Could You Be Talked Into Vontaze Burfict and Melvin Ingram?

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Man, I had the Arizona State vs. Oregon recorded on my DVR and finally watched it. I have to say Vontaze Burfict gave a really really poor performance throughout the entire game.

It's one thing to be dominated by a physically larger OG, but it's entirely different to just simply acquiesse to the blocker and get pushed around the field. I was also left unimpressed with his general lack of effort in terms of pursuit, taking the right angle in chasing down ball carriers, et cetera. There were glimpses of where he showed some burst, but in general, it was a woeful showing.

I'm still a Burfict fan, but that was pretty pathetic.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
realtick;4205928 said:
Man, I had the Arizona State vs. Oregon recorded on my DVR and finally watched it. I have to say Vontaze Burfict gave a really really poor performance throughout the entire game.

It's one thing to be dominated by a physically larger OG, but it's entirely different to just simply acquiesse to the blocker and get pushed around the field. I was also left unimpressed with his general lack of effort in terms of pursuit, taking the right angle in chasing down ball carriers, et cetera. There were glimpses of where he showed some burst, but in general, it was a woeful showing.

I think youre exaggerating because you watched him exclusively after seeing his name so high recently in some mocks.

I agree it wasnt a classic, but thats also a really tough matchup for him to show himself. How often did they run up the gut or send a fullback at him?

I agree there were times where his angle looked to be solely for the purpose of hitting people, and not following the ball. Thats why people will hammer home the "if you can get him to focus" line this year. But I will tkae that over someone whos afraid of contact and may or may not sport a blond ponytail.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;4207327 said:
I think youre exaggerating because you watched him exclusively after seeing his name so high recently in some mocks.

I agree it wasnt a classic, but thats also a really tough matchup for him to show himself. How often did they run up the gut or send a fullback at him?

I agree there were times where his angle looked to be solely for the purpose of hitting people, and not following the ball. Thats why people will hammer home the "if you can get him to focus" line this year. But I will tkae that over someone whos afraid of contact and may or may not sport a blond ponytail.

I didn't just hear about him "after seeing his name so high recently in some mocks." I had the chance to record the game, so I did. I wanted to key in on him since he's a player that interests me.

Not being afraid of contact isn't some unique special ability that Burfict owns exclusively. Your average linebacker by nature isn't going to be afraid of contact (with exception to Bob Carpenter).

On the level, I'd much rather have a linebacker that is completely into the game and active, versus a linebacker who you're worried about keeping focus and giving effort.

I'm not even harping on some of the bad angles he took, I'm more concerned with his general lack of effort demonstrated in this game. Notice I said this game, as I'm not making general pronouncments on him entirely.

"How often did they run up the gut or send a fullback at him?"

C'mon man, seriously? Is Vontaze that specialized that he can only perform if they send a running back up the gut?

Oregon ran the ball 49 times for 327 yards and 3 TDs! I'm not blaming Burfict for all of those yards. However, he showed really poor effort in pursuit and in getting off blocks; it was apparent just watching him through a TV screen.

Also of concern are his instincts. There were more than a handful of times he was left at the LOS fighting blocks and failing to locate the ball while the play had already passed him on the perimeter.

Keep in mind, I'm a Burfict fan, but a spade is a spade at least for this game.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
realtick;4207405 said:
Lol, do you think you hipped the board to Burfict?

Before I read the rest I meant the draftcountdown.com mock that had him like 11th. I saw some guys at interesting spots and went back to take a looksie at others as well.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
realtick;4207405 said:
I didn't just hear about him "after seeing his name so high recently in some mocks." I had the chance to record the game, so I did. I wanted to key in on him since he's a player that interests me.

Same. My point was you were watching Vontaze exclusively(probably for the 2nd time against Oregon?) looking to see a top 10 pick.

Not being afraid of contact isn't some unique special ability that Burfict owns exclusively. Your average linebacker by nature isn't going to be afraid of contact (with exception to Bob Carpenter).

On the level, I'd much rather have a linebacker that is completely into the game and active, versus a linebacker who you're worried about keeping focus and giving effort.

I'm not even harping on some of the bad angles he took, I'm more concerned with his general lack of effort demonstrated in this game. Notice I said this game, as I'm not making general pronouncments on him entirely.

"How often did they run up the gut or send a fullback at him?"

C'mon man, seriously? Is Vontaze that specialized that he can only perform if they send a running back up the gut?

Oregon ran the ball 49 times for 327 yards and 3 TDs! I'm not blaming Burfict for all of those yards. However, he showed really poor effort in pursuit and in getting off blocks; it was apparent just watching him through a TV screen.

Keep in mind, I'm a Burfict fan, but a spade is a spade.
W/ all of Oregons misdirection its easy to run away from him. With how quick their athletes are I came away impressed with how he caught a lot of them from behind.

I didnt see a lack of fire, I saw some bizarre interest in just running into people. Whether or not they had the ball wasnt always a priority. On one play he blew up the A-gap and choose to hit the QB who was handing the ball off. Porbably because that was such a beautiful clean shot.

I think the Ducks were talking and he lost focus and wanted to hurt some guys. He could have played a better game.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;4207416 said:
Before I read the rest I meant the draftcountdown.com mock that had him like 11th. I saw some guys at interesting spots and went back to take a looksie at others as well.

Oh, I got you.

Yeah, they got players in spots in the first round that won't even sniff the 1st round come draft time.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;4207423 said:
My point was you were watching Vontaze exclusively(probably for the 2nd time?) looking to see a top 10 pick.

Lol, c'mon MBIII, I live in Pac-10/now 12 country in California. I've both heard and seen Burfict play since last year. Admittedly, I don't live to record and breakdown Arizona State games, but I did record this game with the intent on keying in on Burfict.

BTW, do you believe he's really his listed 6'3" 250 lbs?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
realtick;4207429 said:
Lol, c'mon MBIII, I live in Pac-10/now 12 country in California. I've both heard and seen Burfict play since last year. Admittedly, I don't live to record and breakdown Arizona State games, but I did record this game with the intent on keying in on Burfict.

BTW, do you believe he's really his listed 6'3" 250 lbs?

Already edited it before your response. I know you by know.

He doesnt look exceptionally tall. I could see him being 6'2". He looks every bit of 250 though.

If these are both him he went from this as a freshman:

567974.jpg

to this:

365948.jpg

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;4207442 said:

What the......no way.

Are you sure that's him on the bottom? Because honestly, he looks a little pudgy in the gut this season. That would be quite a transformation, although Brian Cushing is infamous for making a dramatic one of his own too, lol.

recommended_reading_tracing_the_roots_of_vontaze_burficts_appetite_for_destruction.jpg

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Its from a story about Illinois FB Jay Prosch going head to head with Vontaze.

Im assuming that is Vontaze in the picture and not Prosch because a Google on Prosch shows this

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
realtick;4205928 said:

I watched that game on DVR also. I was dissappointed with Burfict.

He looked much slower than last year.

There was speculation that all the penalties might have taken some of the fire out of him. He did get a personal foul that I didn't think he deserved. The ball carrier stepped out of bounds and then back onto the field. Burfict hit him while he was on the field and carried the tackle out of bounds.

He looks like he gained significant weight from last year. I think this might have more to do with slowing him down than the penalties.

jnday

Reaction score
xwalker;4207476 said:
I watched that game on DVR also. I was dissappointed with Burfict.

He looked much slower than last year.

There was speculation that all the penalties might have taken some of the fire out of him. He did get a personal foul that I didn't think he deserved. The ball carrier stepped out of bounds and then back onto the field. Burfict hit him while he was on the field and carried the tackle out of bounds.

He looks like he gained significant weight from last year. I think this might have more to do with slowing him down than the penalties.
I have watched Burfict only 1 time this year and I really like the attitude that he plays with , mean.

azcowboy

Reaction score
i am a HUGE ASU homer, and a couple years ago i dreamed of the cowboys drafting burfict as our new stud MLB for years to come. after seeing him the last 2 years tho, i pray we dont draft him and dont think he is worth the projections they are giving for him. he still makes stupid penalties during games, plays out of the system and looks to me to give up if things arent going his way easy enough. the kid has massive talent, but also seems to be lazy and dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to the big picture. unfortunatley i would have to pass on drafting him.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
See what I mean about a Vontaze Burfict type attitude being useful??

Edit: I meant the Cowboys but looks like Taze had a good game against Colorado. Up 27 points and still playing hard on a goal line stand
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXqZjNr4Jww[/youtube]

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Chris in Arizona;4172714 said:
Konz = Mangold 1

DeCastro = Faneca 3

Minnifield = Revis 1708

Burfict = Ray Ray 2

fixed it for ya

Minnifield is somewhere in the 5th-7th best corner

J Jenkins
M Claiborne
D Kirkpatrick
A Dennard

are all better than Minnifield imo.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Vontaze Is a marked man by officials . Another lame roughing call.

That could hamper his game in the pros

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;4224187 said:
Vontaze Is a marked man by officials . Another lame roughing call.

That could hamper his game in the pros

That was a ticky-tac flag for sure.

Are you able to get the game live right now?

Bro, his lack of effort in pursuit is disturbing. Check out him jogging on UCLA's first TD. Also, the same total lack of effort on the long run during the same drive.

I don't know what this kid's problem is. I can handle overzealous, mean, wanna-hurt-someone attitude, but I can't players that don't give effort.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
realtick;4224207 said:
That was a ticky-tac flag for sure.

Are you able to get the game live right now?

Bro, his lack of effort in pursuit is disturbing. Check out him jogging on UCLA's first TD. Also, the same total lack of effort on the long run during the same drive.

I don't know what this kid's problem is. I can handle overzealous, mean, wanna-hurt-someone attitude, but I can't players that don't give effort.

That was a bad drive. Had maybe 1 good play and the rest he was invisible.

I also need to remember that it's unfair of mr to watch just him and expect things to be poppin all the time.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;4224210 said:
I also need to remember that it's unfair of mr to watch just him and expect things to be poppin all the time.

That's true, but just keep an eye on his general lack of effort on plays that aren't coming straight at him. The kid is joggins in pursuit.