CFZ Couple of post draft thoughts-we weren't physical enough

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I apologized because I thought Dak was a top 5 quarterback :laugh: :facepalm:. He is not a top 5 quarterback , he is closer to 15 but Wentz is ranked probably late teens, early 20s, Jones is in the late 20s and Hurts is a running back. The Cowboys defense is legit. They have the two best defensive players in the division. That is enough to win the East in my opinion.

Your a good dude brother. I always enjoy your insight.:bow:
So, you're banking on the Cowboys just being the prettiest person in the ugly contest?

I can understand that, but I have a feeling the loses we took this offseason, especially on the offensive side of the ball, is much worse than some like to believe. Will it be enough to hold off improved divisional foes? We'll see, I know you think so, but I think you're smart enough to not put any money on it.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yes we are a reactive FO, but this team hasn’t been physical in years and it looks like they are making it a priority.

Seems like since the new regime has been in, call it Mike or Dan Quinn, there has been real focus in the offseason at attacking specific problems. Last offseason it was speed and athleticism as the 2020 defense was old and slow.

Just hope it’s not a cycle of chasing solutions to new problems and things can line up for a year or two.
Roster management is an ongoing thing, what is frustrating is, this front office just doesn't use fa what so ever, it gives the other teams an advantage.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Nothing against La’el but he also came in with a diva attitude and was not very good at guard. Saying that this was going be an all time great offensive line was very arrogant. La’el hurting his foot was a blessing in disguise for the 2016 season as Leary came back in. Tyler is bigger more athletic Ron Leary. He is big and mean.
Ferguson was my least favorite pick of the draft but the Wisconsin background should help him in the power running game.

This will be the best Cowboys defense since the 2009 season. The team is fast and talented at all three levels.
I think Smith is a similar prospect to Collins at this same stage, but Collins lacked the desire to become great. He has been pretty much the same player since he was drafted. Time will tell if Smith can reach that high potential it's up to him to get there, along with the coaching staff.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
So, you're banking on the Cowboys just being the prettiest person in the ugly contest?

I can understand that, but I have a feeling the loses we took this offseason, especially on the offensive side of the ball, is much worse than some like to believe. Will it be enough to hold off improved divisional foes? We'll see, I know you think so, but I think you're smart enough to not put any money on it.
I am betting on addition by subtraction. La’el was really bad last season on and off the field. He hurt us real bad by taking the 6 game suspension when it should have been two. The line played better when Steele was out there. Cooper has been declining since he signed that big contract. I think his injuries are catching up to him. Fish says that Cooper has rarely practiced the last two seasons. I also expect a big season from Lamb. I expect him to be a top 10 receiver. Gregory going to Denver was a blessing in disguise. He might have been the most overrated Cowboy in recent history. I am betting that the young guys from last year and this year will develop for a playoff run come November.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It's time......what's interesting is they are not done trying to rebuild this unit. When/if Tyler moves to LT, we'll again be looking for a LG.
Let's hope Smith solidifies one of the positions, doesn't matter too much which one. As I stated at the start of the offseason, this OL is in the rebuilding stage. 2 starters were let go and we have two other players who have a lot of tread on their tires. The same can be said about Zeke and the running back room, I'm expecting big changes in 2023.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think Smith is a similar prospect to Collins at this same stage, but Collins lacked the desire to become great. He has been pretty much the same player since he was drafted. Time will tell if Smith can reach that high potential it's up to him to get there, along with the coaching staff.
Great analysis of Collins career. I think he wanted tackle money so he never seemed to play guard real well. I get it because he was linked to his ex girlfriend’s death but I expected more. La’el killed us the last two seasons. He should be our best linemen right now.

75boyz

Reaction score
I apologized because I thought Dak was a top 5 quarterback :laugh: :facepalm:. He is not a top 5 quarterback , he is closer to 15 but Wentz is ranked probably late teens, early 20s, Jones is in the late 20s and Hurts is a running back. The Cowboys defense is legit. They have the two best defensive players in the division. That is enough to win the East in my opinion.

Your a good dude brother. I always enjoy your insight.:bow:

Classy post. Nice job.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Great analysis of Collins career. I think he wanted tackle money so he never seemed to play guard real well. I get it because he was linked to his ex girlfriend’s death but I expected more. La’el killed us the last two seasons. He should be our best linemen right now.
I think the staff had enough with him, reportedly came in after covid out of shape, missed the season, then suspended. When he returned he looked to be more of an average starter. I get the sense they value availability and continunitiy along their OL. I'm expecting Tyron to be the next veteran to go in 2023.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Connor did more bench reps at the combine than Tyler did at his pro day. For all the talk about Tyler being powerful, where's the proof?

Not all power comes from the arms.. Williams' problem was that his overall core was not strong enough to anchor against a big bull rusher which led to not only his being planted in Dak's lap too many times but also to his needing to hold on for dear life. When I was in my 30's and 40's I could do about 20 reps with 225.. Do you think that proved I was more powerful then all the kids who weren't able to do that many? Or was I just better at bench pressing 225? And before you ask.. no I do not try to do ANY reps with that much weight now.. Um too old .. and my shoulders have taken too much abuse over the years.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think the staff had enough with him, reportedly came in after covid out of shape, missed the season, then suspended. When he returned he looked to be more of an average starter. I get the sense they value availability and continunitiy along their OL. I'm expecting Tyron to be the next veteran to go in 2023.
Yeah. Unless Tyron plays like 14 games, this will be his last season.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Not all power comes from the arms.. Williams' problem was that his overall core was not strong enough to anchor against a big bull rusher which led to not only his being planted in Dak's lap too many times but also to his needing to hold on for dear life.

Kinda like this-

When I was in my 30's and 40's I could do about 20 reps with 225.. Do you think that proved I was more powerful then all the kids who weren't able to do that many? Or was I just better at bench pressing 225? And before you ask.. no I do not try to do ANY reps with that much weight now.. Um too old .. and my shoulders have taken too much abuse over the years.

Another issue is his height. Could be a problem inside. Those big guys can out leverage him. If he let's guys get into his chest, as he's wont to do, his legs and core won't matter much. Simple fact is he's very raw and we have no idea how he's going to play. I think the optimism is a little weird, considering what's on tape against tougher competition.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It appears the end is coming with all these tackles they have drafted over the last 2 years
I actually get the Cowboys plan and I don’t disagree. Threre rebuilding the offense on the fly and letting Quinn run the defense while keeping the salary cap under control. While being cost effective. They will pay their own if they perform.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Travis Jones was sitting there at 56 but they bypassed him

Yep, I had Cowboys drafting Tyler Smith, Travis Jones and Sam Williams in that order but needed a trade down to do so.

Cowboys literally had my mock falling to them exactly but they just do not value the D1 position.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Kinda like this-

Another issue is his height. Could be a problem inside. Those big guys can out leverage him. If he let's guys get into his chest, as he's wont to do, his legs and core won't matter much. Simple fact is he's very raw and we have no idea how he's going to play. I think the optimism is a little weird, considering what's on tape against tougher competition.

Come on man.. you can find tape of all these guys getting beat at times. Go watch what Sam Williams was able to do against some guys from other SEC schools who went early in the draft. We all acknowledge that Smith has work to do to be NFL ready and likely won't be by September. He's got a lot to learn.. But he already has some things going for him that can't be taught. Maybe he gets eaten alive a few games next year. Even if he does he still has 5 years to grow into what we think he can be. And his tools give him a higher ceiling than Connor Williams ever had. This one's on the coaches for sure though.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I find it hard to buy into the "get more physical" matra. Sure Tyler Smith makes us more physical than Connor Williams........what else did we do? Ferguson in the 4th and Ridgeway in the 5th really isn't a significant investment..... and how about free agency. If we were dead serious about getting more physical we would have signed a tone-setter in place of LVE to play LB and someone more physical than Watkins. I also don't think Biadasz as the presumed starter at OC fits the get more physical messaging.
You mean like Bobby Wagner?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Come on man.. you can find tape of all these guys getting beat at times. Go watch what Sam Williams was able to do against some guys from other SEC schools who went early in the draft. We all acknowledge that Smith has work to do to be NFL ready and likely won't be by September. He's got a lot to learn.. But he already has some things going for him that can't be taught. Maybe he gets eaten alive a few games next year. Even if he does he still has 5 years to grow into what we think he can be. And his tools give him a higher ceiling than Connor Williams ever had. This one's on the coaches for sure though.
The problem with that is you don’t draft people that need help in the first round. Jermaine Johnson was right there, Travis Jones was there in the second, Salyer was there in the 4th. Salyer is a beast in the run, he’s actually a left guard and needs coaching. The 4th round is where you take those risks. Not the first. I’d be a lot more comfortable with Johnson, Jones, Tolbert, Salyer. As I’m sure many would be

Haimerej

Reaction score

The startling thing about that clip is the guy who did it to him is less than 250 lbs.

But yeah, everyone gets beat at times. My main point here is everyone seems to just be assuming he'll be better inside and he's an immediate upgrade. Don't be surprised if there's some growing pains.