Could This Cowboy Draft Be That Epic?

Reaction score
True but remember, and this is using the Jones' own words, the Cowboys are toeing the line between the future and winning right now in Romo's short window.

I just simply don't agree with people that claim we couldn't have added a vet DE or two in the offseason. It would not have prevented you from taking Tapper not stunted the development of the team.

Well I'm with you there, just a couple more quality defensive signings at DE & LB would have made things a lot less dicey. I'm not sure if the Hardy situation soured them or if they're trying to hedge against the big cap hits when Romo/Witten retire,,, I don't think the progress stopper argument is valid for DL and LBs because those guys get to play in rotation. Then again, maybe they like their DEs and LBs and don't see the need.

scottsp

Reaction score
I understand what you're saying. Goff and Wentz surely aren't he standard but I bring them up when the argument is used that preseason doesn't matter. Or if it's easy. It will be far harder for this to translate into the season but like I said above its that easy why isn't every qb killing it?

My bar for Dak is to simply manage games and be the backup. Just give us that and you were worth the pick.

I understand what you're saying. Goff and Wentz surely aren't he standard but I bring them up when the argument is used that preseason doesn't matter. Or if it's easy. It will be far harder for this to translate into the season but like I said above its that easy why isn't every qb killing it?

My bar for Dak is to simply manage games and be the backup. Just give us that and you were worth the pick.

I can't argue with that. If I came off as the guy who's doing all he can to poo-poo the Dak excitement, that wasn't my intent. How can we not be thrilled with what he's shown? It's just that, I have learned many times the pitfalls of pinning hopes to prospects under these particular conditions and sample size. Not saying everyone should abide by that. Merely my own personal rule of thumb.

Regardless of the whatever book or M.O. is developed by Dak, he strikes me as an aware and adaptive young man. He seems willing to trust his receivers (can be good or bad, depending); has really nice pocket presence and awareness; and doesn't mind playing between the numbers downfield.

The peaks/valleys for young QBs tend to make some folks crazy. So long as the growing pains are also accounted for and the mistakes utilized as learning tools, there is definite hope for development, because Dak has something.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It's still just preseason for Dak. But he's been better than expected. Short term this draft is all about Elliott.

Early signs are great, but time will tell with Dak. However, when you take a RB at #4 overall, he better be special and not just good.

batman36

Reaction score
Alfred Morris is a very good back but he's got almost 1100 carries in 4 seasons. Just to give you an idea DeMarco Murray's got slightly more than that over 5 seasons. It's a lot of tear on him already. You want several good backs on a team. I like a bit of what Jackson showed early against LA.
Yes, and...BOOMER!

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
It very well could be if Prescott is really this good and Smith comes back and is that Top 5 talent people thought pre-injury. Even if Collins and Tapper are just so-so, if you get studs in Elliott, Prescott and Smith............ the draft is a home run.

I'll say something blasphemous that was also mentioned by someone else in the game thread. Watching Morris out there and how great our offense already is and can be, did we need Elliott at 4?

Commence fire.

If that is blasphemy, then there's probably a heterodox movement on this board as many didn't think a RB was worth the 4th pick.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Early signs are great, but time will tell with Dak. However, when you take a RB at #4 overall, he better be special and not just good.

Yep..

Zeke better be some kind of runner.

I'll never forget his 2014 final 4 performances when he lead the Buckeyes to a national title against all odds but the guy better bring it come September.

Alfred Morris is already enough so Zeke better be next level.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I think that what helps a defense sometimes is an explosive offense. Teams feeling the need to keep up turns in favor of the defense. I thought Tannehill played a pretty solid game, but they just could not keep up. If Zeke is as advertised, our defense should be okay.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I texted that to HoustonSucks during the game last night. If the Cowboys had actually had an opportunity to see what Morris would look like behind our line I don't think they would have drafted Zeke. They had film and scouting reports, but that's not the same as seeing how the guy performs on your team - and IMO Morris has exceeded expectation. He's a very shifty runner who can find yards in tight spaces. If they had a chance to see him and how well he is playing I don't think there is any way they would have gone RB at 4. I assume it would have been either Ramsey or trading down in round 1.
Look, I know Morris looks good. Looks damn good IMO. But you can never have enough explosiveness on offense. In this era of free agency and things of that nature, you have to choose which side of the ball you want to be dominant. IMO, New England always has a dominant offense and that defense is not a top-notch defense.

With Romo, Zeke, Morris, Dez, Witten, Beasley, Butler & Williams, I mean... Get outta hear.

plasticman

Reaction score
Well I'm with you there, just a couple more quality defensive signings at DE & LB would have made things a lot less dicey. I'm not sure if the Hardy situation soured them or if they're trying to hedge against the big cap hits when Romo/Witten retire,,, I don't think the progress stopper argument is valid for DL and LBs because those guys get to play in rotation. Then again, maybe they like their DEs and LBs and don't see the need.
What did the team of the 90's do?

They got veteran free agents, they traded for guys with talent but baggage as well. They drafted high, they drafted low. They used veterans they already had.

What are they doing now?

They signed veteran free agents. They signed talented guys with baggage. They have drafted high they have drafted low.

We could already have our Leon Lett, our Tony Casilles, our Tony Tolbert, our Jimmie Jones, our Daniel Stubbs. We thought we might have our Charles Haley......and maybe we do.

That dominant defense wasnt good until it was good. All the peices came together but for three seasons...pretty bad. Their average rank was 19.

In the following 8 seasons they were in the top 5 seven times...top 3 five times. This also coincided with them ranking top ten in turnover ratio most of the time.

When the peices come together it's like a machine running on all cylinders. We just have to wait for the teamwork and cohesion to happen.

I say they take a major step this season.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
A lot of us said Elliott was a luxury we couldn't afford all along.

We should have added to the defense with that pick. There's no doubt.

I agree. On the other hand, the Cowboys have the deepest offense in football.

Reaction score

They got veteran free agents, they traded for guys with talent but baggage as well. They drafted high, they drafted low. They used veterans they already had.

What are they doing now?

They signed veteran free agents. They signed talented guys with baggage. They have drafted high they have drafted low.

We could already have our Leon Lett, our Tony Casilles, our Tony Tolbert, our Jimmie Jones, our Daniel Stubbs. We thought we might have our Charles Haley......and maybe we do.

That dominant defense wasnt good until it was good. All the peices came together but for three seasons...pretty bad. Their average rank was 19.

In the following 8 seasons they were in the top 5 seven times...top 3 five times. This also coincided with them ranking top ten in turnover ratio most of the time.

When the peices come together it's like a machine running on all cylinders. We just have to wait for the teamwork and cohesion to happen.

I say they take a major step this season.

What I think really helped Jimmy's defense was he had a lot of young, coachable guys who came in together, grew together and gelled together at the same time. Blammo! They had a dominant, young defense that flew to the ball and punched you in the mouth when they got there. We could very well have the makings of a similar defense with the up-n-comers on the roster now. I've got a good feeling about this group.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
Something to consider: if this offense is as good as I think it is once it's out there all 4 quarters and stays healthy all year we'll win a majority of games just by simply OUTSCORING people.

All the defense would need to be is average.

slick325

Reaction score
I'm excited to see Zeke and Malik Collins out there...I know Zeke will be a player and I think Malik Collins can be very effective in the interior of the DL.

If Dallas lands good contributors from the 1st thru 4th rounds and one of those is a QB...I'd say yes it could be an epic draft. However, it is very early and time will tell. Just hope the players progress and stay healthy.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Used 1st or 2nd round picks to either draft or trade for eight defenders in 1991 and 92 -- missing on Kelvin Pritchett, and hitting on Russell Maryland, Kevin Smith, Robert Jones, Darren Woodson, Dixon Edwards, Tony Casillas, and Charles Haley.

plasticman

Reaction score
Used 1st or 2nd round picks to either draft or trade for eight defenders in 1991 and 92 -- missing on Kelvin Pritchett, and hitting on Russell Maryland, Kevin Smith, Robert Jones, Darren Woodson, Dixon Edwards, Tony Casillas, and Charles Haley.

And missed on their very first defensive player drafted, DE Rhondy Weston in the 3rd round. Missed on a 3rd or 4th round defensive player every year Jimmy Johnson was there. Clayton Holmes, Tony Hill, Mike Middleton, and Kevin Harris.

Cassillas and Haley weren't the only veterans they brought in either. Nobody remembers Dean Hammel, Willie Broughton, David Howard, Donald Ray Smith, etc, etc.

You keep bringing guys in until you get what you need. these days, you can't make free agent mistakes. It creates dead money. Better to go with your draft picks and undrafted rookies. I think the Cowboys have proven they are ahead of the game in that department.