CFZ Couple of post draft thoughts-we weren't physical enough

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This team has always been at it's best when they have had a strong ground attack. Remember, what people were saying early last season, pick your poison offense. Smith, Ferguson will help the run game, but they really need the OL to stay generally healthy to build chemistry. I sense if Tyron again misses extended time, he won't be back next season. There were whispers that the coaches saw Tyron's play start to decline.

I'm wondering if they try to trade Tyron next year in that case. Rather than outright release him, it may be good (and Jerry needs to be quiet leading up to it) to try to get an extra 2nd or 3rd. With us likely getting an extra 3rd as part of our comp pick package, we could try to maneuver our way to an extra 1st next year to get a top lineman depending on how this season shakes out.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
New flash: It's been 26 years of nothing. The doom and gloomers are right.

Also, I believe the Cowboys go 9-8 and lose the division and if they happen to make the playoffs they'll be an easy 1st round exit.

Whether it be NY, Philly, or Washington winning the division is up to them. The Cowboys won it last year and got worse, plus it's the NFC East we're talking about. We take turns winning this division.

While it's true that the teams take turns winning the division and such and the 26+ years is true, what makes you so sure we have gotten worse vs the rest of the division? Sure, the rest of the division had at least one more 1st round pick than us, but none of their picks have played an NFL game yet either. Frankly, I do wish we would do more in FA, but, I don't think we got worse, or, at the very least, worse to the point where we could be in more trouble within the NFC East. Imo, we still have the best QB in the division. We still have Micah Parsons, and a defence that I like the look of. Depending on how the plan for this season plays out, we could just as easily win this division again this year as bottle it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think Smith is a similar prospect to Collins at this same stage, but Collins lacked the desire to become great. He has been pretty much the same player since he was drafted. Time will tell if Smith can reach that high potential it's up to him to get there, along with the coaching staff.

Actually, I could see a bit of Ronald Leary but with better knees as well. We will see how it plays out, but I'm liking the way that the team seems to be trying to go back to the basics of a run first team. I just wish they'd get one FA to make that clearer. What's more, we may have a big need for RB next year. Zeke's guaranteed money ends after this season, and Pollard is a FA. I think, out of necessity, Zeke might stay one more year if we have more needs than RB to get early. That said, who knows? As for Pollard, I'd be surprised if we gave Pollard a second contract. Frankly, with how good this year's RB class was, I think it would've been wiser to try to trade Pollard for a mid-round pick and drafted a replacement. Then again, we will have comp picks this year, so it's probably a wash.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Tyler is so very raw. His lack of skill could hurt him if he has to kick out to tackle. If he absorbs coaching like a sponge he could improve quickly but I also have reservations about the idiot OL coach he's learning from. Hopefully we see some good stuff from all the young kids in camp and pre-season

My guess is that's why we drafted Waletzko. I think that, when Tyron has his 2-3 game hiatus, Waletzko will be the one filling in to allow Tyler the ability to keep developing at LG.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Actually, I could see a bit of Ronald Leary but with better knees as well. We will see how it plays out, but I'm liking the way that the team seems to be trying to go back to the basics of a run first team. I just wish they'd get one FA to make that clearer. What's more, we may have a big need for RB next year. Zeke's guaranteed money ends after this season, and Pollard is a FA. I think, out of necessity, Zeke might stay one more year if we have more needs than RB to get early. That said, who knows? As for Pollard, I'd be surprised if we gave Pollard a second contract. Frankly, with how good this year's RB class was, I think it would've been wiser to try to trade Pollard for a mid-round pick and drafted a replacement. Then again, we will have comp picks this year, so it's probably a wash.
Yes, we could see a big change in our running back room next season. I think if Zeke plays well, he may return on a pay decrease like DLaw. Not sure Pollard will ever be given the opportunity to be the guy here.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'm wondering if they try to trade Tyron next year in that case. Rather than outright release him, it may be good (and Jerry needs to be quiet leading up to it) to try to get an extra 2nd or 3rd. With us likely getting an extra 3rd as part of our comp pick package, we could try to maneuver our way to an extra 1st next year to get a top lineman depending on how this season shakes out.
The time to trade him is now, before teams see his decline. There were whispers that the coaches didn't liked what they saw against the 49ers in the playoffs. He was coming back from covid, but played very poorly.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My guess is that's why we drafted Waletzko. I think that, when Tyron has his 2-3 game hiatus, Waletzko will be the one filling in to allow Tyler the ability to keep developing at LG.
I can't remember who but it might have been bob hays who posted the early depth chart and W wasn't even listed. They had Ball at the backup LT and alercon backing up RT. Not that anything will shake out that way but that's what it is as of now. TC is going to get real interesting.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The time to trade him is now, before teams see his decline. There were whispers that the coaches didn't liked what they saw against the 49ers in the playoffs. He was coming back from covid, but played very poorly.

Tbh, in that case, the time to trade him likely would have been prior to this draft. Though this could still be a good time to do it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I can't remember who but it might have been bob hays who posted the early depth chart and W wasn't even listed. They had Ball at the backup LT and alercon backing up RT. Not that anything will shake out that way but that's what it is as of now. TC is going to get real interesting.

I could see that, especially as W is a late round pick. Still, I could see him edging out a spot. Either would likely make more sense at LT than Tyler ATM.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I could see that, especially as W is a late round pick. Still, I could see him edging out a spot. Either would likely make more sense at LT than Tyler ATM.

I worry mostly about what kind of coaching these guys will get. The only guy not taking a step back was steel. Anyone responsible for Martin going backwards even slightly has me concerned

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I worry mostly about what kind of coaching these guys will get. The only guy not taking a step back was steel. Anyone responsible for Martin going backwards even slightly has me concerned

Oh fur sure, and I think Philbin is on the hot seat.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
he should be. really he should be gone. but maybe they didn't like the potential replacements any better.

I could see that. Still, if they're trying to be more physical, which I am all for, then they should have coaches that are able to teach that philosophy. Philbin isn't doing a good job of that with the penalties.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The team hasn't been at its best for so long that what used to work is no longer relevant. What the Cowboys should be doing every off season is looking around the NFC and determining what they need to do to beat the better teams. That's what Jimmy Johnson did. He built a team to beat SF. Its just so happened that team was also good enough to beat anyone else. But, when you are mired in the middle or at the bottom, you have to adapt first and have a target.

Dallas is mostly oblivious to the rest of the league and continually tries to rebuild the 90's team.

quickccc

Reaction score
Last yr we heard a common theme after several losses late in the yr and even in the playoff loss, "we weren't physical enough". Their strong ground attack totally disappeared. There was an early stretch in which the Cowboys went on a 5 game winning streak, in which they dominated on the ground that led to their success. We can point to many things why it faltered, but they needed to get more physical up front.

Tyler Smith's calling card coming into this league is that he is a dominate run blocker. He is a people mover who will create space in the run game. Yes, he needs work as a pass protector, but he is an immediate upgrade to our run game. He is a similar player to Collins at this stage, but appears to have that want to be great.

We saw how Dalton Shultz really struggled inline as a blocker. Reportedly, he put on a few pounds of muscle this offseason to become better in this area. Jarwin was more of a hybrid big receiver who was a terrible blocker. Enter Jake Ferguson. He is similar to Dalton as a receiver, but a far better blocker at this stage. This will allow more double te sets and have Shultz play more off the line.

Defensively, we know Dan Quinn covets length, but he certainly is targeting elite speed. Parsons is a freak that runs 4.3 at the linebacker position, Sam Williams is a 4.4 player, Devin Harper, Bland were elite speed prospects.

- The Rams handed us our azzz in the playoffs by out-physical us,..
Ditto with the Niners in another playoff game., as they also out-physical us.
So when does it end ? .., and have we did enuff in this offseason personnel-wise where its finally changed ?

- I’m not understanding how do we know that TE Ferguson is a “ far better blocker than Schultz “, and he’s not even yet taken a single game snap at all in the NFL ?
Let’s not overreact and jump the start-gun so soon.

- We’ve been thru various DC’s , various schemes,.. various player personnel,… and yet we still get “ out-physical “ on defense no matter what.

- Many demand the fatties, the big biscuit 320+ pounders,.. so we’ve went with Dontario Poe and young Quinton Bohanna. Yet both very little to zero impact, effectiveness.
Despite the added girth and mass at 1 tech, we still do not change what the better run offenses want to do vs run.

- We’ve added a late rd, 5th rd rookie 1 tech in Ridgeway,. and we return the same DL unit that got steam rolled by Niners.
Sorry I’m not convinced with the 2021 upgrade, I don’t think we’ve did enuff for our run defense.

- If not handcuffed by Stephen-nomics, I’d prefer an proven established vet 1 tech, (ala Suh, Akiem Hicks, Danny Shelton, Brandon Williams)
even if its just a one year rental deal.
- .and an established top rated off ball LB with run-grades -ala Bobby Wagner.

- We cannot just lay it all in rookie’s hands, and NFL draft only, even a parson needs sidekicks and surrounding cast and help

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- The Rams handed us our azzz in the playoffs by out-physical us,..
Ditto with the Niners in another playoff game., as they also out-physical us.
So when does it end ? .., and have we did enuff in this offseason personnel-wise where its finally changed ?

- I’m not understanding how do we know that TE Ferguson is a “ far better blocker than Schultz “, and he’s not even yet taken a single game snap at all in the NFL ?
Let’s not overreact and jump the start-gun so soon.

- We’ve been thru various DC’s , various schemes,.. various player personnel,… and yet we still get “ out-physical “ on defense no matter what.

- Many demand the fatties, the big biscuit 320+ pounders,.. so we’ve went with Dontario Poe and young Quinton Bohanna. Yet both very little to zero impact, effectiveness.
Despite the added girth and mass at 1 tech, we still do not change what the better run offenses want to do vs run.

- We’ve added a late rd, 5th rd rookie 1 tech in Ridgeway,. and we return the same DL unit that got steam rolled by Niners.
Sorry I’m not convinced with the 2021 upgrade, I don’t think we’ve did enuff for our run defense.

- If not handcuffed by Stephen-nomics, I’d prefer an proven established vet 1 tech, (ala Suh, Akiem Hicks, Danny Shelton, Brandon Williams)
even if its just a one year rental deal.
- .and an established top rated off ball LB with run-grades -ala Bobby Wagner.

- We cannot just lay it all in rookie’s hands, and NFL draft only, even a parson needs sidekicks and surrounding cast and help

Our hope is that those 2nd yr defensive players take the next step in their development. Osa started strong, then faded, Golston missed entire camp. They also won't be learning a new scheme and know what is expected on them.