Could Phil Taylor raise his stock to be a viable option at 9?

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
The Realist;3847919 said:
Despite his size his strength is more quickness and pursuit then it is taking on double teams and holding the point. Plays way, way too high. You can get away with that when you are 1 on 1 and trying to get up the field a little more. You can't away with that at all as a 3-4 NT.

He's not Wilfork, Raji, Ngata, Hampton or Jamaal Williams.

He's a project at best at NT and I don't think you take those at 40.

By the way, Baylor was 79th vs the run in 2010, and 98th in 2009.

You're right, that ranking falls squarely on one player (Taylor), not the 10 other players on defensive side of the ball. Especially, with all the other defensive stalwarts he plays along with, what were their names again?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
The Realist;3847919 said:
Despite his size his strength is more quickness and pursuit then it is taking on double teams and holding the point. Plays way, way too high. You can get away with that when you are 1 on 1 and trying to get up the field a little more. You can't away with that at all as a 3-4 NT.

He's not Wilfork, Raji, Ngata, Hampton or Jamaal Williams.

He's a project at best at NT and I don't think you take those at 40.

By the way, Baylor was 79th vs the run in 2010, and 98th in 2009.

Those comparisons aren't fair, in my opinion. You've obviously stacked the deck against him in that regard.

If you want to compare him with 2nd round NT's, you're looking more at guys like Ron Brace, Torrell Troup, and Terrance Cody.

I think he's a valid 2nd round prospect at our draft position. #9, to me, is out of the question but to say you don't take guys like Taylor at 40 isn't true, that's actually precisely where you'd look at a guy like Taylor.

The Realist

Reaction score
TheCount;3848238 said:
Those comparisons aren't fair, in my opinion. You've obviously stacked the deck against him in that regard.

If you want to compare him with 2nd round NT's, you're looking more at guys like Ron Brace, Torrell Troup, and Terrance Cody.

I think he's a valid 2nd round prospect at our draft position. #9, to me, is out of the question but to say you don't take guys like Taylor at 40 isn't true, that's actually precisely where you'd look at a guy like Taylor.

Brace, Troup, Cody............

I don't think this 6-10 team has the luxury of drafting backups at 40 who are 2-3 year projects. You are already going to get those in round 3-4.

We need "right now" football players 1-2.

Given that we already have a young NT with a high motor unlike Taylor, I'll take a Powe in 4 as a backup.

Hell, I'll take Chris Nield in 5-7 who is a Kelly Gregg clone and has already started 3 years at NT in a 3-3-5.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Cover 2;3846367 said:
Not as "busty" as Andre Smith

You should be beaten and stabbed then ban from CZ for posting that god awful picture. :puke:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
The Realist;3848277 said:

I don't think this 6-10 team has the luxury of drafting backups at 40 who are 2-3 year projects. You are already going to get those in round 3-4.

Given that we already have a young NT with a high motor unlike Taylor, I'll take a Powe in 4 as a backup.

Hell, I'll take Chris Nield in 5-7 who is a Kelly Gregg clone and has already started 3 years at NT in a 3-3-5.

I think you missed the point of my previous post, suffice to say I am not arguing Taylor should be the pick in the 2nd round, I am saying that is when you start considering a guy like that.

DFWJC

Reaction score
TheFinisher;3845291 said:
Taylor's been skyrocketing up draft boards and could go as early 15 to Miami or 21 to Kansas City. If he continues this surge could he become another option for us at 9? Teams usually put a premium on Nose Tackles in the draft and from a financial standpoint NT makes more sense to shell out big bucks than a 5-technique.
No...I don't think he would.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Realist;3848277 said:

Taylor has one year of real college football. It would unfair to compare him with a guy like Cody who was a proven (fat) performer.

Taylor started at Penn St and left then played really only 1 solid season. He had 50 total tackles at Baylor, 38 this past season.

Ironic note here but Von Miller who most love as a top 10 prospect had the same paltry 38 solo tackles.

Taylor has a high upside but he isn't in great shape, wasn't a big-time college difference maker and logically fits as a gap plugger in a rotation.

The Realist

Reaction score
TheCount;3848340 said:
I think you missed the point of my previous post, suffice to say I am not arguing Taylor should be the pick in the 2nd round, I am saying that is when you start considering a guy like that.

That's fair...........

I'd say comps like Brace and Cody were clearly better than he was in college.

I'd also say that Brent is holding is own production-wise vs any of those 2nd round NT's you mentioned.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
TheFinisher;3845291 said:
Taylor's been skyrocketing up draft boards and could go as early 15 to Miami or 21 to Kansas City. If he continues this surge could he become another option for us at 9? Teams usually put a premium on Nose Tackles in the draft and from a financial standpoint NT makes more sense to shell out big bucks than a 5-technique.

No, he cant. He isnt even remotely close to being worth the 9th pick overall.