Could Vince Young be a Dallas Cowboy?

CowboyMark

Reaction score
Credit for this article belongs to Poet Tree, a staff writer for Dallas Cowboys Central.

Is it possible that Vince Young could be the future franchise quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys??? Read on...

Okay, so, things are shaping up kind of interestingly...

The Saints, with the #2 pick in the draft, just signed Drew Brees to a long-term deal. They will no longer be in the running for Matt Leinart from this point. No, chances are they will be selecting the best defensive player on the board & passing Leinart off to Tennessee; specifically, Norm Chow... Leinart's offensive coordinator with USC.

(Vince Drops to 4)

The Jets? They just resigned Chad Pennington, a young pro-bowler who's struggled with injuries but may return to form, and are apparently very interested in trading the Commanders for Patrick Ramsey. They, too, are not likely to be interested in taking a quarterback with their selection, but rather, would take the best offensive lineman on the board to protect the somewhat fragile one they've got and/or the former first-rounder they acquire from the 'skins. And apparently, D'Brickshaw Ferguson is considered the best left tackle prospect to come out in over a decade. He's their pick.

(Vince Drops to 5)

Green Bay: got Aaron Rogers last year, still have Favre and need defense.

San Francisco: drafted Alex Smith #1 overall in the previous draft. 'Nuff said.

Oakland: once thought to be Young's most likely landing spot, they just acquired Josh McCown--a young, athletic, up & coming QB. It's doubtful they signed him to be a backup. Most likely...

(Vince Drops to 8)

Buffalo: just took J.P. Losman.

Detroit: still committed to Harrington, the former #2 overall pick in the draft--Mike Martz's reputation as a sublime "developer of quarterbacks" coming into play. And hey, with the Lions' penchant for taking Longhorn players, it's hard to imagine them passing on Michael Huff.

(Vince Drops to 10)

Now, the Arizona Cardinals represent the most intriguing stopping-point of this fall, as a young quarterback who's willing to sit for a year or two and learn would be ideal to bring around behind the still good (but fading) Kurt Warner. But there's another storyline going on here, and that is of the Cardinals' new stadium. They are said to have $67 million dollars in cap-room for the 2007 season; an almost incredulous figure. This in correspondence with having just moved into a new stadium. I can only imagine that Bill Bidwell will want his team to be competitive at that time to take advantage of its newfound exposure. And so, the most logical choice for that outcome would be to select TE Vernon Davis with that 10th pick... a man who is being hailed as possibly the best tight-end prospect in the history of the draft... who would potently round out an offense that already includes two pro-bowl receivers, one pro-bowl running back (the newly acquired Edgerrin James) & and a former League and Superbowl MVP quarterback in Kurt Warner. Vernon Davis would make their offense... which Dennis Green knows something about... positively terrifying. Chances are, with every subplot in play...

(Vince Drops to 11)

At this point, he kind of moves into a free-fall from picks #12 through #15--as those teams are already somewhat committed at QB. Miami would have been a likely landing spot, but they just traded a 2nd-rounder for Dante Culpepper. Thus, the 'fins are no longer in the quarterback market. Which brings us to the greatest potential stumbling block between Vince and the Cowboys @ 18: the Minnesota Vikings.

Having just shipped their franchise quarterback away to Miami, they are most certainly in the market for one. And given their last QB more-than-passingly fits the mold of Mr. Young... big, strong, athletic, mobile; makes plays with his legs... it's not inconceivable that Vince would be their ideal choice. His talent is undeniable. But the curve ball at this point could be Jay Cutler, the strong-armed Favre-clone that everyone's been raving about. With the questions that have arisen about Young's potential as an NFL quarterback, it's quite possible that the Vikings could go with the "safer" pick and select Cutler--who fits a more traditional mold & could be the understudy to veteran Brad Johnson for a year or two. If so...

(Vince Drops to 18)

Now, what the Cowboys do at this point is anyone's guess. I mean, they could very well have their phones ringing off the hook for a trade from some team that covets him. But then again, maybe they covet him? I mean, I know Jerry Jones is high on Drew Henson and that Romo has been given high, high marks by everyone. But are they so sure one of them develops that they'd pass on the potential of a one-of-a-kind talent like Vince Young? Are they willing to let that opportunity... a man who could indeed become the next Michael Vick--or--quite possibly, the first Michael "Jordan" of football... pass them by and forever then be known as the team that "could've" had him? Did the Cowboys learn any lessons from passing on Randy Moss?? Are they willing to take that chance???

The thing that could throw a wrench into all this is if someone trades up with New Orleans to select Leinart. If that happens, then it's a whole new ball game (no pun intended). So watch that 2nd pick. We should know early. If the Saints stay put and take DE Mario Williams @ 2, then sit back & hold on...

.... 'cause Vince could very conceivably drop -- right into a Cowboys uniform!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Nooooooooooooooooo!

OMG, where is T.O. when we need him! :eek:

TheHustler

Reaction score
Detroit is NOT committed to Harrington, and Harrington is NOT committed to Detroit.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
CowboyMark said:
Oakland: once thought to be Young's most likely landing spot, they just acquired Josh McCown--a young, athletic, up & coming QB. It's doubtful they signed him to be a backup. Most likely...
No, McCown signed with the Lions earlier today, so most likely if VY is on the board here the Raiders take him.

cowboys101

Reaction score
HardHittin'Witten said:
there is no way BP and JJ take a QB in the 1st round.

they will only look for ex baseball players. Tp be our QB.

If Dallas can get Young they better make the move. Bledsoe Is just another stop gap.

I would rather see us go 0-16 this year and get Brady Quinn in the next draft.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
I apprecated his game against USC but no way on Young. First, BP doesnt want ANY young QB and also Young might prove to be like Vick and perform terrific stunts on the field but be a poor passer, not a good thing in a traditional type offense we run.
Not that I'd be opposed to moving up, I don't think we will ofcourse, but I would applaud a move to grab D'brick Ferguson.

cowboys#1

Finish!
Reaction score
keep dreamin! the guy single handedly beat the USC TROJANS! stop smoking glue, vince goes top 6

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
No.

If Vince Young drops the Cowboys, he will drop right on by the Cowboys.

There is no way BP/JJ take a quarterback at #18, even if the superior Cutler is there. Our QB is Bledsoe.

There is also no way BP drafts an individual to play at quarterback who is dumb, hasn't run a pro offense, and has a questionable throwing ability. If you stop to think even one nanosecond about Bill Parcells and the kind of players he likes, you will know that there is an absolute 0% chance BP would ever draft someone like Vince Young in any round to play quarterback.

If Vince Young drops to us in the 7th round, there is no way BP drafts Vince Young as a quarterback.

The only, ONLY way Vince Young becomes a Cowboys is if they draft him as a WR.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
CowboyMark said:

Hey tard, why don't you do some research before you start making bonehead predictions. Normally I wouldn't criticize something like this, but only if the person writing it had done their homework. You, my friend, clearly didn't.

Thanks for the humor though.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
cowboys101 said:
they will only look for ex baseball players. Tp be our QB.

If Dallas can get Young they better make the move. Bledsoe Is just another stop gap.

I would rather see us go 0-16 this year and get Brady Quinn in the next draft.
I'll rather go 16-0 this year, win the Super Bowl, rather bank on a QB who had one good year!!!!!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
cowboys#1 said:
keep dreamin! the guy single handedly beat the USC TROJANS! stop smoking glue, vince goes top 6

this isn't college. you can't play that way in the pros. then there is the issues of his intelligence.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
I ABSOLUTLEY, 100%, GUARANTEE THAT IF VINCE YOUNG FELL TO US AT #18, WE WOULD TRADE DOWN OR PASS ON HIM.

Thankfully JJ and BP are not as foolish as many here seem to be.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
I ABSOLUTLEY, 100%, GUARANTEE THAT IF VINCE YOUNG FELL TO US AT #18, WE WOULD TRADE DOWN OR PASS ON HIM.

Thankfully JJ and BP are not as foolish as most here seem to be.

couldnt agree more

other than drafting a kicker or punter there, Young would probably be the biggest possible waste of our #1 pick

David

Joe a Cowboys fan

Reaction score
Unless we can find a team that will take our #18 and our draft pick to be named after Bill retires I doubt the Boys will draft a QB or a WR in the first round. but it is a thought.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Cowboy from New York said:
I apprecated his game against USC but no way on Young. First, BP doesnt want ANY young QB and also Young might prove to be like Vick and perform terrific stunts on the field but be a poor passer, not a good thing in a traditional type offense we run.
Not that I'd be opposed to moving up, I don't think we will ofcourse, but I would applaud a move to grab D'brick Ferguson.

Vince Young is worth the 18th pick period, but he won't be there. As for BP, so you think he wanted to cut Keyshawn for TO. I think Jones finally grabbed his manhood and overrode Parcells. If Young is there at 18, Jones will pick him despite any protests from Parcells.