CFZ Couple of bye week thoughts

Praxit

Reaction score
They really have struggled defending the RPO and these mobile QB's, but they also do have issues consistently stopping the run. Think it's a mixture of scheme/execution and personnel
...most teams have problems with RPO's. Discipline needs complacement. Dallas needs works on that.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken Parsons has a groin issue, which may require an off-season to get right. Appears able to play through it but it’s still the elephant in the room.

In nearly 50 years of watching this game I’ve never once seen a player rush the passer, recover a fumble downfield, then run it the other way for six…on the same play. Point being it appears he can play through it, but it’s gotta be a concern and they are certainly going to need to manage his snaps, or at least keep a close eye.

I still disagree at WR, but not adamantly. If Lamb himself was better you’d be more comfortable, but dealing for say, Cedric Wilson won’t really change much on offense IMO. Lamb just needs to be a little better.

This isn’t my typical knock on the FO, but you just know they view Washington returning as the equivalent of trading for a WR. Most fans aren’t fine with that, I kinda am.

I think we are fine at WR and a big part of that is I know for damn near certain that any success for this team is coming via a strong ground game. I don’t want any more temptation or reason to throw more.
Agree to disagree about the receiving need. We know Parsons is special, but we cannot afford him getting hurt.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Agree to disagree about the receiving need. We know Parsons is special, but we cannot afford him getting hurt.
Not asking about any specific player, but what caliber of WR would you look to acquire and what would you be willing to part with draft pick wise?

Are we talking a starter type, or supplemental?

I can’t stand the dude, but I’d probably rather sign OBJ than trade a premium pick/s for a WR.

It’s a very moot discussion if we take into account what the team is likely to do (view Washington as a trade acquisition).

Apparently they’ve checked in on Mims, who I personally think is an excellent player in the wrong situation, and I wouldnt be upset if they sent as high as a 4th for him.

But if Jerry is inclined to move next years 1st to go “all in (which the kid said they would never do),” I’d rather it be for an impact DT.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Very good points. I think I would keep Tyler Smith at LT until Tyron gets back. Tyler is the future, gotta take our lumps now to get him ready. Our winning formula yesterday should work against most teams. Ball control offense, let the o line flow then explosive play happens. DLaw needs to be told to read before reacting especially against a mobile qb, he will still get sacks with the relentless pressure the rest if the d line gets. Agree with you on Parsons, He is a misfit going against 310lb OT. He wins some of the times, but his play drains him of energy which can lead to injury .
I agree 100% on Tyler. He's a rookie outplaying many other LT's. How much better is he than Steele was as a rookie? Flozell Adams and Larry Allen both started as guards and had great careers at OT. This guy is holding his own at LT....keep him there.

quickccc

Reaction score
-Think many would of taken a 6-2 start prior to the season. Without Dak for 5 of those games, the Cowboys did an excellent job.

-Tyler Smith is done a solid job at LT, however, think he might be better suited inside at Guard. He is a people mover and athletic enough to hit moving targets, where he struggles is against quickness and speed. Have yet to see anyone get past his anchor. Really looks like a poor man's Larry Allen.

-Turpin like Pollard needs to be more apart of the team's passing game. Hit one big play and team's will need to respect it. It blows my mind how Moore fails to use these electric players.

-Think the offense needs 1 more receiving option. What drives me crazy about Lamb is not only his drops, but never fights for the football. This offense is missing that type of player.

-Lve isn't the reason why the run defense has struggled, like one poster believes. Watch the DT's get blow off the football and the RE's struggle with outside containment. Any LB who has to take on lineman will struggle. Add in the scheme also takes players out of position at times. It's a group effort why the run defense has struggled.

-I believe the Cowboys are waring out Parsons playing him exclusively at Defensive End. He isn't going to survive the season if he is a full time defensive lineman. Also, believe he is a liability at times against the run due to his agressiveness. Play him off ball in obvious run situations, keeps him more protected and our run defense improves as well as he can just run to the football.

-Saw a jumbo DT package yesterday with Bohanna, Hankins and Golston. All those inside runs disappeared. This might be part of the solution to fix their weakness.

-These defensive pre-snap penalties are killing this defense. Many times that stop teams and these penalties extend drives that lead to points.

-I would flip Pollard/Zeke, have Zeke be more change of pace guy and the closer.

Thanks for sharing, ..

- Pollard over instead Zeke ?
Not me, I’d still keep Zeke to start games, I’d keep starting the game, by setting the tone with physicality, and keep spelling and bringing Pollard in as a change of pace type,
as I think it’s still very vital to avoid toll and wear on Pollard, and it doesn't have to include ball carries- even blitz-blocking takes a body wear & tear toll.

I’m wanting Pollard’s legs as fresh as possible. For the duration of the game, and for the long stretch run into the playoffs .
With Pollard it cannot be an obvious blitz block situations. Opponents read that, and blitz attack accordingly. And it works in their favor.
They play chess games with Kellen, ..and its’ checkmate.

But where I’d wish Kellen would still do is create more ways for Pollard in the pass game.
Although it’s not RB screens, ....we saw quick swing passes out to Pollard and Malik Davis that got the RBs involved in the pass game.

If you see RB screens of Niners per YouTube, and also how they are devising ways for McCaff in pass game, Kellen could take a couple of pages outta the Shanahan green book.

- Turpin – he’s our primary punt returner, and the guy is very diminutive at just 157 lbs, (if that) so there’s only gonna be a couple of plays that best suits him.
Jet-sweeps and reverses or designs where he can get free release on fly go routes.
I think because he adds so much value as a returner (and we won’t have a punt returner should we lose him), maybe another reason why he’s not used as such in pass game.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Not asking about any specific player, but what caliber of WR would you look to acquire and what would you be willing to part with draft pick wise?

I can’t stand the dude, but I’d probably rather sign OBJ than trade a premium pick/s for a WR.

It’s a very moot discussion if we take into account what the team is likely to do (view Washington as a trade acquisition).

Apparently they’ve checked in on Mims, who I personally think is an excellent player in the wrong situation, and I wouldnt be upset if they sent as high as a 4th for him.

But if Jerry is inclined to move next years 1st to go “all in (which the kid said they would never do),” I’d rather it be for an impact DT.
A player like Chase Claypool, I am a supporter of signing OBJ if he is healthy.

quickccc

Reaction score
-Think many would of taken a 6-2 start prior to the season. Without Dak for 5 of those games, the Cowboys did an excellent job.

-Tyler Smith is done a solid job at LT, however, think he might be better suited inside at Guard. He is a people mover and athletic enough to hit moving targets, where he struggles is against quickness and speed. Have yet to see anyone get past his anchor. Really looks like a poor man's Larry Allen.

Tyler is our heir apparent at LT.
We’ve been ignoring that role and prolonging Tyron for way too long. Far way more difficult finding your LT fixture than it is your LG.

LT is more demanding on an island than phone-booth area OG. Note that he does not struggle throughout a game at LT, it’s just maybe one play.
And he’s a rookie.

I’d much rather trust Tyler at starting LT come playoff time, than future HOF'er vet Tyron Smith - who struggled mightily in his return vs Niners playoff.
With what his fragile body is going thru.. combined with the very long layoff since camp.
Tyler himself has said that he is a natural LT than an interior OG.

_ Question is, do we re-sign McGovern as a starter ? Or continue to search for long term LG ?
Also has Tyler Biadasz answered long term questions as a permanent starting center ?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, ..

- Pollard over instead Zeke ?
Not me, I’d still keep Zeke to start games, I’d keep starting the game, by setting the tone with physicality, and keep spelling and bringing Pollard in as a change of pace type,
as I think it’s still very vital to avoid toll and wear on Pollard, and it doesn't have to include ball carries- even blitz-blocking takes a body wear & tear toll.

I’m wanting Pollard’s legs as fresh as possible. For the duration of the game, and for the long stretch run into the playoffs .
With Pollard it cannot be an obvious blitz block situations. Opponents read that, and blitz attack accordingly. And it works in their favor.
They play chess games with Kellen, ..and its’ checkmate.

But where I’d wish Kellen would still do is create more ways for Pollard in the pass game.
Although it’s not RB screens, ....we saw quick swing passes out to Pollard and Malik Davis that got the RBs involved in the pass game.

If you see RB screens of Niners per YouTube, and also how they are devising ways for McCaff in pass game, Kellen could take a couple of pages outta the Shanahan green book.

- Turpin – he’s our primary punt returner, and the guy is very diminutive at just 157 lbs, (if that) so there’s only gonna be a couple of plays that best suits him.
Jet-sweeps and reverses or designs where he can get free release on fly go routes.
I think because he adds so much value as a returner (and we won’t have a punt returner should we lose him), maybe another reason why he’s not used as such in pass game.
100% agree with most of that:popcorn::hammer:

quickccc

Reaction score

The Sims type guys are gonna be 3rd and 4th WRs types , the club are gonna want Lamb and Gallup to be the front runners.
Late round conditional considerations at the best ...and I'll leave it to Wil McClay..

OBJ has the talent to gamble taking him in on a one year rental deal, ..but will he be in full speed- full strength play mode ?
Still recovering from his SB ACL injury, and those could take time regaining previous form.

Bobby Belt talked of 1st rd pick for Carolina's DJ Moore, but i'm very reluctant to give up premium early round picks as such, when we've already invested in
Lamb and recently re-signed Gallup.

Washington ?.. James Washington..? ..What has done that makes him a tradeable asset ?

quickccc

Reaction score
-Lve isn't the reason why the run defense has struggled, like one poster believes. Watch the DT's get blow off the football and the RE's struggle with outside containment. Any LB who has to take on lineman will struggle. Add in the scheme also takes players out of position at times. It's a group effort why the run defense has struggled.

-I believe the Cowboys are waring out Parsons playing him exclusively at Defensive End. He isn't going to survive the season if he is a full time defensive lineman. Also, believe he is a liability at times against the run due to his agressiveness. Play him off ball in obvious run situations, keeps him more protected and our run defense improves as well as he can just run to the football.

-Saw a jumbo DT package yesterday with Bohanna, Hankins and Golston. All those inside runs disappeared. This might be part of the solution to fix their weakness.

-These defensive pre-snap penalties are killing this defense. Many times that stop teams and these penalties extend drives that lead to points.

- We continue to still have dumb untimely penalties - such as Golston’s roughing passer, Fowler offsides & encroachments.

- If you think about the top Defensive MVP guys in NFL, they are get in the backfield guys- Watts, Donaldson, Miller, Garrett, …

- Parsons as More off-the- ball is what opposing teams would love to see.. That eases worrisome having to account for him every play, every down coming off the edge.
And it kills me with laughter to still see some here wanting him off the ball to “ spy” the Hurts and Fields of the world, instead of creating havoc in the backfield.

- LVE is not THE only reason for poor run defense,.. but he definitely contributes to it. He’s still one of the leading reasons and factors. He seems decent-serviceable in space and
coverage, but when he has to take on vs the run, ….
But we’re still getting wipe-washed away vs the run upfront in the DL. - And its certain guys that are Not achoring,.. and that does not help the LBs.

75boyz

Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken Parsons has a groin issue, which may require an off-season to get right. Appears able to play through it but it’s still the elephant in the room.

In nearly 50 years of watching this game I’ve never once seen a player rush the passer, recover a fumble downfield, then run it the other way for six…on the same play. Point being it appears he can play through it, but it’s gotta be a concern and they are certainly going to need to manage his snaps, or at least keep a close eye.

I still disagree at WR, but not adamantly. If Lamb himself was better you’d be more comfortable, but dealing for say, Cedric Wilson won’t really change much on offense IMO. Lamb just needs to be a little better.

This isn’t my typical knock on the FO, but you just know they view Washington returning as the equivalent of trading for a WR. Most fans aren’t fine with that, I kinda am.

I think we are fine at WR and a big part of that is I know for damn near certain that any success for this team is coming via a strong ground game. I don’t want any more temptation or reason to throw more.

Yep, Absolutely agree with your steadfast commitment to a strong run game over additional receiving options.

To throw more is asking for failure and I agree Brown and/or Washington or both should be enough after Lamb-Gallup and the tight end group.

I'm okay there too.

Acceptablename

Reaction score

-Turpin like Pollard needs to be more apart of the team's passing game. Hit one big play and team's will need to respect it. It blows my mind how Moore fails to use these electric players.

-Think the offense needs 1 more receiving option. What drives me crazy about Lamb is not only his drops, but never fights for the football. This offense is missing that type of player.

-I would flip Pollard/Zeke, have Zeke be more change of pace guy and the closer.
Is it possible Gallup will get more catches as he gets back into rhythm. However if a burner is availed today why not

rambo2

Reaction score
It will be huge if they beat the Packers and the Vikings in back to back road game to go 8 and 2. If they can do that, I think there is an excellent chance that they go 11 and 2. They need to beat the Packers and Vikings to be in line to go deep in the playoffs.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The Sims type guys are gonna be 3rd and 4th WRs types , the club are gonna want Lamb and Gallup to be the front runners.
Late round conditional considerations at the best ...and I'll leave it to Wil McClay..

OBJ has the talent to gamble taking him in on a one year rental deal, ..but will he be in full speed- full strength play mode ?
Still recovering from his SB ACL injury, and those could take time regaining previous form.

Bobby Belt talked of 1st rd pick for Carolina's DJ Moore, but i'm very reluctant to give up premium early round picks as such, when we've already invested in
Lamb and recently re-signed Gallup.

Washington ?.. James Washington..? ..What has done that makes him a tradeable asset ?
Unless I’m misunderstanding, I didn’t suggest trading Washington. I suggested that the team may view his return as someone they acquire in a trade.

visionary

Reaction score
I agree with almost everything you said.
I think Smith is doing a great job at LT. Do I think he might be a legend at OG? Yes, but he's damn good at LT as well and that's a much more important position IMO.
Pollard is clearly the better runner at this point. He's dynamic with the ball in his hands and he absolutely deserves more touches. But he still isn't the complete back that Zeke is. This team would have major issues if he had to block on a consistent basis. Teach him that and I'm fine with him being the main RB.
I think Davis maybe Zeke's "all around RB" replacement next year. Dude's got some game to him.

Davis is not replacing Zeke in any sensible universe LOL

Zeke is under contract next year so he ain’t going

Pollard is a UFA so he will walk and we should not overpay for him like we overpaid Zeke

just draft another RB in rd 3/4 and move on

Rajveer

Reaction score

All I know is that the bye week came in a week early. I am leaving to go out of the country for vacation and now will miss 3 games instead of 2. Might have to teach my wife how to use the dvr if the game is playing on tv.

Motorola

Reaction score
I’d add a shout out to Malik Davis who I thought ran pretty well.
He also caught a couple of passes.
Even when Elliott returns to action, Davis should still get some snaps at RB. It would help keep the top two fresh for the 2nd half of the season/ playoffs - and help the coaching staff evaluate whether Davis should be one of the main guys at the position for 2023 and beyond.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- We continue to still have dumb untimely penalties - such as Golston’s roughing passer, Fowler offsides & encroachments.

- If you think about the top Defensive MVP guys in NFL, they are get in the backfield guys- Watts, Donaldson, Miller, Garrett, …

- Parsons as More off-the- ball is what opposing teams would love to see.. That eases worrisome having to account for him every play, every down coming off the edge.
And it kills me with laughter to still see some here wanting him off the ball to “ spy” the Hurts and Fields of the world, instead of creating havoc in the backfield.

- LVE is not THE only reason for poor run defense,.. but he definitely contributes to it. He’s still one of the leading reasons and factors. He seems decent-serviceable in space and
coverage, but when he has to take on vs the run, ….
But we’re still getting wipe-washed away vs the run upfront in the DL. - And its certain guys that are Not achoring,.. and that does not help the LBs.
-Have to clean up this drive extending penalties. Fowler seems like the biggest culprit.
-Don't want to use Parsons as a spy, but do want to see Quinn move him around more, so teams cannot devise a plan how to stop him.
-Lve has his struggles when blockers get to him, think better play up front, will allow him to play more run/hit. There aren't many linebackers this day and age who are effective in stacking/shedding.