CFZ Couple of bye week thoughts

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Tyler is our heir apparent at LT.
We’ve been ignoring that role and prolonging Tyron for way too long. Far way more difficult finding your LT fixture than it is your LG.

LT is more demanding on an island than phone-booth area OG. Note that he does not struggle throughout a game at LT, it’s just maybe one play.
And he’s a rookie.

I’d much rather trust Tyler at starting LT come playoff time, than future HOF'er vet Tyron Smith - who struggled mightily in his return vs Niners playoff.
With what his fragile body is going thru.. combined with the very long layoff since camp.
Tyler himself has said that he is a natural LT than an interior OG.

_ Question is, do we re-sign McGovern as a starter ? Or continue to search for long term LG ?
Also has Tyler Biadasz answered long term questions as a permanent starting center ?
-Far point about keep Tyler at LT, we know he could play either, but the LT position is more important.
-Think both Biaz and McGovern have answered critics this season with their solid play. 1 could very well sign a long-term extension, where the other might serve as a bridge.

quickccc

Reaction score
-Far point about keep Tyler at LT, we know he could play either, but the LT position is more important.
-Think both Biaz and McGovern have answered critics this season with their solid play. 1 could very well sign a long-term extension, where the other might serve as a bridge.

- McGovern is still looks like just an average/decent starter at best.
And i'd still like an long term upgrade but just maybe he continues to improve even further by season's end.

But no question that McGovern has played much better than the slug he was starting at LG last year in 2021.
Remember the knock was he could only play RG, .and struggled at LG.
He still has pass block lapses on occasions, but we seemed getting much more out of him in productivity wise than what we did last year.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- McGovern is still looks like just an average/decent starter at best.
And i'd still like an long term upgrade but just maybe he continues to improve even further by season's end.

But no question that McGovern has played much better than the slug he was starting at LG last year in 2021.
Remember the knock was he could only play RG, .and struggled at LG.
He still has pass block lapses on occasions, but we seemed getting much more out of him in productivity wise than what we did last year.
-I think McGovern is more the bridge. Him taking reps at LG all camp long has helped his development playing on the left side. All and all has been serviceable.

quickccc

Reaction score
-I think McGovern is more the bridge. Him taking reps at LG all camp long has helped his development playing on the left side. All and all has been serviceable.

At camp, who else was an alternative at LG ? Farniok ? ... Issac ? .. Did Cowboys had any other choice ?

blueblood70

Reaction score
- We continue to still have dumb untimely penalties - such as Golston’s roughing passer, Fowler offsides & encroachments.

- If you think about the top Defensive MVP guys in NFL, they are get in the backfield guys- Watts, Donaldson, Miller, Garrett, …

- Parsons as More off-the- ball is what opposing teams would love to see.. That eases worrisome having to account for him every play, every down coming off the edge.
And it kills me with laughter to still see some here wanting him off the ball to “ spy” the Hurts and Fields of the world, instead of creating havoc in the backfield.

- LVE is not THE only reason for poor run defense,.. but he definitely contributes to it. He’s still one of the leading reasons and factors. He seems decent-serviceable in space and
coverage, but when he has to take on vs the run, ….
But we’re still getting wipe-washed away vs the run upfront in the DL. - And its certain guys that are Not achoring,.. and that does not help the LBs.
that was NOT roughing.. lmao dumb because the refs are blind and stupid, sure..

quickccc

Reaction score
With center Tyler Biadasz. I’d like to see someone’s All 22 sessions, with plus and minuses, but thus far I don't see the wild shotgun snaps, or the whiffed assignments
with him primed on helping out Zack instead of Conner.

- I’d like to see reliable sources on his allowed pressure ratio and pass and run block grades. I don’t see sacks and pressures based off from the center.
But Note how there’s been developing run lanes and openings between the tackles in the run game.
Much of Pollard’s bigger highlight splash runs or Zeke the up middle gut goal line power runs.

- Also speaking of blocking .. watch the TE blocks too. I dunno how much is Ferguson, Hendershot and McKeon, and how much is Schultz contributing vs blocking. Hes’ just now recovering so
who knows how much or less he’s been out or limited in snaps …in run game.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is the year his salary cap hit is zero if the Cowboys cut him.
no that after this year that for next season, hes fully guaranteed this seaosn, FULLY. So going forward IE new year starts ,march 2023 would be the time they will need to make a decision on zeke.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I see Damone Clark on the field more and more and Barr coming in off the bench to spell him .

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Look at Parsons during and after the game, he looks completely beaten up. Quinn hasn't really moved him around much this yr, think they need to start playing him more off ball to keep him healthy. He will still have plenty of chances to rush the passer and also will help out our run defense.

I think our receivers are too finesse you going after the football. We are going to have to face teams like Philly who can cover tightly, need a receiver to win those matchups even being covered.

Dak has been out, for the most part, so they have needed every bang they could get for their buck out of Parsons.

And he delivered.

Great timing for the bye week.

DQ knows what he's doing.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
-

-Turpin like Pollard needs to be more apart of the team's passing game. Hit one big play and team's will need to respect it. It blows my mind how Moore fails to use these electric players. ---We all feel this way. Turpin is such a weapon. They have to find ways to get him the ball in space beyond absurd triple reverses.

The thing with Pollard is you can see he can obviously be a great route runner, with the way he's able to cut. Being short and weighing 149 works to your advantage, because you don't have much weight and a low center of gravity. But that fact also works against you a game where the lightest defenders are around 190ish -200, at the lightest, up to 320 lbs.

They should use him, but he's not the kind of player who can play a full 17 games for 4 quarters. They may be waiting until the playoffs to utilize him more. But, then again, his weight is and always be part of the reason other WRs get more time, imo. I agree that he can be a threat, though. I'm not arguing against that.

Think the offense needs 1 more receiving option. What drives me crazy about Lamb is not only his drops, but never fights for the football. This offense is missing that type of player. ---I would love another WR but they did really well with just CeeDee and Gallup last week. Schultz is just free money with Dak. Ferguson is growing into a weapon. But if you can get a guy like OBJ get them.

I can see us going either way. Really, I'd be more interested in obtaining some offensive line depth and talent, if that was an option somehow.

-Lve isn't the reason why the run defense has struggled, like one poster believes. Watch the DT's get blow off the football and the RE's struggle with outside containment. Any LB who has to take on lineman will struggle. Add in the scheme also takes players out of position at times. It's a group effort why the run defense has struggled. ---LVE has been really good at his price point. Very steady and much more athletic than he gets credit for. I'd extend him. Barr has struggled much more than LVE.

LVE is playing well right now! And anyone who doesn't believe that has their heads up their wazoo.

-I believe the Cowboys are waring out Parsons playing him exclusively at Defensive End. He isn't going to survive the season if he is a full time defensive lineman. Also, believe he is a liability at times against the run due to his agressiveness. Play him off ball in obvious run situations, keeps him more protected and our run defense improves as well as he can just run to the football. ---Parsons refuses to sit a week and he is too good to ignore but he is really in need of this BYE week.

Parsons will be OK. He loves this stuff. I think we'll do exactly what you're suggesting we do in the 2nd half of the season. Then, when we get back to the playoffs, we'll have Parsons doing his thing up front, since we now have Damone Clark.

While everyone is talking about trading for a DT or WR, I'd say we could also improve at LB and OL, too.

-Saw a jumbo DT package yesterday with Bohanna, Hankins and Golston. All those inside runs disappeared. This might be part of the solution to fix their weakness. --Yup, gotta mix in more big boy football. Don't need 4 pass rushers every play. Even though that is fun on pass plays.

We can get better at stopping the run. I think what we saw in the first quarter was an indicator of that.

That said, part of the reason we allowed Chicago to run so much was because we were making scoring on them so easy . . . Easy like Sunday Morning easy.

So, DQ apparently made up his mind to defend the pass, and the Bears ran on us more than they should have. But with the offense scoring so quickly, our approach wasn't sustainable. And DQ, being as smart as he is, knew that, and adjusted accordingly.

They ran on us, but we were defending against the pass after we went up by 2 TDs.

-These defensive pre-snap penalties are killing this defense. Many times that stop teams and these penalties extend drives that lead to points. ---Yup. again these guys trying to out kick each other to the QB and they need to play smart. You aren't beating Micah there anyway lol. I kid you not, Dante Fowler is Randy Gregpory part 2 for the good and the bad.

Penalties all over need to decrease. Then again, we're the Cowboys and Jerry was a blind referee for Halloween.

-I would flip Pollard/Zeke, have Zeke be more change of pace guy and the closer. ---Pollard getting 10-14 touches should be primary in offensive game plans but it doesn't mean you have to start him to do that. And it doesn't have to be by series stuff. Get the play packages in for him and let's roll.

I was saying this in the offseason: that Zeke should spell Pollard.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hankins will likely be a big part of what they do to fix the run defense. Im curious to see if he ends up getting Bohanna's 40% going forward

Those two will be a good rotation for the nose. The guys that have been in before struggle to anchor against staple double teams and combos outside of Bohanna.

LysleE

Reaction score
Nice post.

I think Tyron goes back to LT…and have Tyler kick inside to LG; that would solidify our OL even more as I think the weak link thus far has been LG.

I think we are fine at WR so long as we are able to run the ball to maintain balance and have Dak run the ball a few times on some well-timed RPOs. When the LBs and secondary feel threatened by our run game, our WRs have room to operate and are able to get open.

I like Turpin’s speed, but all those speed guys seem to run the jet sweep and that’s about it. I would like to see them develop his route tree.

I think our struggles on defense with respect to running game is more schematic and some undisciplined play. Our DEs are playing pass first and lose outside containment; think they need to be more disciplined, especially when we are playing a QB who can beat us with their legs. How many times did we see DL lose contain allowing some long runs?

Agreed on the penalties…they are killers. We had two big penalties (dubious or not) that negated an INT and extended the drive the Bears eventually scored on prior to the end of the 1st half.

I think Pollard is a more dynamic RB; but also believe we still need a complementary RB to share the workload, keeping both RBs fresh…don’t know if that other RB is Zeke…but one important thing he still does really well is blitz pick-up…and we need to keep Dak healthy if we want to go deep into the post-season.