Could This Cowboy Draft Be That Epic?

Plankton

Reaction score
Has any team ever drafted 3 hall of famers in one draft ? I guess there's a first time for everything

As mentioned by others, the Steelers drafted four in 1974, the Cowboys drafted three in 1964, and the Cleveland Browns drafted three in 1957 (Jim Brown, Henry Jordan, Gene Hickerson).

plasticman

Reaction score
We will just agree to disagree on this one. There are very few comparisons between this current defense and the 90s ones that were some of the best in football and sometimes referred to as one of the more underrated defenses in NFL history.

The fact there were misses by Johnson doesn't change the fact that the defenses in the 90s were built with upper echelon talent. The 90s defenses invested more into the defense than this current version.

Further, they didn't really need to "gel". They overhauled their defense in just two offseasons and did so with upper echelon talent. They added Castillas in 1991. Then in 1992, the year their defense was really good, they added two proven NFL studs in Everett and Haley (we acquired no players recently of their caliber) and then two #1 picks in Jones and Smith to the defense.

I hope you are right that this defense is really good, but there really is no comparison to the 90s defenses........... either in how they play or how they were built.

What seems to cloud the issue is the fact that they made the trade of the century and then another great trade of Steve Walsh, pretty much tripling their quantity of top picks for two to three years. This allowed them to accelerate the process but it was still the same process of drafting while trying to maintain value.

In any case, you win for now, which means that your opinion may be considered more relevant until we actually see some real games. In the end its the only way to find out.

But one more point before I go.

When all this was happening, when the JJ's were building that team one particular guy was paying attention. He had the best seat in the house while standing next to Jimmy holding a clipboard. He probably relies on that experience now and then.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you are talking about Garrett, technically, he didn't join the Cowboys until 1993, after the team had already been built.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Steve Walsh was not a great trade though. They at least got picks back but drafting him in the supplemental was a huge mistake that cost them the first overall pick the next year. One that had Junior Seau and Cortez Kennedy available and also an opportunity to trade the pick. Falcons received WR Andre Rison, LT Chris Hinton, 1990 5th, 1991 1st.

rwalters31

Reaction score
Could it be that in one single draft...

They got their future quarterback and runningback?

I know its only two preseason games and Im not saying he takes over this season or next.

However, hes going to get better. This guy has a high learning curve. Didnt play around in school, either. In his five years at Mississippi State, got his Master's Degree.

I saw Dez on the sidelines joking with Ezekiel Elliott. I think Dez sees it too, already has rapport with Dak.

Cant wait to see Zeke next week.

I think this is going to be an important season in Cowboy history.
What ever you are on, put it down! Cowboy drafts are not about the golden eggs laid but something more brown. Let's see how they preform under the big lights before calling them the chosen ones.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
What seems to cloud the issue is the fact that they made the trade of the century and then another great trade of Steve Walsh, pretty much tripling their quantity of top picks for two to three years. This allowed them to accelerate the process but it was still the same process of drafting while trying to maintain value.
That fact doesn't cloud the issue, it helps explain the quality of the defense you were lauding earlier in the thread -- and why it was so much better than the current version.

Imagine what the next few years would look like if 7 starters on the current defense had come from 1st or 2nd round picks in 2014 and 2015.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Could it be that in one single draft...

They got their future quarterback and runningback?

I know its only two preseason games and Im not saying he takes over this season or next.

However, hes going to get better. This guy has a high learning curve. Didnt play around in school, either. In his five years at Mississippi State, got his Master's Degree.

I saw Dez on the sidelines joking with Ezekiel Elliott. I think Dez sees it too, already has rapport with Dak.

Cant wait to see Zeke next week.

I think this is going to be an important season in Cowboy history.
Jaylon Smith might have the biggest impact of all 3.

This draft looks like its a goldstrike for us.

Going 4-12 was the hardest to endure as a fan.

Seeing us rebound with what we have drafted is looking to make up for it.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

In any case, you win for now, which means that your opinion may be considered more relevant until we actually see some real games. In the end its the only way to find out.

But one more point before I go.

When all this was happening, when the JJ's were building that team one particular guy was paying attention. He had the best seat in the house while standing next to Jimmy holding a clipboard. He probably relies on that experience now and then.
Jimmy's drafting was always overrated to me....his talent was accumulating picks and getting success by shear volume.....he also got worse as he and his staff got further and further away from recruiting and playing against all the top talent in college......it was the same wave Pete Carroll rode when he came into the league