Counting Down The 50 Greatest Quarterbacks In NFL History

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
basically you claimed players years ago could not carry todays players jocks.

Because they are better athletes

which just shows a very shallow understanding of things
And they aren't even better athletes either. We have to constantly change the rules because the modern athlete is far more fragile and doesn't want to practice.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
@DallasInDC ... Thanks for Sharing ...

I was waiting for some here to present and project their very own top ranked listing..oh well but since that hasnt happened. Here goes. !
( I like to mostly going by those i've have seen play, so sorry if the * old schoolers ... have to take a back seat)

1. Tom Brady
2. Pat Mahomes
3. Peyton Manning
4. Joe Montana
5. Dan Marino
6. Drew Brees
7. Kurt Warner
8. John Elway
9. Aaron Rodgers
10. Brett Favre
11. Dan Fouts
12. Terry Bradshaw
13 Roger Staubach
14 Steve Young
15. Ben Roethlisberger
16. Jim Kelly
17. Warren Moon
18. Matt Ryan
19 Lamar Jackson
20 Troy Aikman
21 Randall Cunningham
22.Matthew Stafford
23.Steve McNair
24. Eli Manning
25. Phillip Rivers
26. Boomer Esiason
27. Joe Namath
28. Dak Prescott
29. Donovan McNabb
30. Eli Manning
31. Ken Anderson
32. Ken Stabler
33. Tony Romo
34..Carson Palmer
35. Russell Wilson
36. Joe Flacco
37. Rich Gannon
38. Joe Theisman
39 Y.A. Tittle *
40. Johnny Unitas *
41. Fran Tarkenton *
42. Sammy Baugh *
43. Bart Starr *
44. Jim Plunkett
45.Otto Graham *
46. Len Dawson *
47. Roman Gabriel *
48.George Blanda *
49.John Brodie *
50. Sonny Jurgensen *
Jackson isn't 1/20th the QB Aikman was. Ludicrous to rank him higher.

kskboys

Reaction score
@DallasInDC ... Thanks for Sharing ...

I was waiting for some here to present and project their very own top ranked listing..oh well but since that hasnt happened. Here goes. !
( I like to mostly going by those i've have seen play, so sorry if the * old schoolers ... have to take a back seat)

1. Tom Brady
2. Pat Mahomes
3. Peyton Manning
4. Joe Montana
5. Dan Marino
6. Drew Brees
7. Kurt Warner
8. John Elway
9. Aaron Rodgers
10. Brett Favre
11. Dan Fouts
12. Terry Bradshaw
13 Roger Staubach
14 Steve Young
15. Ben Roethlisberger
16. Jim Kelly
17. Warren Moon
18. Matt Ryan
19 Lamar Jackson
20 Troy Aikman
21 Randall Cunningham
22.Matthew Stafford
23.Steve McNair
24. Eli Manning
25. Phillip Rivers
26. Boomer Esiason
27. Joe Namath
28. Dak Prescott
29. Donovan McNabb
30. Eli Manning
31. Ken Anderson
32. Ken Stabler
33. Tony Romo
34..Carson Palmer
35. Russell Wilson
36. Joe Flacco
37. Rich Gannon
38. Joe Theisman
39 Y.A. Tittle *
40. Johnny Unitas *
41. Fran Tarkenton *
42. Sammy Baugh *
43. Bart Starr *
44. Jim Plunkett
45.Otto Graham *
46. Len Dawson *
47. Roman Gabriel *
48.George Blanda *
49.John Brodie *
50. Sonny Jurgensen *
Lamar better than Aikman? C'moooooooooooooooooooooooon.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Lamar better than Aikman? C'moooooooooooooooooooooooon.
Well, at least this fan was honest in saying he leaned with QB’s he’s seen play. Which probably is more of a qualifier for much of the divide in opinions we are seeing.

All these fans who didn’t live thru those eras is looking at stats and old videos which will never tell the whole story and impacts of those athletes. And they don’t seem to trust their elders remembrance and judgement.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This era of the NFL has been such a watered down version with the Salary Cap. Yes. There’s still cream at the top but teams are going much less deeper thru their rosters as a result. The league has decided to only afford to pay the top 10% to 20% of its talent which leaves basically the rest of these rosters with young talent in their first contracts teams can afford as a result.

They want to compare athletes. Yes, these 300+ lineman could very well take on those 200-250 lb lineman but not because of more talent or desire and heart to play the game and win. Yes, these athletes this era are year round athletes with year round training with the best facilities. But you can’t measure the heart of a champion and raw god given ability.,

I’d go back as far as Jim Thorpe considered the greatest athlete ever. Sammy Baugh who my grandfather said was greatest athlete he ever saw play. Unitas greatest QB my dad ever saw play which I saw him play near end of his career. Much like Jim Brown was most dominating player for a decade. Earl Campbell was probably the most dominating talent I saw in my lifetime.

We can’t deny their greatness or their athletic ability simply cause their stats don’t measure up to this era. All you can be is the best of your era. Some of these athletes this era are indeed great in their own right but doesn’t necessarily elevate them above great talents from previous eras simply cause of better stats which is impacted by more games players play per season , the type of fields and elements( no dome stadiums and or astroturf) , their size ( didn’t have performance enhancing drugs ), the rule changes( more protection of QB’s and receivers ) and the
strategies of the game( more pass happy).

In my lifetime I’d put OJ, Walter Peyton, Barry Sanders and Dorsett’s god given athletic ability up against anyone in this era. Pure talent. The NFL was more of a running style offenses and was greatest era of running the football. This era is more of a passing style game and we are arguably seeing some of the greatest receivers to ever play. And some of these QB’s are going to be rated higher as a result as well. And stats are going to be skewed. We have to take a step back and simply view their pure prolific passing abilities and achievements. That doesn’t mean that these QB’s ultimately could become some of the greatest ever. It also doesn’t discount greatness of prior eras.

Bob Hayes. There’s been no one in this era who had the speed he did. The Man completely changed how defenses were played. Imagine in this era with the protection receivers had if you put Usian Bolt on the field and taught him to catch the ball.The Cowboys drafted Carl Lewis but couldn’t convince him to play. All great historic talents regardless the era are great. Which is my point.

And it’s really difficult to say who’s greater. I think we can draw some comparisons but can’t be purely on QB ratings and stats. Prescott is on pace this year to break all Cowboys passing records but surely most don’t think he was a greater QB than Aikman or Staubach.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Thoughts? :popcorn:

https://newarena.com/nfl/counting-down-the-50-greatest-quarterbacks-in-nfl-history-2/

Cowboys on the List:

42 Tony Romo
14 Roger Staubach
12 Troy Aikman

QBs who wore the jersey but are not True Cowboys
50 Drew Bledsoe
39 Randall Cunningham

There are definitely a lot of headscratchers there from my perspective.
No Dak???!!!!
handsome-asian-young-man-angry-man-screaming-shouting-out-loud-isolated-on-white-background-photo.jpg

DallasInDC

Reaction score
This era of the NFL has been such a watered down version with the Salary Cap. Yes. There’s still cream at the top but teams are going much less deeper thru their rosters as a result. The league has decided to only afford to pay the top 10% to 20% of its talent which leaves basically the rest of these rosters with young talent in their first contracts teams can afford as a result.

They want to compare athletes. Yes, these 300+ lineman could very well take on those 200-250 lb lineman but not because of more talent or desire and heart to play the game and win. Yes, these athletes this era are year round athletes with year round training with the best facilities. But you can’t measure the heart of a champion and raw god given ability.,

I’d go back as far as Jim Thorpe considered the greatest athlete ever. Sammy Baugh who my grandfather said was greatest athlete he ever saw play. Unitas greatest QB my dad ever saw play which I saw him play near end of his career. Much like Jim Brown was most dominating player for a decade. Earl Campbell was probably the most dominating talent I saw in my lifetime.

We can’t deny their greatness or their athletic ability simply cause their stats don’t measure up to this era. All you can be is the best of your era. Some of these athletes this era are indeed great in their own right but doesn’t necessarily elevate them above great talents from previous eras simply cause of better stats which is impacted by more games players play per season , the type of fields and elements( no dome stadiums and or astroturf) , their size ( didn’t have performance enhancing drugs ), the rule changes( more protection of QB’s and receivers ) and the
strategies of the game( more pass happy).

In my lifetime I’d put OJ, Walter Peyton, Barry Sanders and Dorsett’s god given athletic ability up against anyone in this era. Pure talent. The NFL was more of a running style offenses and was greatest era of running the football. This era is more of a passing style game and we are arguably seeing some of the greatest receivers to ever play. And some of these QB’s are going to be rated higher as a result as well. And stats are going to be skewed. We have to take a step back and simply view their pure prolific passing abilities and achievements. That doesn’t mean that these QB’s ultimately could become some of the greatest ever. It also doesn’t discount greatness of prior eras.

Bob Hayes. There’s been no one in this era who had the speed he did. The Man completely changed how defenses were played. Imagine in this era with the protection receivers had if you put Usian Bolt on the field and taught him to catch the ball.The Cowboys drafted Carl Lewis but couldn’t convince him to play. All great historic talents regardless the era are great. Which is my point.

And it’s really difficult to say who’s greater. I think we can draw some comparisons but can’t be purely on QB ratings and stats. Prescott is on pace this year to break all Cowboys passing records but surely most don’t think he was a greater QB than Aikman or Staubach.
Agree you can't rank players comparing their stats across generations. I believe you need to create era's and then rank according to the era they played in and then rank all based on the size of their margins compared to the others that are ranked... still have to apply some degree of subjectivity to get final rankings but at least it normalizes the differences between era's.