Could we do ourselves a favor and stay at the 5 spot?

jujoboys

Reaction score
I dunno. I'm not saying I'm afraid of the Rams and Packers.... but I'd much rather make them Philly's or Detroit's problem than ours.

The NFC South is the only division comprising of 4 pieces of turds.

Packers have some life. They're not a great team, but would anyone be surprised if they upset Detroit? And the Rams upsetting the Eagles would probably be seen as 50/50 if you poll everyone on this board.

I realize we're relinquishing our right to play at home, but.... maybe we'll get one home game even as a 5th seed. You never know. I don't think we'll get the 1 seed even if we do pull out the #2 seed. SF losing to Baltimore might not be enough. And if they do, will we stay undefeated the rest of the way? Miami, Detroit, and Washington look like 3 regressing teams but Buffalo is a lowkey AFC Championship game contender. If we beat Buffalo, doe - maybe we can start the watch party on Philly and SF's remaining games.
Here is the problem with this scenario. If Dallas is the 5 seed then yes we get what should be an easy game on the road against the NFC South.

(And this is assuming that there are no upsets in the 1st round). The problem is that forces Dallas to play against the #1 seed in the 2nd round which will be SF or Philly then in the 3rd round we would most likely get SF or Philly. I don't like a scenario where we have to go on the road and beat the winner of the NFC South, SF, and Philly.. It's most likely the path we will have to take. I would much rather we get the #1 or #2 seed. We play better at home and to be honest i don't fear the Packers, Rams, or whatever team gets the remaining wild card spots.

Flamma

Reaction score
You didn’t think this through far enough

As the 5 seed, you will get the 1 seed after we wallop the 4 seed. That’s going to be @ SF most likely. I’d rather not play them in the divisional round. Give me them as late as possible. Nfccg
To be honest, I think Detroit is losing to the 6th seed.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The last time the 49ers played the Cowboys at AT&T stadium, there were a lot of 49ers fans at the game because the 49ers have a huge following in the Austin area.

The same thing happens to the 49ers at their stadium because the Cowboys have a lot of fans in California.

In reality, the only away games a good playoff team should be concerned with are those that may be impacted by severe seasonal weather such as very cold temperatures, heavy snow, etc.

I would think most teams would rather play away playoff games in San Francisco in January than they would places like Buffalo, Green Bay, etc.

In any case .. good teams find ways to win games. If the Cowboys are good enough, they should be able to beat any team no matter where the game is played.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I don't understand how you watch what this team has done at home and feel it's better to go on the road and play.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Get the 1 seed and keep home field advantage. Probably going to need to play SF at Dallas to have the best chance.

The Eagles are reeling. Another loss is possible.

The 49ers have Baltimore coming up. That is a bad match up for SF IMO.

Win out and hope for some help.
It’s a worse match up for Baltimore.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I know, it's sad that I feel I have to place such a caveat on a post but that's where we are now.
Actually, you don't have to. Post without looking over your shoulder and let what will be, be. So many people here care far too much about what someone else "might" say, especially people with sports media who warned us to ignore them in the first place. Be one with your keyboard (but don't get it all sticky, lol).

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't understand how you watch what this team has done at home and feel it's better to go on the road and play.
I don't think anyone is saying they "feel it's better" to go on the road.

What they are saying is that since 1) the Cowboys do not control their destiny for the #1 seed or even the division at this point and 2) what the fans think has no bearing on where games are played, then the Cowboys should be good enough to win away games in the playoffs.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Play and win our games and get who we get. We can't control anything other than our own performance levels, just focus on that.

( by we, I do of course mean the Dallas Cowboys. I am aware I do not play for the team)

Whether you are officially a part of the Dallas Cowboys or not, you are within your rights to use we. Without fans, there is no team. So in a way, fans are a vital component of the team.

JustChip

Reaction score
What makes you think Detroit and Philly will hold? One of those (if not both) I would bet good money would be upset. Which means we don't play SF next round.

If we get the 1 seed, then sure. But Im thinking maybe it's better being the #5 than the #2.
In no way is being a WC and having to play 3 road games better than a Division winner and getting the 1st game at home, probably the 1st 2.

Being the 5 seed would most likely shape up exactly like last year. Last regular season game in Wardhington, travel to Eastern Timezone (unless it N’awlins) game, and then cross-country to SF.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The ghost of playoffs past has our fans scared of the Cowboys playing the 49ers at their home. It will do the fans good to see the Cowboys beat the 49ers in Santa Clara. I believe we can do it. Granted, that matchup would be a worst-case scenario for our Cowboys but I believe exorcising that demon will allow the Cowboys to cross the threshold of being elite for years to come. This is how the dynasty of the '90s was born. Regularly beating teams that you haven't regularly beaten in the past is how you know your team has arrived at elite status. So I take the approach to take care of your own business and let the chips fall where they may. If that gives us a 1-seed and a first-round bye in the playoffs then embrace it. If it gives us a 5-seed then continue to take care of business. Do not fear any team.
There was this team in 1992 that had travel west to prove thier metal..... home/away if this team keeps playing like this we got a shot!

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is saying they "feel it's better" to go on the road.

What they are saying is that since 1) the Cowboys do not control their destiny for the #1 seed or even the division at this point and 2) what the fans think has no bearing on where games are played, then the Cowboys should be good enough to win away games in the playoffs.
But it's exactly the premise of the thread.
I would rather have 2 potential home games as the second seed, even if that means playing Seattle, MN or Detroit at home first in the Wild Card round, than travel to Tampa Bay and then to Philadelphia.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You mean the GB team that just got beat on a last minute drive by Danny...errr...Tommy DaVito and the NYG?
Or the Rams we already dismantled at home, and would play them again at home in the playoffs with the #2 seed.
There we go with the results of previous games on teams we already played, I just don't get this!!!

DallasInDC

Reaction score
You play to win and you let the chips fall where they may...don't seek out the easy route.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
Get the 1 seed and keep home field advantage. Probably going to need to play SF at Dallas to have the best chance.

The Eagles are reeling. Another loss is possible.

The 49ers have Baltimore coming up. That is a bad match up for SF IMO.

Win out and hope for some help.
If they get past Seattle we will be #5… Let’s hope that this malaise continues…

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dude.......with the way we are playing this is a problem every NFC team is asking/facing. How to avoid us....not the other way around. As of now, I'm confident, except the 49ers ( on their turf ) can beat every NFL team. This may sound a bit cocky and arrogant but it's the confidence I'm feeling.
The Cowboys aren’t nearly as big a threat on the road as they are at home. We’re 3-3 on the road. We haven’t been the same dominating team on the road, especially on grass. We’ve only won one game on grass this season at Carolina. We only put up just over 300 yards against them. Everyone wants to avoid playing us at home.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
Detroit may lose out the nfc north is wide open right now. Even the bears could make a run.

Mark

Reaction score
More "stratetgic-losing" talk, based upon who you're most afraid to play. The mission is to whip whoever is in front of you, wherever that contest happens to be venued.

I don't understand people giving up on the division & conference. Everybody has four games left to play. And everybody saw what happened - twice - last night. Literally anything can happen in this League.