Could RB Chris Johnson be our WOW player?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
sago1;2027905 said:
Dislikes contact. Hmm. That would appear to be a red herring. Oh heck. Here I thought I could get some life started on this forum cause it sure is really boring. My idea re Johnson came about cause I'm just not wild about Jerry's unwillingness draft a WR in the first round. I mean here we are waiting/hoping Jerry can somehow steal either first rounder Bouldin or first rounder RWilliams from their team. Kinda wonder how we will pay the guy to stay with us once/if we can get him.

Guess I'll go back to the drawing back and work up another scenario. Heck there is nothing else to do.

I'm not saying it is a bad idea. Heck, I don't know enough about him to make a decision on him... which is why I'm asking.

However, there are RB's who are complete backs that don't need a wide open hole to run through to make yardage. I've been wrong before plenty of times, so I could be off on Johnson... but I like the thought of a Rice splitting time with Barber more than I like a small, fast guy who may or may not be an NFL RB.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField;2027901 said:
I don't know for sure because I didn't get a chance to watch him much in college... but a lot of scouting reports talks about his lack of toughness and his dislike for contact. They all say how well he'll test numbers wise but they wonder if he's tough enough and likes the game enough.

So, since you are one of the members that I value your opinion... do you worry about his toughness and heart?

I remember Jimmy Johnson saying in the early 90's that he only picks players who like contact because if you don't that will eventually show up and keep them from becoming a good/great player. Ever since then, I've paid attention to players who seem to dislike contact.

Like I said, I haven't seen C. Johnson enough to know for myself... but if scouting services are saying he shy's from contact more than most RB's, is this a case of where there's smoke there's fire? Or are they full of ****?

I'd like to see which reports say he shies away from contact, NFLDraftScout, which is the Draft Bible as far as I'm concerned, says he shows the desire to run between the tackles, now they did say that he's not always a contact seeking runner, but that's different than saying he shies away from it

I think that's a myth that's been perpetuated because he's a speed guy

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2027918 said:
I'd like to see which reports say he shies away from contact

I think that's a myth that's been perpetuated because he's a speed guy

I've read around a lot on the Internet and I honestly can't remember where I read that. I truly did read something to that effect in a couple of places though.

I do understand that just because some people wrote that in scouting reports, that doesn't make it so. That's why I'm kind of asking around about the guy.

I have a rule of thumb that has served me pretty well over the past 15 years or so of being a draftnik: If hardly anyone is talking about a player during the fall when football is being played and watched... and only becomes a hot topic after the season is over and he ran really fast in shorts... then beware that player.

It's kind of like, if he's that talented, that good, that athletic, that fast and that hard to play against... why was nobody mentioning him when football was being played? If he's going to dominate in the NFL... why couldn't he dominate in college?

There are some good reasons, like he plays for a small school, plays a position that nobody talks about (read: OL), has a terrible team around him, etc... but for the most part, that rule of thumb has been on target a lot more than it has been wrong.

I'm not saying Johnson won't be a good one... just that I have some questions about him... which is why I'm asking for your opinion on him.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
after the season, Scott Wright had him as his #1 rated Senior back, yeah, I know that the Juniors pretty much make this group of RBs great, but still

part of the problem is that playing at ECU, he didn't get much press, but after the tremendous bowl game that he had, where he showed his explosiveness and versatility, and then looking at his numbers once the season was over, it's not that hard to generate excitement, and I put him at 28 in one of my 1st mocks before he ran his blistering 40 at the Combine, so I already thought very highly of him, because I already knew he was very fast, plus I liked the dimensions as a football player that he brings to the table

Angus

Reaction score
Sandyf;2027653 said:
I could see Jerry finally making the trade for Pacman Jones, and trading #28 for Roy Williams. Why, because I believe that McFadden will fall to #5 and that Detroit wants (and needs) him. Detroit has #15 worth 1050 points, #28 is worth 660 points for a total of 1710 and #5 is worth 1700.

They get McFadden and we get Williams at WR. KC gets extra picks to rebuild the O and D. Probably Otah at 15 and Baker at 28.

At 22, I still think we end up trading out of the 1st for a couple of 2nd round picks and take Cason and Chris Johnson in the second along with either a NT (Bryant) or another DE (Langford) or possibly a DE/OLB (Jackson if he falls).

Why Chris Johnson, because he is the fastest back in the draft, because his kickoff return average is over 28 yards per, because he catches the ball extremely well out of the backfield and because he will make an exceptional third down back. Why Cason, one he is underrated and falls into the second round but would excel in Phillips system, great size and decent speed as a nickel.

Where does Henry go. Easy to free safety and Hamlin goes to strong safety and our Roy Williams goes to ILB. Not big enough you say, blarney. He is taller, faster, and weighs more than Zack Thomas so if Roy isn't big enough to play ILB why the heck did we sign Thomas.

Jerry gets his WOW with Pacman, Roy Williams WR, and additional little wow with Cason, Johnson and probably anther RB in the 3rd or 5th.

An interesting idea, indeed, multiple ideas tied together well. And feasible!

:star:

TEUFELI

Reaction score
All good thoughts. I like Chris, I think he could really add a Brian Westbrook dimension to our team with his experience lining up in the slot. I am concerned with some past injuries (neck, I believe...which is even more serious!) so I think that we would really have to be comfortable with that aspect before we grab him.

As u can see by my sig, I like Monk alot, and I dont understand why he is projecting to go so low (or was, his 40 time at ark pro day has him in the 4/5 talk now...but keep in mind our 3rd is almost a 4th). I stick to my sig, even though DRC @ 22 may be wishful thinking (I will accept best db avail) and would still prefer Jamal in 2nd, but I do agree that Chris could add something special to our offense, and would completely be on board if we grab him.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2027997 said:
no ****, Sherlock

notice the smiley?

Considering I've never seen you say a bad thing about the guy, you'll excuse me if I feel I have to point this out.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;2028012 said:
Considering I've never seen you say a bad thing about the guy, you'll excuse me if I feel I have to point this out.

well I'm so glad that you hold me to the same standards as the people who never say a negative thing about Ray Rice :rollseyes:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2028021 said:
well I'm so glad that you hold me to the same standards as the people who never say a negative thing about Ray Rice :rollseyes:

I love the fact that you have somehow come to the conclusion that I'm a Ray Rice pimp. I like Ray and I like CJ, neither of them are perfect. Even DMAC is far from perfect, and people have said he's the best talent in the draft.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;2028026 said:
I love the fact that you have somehow come to the conclusion that I'm a Ray Rice pimp. I like Ray and I like CJ, neither of them are perfect. Even DMAC is far from perfect, and people have said he's the best talent in the draft.

not saying you're a Ray Rice pimp, just I don't see you feel the need to calm people down about their enthusiasm for him

I'm not saying anyone is perfect, it was a joke, hence the smiley

Reaction score
I wish people would stop saying Chris Johnson is the fastest player in the draft and say what he really will be. The fastest player in the NFL! If its not clear as day that he will be the fastest guy in the league i dont know what to tell you. Not to mention he can obviously play football. I hope we get Johnson and Desean Jackson or one of the other small burner type wideouts. Wow x 2.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2027943 said:
after the season, Scott Wright had him as his #1 rated Senior back, yeah, I know that the Juniors pretty much make this group of RBs great, but still

part of the problem is that playing at ECU, he didn't get much press, but after the tremendous bowl game that he had, where he showed his explosiveness and versatility, and then looking at his numbers once the season was over, it's not that hard to generate excitement, and I put him at 28 in one of my 1st mocks before he ran his blistering 40 at the Combine, so I already thought very highly of him, because I already knew he was very fast, plus I liked the dimensions as a football player that he brings to the table

Thanks for your honest take on the guy, Bob.

We'll see, I suppose.

TEUFELI

Reaction score
I LOVE ME SOME ME!;2028037 said:
I wish people would stop saying Chris Johnson is the fastest player in the draft and say what he really will be. The fastest player in the NFL! If its not clear as day that he will be the fastest guy in the league i dont know what to tell you. Not to mention he can obviously play football. I hope we get Johnson and Desean Jackson or one of the other small burner type wideouts. Wow x 2.
uy

HUH? Not real sure I understand that. "Clearly" the fastest guy in the NFL? What? I am not saying he isnt fast, but there are alot of really fast guys in the NFL and on any given 40, I think there are plenty of guys who are right there in the range that Johnson ran. If you dont understand that...well, I guess we dont know what to tell each other.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I LOVE ME SOME ME!;2028037 said:

Of all the burner type WR's in this draft... I'd love to get Dexter Jackson in round 3.

I guess I'm guilty of being a Dex Jackson pimp. :eek::

I just feel the guy is going to be a legit PR/KR and supurb slot WR. His hands are good and he has a knack for open field running.