Cost of mounting a TV

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WG's TV mounting watch -- Day 2

Ha! You might want to hold off on that. This isn't something I can do right away, because of timing issues. But now that I know I can call my regular handyman, I can get it done alot faster/cheaper than the $200 DTV guy.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Definitely get the mount from Amazon or monoprice. You shouldn't need to spend more than about $25 unless you want one that can be pulled out from the wall. Also, if you don't want any wires showing, you'll need to get some kind of power bridge (or run the power to an outlet behind the TV) and some other wall plates to run all the low voltage cables in the wall.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Ha! You might want to hold off on that. This isn't something I can do right away, because of timing issues. But now that I know I can call my regular handyman, I can get it done alot faster/cheaper than the $200 DTV guy.

Well done.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Definitely get the mount from Amazon or monoprice. You shouldn't need to spend more than about $25 unless you want one that can be pulled out from the wall. Also, if you don't want any wires showing, you'll need to get some kind of power bridge (or run the power to an outlet behind the TV) and some other wall plates to run all the low voltage cables in the wall.

Is there a specific mount on Amazon you're suggesting...or just that I should buy one from Amazon?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Is there a specific mount on Amazon you're suggesting...or just that I should buy one from Amazon?

None specifically, I just know there are plenty on there at reasonable prices. Just find one made for the right size (and hole pattern compatibility), and with whatever tilt/swivel options you want. Some are tighter up against the wall than others too. Looks nice, but can be a PITA when installing due to lack of space to work. Just a quick search came up with this one that is cheap and has a good rating. http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Pro...UTF8&qid=1428328698&sr=1-10&keywords=tv+mount

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks guys! Those prices are exactly what I'm looking for. I will check out the exact TV I have when I get home. I bought it off a friend, so I'm unsure of the exact measurements. I just know it gives off major heat.

bounce

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Those prices are exactly what I'm looking for. I will check out the exact TV I have when I get home. I bought it off a friend, so I'm unsure of the exact measurements. I just know it gives off major heat.

Good chance it's a plasma - is the screen glossy or matte? I just hung two this weekend. A lot of mounts will cover all sizes, as long as you're not doing an articulating arm. I got this one, and it's about a 60lb TV: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012S4APK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score

sounds like an older plasma. the newer ones dont give off any heat.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
sounds like an older plasma. the newer ones dont give off any heat.

How new are we talking? Mine gives off a lot of heat, and it's from 2010. Wow, it's crazy to think I've had that for 5 years now. I guess that is kind of old.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
It's a 1/2 hour job...simple. So simple a cave man could do it.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
It's a 1/2 hour job...simple. So simple a cave man could do it.

That hurts man.
caveman.jpg

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
How new are we talking? Mine gives off a lot of heat, and it's from 2010. Wow, it's crazy to think I've had that for 5 years now. I guess that is kind of old.

depends on the brand too....some were upgrading and some werent. Some of them didnt even get cooling fans. My 65" only has 1 fan, but its because its only like 1/2" thick and doesnt have enough surface area to naturally dissipate the heat. it gets as warm as any lcd.

jrumann59

Reaction score
mounted a 60" plasma myself the most expensive thing is the mount.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Just a tip, WG. It sounds like you have an older plasma tv (as has been mentioned). Some of those older plasmas can be HEAVY. Weigh your tv and make sure that the mount you buy will support the weight. Good luck. And, BTW, your Directv guy is a douchebag. First of all, if he's "in house" (working directly for Directv) he's not supposed to be soliciting that service at all (it's not s a standard service provided by Directv). If he's an independent contractor working for Directv his prices are out of whack. I've mounted several TVs for customers (on my own time as an independent) and never charged more than $100.00.

Your handyman is the best bet, as mentioned earlier.