Could Ronald Jones be primary backup RB?

quickccc

Reaction score

This maybe knee jerk reaction this soon before the OTAs and training camp summer, but not only could i see new vet RB Ronald Jones as the Cowboys primary No.2 backup RB .. but I could also see him as our specialty short yd/goal line back.

Hs may not be as flashy splashy and electrifying speedy as Pollard and Deuce, but he maybe more workman like and present a stronger, more physical presence among the current RBs

Despite all the talk of we need a FB (ala Hunter Luepke) and normally when they give a player a guarantee to sign on as undrafted- they usually stick on
the practice squad...or Cowboys possibly re-signing Zeke..... or exploring a regard back that offers a power game

_sturt_

Reaction score
To me, Ronald Jones is just a guy.

He's going to give you another body in training camp.

But he's not someone you go to Oxnard penciled-in as your #2.

He'd have had to be coming off a more impressive year in KC to be granted that kind of regard.

If anything, he went backwards.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is a piece of the puzzle. What specific piece we will find out in Cali. The definition of roles is TBD.

Right now all we really know is the Cowboy are going RBBC with Pollard the main guy. It wouldn't surprise me if another vet is signed (NOT Zeke) before TC.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
To me, Ronald Jones is just a guy.

He's going to give you another body in training camp.

But he's not someone you go to Oxnard penciled-in as your #2.

He'd have had to be coming off a more impressive year in KC to be granted that kind of regard.

If anything, he went backwards.
I don't think Dallas views him as just a guy, but it's one of those situations where they paid just-a-guy prices so they know he could be just a guy. Him going backward in KC is the reason he was cheap. The fact that he was better than that previously is why they are taking the shot. Don't know what we'll get. I would have gone after a more proven No. 2, but Dallas has shown that it's not going to spend multimillions on outside free agents, so this is what you get.

BossRhino

Reaction score
JAG...Booger and Chuckles are going into 2023 being VERY shortsighted at the RB position, just like they did at WR last season.
Yup. By Week 10-12 Dallas will be recruiting some RB off his couch just like they did with T.Y. Hilton last year.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
What I see from Jones

-North/South style running
-Good power
-Decent vision
-Adequate speed
-Low miles

What I don't see from Jones

-Short area quickness to change direction on a dime
-Regular ability to make people miss

Don't know what to expect but liken the move similarly to Alfred Morris coming in. Experienced vet with production who's just a productive runner that gets yards.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ronald Jones is a jag, he would be a big downgrade over Zeke. He might not even make the team. We better come up with a solid answer to replace Zeke’s or it could lead to problems during the season when it comes to moving the chains in short yardage situations and punching the ball into the endzone..

Verdict

Reaction score

This maybe knee jerk reaction this soon before the OTAs and training camp summer, but not only could i see new vet RB Ronald Jones as the Cowboys primary No.2 backup RB .. but I could also see him as our specialty short yd/goal line back.

Hs may not be as flashy splashy and electrifying speedy as Pollard and Deuce, but he maybe more workman like and present a stronger, more physical presence among the current RBs

Despite all the talk of we need a FB (ala Hunter Luepke) and normally when they give a player a guarantee to sign on as undrafted- they usually stick on
the practice squad...or Cowboys possibly re-signing Zeke..... or exploring a regard back that offers a power game

In a word? NO. N. O. No.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Ronald Jones will not make any difference in the fortunes of the 2023 Cowboys. Backup RBs don't tend to be difference makers.

The Cowboys have been hamstrung for decades, and it has nothing to do with the backup RB position. The problem lies above.

plasticman

Reaction score
Primary backup?

I'm not sure that term even applies any more. I don't think there are a lot of RB's in this league that spends almost an entire game sitting on a bench waiting in case another RB gets hurt. Of course, this could be a simple case of semantics because I remember a time when there were RB's that were there simply as a backup

I don't even think there is enough room on a team for three activated RB's unless one of them is also a special teams dynamo or has some other skill.

These days I feel that a "starting" back is only called that because he is the first to get carries during a game. At some point he will be taken out and the "2nd" back will go in. he's not exactly a backup. If either one gets injured then it means the other back will take the rest of the carries. if a 3rd EB is activated, then he will get some carries. However, in order to remain effective, the running attack will only give that 3rd RB more than a couple of carries if he is effective or if he has a particular skill compatible with a set of plays.

I think that OC's look for sets of two RB's, one will get a few more carries while the other is there because there are a few things he can do better.

For example, the idea of having a duo composed of a power runner and a slasher means you can design plays for either. You rarely find both attributes at an elite level in the same RB.

Getting back to the question, Jones could be that 2nd back. However, it ii a counterexample of what i just mentioned, diversity in skillset. Pollard and Jones are too similar, it would be like the opponent is gameplanning for one RB. The Cowboys need a bonafide power runner for redzones and 3rd and short. They need a 4th quarter closer.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

IMO, Jones is currently the only conceivable RB on the roster you could go into the season *planning* to start if Pollard goes down.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are in trouble at RB. But I am hoping Jones can step up. Maybe a change of venue can be what he needs.

Pollard is supposed to be back in time for TC. But I have some reservations as if he can stay healthy. He seems a little injury prone. Yes, I said it. Others apply injuries to some players as that, so it also should apply to Pollard. He has had some type on injury for each of the past 3 years. Not including this cheap shot tackle injury.

I am pulling for all of them, but at the same time I do not feel comfortable about the situation. But they really can't do anything about it now. This could back fire on them like WR did last season.
Unless the OL is a complete surprise and plays like a top 5 OL again.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

I believe the team is much higher on him then the fanbase. They could of drafted a higher back but chose against it. I believe he will indeed be the team's #2 back with Vaughn also getting some touches. Davis is the one who has to have a strong camp, there are some rumblings that he has some immaturity issues and was complaining about his role last season.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

not sure. he is a JAG. he was insurance and if any of the RBs, show a little in pre-season and training camp, wouldn't surprise me for us to cut him

quickccc

Reaction score
Im not excited about Ronald Jones to be honest

im hoping for a rotatation of Pollard, Vaughn and Davis....with Hunter being the up back and getting short yardage goalline carries
Ironically unless Hunter is valued as a special teamer, I'm not excited about him taking up a roster spot just to be a short yd/goal line carrier.

Even the more well regarded FBs in the NFL (ala Kyle Juszczyk Niners, Ravens' Patrick Ricard, Vikes CJ Ham are blockers first , catchers/rushers second ..
.and Pollard and Jones are not scat backs.

I'm for a John Kuhn type, so long as he is truly Kuhn type. Effective lead blocker first. ..occasional catch/carry second.
We've already went thru a Jamele Olawale type before - we don't need to resort to one that's more of a big RB,,..than physical FB, imo.

And note how there seems to be only FB on the summer roster. Its no competition if they decide to have a FB.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Not sure what happened in KC. Sounds like to me that he signed an incentive laden contract and KC decided to give the other guys they had more of a chance so as to not have to pay him.

He was a healthy scratch the first 6 games or so. Then he mentioned he wanted to be released.

Ive only watched a few hilight vids of him. He is more powerful than I thought. Not super quick, but sneaky fast. And once up to speed he can run away from most.

He's a Texas kid I think and coming back home could be good for him.

Hes definitely more than a JAG. Should be a very capable #2. Provided there arent other issues as to why he didnt play in KC.