Could Ronald Jones be primary backup RB?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure what happened in KC. Sounds like to me that he signed an incentive laden contract and KC decided to give the other guys they had more of a chance so as to not have to pay him.
He was a healthy scratch the first 6 games or so. Then he mentioned he wanted to be released.
Ive only watched a few hilight vids of him. He is more powerful than I thought. Not super quick, but sneaky fast. And once up to speed he can run away from most.
He's a Texas kid I think and coming back home could be good for him.
Hes definitely more than a JAG. Should be a very capable #2. Provided there arent other issues as to why he didnt play in KC.
Fans like to over use the term JAG. Good post as to why he may be more than what some fans think.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Fans like to over use the term JAG. Good post as to why he may be more than what some fans think.
He was the leading rusher on a superbowl winning team. Anyone calling him a JAG either hasnt even seen him play or has an agenda.

He should complement Pollard very well. He can catch and block. Could be a sneaky short yardage option as well.

And as I said, if he gets a step on someone downfield, he can take it to the house.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Could he be? Of course.
Will he be? I hope not. We pretty much know what he is and he was unable to get any kind of a role on KC last year, but he isn't horrible. I consider him the floor. If none of our other options step up, and they all would need to step up because none have done it before, he'll likely get the job. If some of our kids or a vet we sign between now and the start of camp beat him out that's a good thing for the team. If enough guys beat him out that he doesn't even make the roster, that's a really good thing.

blueblood70

Reaction score

This maybe knee jerk reaction this soon before the OTAs and training camp summer, but not only could i see new vet RB Ronald Jones as the Cowboys primary No.2 backup RB .. but I could also see him as our specialty short yd/goal line back.

Hs may not be as flashy splashy and electrifying speedy as Pollard and Deuce, but he maybe more workman like and present a stronger, more physical presence among the current RBs

Despite all the talk of we need a FB (ala Hunter Luepke) and normally when they give a player a guarantee to sign on as undrafted- they usually stick on
the practice squad...or Cowboys possibly re-signing Zeke..... or exploring a regard back that offers a power game

Agree has shot at beiogn in the mix and be the dirty work lunchbox vet fans dont believe we have..

This is solid RBBC room
#1 18 carries max=TP
then add in many different styles to run in and out with Vaughn, Malik, and hunter leading the way. Might be Malik vs Dowdle for a final spot not both make this roster.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't think Dallas views him as just a guy, but it's one of those situations where they paid just-a-guy prices so they know he could be just a guy. Him going backward in KC is the reason he was cheap. The fact that he was better than that previously is why they are taking the shot. Don't know what we'll get. I would have gone after a more proven No. 2, but Dallas has shown that it's not going to spend multimillions on outside free agents, so this is what you get.
Bing a Jag is a negative label buy a lot of fans but its truly not really bad , he's a solid steady guy in the mix. calling players like Jeff heath Jags when they played a steady role on the team. with 53+ on the roster and out of 22 starters maybe 10 stars develop the rest are considered JAGs lol you can't have a roster with cap full of Pro Bowlers at every position, TEAMS need these so-called Jags to fill important roles. rotating in the mix etc

many called payers lioek Steele and doug free jags and players left here like Cwill and McGovern easily found jobs elsewhere. Fans truly have a slanted way to judge players either great ie elite PB types get all the hype then they disregard the rest and call them Jags,, rosters are actually made up of wosre of these Jag type players and are very important to team depth. itrs not lie we are counting on them top be starters so what the issue with fan SMH

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Agree has shot at beiogn in the mix and be the dirty work lunchbox vet fans dont believe we have..

This is solid RBBC room
#1 18 carries max=TP
then add in many different styles to run in and out with Vaughn, Malik, and hunter leading the way. Might be Malik vs Dowdle for a final spot not both make this roster.
Add Hunter to that mix. They wont keep him if he only shows FB abilities. But if he can play a little TB, some FB, maybe a little TE in a pinch. Then add in special teams.

Hes an intriguing guy. He would bring something we dont currently have. Not sure if he would fill the 4th TE or 3rd RB. My gut says they will keep 4 real TEs and hed be in the mix for RB3.

I think Jones will be our RB2. That would leave Davis, Dowdle, Hunter and Duece as well as anyone we could potentially pick up.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Add Hunter to that mix. They wont keep him if he only shows FB abilities. But if he can play a little TB, some FB, maybe a little TE in a pinch. Then add in special teams.

Hes an intriguing guy. He would bring something we dont currently have. Not sure if he would fill the 4th TE or 3rd RB. My gut says they will keep 4 real TEs and hed be in the mix for RB3.

I think Jones will be our RB2. That would leave Davis, Dowdle, Hunter and Duece as well as anyone we could potentially pick up.
well IMHO they all make the roster with the acceptation of Dowdle vs malik i doubt both make it and if Jones was to get dinged or simply looks terrible in camp/PS games he could be replaced with anther vet like him. but the others are a lock IMO

quickccc

Reaction score
They are in trouble at RB. But I am hoping Jones can step up. Maybe a change of venue can be what he needs.

Pollard is supposed to be back in time for TC. But I have some reservations as if he can stay healthy. He seems a little injury prone. Yes, I said it. Others apply injuries to some players as that, so it also should apply to Pollard. He has had some type on injury for each of the past 3 years. Not including this cheap shot tackle injury.

I am pulling for all of them, but at the same time I do not feel comfortable about the situation. But they really can't do anything about it now. This could back fire on them like WR did last season.
Unless the OL is a complete surprise and plays like a top 5 OL again.

SMH … How is Pollard " injury prone " ?

He's only had this key one injury in the Niners playoff game, to which he was dragged and crushed-rolled up from behind.
Prior he missed a sprain ankle per game time decision.

- And can you name a big name RB who hasn’t been injured and missed a game ?
Even Zeke gave way to injury this past year, and he’s had a hindering injury the last past 2 years.

No position takes as much pure pounding and wear as an RB.
* That’s why it’s so key to have quality, capable backup RBs in an injury pinch.
And you don’t want just a decent serviceable body (that’s what Chiefs are stuck with 1st rd bust Clyde Edwards Helaire)

- I think what still happens with some fans is they still have “ bell-cow” mentality.
They cannot, ..do not .. want to think outside or beyond the big carry bell cow RB box. ala Emmitt, Zeke, ..

- How will it “ backfire “ when they have a guy that has emerged as one of the more dangerous, game breaking RBs in the NFL ?
A guy that was recognized and awarded with a Pro Bowl nod among his peers ?

- And unlike Gallup, this is Not a player coming off serious ACL or Achilles tendon injury.
But of course in those same fans,.. they cannot/will not ..refuse to....think outside that box mentality of insisting Pollard high sprain/broken fibula as “ serious” injury.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

This maybe knee jerk reaction this soon before the OTAs and training camp summer, but not only could i see new vet RB Ronald Jones as the Cowboys primary No.2 backup RB .. but I could also see him as our specialty short yd/goal line back.

Hs may not be as flashy splashy and electrifying speedy as Pollard and Deuce, but he maybe more workman like and present a stronger, more physical presence among the current RBs

Despite all the talk of we need a FB (ala Hunter Luepke) and normally when they give a player a guarantee to sign on as undrafted- they usually stick on
the practice squad...or Cowboys possibly re-signing Zeke..... or exploring a regard back that offers a power game

If he does, than we are either in serious trouble at RB or extremely savvy in FA.
Not intending to be harsh but my view is high end camp fodder at best, but please... RJ, feel free to come in and surprise me.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
How about we all leave this package all wrapped up and bundled nice and pretty like untill the tc opens and then we see what is in fact inside the said package before we jump to conclusions. Ronald Jones may or may not be the guy we want but can we wait to at least find out?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He's only had this key one injury in the Niners playoff game, to which he was dragged and crushed-rolled up from behind.

Even Zeke gave way to injury this past year, and he’s had a hindering injury the last past 2 years.

* That’s why it’s so key to have quality, capable backup RBs in an injury pinch.
And you don’t want just a decent serviceable body (that’s what Chiefs are stuck with 1st rd bust Clyde Edwards Helaire)

- I think what still happens with some fans is they still have “ bell-cow” mentality.
They cannot, ..do not .. want to think outside or beyond the big carry bell cow RB box. ala Emmitt, Zeke, ..

- How will it “ backfire “ when they have a guy that has emerged as one of the more dangerous, game breaking RBs in the NFL ?

- And unlike Gallup, this is Not a player coming off serious ACL or Achilles tendon injury.
But of course in those same fans,.. they cannot/will not ..refuse to....think outside that box mentality of insisting Pollard high sprain/broken fibula as “ serious” injury.
I am saying some fans use a few injuries against other players and call them injury prone. So add Pollard in there as well to be fair.
Do not use it for one player and not use it for some as well.

blueblood70

Reaction score

maybe not injury prone but getting hurt twice in 6 weeks and he did miss game a each season but yes its football and players get dinged. This wasn't a ding. what ive seen the more we used him the more his stats dropped. Those gaudy stats stopped down the stretch 6 games straight 4 rs 2 playoffs = no TDS, 51YPG, 3.8 ypc and 2 injuries. he needs to stay under 18 carries for 17 games to be his usual self for the playoff run.. Fans like to point out players disappearing down the stretch, well why is Pollard off limits, he did n fact disappear at the end.

so we should be a little concerned especially if giving a 10mil deal to TP will have coaches wanting to use him MORE.. that would be mistake IMO.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

He's always been a Zeke stan.

visionary

Reaction score
The Cowboys believe that “hope is a viable strategy”

They clearly think there is no reason it won’t work at RB this year since it worked so well at WR last year

Can’t wait for November when (not if) Pollard is our and we are trying to win games (and failing) with Jones and Vaughn LOL

This FO is a group of morons

visionary

Reaction score
Ironically unless Hunter is valued as a special teamer, I'm not excited about him taking up a roster spot just to be a short yd/goal line carrier.

Even the more well regarded FBs in the NFL (ala Kyle Juszczyk Niners, Ravens' Patrick Ricard, Vikes CJ Ham are blockers first , catchers/rushers second ..
.and Pollard and Jones are not scat backs.

I'm for a John Kuhn type, so long as he is truly Kuhn type. Effective lead blocker first. ..occasional catch/carry second.
We've already went thru a Jamele Olawale type before - we don't need to resort to one that's more of a big RB,,..than physical FB, imo.

And note how there seems to be only FB on the summer roster. Its no competition if they decide to have a FB.
Pollard is not going to last 17-20 games as the lead back