high school fewer than 10 miles apart.

Jackson, who graduated from Long Beach Poly in Los Angeles, finished the day with six catches and 131 yards - including a 62-yard touchdown reception. He added a 95-yard punt return for a score.
Cason, who graduated from Long Beach (Calif.) Los Alamitos, earned a victory that day. His 39-yard interception return for a touchdown in the fourth quarter gave Arizona the lead.

Hardly the first meeting between the country's top receiver and top defensive back, Jackson and Cason have gone toe-to-toe since their teenage years.

"I think we keep it even," Cason said. "I'd like to say I got the better of him last year. He'll tell you he got the better of me."

Cason and Jackson have gained familiarity with each other over the years, and together they are among the country's elite.

In Rivals.com's latest power rankings, Cason is

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I always find it funny how a guy runs a fast time and all of the sudden he's a "Must have". Not necessarily talking about Cromartie, just in general. For example some people are all over Chris Johnson's testicles eventhough he's a 2nd rounder AT BEST, but they want him at #22. I'll take Ray Rice over CJ every day of the week and twice on sundays.

You all can have your BJ Tuckers and their sub 4.4's, I'll take Everson Walls and his 4.7 and we'll see who ends up with a better FOOTBALL player.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1971011 said:
The official list
11:53 AM Tue, Feb 26, 2008 | Permalink
Albert Breer E-mail News tips

The official 40-yard dash times from the defensive backs have been released and, as expected, they differ a little bit from the Network's instant times.

Here's the list, with our man DRC replaced at the top by Penn State CB Justin King.

1. Justin King, Penn State: 4.31
2. Tyrod Branch, UConn: 4.31
3. Orlando Scandrick, Boise State: 4.32
4. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State: 4.33
5. Josh Barrett, Arizona State: 4.35
6. Terrence Wheatley, Colorado: 4.37
7. Tracy Porter, Indiana: 4.37
8. Michael Grant, Arkansas: 4.37
9. Jonathan Wilhite, Auburn: 4.38
10. Leodis McKelvin, Troy: 4.38

Josh Barrett ran a 4.35? That guy weighed in at 223 I think. That's pretty quick for a big safety like that.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Rack;1971800 said:
I always find it funny how a guy runs a fast time and all of the sudden he's a "Must have". Not necessarily talking about Cromartie, just in general. For example some people are all over Chris Johnson's testicles eventhough he's a 2nd rounder AT BEST, but they want him at #22. I'll take Ray Rice over CJ every day of the week and twice on sundays.

You all can have your BJ Tuckers and their sub 4.4's, I'll take Everson Walls and his 4.7 and we'll see who ends up with a better FOOTBALL player.

Speed at RB is horridly overrated. At CB it is a different story. You really do want speed there because you need make up speed and you need stay with speed regardless of technique. There will never be a 4.7 CB nowadays.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Biggems;1972281 said:
4.4 is a nice time for a 2nd or 3rd round prospect.....

At the Senior Bowl he looked more like a cover 2 CB or FS type. He was big and hard hitting but a little stiff as a man cover guy.

I could see him as a Anthony Henry type tho I didn't see him make those kinds of plays on the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets drafted by the Bucs.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
jterrell;1970979 said:
Wow!

I counted like 7 or 8 guys below 4.4

DRC, also known as "our guy" ran a 4.33.

WOW!

A tall corner with that kind of speed. Sheesh!
I'd say no way he sees 22 but there were a handful of very, very fast CBs.

Mike Jenkins and Tracy Porter also blazed.
Jenkins and DRC are my top 2 CBs at this point.
I know this is a CB thread, but a guy I've been advocating Dallas look at for the Saftey position is UTEP's Quintin Demps. 6' 206lbs, had a 4.4 40 (2nd fastest among S). 31.5vert, 16reps.

The guy is a ball hawk. If there's a guy that can help in coverage, its him. His run defense isn't as good, but run D wasn't the problem last year.

I wish Dallas would take him, I think he goes in the 2nd-3rd