Could Phil Taylor raise his stock to be a viable option at 9?

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Taylor's been skyrocketing up draft boards and could go as early 15 to Miami or 21 to Kansas City. If he continues this surge could he become another option for us at 9? Teams usually put a premium on Nose Tackles in the draft and from a financial standpoint NT makes more sense to shell out big bucks than a 5-technique.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
TheFinisher;3845291 said:
Taylor's been skyrocketing up draft boards and could go as early 15 to Miami or 21 to Kansas City. If he continues this surge could he become another option for us at 9? Teams usually put a premium on Nose Tackles in the draft and from a financial standpoint NT makes more sense to shell out big bucks than a 5-technique.
I would have a problem taking a bit player with work ethic concerns that early. I've seen too many people like that eat themselves out of the league.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
No way Phil Taylor is a viable option at #9 or even #15 to Miami. I could see Kansas City taking him, but not before that pick

JBS

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3845296 said:
I dont think we will see a worse candidate for #9 all year

Lmao, agreed 100%..this guy thrashes Cam Jordan at 9 and brings up Taylor

Reaction score
TheFinisher;3845291 said:

:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :bow: :bow: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao: :lmao:

Coming from the guy hates Jordan at 9.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;3845334 said:
Lmao, agreed 100%..this guy thrashes Cam Jordan at 9 and brings up Taylor
CanuckCowboysFan;3845353 said:
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :bow: :bow: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao: :lmao:

Coming from the guy hates Jordan at 9.

Whether you realize it or not Phil Taylor is moving up draft boards into the mid 1st range. I don't see what's so funny about asking if others think he can continue this climb, or how what I think of Cam Jordan has to do with Phil Taylor.

Next time try offering some substance to your posts instead of wasting our time with a mindless personal attack.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
I think it's a safe bet to say Phil Taylor won't sniff the 1st round, let alone the middle of the 1st. You're hearing a lot of conjecture on Draft websites because Taylor showed well at the Senior Bowl.

You've heard the saying "out of sight, out of mind?" Well the flipside of that is when you're in the sight of everyone (offseason...Senior Bowl), a good showing in an offseason event can make you the apple of everyones eye...temporarily.

Come combine time in Indy in few weeks, some new prospect is going to be the cat's meow and shoot up the draft board, or so it would seem.

I wouldn't blink if we took Phil Taylor in the 2nd round under the right circumstances, but he's not a #9 candidate by any stretch.

The guy is likely a two-down player at the next level.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
TheFinisher;3845364 said:
Whether you realize it or not Phil Taylor is moving up draft boards into the mid 1st range. I don't see what's so funny about asking if others think he can continue this climb, or how what I think of Cam Jordan has to do with Phil Taylor.

Next time try offering some substance to your posts instead of wasting our time with a mindless personal attack.

the problem is no one is saying he's in the mid first round range. I may be missing it, but I've only seen he has a chance to go in round 1. Going top 10 is another huge leap which is far from likely

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I don't get why his stock is skyrocketing. How much tape is there already on this guy? He was unimpressive in the bowl game so all his hype is based on what, his senior bowl?

This is ridiculous.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
TheCount;3845497 said:
I don't get why his stock is skyrocketing. How much tape is there already on this guy? He was unimpressive in the bowl game so all his hype is based on what, his senior bowl?

This is ridiculous.

The draft gurus are catching up on tape and can take some time to get to certain players.

Also, when people get so called "hot", that is sometimes just from fan word of mouth. Meanwhile their rankings in the pros eyes stay the same.

dwmyers

Reaction score
We've had really lousy luck with guys that skyrocketed up the draft charts. We drafted Ebeneezer Ekuban (round 1, #20) after he came from nowhere in the draft charts and also Quincy Carter (round 2, #53), who was being pulled up draft charts very late, as a kind of poor man's Michael Vick.

Patrick Kerney would have been a conservative choice at DE in 1999 and ended up being a better player, and there were a handful of better options at #37 the year we drafted Q.

We're high enough on the draft boards we don't need to out think ourselves. Our major needs are RT and FS, both of which can be found in rounds 2-4. #9 this year seems best poised as a BPA pick, not a "reach" pick.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Saying this guy can't move up far enough in the draft boards to be considered a viable pick at #9 is ludicrous. Everyone running a 3-4 needs a guy with a big body in the middle and there aren't many of them around. Let's see how he does at the combine before we pass such judgment. This doesn't mean I want him. I want Robert Quinn.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
dmq;3845548 said:
Saying this guy can't move up far enough in the draft boards to be considered a viable pick at #9 is ludicrous. Everyone running a 3-4 needs a guy with a big body in the middle and there aren't many of them around. Let's see how he does at the combine before we pass such judgment. This doesn't mean I want him. I want Robert Quinn.

The combine should have very little effect on his draft position. He's a NT, not a CB or WR who can boost his stock lots with a good 40 time.

About the only thug that can make Taylor look good at 9 is his NFL career.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
TheCount;3845597 said:
The combine should have very little effect on his draft position. He's a NT, not a CB or WR who can boost his stock lots with a good 40 time.

About the only thug that can make Taylor look good at 9 is his NFL career.

-1 rep for Freudian racist slip

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3845602 said:
-1 rep for Freudian racist slip

You can blame Steve Jobs for that one. I don't know of any character issues with Phil personally.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
TheCount;3845615 said:
You can blame Steve Jobs for that one. I don't know of any character issues with Phil personally.

I know what you meant to gay, it happens to the breast of us

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
TheCount;3845615 said:

Unless you don't consider participating in and possibly instigating not one but two off-field brawls and being kicked off a team or having a repuation as lazy a character issue, then no, he has no issues.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Only reason to take a guy with some charactor issues is that he is so much better then what you have or is so much better than anyone available at that pick. Basically like Dez was for us.
Taylor in no way is good enough to make it to the top 20 let alone the top 10. The guy is a TWO DOWN PLAYER.