Could This Cowboy Draft Be That Epic?

Sydla

Reaction score
You've always been negative about the Cowboys. ALWAYS! Who you trying to kid? Yourself?

Always? Like almost every post? LOL.

Again, point out a post where I said the Cowboys will be bad this coming season. I'll wait...................

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
No offense but the two defenses aren't comparable at all in how they were built, etc. And to think that this defense is simply teamwork and cohesion away from being a dominant D like those 90 defenses were is a bit of a stretch.
Teamwork and cohesion.

Oh, and seven defensive starters obtained with 1st or 2nd round picks in a two-year period (1991-92).

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Always? Like almost every post? LOL.

Again, point out a post where I said the Cowboys will be bad this coming season. I'll wait...................

Yes, just about every post. Come on man, you dug your hate grave, now lay in it.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I love Morris for us. We're not even seeing yet what the accumulation of those big backs can do to a defense over the course of a whole game. Elliott's a fairly big guy, too. With our OL and if we're running the ball a lot, nobody's going to want to play Dallas too often.
The phrase, "blunt force trauma" comes to mind.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Used 1st or 2nd round picks to either draft or trade for eight defenders in 1991 and 92 -- missing on Kelvin Pritchett, and hitting on Russell Maryland, Kevin Smith, Robert Jones, Darren Woodson, Dixon Edwards, Tony Casillas, and Charles Haley.
They didn't miss on Pritchett... they traded him on draft day to Detroit. Or more precisely, they drafted him for Detroit.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Has any team ever drafted 3 hall of famers in one draft ? I guess there's a first time for everything

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
He's going to be s great player. But I think Morris is probably a 1400 yard/6 TD player in this offense. How much better can Elliott be to justify that pick?

Then look at the LB and S corps and think what we could have done with that draft capital.
I mean when you have Sean Lee and jaylon smith in the nickel next season, can't ask for more than that.

Can we see what Byron jones can do? Let's see if church having a competent safety next to him helps (church)?

drawandstrike

Reaction score
That 1991 draft, we got better production out of Larry Brown in round TWELVE than we did out of Prichett in rnd 1, Richards in round 3, or Harris in rnd 4 COMBINED.

I'd caution people to remember though, in that 1991 draft we selected EIGHTEEN players over 12 rounds. The fact we hit on HALF of them makes that a very good draft.

In 1992 we used up the rest of the picks from the Herschel Walker trade and drafted FIFTEEN players, for a grand total of 33 players drafted in just two years. The '92 draft after round 2 we missed on every single pick in my opinion.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes, just about every post. Come on man, you dug your hate grave, now lay in it.

So in other words you can't find anything that suggests I think the team won't be very good.

I mean if I am sooooo negative, surely, there are posts where I claim the team is not very good. You must have also missed all the posts where I was bullish on the interior DL, especially with Thornton added to the mix.......... Or where I was bullish on Jones moving full time to FS. Or how I loved the Tapper pick in this past draft.

Here's the reality. I think this is a pretty good team that has a couple of flaws that could really haunt us against other good teams and my posts have never given an indication otherwise. That apparently bothers you.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
No offense but the two defenses aren't comparable at all in how they were built, etc. And to think that this defense is simply teamwork and cohesion away from being a dominant D like those 90 defenses were is a bit of a stretch.

Dallas had more #1 picks on that defense than this one did. They invested more high picks in defense than this one has. Russell Maryland, Robert Jones, Kevin Smith, etc. Throw in Darren Woodson as a 2nd round pick. So was Ken Norton Jr. So was Dixon Edwards. That defense went after more high profile players (in trades) than this one has. Haley was a premier player when we acquired him. Tony Casillas? Don't forget he was a former first round pick of the Falcons and was very, very good for them. He still is the leading tackler amongst all Falcon DL in history.

Dallas also added Thomas Everett in 2012, who was a very good safety in the NFL at that time. He got into a contract squabble with the Steelers and Dallas made a trade for him. In later years, they went out and landed Deion Sanders.

There is really no comparison between the talent and assets invested in those 90s defenses and this one.

However, you aren't acknowledging all the players brought in by Jimmy Johnson and Co. that didn't contribute and were cut. Again, a 3rd round or 4th round defensive player that didn't pan out every single season. Sometimes both picks.

You didn't mention all the trades and veteran acquisitions that didn't work out in the 90's. Those guys didn't bat 1.000 when it came to getting talent, not by any means.

And this current team has drafted for defensive help high in every draft.

Five of the last six 2nd round picks were defensive players.

They drafted a defensive player 6th overall in 2012. Their first 4 picks that year were defensive players.

2014, all but two players were defensive players.

2015 their first two players and five of their first six were defensive players.

2016, three of their first four players, defensive players. And you could make an argument that the selection of Zeke Elliot had positive ramifications for the defense.

The defense has not been ignored, nor has it been ignored in free agency.

Hardy, although he didn't pan out. McClain was drafted #8 overall.

If the Cowboy went out and signed old veterans for big money they wouldn't have enough to keep their own young Pro Bowlers.

Again, the Cowboy defense in the 90's weren't good until they were good, that's when all the players began to mesh. It will happen to this current group, it will happen this season, not at first, but they will be much improved.

This is going to be a season to remember, in about three months we'll look back enjoy many of the posts you, me and everybody else put on this forum.

Plankton

Reaction score
Used 1st or 2nd round picks to either draft or trade for eight defenders in 1991 and 92 -- missing on Kelvin Pritchett, and hitting on Russell Maryland, Kevin Smith, Robert Jones, Darren Woodson, Dixon Edwards, Tony Casillas, and Charles Haley.

You can't call Kelvin Pritchett a miss for two reasons - one, the Cowboys traded him to the Lions, and he never stepped into Dallas as a member of the Cowboys. Second, he was traded for Dixon Edwards, amongst others, who you have down as being a hit.

Sydla

Reaction score
However, you aren't acknowledging all the players brought in by Jimmy Johnson and Co. that didn't contribute and were cut. Again, a 3rd round or 4th round defensive player that didn't pan out every single season. Sometimes both picks.

You didn't mention all the trades and veteran acquisitions that didn't work out in the 90's. Those guys didn't bat 1.000 when it came to getting talent, not by any means.

And this current team has drafted for defensive help high in every draft.

Five of the last six 2nd round picks were defensive players.

They drafted a defensive player 6th overall in 2012. Their first 4 picks that year were defensive players.

2014, all but two players were defensive players.

2015 their first two players and five of their first six were defensive players.

2016, three of their first four players, defensive players. And you could make an argument that the selection of Zeke Elliot had positive ramifications for the defense.

The defense has not been ignored, nor has it been ignored in free agency.

Hardy, although he didn't pan out. McClain was drafted #8 overall.

If the Cowboy went out and signed old veterans for big money they wouldn't have enough to keep their own young Pro Bowlers.

Again, the Cowboy defense in the 90's weren't good until they were good, that's when all the players began to mesh. It will happen to this current group, it will happen this season, not at first, but they will be much improved.

This is going to be a season to remember, in about three months we'll look back enjoy many of the posts you, me and everybody else put on this forum.

We will just agree to disagree on this one. There are very few comparisons between this current defense and the 90s ones that were some of the best in football and sometimes referred to as one of the more underrated defenses in NFL history.

The fact there were misses by Johnson doesn't change the fact that the defenses in the 90s were built with upper echelon talent. The 90s defenses invested more into the defense than this current version.

Further, they didn't really need to "gel". They overhauled their defense in just two offseasons and did so with upper echelon talent. They added Castillas in 1991. Then in 1992, the year their defense was really good, they added two proven NFL studs in Everett and Haley (we acquired no players recently of their caliber) and then two #1 picks in Jones and Smith to the defense.

I hope you are right that this defense is really good, but there really is no comparison to the 90s defenses........... either in how they play or how they were built.

Last edited:

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
You can't call Kelvin Pritchett a miss.
I think the much bigger point is that the team hit on 7 players acquired through the use of 1st or 2nd round picks in a two-year period. That defense was largely built with multiple high draft picks.

Plankton

Reaction score
I think the much bigger point is that the team hit on 7 players acquired through the use of 1st or 2nd round picks in a two-year period. That defense was largely built with multiple high draft picks.

I don't think anyone ever disputed that point.