CFZ Couple of post draft thoughts-we weren't physical enough

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Last yr we heard a common theme after several losses late in the yr and even in the playoff loss, "we weren't physical enough". Their strong ground attack totally disappeared. There was an early stretch in which the Cowboys went on a 5 game winning streak, in which they dominated on the ground that led to their success. We can point to many things why it faltered, but they needed to get more physical up front.

Tyler Smith's calling card coming into this league is that he is a dominate run blocker. He is a people mover who will create space in the run game. Yes, he needs work as a pass protector, but he is an immediate upgrade to our run game. He is a similar player to Collins at this stage, but appears to have that want to be great.

We saw how Dalton Shultz really struggled inline as a blocker. Reportedly, he put on a few pounds of muscle this offseason to become better in this area. Jarwin was more of a hybrid big receiver who was a terrible blocker. Enter Jake Ferguson. He is similar to Dalton as a receiver, but a far better blocker at this stage. This will allow more double te sets and have Shultz play more off the line.

Defensively, we know Dan Quinn covets length, but he certainly is targeting elite speed. Parsons is a freak that runs 4.3 at the linebacker position, Sam Williams is a 4.4 player, Devin Harper, Bland were elite speed prospects.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Last yr we heard a common theme after several losses late in the yr and even in the playoff loss, "we weren't physical enough". Their strong ground attack totally disappeared. There was an early stretch in which the Cowboys went on a 5 game winning streak, in which they dominated on the ground that led to their success. We can point to many things why it faltered, but they needed to get more physical up front.

Tyler Smith's calling card coming into this league is that he is a dominate run blocker. He is a people mover who will create space in the run game. Yes, he needs work as a pass protector, but he is an immediate upgrade to our run game. He is a similar player to Collins at this stage, but appears to have that want to be great.

We saw how Dalton Shultz really struggled inline as a blocker. Reportedly, he put on a few pounds of muscle this offseason to become better in this area. Jarwin was more of a hybrid big receiver who was a terrible blocker. Enter Jake Ferguson. He is similar to Dalton as a receiver, but a far better blocker at this stage. This will allow more double te sets and have Shultz play more of the line.

Defensively, we know Dan Quinn covets length, but he certainly is targeting elite speed. Parsons is a freak that runs 4.3 at the linebacker position, Sam Williams is a 4.4 player, Devin Harper, Bland were elite speed prospects.
We do not know if Tyler Smith is an upgrade or not until he shows it on the field against NFL competition week in and week out.

Saying any of these draft picks, without seeing them against NFL level competition yet, is an "upgrade" is foolish and wishful thinking.

DanA

Reaction score
I find it hard to buy into the "get more physical" matra. Sure Tyler Smith makes us more physical than Connor Williams........what else did we do? Ferguson in the 4th and Ridgeway in the 5th really isn't a significant investment..... and how about free agency. If we were dead serious about getting more physical we would have signed a tone-setter in place of LVE to play LB and someone more physical than Watkins. I also don't think Biadasz as the presumed starter at OC fits the get more physical messaging.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We saw how Dalton Shultz really struggled inline as a blocker. Reportedly, he put on a few pounds of muscle this offseason to become better in this area. Jarwin was more of a hybrid big receiver who was a terrible blocker. Enter Jake Ferguson. He is similar to Dalton as a receiver, but a far better blocker at this stage. This will allow more double te sets and have Shultz play more of the line.

Just review Tyler Smith and Waldo back to back and it is obvious the type of player the Cowboys wanted.
- Very physical and very aggressive but also uber athletic.

The TE is a 'gritty' player. He will sell out as a blocker, doing whatever it takes to get the defender blocked.
- He will fight for yards are the catch.

- On defense, watching some of UDFA pass rushers, my first thought was that they looked as if they were trying to exactly emulate Sam Williams style.
- SW ran a 4.46 but his style is not 'speed rusher', his style is more power/leverage then speed when needed.
- Basically the DLaw style but with 4.46 speed instead of DLaw's 4.8 speed.
- DLaw has to play that style but SW had to have been coached to play it because most passer rushers with his speed are finesse players like Robert Quinn.
- The only reason the draft media questioned his run defense is because he played a 4i technique on run downs.
- That technique is normally played by 300 pound DT types like Brent Urban.

The 5th round CB plays with his hair on fire and loves to hit. He was actually too physical in college.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I see the Cowboys trying to get more physical, especially noticeable on the defensive side. Williams, Clark, Ridgeway, Bland and even UDFA with Bell, Jackson, Hansford, Carter....to go with those already on the defense like Parsons, Kearse, Diggs, Osa, and it will be interesting to see how they play as a team. I don't mind physical and aggressiveness, but also need to play smart. And stop the freaking run.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i'll claim ignorance on our new cb from fresno state...don't know much about him and didn't watch the bulldogs play at all.
love his size tho.
as for the others,there def seemed to be a focus on physicality in terms of style of play.
tyler smith,sam williams,jalen tolbert,jake ferguson,waletzko,ridgeway,ok st Lb all have a physicality to their game.
i'll add f/a wr james washington as well.
all physical players.
hope the trend continues.
we got pushed around some...now its our turn to start pushing back.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We do not know if Tyler Smith is an upgrade or not until he shows it on the field against NFL competition week in and week out.

Saying any of these draft picks, without seeing them against NFL level competition yet, is an "upgrade" is foolish and wishful thinking.
Smith is a legitimate power player, where Connor Williams was more of an athletic one. Yes, we don't know if he is an upgrade until we see it, but based on both players at the same stage, Smith appears to be the far better run blocker.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I find it hard to buy into the "get more physical" matra. Sure Tyler Smith makes us more physical than Connor Williams........what else did we do? Ferguson in the 4th and Ridgeway in the 5th really isn't a significant investment..... and how about free agency. If we were dead serious about getting more physical we would have signed a tone-setter in place of LVE to play LB and someone more physical than Watkins. I also don't think Biadasz as the presumed starter at OC fits the get more physical messaging.
Biadasz could be on the hot seat. He is going to have to earn his job this year, where last yr he had zero competition. Having him play next to 2 power guards will only help whomever starts at Center.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I see the Cowboys trying to get more physical, especially noticeable on the defensive side. Williams, Clark, Ridgeway, Bland and even UDFA with Bell, Jackson, Hansford, Carter....to go with those already on the defense like Parsons, Kearse, Diggs, Osa, and it will be interesting to see how they play as a team. I don't mind physical and aggressiveness, but also need to play smart. And stop the freaking run.
To me, the #1 priority was to fix the ground attack, the next was become more consistent stopping the run.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Just review Tyler Smith and Waldo back to back and it is obvious the type of player the Cowboys wanted.
- Very physical and very aggressive but also uber athletic.

The TE is a 'gritty' player. He will sell out as a blocker, doing whatever it takes to get the defender blocked.
- He will fight for yards are the catch.

- On defense, watching some of UDFA pass rushers, my first thought was that they looked as if they were trying to exactly emulate Sam Williams style.
- SW ran a 4.46 but his style is not 'speed rusher', his style is more power/leverage then speed when needed.
- Basically the DLaw style but with 4.46 speed instead of DLaw's 4.8 speed.
- DLaw has to play that style but SW had to have been coached to play it because most passer rushers with his speed are finesse players like Robert Quinn.
- The only reason the draft media questioned his run defense is because he played a 4i technique on run downs.
- That technique is normally played by 300 pound DT types like Brent Urban.

The 5th round CB plays with his hair on fire and loves to hit. He was actually too physical in college.
I read recently that DLaw was the top rated interior rusher down the stretch. This suggest we are going to see him kick inside on the nickel and have a shorter distance to get to the QB. The Parsons/Sam Williams of the world have that elite speed off the edge and have that burst to close distance very quickly.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Smith is a legitimate power player, where Connor Williams was more of an athletic one. Yes, we don't know if he is an upgrade until we see it, but based on both players at the same stage, Smith appears to be the far better run blocker.
I mean, Connor Williams might look good if he was going up against Old Dominion and Temple also.

Let's wait and see how Smith looks against NFL competition each week before we crown him. I hope he pans out, because we desperately need him too, but let's just wait and see him in action before we label him "better" at anything. Because he could just as easily be worse or the same. We just don't know yet.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

It's called projecting. Scouts and pundits make a living off of projecting how a player will perform at the NFL level. Their projection of a player makes a big difference in what round that player gets picked it. It's mostly done from guess work and wishful thinking, just like you said. So if a scout can project a guy as a first round draft pick without getting ridiculed. Then surely a fan can project a guy as an upgrade without being ridiculed. What's the difference? What makes one man's guess work acceptable and another man's guess work ridiculous?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I mean, Connor Williams might look good if he was going up against Old Dominion and Temple also.

Let's wait and see how Smith looks against NFL competition each week before we crown him. I hope he pans out, because we desperately need him too, but let's just wait and see him in action before we label him "better" at anything. Because he could just as easily be worse or the same. We just don't know yet.

This insistence on "waiting and seeing" is interesting coming from people who can't wait to declare a player is or isn't this or that. I aint namin no names though. The fact of the matter is Smith is a guy who at age 20 had to diet and train like a sumb1tch to get DOWN to a playing weight of 325 while Williams was a guy who at age 25 needed rocks in his pocket to get UP to 305. Smith is already a bigger, and more powerful man who is also a pretty good athlete at his size. He is ready made to maul fools .. Williams was is and always will be a finesse player.. This kid is a power player. Both can be effective.. but power is what the Cowboys were lacking.. so IMHO this is an upgrade.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s pretty obvious we weren’t physical enough. Physicality has been an issue with the Cowboys for years. In the crunch games we get dominated in the trenches. We’re soft!

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
It's called projecting. Scouts and pundits make a living off of projecting how a player will perform at the NFL level. Their projection of a player makes a big difference in what round that player gets picked it. It's mostly done from guess work and wishful thinking, just like you said. So if a scout can project a guy as a first round draft pick without getting ridiculed. Then surely a fan can project a guy as an upgrade without being ridiculed. What's the difference? What makes one man's guess work acceptable and another man's guess work ridiculous?
I don't know? When I say I don't trust an organization that's failed for 26 straight years I'm called an Eagles fan.

At least saying "let's wait and see" before crowning guys is based in reality. The scouts are wrong a lot. It's why we drafted Taco over Watt.

I believe waiting and seeing how these kids turn out is the smart thing to do. The truth is Smith is rookie that has never played an NFL snap. Let's not make them more than they are just because they have a star on their helmet.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
This insistence on "waiting and seeing" is interesting coming from people who can't wait to declare a player is or isn't this or that. I aint namin no names though. The fact of the matter is Smith is a guy who at age 20 had to diet and train like a sumb1tch to get DOWN to a playing weight of 325 while Williams was a guy who at age 25 needed rocks in his pocket to get UP to 305. Smith is already a bigger, and more powerful man who is also a pretty good athlete at his size. He is ready made to maul fools .. Williams was is and always will be a finesse player.. This kid is a power player. Both can be effective.. but power is what the Cowboys were lacking.. so IMHO this is an upgrade.
Yeah, I'll wait and see.

I know he has a star on his helmet and all, but I still need to see him against NFL competition week in and week out before I share your enthusiasm.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I don't know? When I say I don't trust an organization that's failed for 26 straight years I'm called an Eagles fan.

At least saying "let's wait and see" before crowning guys is based in reality. The scouts are wrong a lot. It's why we drafted Taco over Watt.

I believe waiting and seeing how these kids turn out is the smart thing to do. The truth is Smith is rookie that has never played an NFL snap. Let's not make them more than they are just because they have a star on their helmet.
You're on here everyday. Whoever's calling you an Eagles fan is probably an Eagles fan.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Fair enough.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

We saw how Dalton Shultz really struggled inline as a blocker. Reportedly, he put on a few pounds of muscle this offseason to become better in this area. Jarwin was more of a hybrid big receiver who was a terrible blocker. Enter Jake Ferguson. He is similar to Dalton as a receiver, but a far better blocker at this stage. This will allow more double te sets and have Shultz play more off the line.

Maybe its just me, but I honestly believe the offseason offensive plan is to get this team's running game back to the top 5-10. Look no further than 2014 and 2016, when we led the league in rushing. Made Romo and Dak's jobs a lot easier......