Could RB Chris Johnson be our WOW player?

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
DFWJC;2030138 said:
I agree, CJ is not the Wow dude because 402 yards in the Hawaii Bowl is not the same as 402 ttl yrds in the Rose Bowl....and ECU is not USC. I still like the guy alot.

Good question regarding the shuttle time. I would like to see an official time even though I've heard he runs the shuttles very well.

Another guy that intrigues me some is Ray Rice. A completley different player, but interesting nevertheless.

Yeah Jamal Charles is another one. Hopefully fate will let the right one fall to us.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2030127 said:
I personally don't like drafting WR in the first and VR is on record saying they don't want a WR in the first. JJ, Wade and others have all said that. The only WR I like is Thomas and he isnt worth 22 IMO.

CB has only Jenkins in my mind being worth it but he has questions about his work ethic. he is a possibility if the club talks to him and llikes him. Cason is too early here. I know a lot of people like him and I do too but hes just not good value at 22. Talb has two problems that make me turn away. First hes not a very fluid athlete and he prefers to play with the ball in front of him. Thats all well and good for a cover 2 guy but you dont draft those in the first. His second issue is hes failed three drug tests at Kansas. Not that he got high 3 times he failed them. that means hes either stupid or doesnt care either way its bad.

RB has Felix Jones. I again dont like him here. I personally dont like him in the first much less the mid portion of the round. Jstew is constantly hurt. Although he will play through pain, he has had to deal with injuries every year. Running out of an I he is going to deal witha lot more and I dont see him holding up. His bust factor is too high for a position that busts a lot anyway.

Really unless Alberts or Jenkins falls i dont see anyone really worth that pick. We dont need DL, OT, LB, and what not. I guess you could go with that safety from Miami but hell just sit on the bench all year. i really dont like the pick for us.

Either trade up for DRC or Mendenhall or trade out and get one of the top tier 2 RB. The latter is our only chance to get CJ.

Well, I can't fault your line of reasoning. I'm not sure I agree with you on some of those values.

Here's my take.

We need a WR, a CB and a RB. Of those three the only one who is likely to see a lot of playing time this year is the RB. Sure the CB and the WR may see the field. But we're not Arizona rebuilding and able to put rookies on the field like that. Sure we can but we'd rather not. The CB can play into the three spot or number two if he's really good and we lose one or two CBs. If you put Pacman in there as the number three it gets less likely. The WR is likely to not see as much playing time. And the RB only needs to play enough to spell MB. He doesn't have to share half the load.

Not sure we may get a rookie RB that can play like Adrian Peterson. And the WR may be another Boldin. And the CB may be another TNew or if you're older he may play like Walls did. But those are long shots.

So I think Dallas just needs to let the players come to them. They don't have to stretch it. And I like the idea of trading with Atlanta IF we don't have a player at 28 that's worth the pick.

This is not an elite draft but its deep. The drop off from the top players outside 10-15 is not as big as usual. And the drop from the bottom half of the first is not that big to the top of the second.

If Jerry follows his board and doesn't make risky decisions then he'll do as well as any one. Jerry seems to enjoy being the bright guy and sometimes it bites him in the butt.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
DFWJC;2030146 said:
Just some triva on past shuttle times
Here are some shuttle times from 2006 and 2007:

Garrett Wolfe - 4.08
Brandon Jackson - 4.14
Antonio Pittman - 4.16
Brian Leonard - 4.22
Mike Bell - 4.21
Maurice Drew - 4.38
Adrian Peterson - 4.40
Joseph Addai - 4.47
Marshawn Lynch - 4.55

Take with it what you will.

TheCount;2030149 said:
Is a higher time better? :lmao2:

:laugh2: :laugh2:

Jesus, that is crazy, AP ran a 4.4, guess that is a wow. Chris Long did better than the good ones there with his 4.21.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Rampage;2030128 said:
why would jerry trade down?

People trade down to obtain extra picks. There is no huge difference in 28 and 34 as far as talent. The question is will the players you like at positions of need still be available after you drop down a few. And will you be forced to take a player who is significantly less talented than you passed up.

I think it's risky business. Jerry needs to be very careful. Last year it was a good thing. This year it may be a not so helpful thing.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
jobberone;2030161 said:
People trade down to obtain extra picks. There is no huge difference in 28 and 34 as far as talent. The question is will the players you like at positions of need still be available after you drop down a few. And will you be forced to take a player who is significantly less talented than you passed up.

I think it's risky business. Jerry needs to be very careful. Last year it was a good thing. This year it may be a not so helpful thing.
aren't we gonna have double digit picks next year? why trade down this year if that's the case?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah, the shuttle can be deceiving--but so can a lot of those measurables.
All else equal, I'd prefer great measurables. The other stuff like vision, patience, toughness, etc are huge.

DFWJC

Reaction score
jobberone;2030161 said:

I really think that they don't make that choice until they see how the draft is falling. Of course, if you feel sure that you can get your guy while still dropping a few slots (and picking up another pick), than go for it. Otherwise, I would not consider it.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Rampage;2030165 said:
aren't we gonna have double digit picks next year? why trade down this year if that's the case?

If you basically get something without giving anything up then you get ahead. Draft picks are like gold. Actually a lot of gold. If they have more than they can use then they can use them in some way. Like trading them for players they want. Or getting extra picks in the first day of the draft and giving up the later ones. I don't fully understand how clubs pay for all their rookies but I think they get enough money to pay them. Ask Adam.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
jobberone;2030173 said:
If you basically get something without giving anything up then you get ahead. Draft picks are like gold. Actually a lot of gold. If they have more than they can use then they can use them in some way. Like trading them for players they want. Or getting extra picks in the first day of the draft and giving up the later ones. I don't fully understand how clubs pay for all their rookies but I think they get enough money to pay them. Ask Adam.
my point was why trade down if we will have more ammo next year to do that than this year. I think with the talent at cb and rb we should trade up if anything and get a playmaker with speed.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Rampage;2030175 said:
my point was why trade down if we will have more ammo next year to do that than this year. I think with the talent at cb and rb we should trade up if anything and get a playmaker with speed.

if you are at a particular pick and there is no one that is value that is a need or a good fit you trade down. IE at any of our first three picks there is no WR, RB, or CB worth a flip nor a player that slid to that area.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I think we are going to go DB than RB in the 1st round since the team was so high on Phillips and the top ppl won't be there i could see us picking up Phillips going RB then getting some one in the 2nd round.