Coughlin says Manning already studying game film

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Giants | Coughlin says Manning already studying game film
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 05:46:40 -0800

Vinny DiTrani, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said QB Eli Manning already shows up two or three days a week to go over tapes from last season. He added the coaches have discussed those passing technique problems, such as throwing off his back foot, which Manning demonstrated late in the season. "As you watch the things that happen to him through the course of the year, you find a guy who is forced to throw in an unbelievable number of body positions to get the ball out," Coughlin said. "If he's forced to slide to avoid the rush and then somebody comes open, sometimes it's not possible to get completely organized."

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I don't remember him being particularly harassed last year when he was throwing all those ducks.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I don't remember him being particularly harassed last year when he was throwing all those ducks.

me either...most were just terrible passes

but his name is Manning so he gets a free ride from the media and alot of fans

I wish people would quit using the word "franchise" quarterback with him (as well as guys like Vick)...they are just "guys" with the type of results they get on the field...there is nothing franchise about Eli's passsing skills, they are pretty average at best

David

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Gryphon said:
Giants | Coughlin says Manning already studying game film
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 05:46:40 -0800

Vinny DiTrani, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said QB Eli Manning already shows up two or three days a week to go over tapes from last season. He added the coaches have discussed those passing technique problems, such as throwing off his back foot, which Manning demonstrated late in the season. "As you watch the things that happen to him through the course of the year, you find a guy who is forced to throw in an unbelievable number of body positions to get the ball out," Coughlin said. "If he's forced to slide to avoid the rush and then somebody comes open, sometimes it's not possible to get completely organized."

This worries me. Why aren't the other quarterbacks doing this as well?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
wasnt quincy carter going in early every day to watch film w/ BP?

ghst187

Reaction score
well Coughlin, whatever makes you feel better about using an entire draft to get a near bust QB....

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Eli will be the bane of Cowboys fans for the next decade.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
Eli will be the bane of Cowboys fans for the next decade.
Whatever.

There seems to be more Eli fans here on this board than in NY itself.

He's a drooling idiot and is extremely overrated because Peyton is the BOMB. Eli, however, is A bomb.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Whatever.

There seems to be more Eli fans here on this board than in NY itself.

He's a drooling idiot and is extremely overrated because Peyton is the BOMB. Eli, however, is A bomb.

It doesn't concern you that all the other NFC East quarterbacks aren't studying film right now? The guy is giving himself an edge over all of the rest of the division.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
It doesn't concern you that all the other NFC East quarterbacks aren't studying film right now? The guy is giving himself an edge over all of the rest of the division.

How do you know that?

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
How do you know that other NFC East QBs ARE NOT watching film? They probably are and the offseason programs start in a few days.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
This worries me. Why aren't the other quarterbacks doing this as well?

I'm sure they are...but they are not named Manning, with him its another chance for the media to overhype him some more

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:

and how do you know they are not? just because some report didnt name the qb's for all 31 other teams?

please, get a grip

David

tyke1doe

Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan said:
How do you know that other NFC East QBs ARE NOT watching film? They probably are and the offseason programs start in a few days.

We all due respect, we know Manning is studying film. We don't know whether other QBs are studying film. So the burden of proof would be on you to produce evidence to the contrary.

The article gives us evidence that Eli is already studying film. That much we know. Now, if you can produce evidence that other quarterbacks are preparing, then I'll call it even. Right now, advantage Eli.

Second, let's see, in the NFC East we have Donovan McNabb, Drew Bledsoe and Mark Brunell. How much more are they going to learn studying film?
They're seasoned veterans so, to some degree, they already know NFL defenses.

Eli Manning is going into his third year. He's still a baby as it relates to NFL quarterbacking experience. I can see where film study - and early film study - would benefit him more than the other NFL quarterbacks, who should by now know the nuisances and defensive schemes of their competitors. Eli is still trying to learn how to read sophisticated NFL defenses.

Regardless whether other QBs are studying schemes, Eli still has potential to reach and film study will only make him better. The other NFC East quarterbacks have basically reached their potential threshold. There's not more growing they're going to do.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Does not matter how much film he studies- if he does not get more accurate then he will NEVER be a franchise QB. There are only about 4-5 in the league Now: Brady, Peyton, Palmer, Rothslisberger; Mcnair; who else? Really? Culpepper- NO. McFlabb- ok. Who else? Leftwich is a possibility- jury still out since he keeps getting injured. Brees- depends on his shoulder- but is probably close to that. Pennington probably is gone. Favre is gone. So at the very best you have 6-8. out of 32.

Hoods

Reaction score
Oh wow Eli is studying game film. He's the best. He who studies game film early is destined for greatness.

God I hate the off-season.

Uh-Oh

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Does not matter how much film he studies- if he does not get more accurate then he will NEVER be a franchise QB. There are only about 4-5 in the league Now: Brady, Peyton, Palmer, Rothslisberger; Mcnair; who else? Really? Culpepper- NO. McFlabb- ok. Who else? Leftwich is a possibility- jury still out since he keeps getting injured. Brees- depends on his shoulder- but is probably close to that. Pennington probably is gone. Favre is gone. So at the very best you have 6-8. out of 32.
I hate to say this, but I'd scratch McNair off that list. He's old and has finally begun to slow down from all those injuries he's played with.