Coughlin says Manning already studying game film

burmafrd

Reaction score
Yeah McNair is suffering- but he can still play. that is one classy guy- wish he could have gotten a ring.

yesfan

Reaction score
His brother practically walked on water and then once again
he failed to win the big game.Hopefully,this tempers the medias'
infatuation with this family.They're good,like anyone else who's
surrounded by alot of talent,but that's all.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
5 bucks says if we had a young QB at the helm of this team and a story came out that he was spending the off season studying film we'd all be talking about how he is doing what it takes to be great.

Being Archie's son and Peyton's brother is Eli's curse.

Uh-Oh

Reaction score
Hostile said:
5 bucks says if we had a young QB at the helm of this team and a story came out that he was spending the off season studying film we'd all be talking about how he is doing what it takes to be great.

Hostile is sensible. :)

burmafrd

Reaction score
His attitude- the whole draft mess- THOSE are what has turned a lot of people against Eli. He has his responsibility on how he is perceived and viewed as well. ANd he did not play that well this year- his stats were pretty sad. He was not that accurate and threw a lot of bad picks.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
His attitude- the whole draft mess- THOSE are what has turned a lot of people against Eli. He has his responsibility on how he is perceived and viewed as well. ANd he did not play that well this year- his stats were pretty sad. He was not that accurate and threw a lot of bad picks.
Naw. I don't buy that. If that were true his last name would NEVER come up as a reason to dislike him. Speaking of his attitude, it shows a real bad light that he's studying I guess? Isn't that part of his attitude?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:

Considering how we drool over everything Henson does in practice for NFLE, I'd say we already are... :)

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
This worries me. Why aren't the other quarterbacks doing this as well?
They are. Any QB worth his salt is studying tape in the offseason. It's just that the Giants need to stroke Eli by publicizing it. I can guarantee that Bledsoe, McNabb, Brunnell, Romo, Rogers are all studying tape. Henson would be if he weren't doing NFL Europe (he probably is anyway, in & around getting ready for NFLE). For that matter, I'm betting that MOST players are studying tape in the offseason--any interviews in SI & other pubs about players inevitably mention how they study in the offseason in order to improve their game.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
We all due respect, we know Manning is studying film. We don't know whether other QBs are studying film. So the burden of proof would be on you to produce evidence to the contrary.
With all due respect, no we DON'T know he's studying film. All we have is a GM who needs to lick Eli's shoes every day telling us he is. Hmmm...I can't imagine a GM ever stretching the truth a little.

And that we have to PROVE other QBs are studying tape? Let me see, if I say you kick your dog every day--that makes it true. So now you have to prove that you don't? Yah--that's a great argument.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Just because you study gamefilm and are young, doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get better.

In general....Eli hasn't been very accurate on passes even where he didn't throw a wounded duck or threw off his back foot. He's also a lousy decision maker.

Rich.........

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
It doesn't concern you that all the other NFC East quarterbacks aren't studying film right now? The guy is giving himself an edge over all of the rest of the division.

that assumption makes a LOT of assumptions.

ghst187

Reaction score
Kittymama said:
They are. Any QB worth his salt is studying tape in the offseason. It's just that the Giants need to stroke Eli by publicizing it. I can guarantee that Bledsoe, McNabb, Brunnell, Romo, Rogers are all studying tape. Henson would be if he weren't doing NFL Europe (he probably is anyway, in & around getting ready for NFLE). For that matter, I'm betting that MOST players are studying tape in the offseason--any interviews in SI & other pubs about players inevitably mention how they study in the offseason in order to improve their game.

its attempts to save face after a season that far from lived to expectations bestowed upon Eli and a horrible performance in a playoff exit.
Remember, the team also still has to believe in Eli too or else he's a lame duck administration.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Does not matter how much film he studies- if he does not get more accurate then he will NEVER be a franchise QB. There are only about 4-5 in the league Now: Brady, Peyton, Palmer, Rothslisberger; Mcnair; who else? Really? Culpepper- NO. McFlabb- ok. Who else? Leftwich is a possibility- jury still out since he keeps getting injured. Brees- depends on his shoulder- but is probably close to that. Pennington probably is gone. Favre is gone. So at the very best you have 6-8. out of 32.

Ever hear of a guy named Drew Bledsoe? The terms 'franchise' and 'accuracy' are synomynous with the former #1 overall pick from Washington State. :bow:

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Gryphon said:
Giants | Coughlin says Manning already studying game film
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 05:46:40 -0800

Vinny DiTrani, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said QB Eli Manning already shows up two or three days a week to go over tapes from last season. He added the coaches have discussed those passing technique problems, such as throwing off his back foot, which Manning demonstrated late in the season. "As you watch the things that happen to him through the course of the year, you find a guy who is forced to throw in an unbelievable number of body positions to get the ball out," Coughlin said. "If he's forced to slide to avoid the rush and then somebody comes open, sometimes it's not possible to get completely organized."

I could give a damn what this little baby is doing to 'improve' his game during the offseason. He sucks and can't even hold Bledsoe's jock on a good day. All the game film in the world isn't going to help this overrated bum. At least big brother can put up decent numbers during the regular season. And after watching Carolina destroy the Giants its quite clear that big brother also taught Eli how to play horrible in the playoffs....it runs in the family for sure. :laugh1:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Well I am certainly not a ELInterceptionManning fan. But he hasnt done that bad.
Finished up year before last strong. Then went to playoffs in 2nd year.

I just dont think we know if he will be good or not. I really dont care but I just dont want him to get "our number"

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Kittymama said:
With all due respect, no we DON'T know he's studying film. All we have is a GM who needs to lick Eli's shoes every day telling us he is. Hmmm...I can't imagine a GM ever stretching the truth a little.

And that we have to PROVE other QBs are studying tape? Let me see, if I say you kick your dog every day--that makes it true. So now you have to prove that you don't? Yah--that's a great argument.

Such juvenile logic.

You're not even making sense.

So the GM says Eli is studying film but somehow he's lying? :rolleyes:

Pulease.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
Such juvenile logic.

You're not even making sense.

So the GM says Eli is studying film but somehow he's lying? :rolleyes:

Pulease.

Juvenile logic would be assuming other Qbs are not studying film just cuz there hasn't been an article written about it.

Hey, the sun should rise tomorrow, but I haven't read any articles about it so it may not happen. :rolleyes:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Rack said:
Juvenile logic would be assuming other Qbs are not studying film just cuz there hasn't been an article written about it.

Hey, the sun should rise tomorrow, but I haven't read any articles about it so it may not happen. :rolleyes:

First, I never said other players weren't studying. We just don't have proof of it. In this case, we do, based on Coughlin's comment. When you produce an article that says so, then we'll know otherwise. Right now, all we know is what we have in evidence, which is an article stating that Eli is already studying game tape. You do understand rules of evidence, don't you?

Second, my juvenile reference had to do with the stupid dog kicking analogy.
Kitty would not be an authority on me kicking my dog, so there would be reason to question his testimony. But Coughlin is an authority and a close enough source to know whether Eli was studying tape or not.

Third, actually news stories are done on when the sun rises. It's part of the weather forecast on television and in some newspapers - you know the time for sunrise and sunset. ;)

Fourth, what sensible reason would Coughlin have to lie about such a thing?

Fifth, I've already explained why it would be beneficial for Eli to arrive early into training camp to study film. He has yet to reach his potential and can learn from additional film study, especially since he's a young quarterback. Mark Brunell, Drew Bledsoe and Donovan McNabb - to a lesser degree - have reached the threshold of their talent. Film study isn't going to benefit them the same way it is Eli because Eli is still learning to be a QB. I mean, Bledsoe still pats the ball and stares down receivers after years in the NFL.

Kudos for Eli wanting to do what it takes to get better. I suspect he will be a thorn in the Cowboys' side for many years.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
He's not studying tape to get ahead of the curve, he's stdying tape to get to the curve.