CFZ Couple of bye week thoughts

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Great points per usual…

Only thing I don’t agree with is the need for a WR. Gallup is the fight for the ball type you’re looking for and while many aren’t wowed by him, the team clearly thinks something of Washington, and he is returning soon. Between the starters, him, and Brown….also the need for more Turpin snaps…we are ok there barring injury. Also we need to stay with the run, not have another WR who needs targets.

I’m also concerned about Parsons but prefer to remain in denial over it lol. At least the bye is here for him to get a breather. Looking forward to him drilling Rodgers into the dirt.

I’d add a shout out to Malik Davis who I thought ran pretty well.
Look at Parsons during and after the game, he looks completely beaten up. Quinn hasn't really moved him around much this yr, think they need to start playing him more off ball to keep him healthy. He will still have plenty of chances to rush the passer and also will help out our run defense.

I think our receivers are too finesse you going after the football. We are going to have to face teams like Philly who can cover tightly, need a receiver to win those matchups even being covered.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Micah is completely worn out playing DE most of the time.taking on double team will kill even proper size DEs and Micah is a light weight.If we want Micah to survive 17 games and be ready for the playoffs we should play him at LB and move him to De when we need him.
Couldn't agree more. Game like yesterday he would of been better served playing linebacker.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We have been built to play elite passing QB's, but those strong running teams will continue to give us problems unless Quinn starts to play bigger lineman.

Well better figure it out, fast.........someone mentioned several teams on the remaining schedule have strong running games.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Very good points. I think I would keep Tyler Smith at LT until Tyron gets back. Tyler is the future, gotta take our lumps now to get him ready. Our winning formula yesterday should work against most teams. Ball control offense, let the o line flow then explosive play happens. DLaw needs to be told to read before reacting especially against a mobile qb, he will still get sacks with the relentless pressure the rest if the d line gets. Agree with you on Parsons, He is a misfit going against 310lb OT. He wins some of the times, but his play drains him of energy which can lead to injury .
agree hes learning on the job and done very well, not without Mistakes but hes having rookie season much like Tyrone did. im not moving him ever. he needs this year to learn and doing well learning.. you don't change and offense, thats working the OL is gelling and LG is the only question. Its bad luck the last 5 years trying to keep one LGG healthy or consistent. crazy how that one position we can't see to get steady.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Well better figure it out, fast.........someone mentioned several teams on the remaining schedule have strong running games.
That and if we have to face the 49ers again down the road. At least they did something bringing in Haskins, which they wouldn't of done in the past. In my opinion, the biggest issues lie within our DL, not our linebackers. Outside containment and Osa/Gallimore really struggling in that area.

cnuball21

Reaction score
All good points.

I’ve been screaming for them playing Parsons at LB and it just doesn’t look like it’s going to happen.

My concern is not only is it bad for the run defense, it might be bad for the kids career. He just isn’t built to be an every down DE.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Pollard and Turpin are a threat to take it to the house anytime the ball is in their hands. Get them the ball more...

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
With the bye week coming, this would be a perfect time to make a trade to get whatever player in here to learn the system(if they decide to make a trade).

jrumann59

Reaction score
Was it troublesome with the runs yesterday, yes. But the Bears were either going to win or lose with their running game, passing game is strictly a gimmick off their running game. Fields does have the tools but the Bears OC and HC do not trust him to use a full playbook with him. I think DQ actually expected them to play a more traditional type offense and had a gameplan based on a balanced playcalling. It is evident the Chicago FO is giving the coaching staff there a pass this year to more or less see what they have as a team, almost like a season long pre-season. How many teams do you know keep running the ball when down by 20 in the 4th.

pitt33

Reaction score
-Think many would of taken a 6-2 start prior to the season. Without Dak for 5 of those games, the Cowboys did an excellent job.

-Tyler Smith is done a solid job at LT, however, think he might be better suited inside at Guard. He is a people mover and athletic enough to hit moving targets, where he struggles is against quickness and speed. Have yet to see anyone get past his anchor. Really looks like a poor man's Larry Allen.

-Turpin like Pollard needs to be more apart of the team's passing game. Hit one big play and team's will need to respect it. It blows my mind how Moore fails to use these electric players.

-Think the offense needs 1 more receiving option. What drives me crazy about Lamb is not only his drops, but never fights for the football. This offense is missing that type of player.

-Lve isn't the reason why the run defense has struggled, like one poster believes. Watch the DT's get blow off the football and the RE's struggle with outside containment. Any LB who has to take on lineman will struggle. Add in the scheme also takes players out of position at times. It's a group effort why the run defense has struggled.

-I believe the Cowboys are waring out Parsons playing him exclusively at Defensive End. He isn't going to survive the season if he is a full time defensive lineman. Also, believe he is a liability at times against the run due to his agressiveness. Play him off ball in obvious run situations, keeps him more protected and our run defense improves as well as he can just run to the football.

-Saw a jumbo DT package yesterday with Bohanna, Hankins and Golston. All those inside runs disappeared. This might be part of the solution to fix their weakness.

-These defensive pre-snap penalties are killing this defense. Many times that stop teams and these penalties extend drives that lead to points.

-I would flip Pollard/Zeke, have Zeke be more change of pace guy and the closer.
Nice work here

I could drink beer(s) with you.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hankins will likely be a big part of what they do to fix the run defense. Im curious to see if he ends up getting Bohanna's 40% going forward
May need to play together some.
Dallas has leaned on a DE heavy DL but that has gotten them to this point of best pass rush with worst run defense.
Might be able to mix that up a bit more going forward with some run stuff heavy DL lineups as well.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Look at Parsons during and after the game, he looks completely beaten up. Quinn hasn't really moved him around much this yr, think they need to start playing him more off ball to keep him healthy. He will still have plenty of chances to rush the passer and also will help out our run defense.

I think our receivers are too finesse you going after the football. We are going to have to face teams like Philly who can cover tightly, need a receiver to win those matchups even being covered.
If I’m not mistaken Parsons has a groin issue, which may require an off-season to get right. Appears able to play through it but it’s still the elephant in the room.

In nearly 50 years of watching this game I’ve never once seen a player rush the passer, recover a fumble downfield, then run it the other way for six…on the same play. Point being it appears he can play through it, but it’s gotta be a concern and they are certainly going to need to manage his snaps, or at least keep a close eye.

I still disagree at WR, but not adamantly. If Lamb himself was better you’d be more comfortable, but dealing for say, Cedric Wilson won’t really change much on offense IMO. Lamb just needs to be a little better.

This isn’t my typical knock on the FO, but you just know they view Washington returning as the equivalent of trading for a WR. Most fans aren’t fine with that, I kinda am.

I think we are fine at WR and a big part of that is I know for damn near certain that any success for this team is coming via a strong ground game. I don’t want any more temptation or reason to throw more.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
-Tyler Smith is done a solid job at LT, however, think he might be better suited inside at Guard.

-Think the offense needs 1 more receiving option.

-I believe the Cowboys are waring out Parsons playing him exclusively at Defensive End.
Agree with all but there. Smith is the LOT for now and the future. I guess some for get he is a rookie who just got drafted 6 months ago.

More WR options? How many do they need? There already isn't enough balls to go around. You want Turpin more involved, but Washington will be back and Tolbert is waiting for more snaps.

Parsons will be fine the way he is being used now. Did you see him on the sidelines yesterday? He got many plays off and only came in on passing down in the 2nd half.

MS17

Reaction score
All good points.

I’ve been screaming for them playing Parsons at LB and it just doesn’t look like it’s going to happen.

My concern is not only is it bad for the run defense, it might be bad for the kids career. He just isn’t built to be an every down DE.
In agreement with this and Redyuta's earlier post also. Parsons may be burning the candle at both ends (DE,LB); no pun. Great bye week timing.
Team's playing at a level where an opportunity to advance in the tournament is there. and likely Cowboys would meet a few "old friends" late Jan. (SF, Vikes, Philadelphia) If this Quinn defense keeps improving, watch out.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
-Think many would of taken a 6-2 start prior to the season. Without Dak for 5 of those games, the Cowboys did an excellent job. ----absolutely!!

-Tyler Smith is done a solid job at LT, however, think he might be better suited inside at Guard. He is a people mover and athletic enough to hit moving targets, where he struggles is against quickness and speed. Have yet to see anyone get past his anchor. Really looks like a poor man's Larry Allen. --- I felt this way at draft time, in pre-season and even now. BUT it is really hard to find LT in this league and he is holding up as a rookie who will only get better. I will be very grateful if Tyron can come back and make it through the end of season and playoffs however with Tyler kicking inside to LG.

-Turpin like Pollard needs to be more apart of the team's passing game. Hit one big play and team's will need to respect it. It blows my mind how Moore fails to use these electric players. ---We all feel this way. Turpin is such a weapon. They have to find ways to get him the ball in space beyond absurd triple reverses.

-Think the offense needs 1 more receiving option. What drives me crazy about Lamb is not only his drops, but never fights for the football. This offense is missing that type of player. ---I would love another WR but they did really well with just CeeDee and Gallup last week. Schultz is just free money with Dak. Ferguson is growing into a weapon. But if you can get a guy like OBJ get them.

-Lve isn't the reason why the run defense has struggled, like one poster believes. Watch the DT's get blow off the football and the RE's struggle with outside containment. Any LB who has to take on lineman will struggle. Add in the scheme also takes players out of position at times. It's a group effort why the run defense has struggled. ---LVE has been really good at his price point. Very steady and much more athletic than he gets credit for. I'd extend him. Barr has struggled much more than LVE.

-I believe the Cowboys are waring out Parsons playing him exclusively at Defensive End. He isn't going to survive the season if he is a full time defensive lineman. Also, believe he is a liability at times against the run due to his agressiveness. Play him off ball in obvious run situations, keeps him more protected and our run defense improves as well as he can just run to the football. ---Parsons refuses to sit a week and he is too good to ignore but he is really in need of this BYE week.

-Saw a jumbo DT package yesterday with Bohanna, Hankins and Golston. All those inside runs disappeared. This might be part of the solution to fix their weakness. --Yup, gotta mix in more big boy football. Don't need 4 pass rushers every play. Even though that is fun on pass plays.

-These defensive pre-snap penalties are killing this defense. Many times that stop teams and these penalties extend drives that lead to points. ---Yup. again these guys trying to out kick each other to the QB and they need to play smart. You aren't beating Micah there anyway lol. I kid you not, Dante Fowler is Randy Gregpory part 2 for the good and the bad.

-I would flip Pollard/Zeke, have Zeke be more change of pace guy and the closer. ---Pollard getting 10-14 touches should be primary in offensive game plans but it doesn't mean you have to start him to do that. And it doesn't have to be by series stuff. Get the play packages in for him and let's roll.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Agree with all but there. Smith is the LOT for now and the future. I guess some for get he is a rookie who just got drafted 6 months ago.

More WR options? How many do they need? There already isn't enough balls to go around. You want Turpin more involved, but Washington will be back and Tolbert is waiting for more snaps.

Parsons will be fine the way he is being used now. Did you see him on the sidelines yesterday? He got many plays off and only came in on passing down in the 2nd half.
Washington has been a jag since he entered this league. Moore refuses to give Turpin an opportunity, he is just a jet sweep guy to him.