CFZ Couple of post draft thoughts-we weren't physical enough

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Do you feel the same way about the Eagles draft picks?
I don't care about the Eagles draft picks, but this should be the thought behind every draft pick for every team.

What is it with you guys and your obsession with the Eagles? We play the Giants and Commanders twice a year also. Do the Eagles have you worried?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I don't care about the Eagles draft picks, but this should be the thought behind every draft pick for every team.

What is it with you guys and your obsession with the Eagles? We play the Giants and Commanders twice a year also. Do the Eagles have you worried?
You seem to be a Cowboys gloom and doomer so I am assuming you think the Eagles will win the East.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You seem to be a Cowboys gloom and doomer so I am assuming you think the Eagles will win the East.
New flash: It's been 26 years of nothing. The doom and gloomers are right.

Also, I believe the Cowboys go 9-8 and lose the division and if they happen to make the playoffs they'll be an easy 1st round exit.

Whether it be NY, Philly, or Washington winning the division is up to them. The Cowboys won it last year and got worse, plus it's the NFC East we're talking about. We take turns winning this division.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Physical is mental thing. The Niners pushed their chest out against the Rams twice and against the Cowboys in the playoffs and both teams failed to respond accordingly. That was the Niners edge, they didn't think any team could out physical them.

Y'all remember Ron Leary? Not a star or and pber but he was the physical part of that OL and they fed off him.

The D back when Roy OU Williams was roaming the secondary was completely responsive to one of his patented blow up hits, it just raised everyone's game including Woddy, who caught some flags.

On the OL, physical might be Tyler Smith's calling card and his ticket into the OL club as a rookie. Martin is a physical blocker but he is not impact at the point like Smith is. LA used to have that effect on the OL when he'd used his punch block and send a 300lb man flying backwards.

The D needs that guy to be the impact physical presence. That was my only complaint about Ware, he was not impact at the point and let the QB down softly. Maybe Williams can be that guy because he sure likes to hit.

817Gill

Reaction score
Last yr we heard a common theme after several losses late in the yr and even in the playoff loss, "we weren't physical enough". Their strong ground attack totally disappeared. There was an early stretch in which the Cowboys went on a 5 game winning streak, in which they dominated on the ground that led to their success. We can point to many things why it faltered, but they needed to get more physical up front.

Tyler Smith's calling card coming into this league is that he is a dominate run blocker. He is a people mover who will create space in the run game. Yes, he needs work as a pass protector, but he is an immediate upgrade to our run game. He is a similar player to Collins at this stage, but appears to have that want to be great.

We saw how Dalton Shultz really struggled inline as a blocker. Reportedly, he put on a few pounds of muscle this offseason to become better in this area. Jarwin was more of a hybrid big receiver who was a terrible blocker. Enter Jake Ferguson. He is similar to Dalton as a receiver, but a far better blocker at this stage. This will allow more double te sets and have Shultz play more off the line.

Defensively, we know Dan Quinn covets length, but he certainly is targeting elite speed. Parsons is a freak that runs 4.3 at the linebacker position, Sam Williams is a 4.4 player, Devin Harper, Bland were elite speed prospects.
Yes we are a reactive FO, but this team hasn’t been physical in years and it looks like they are making it a priority.

Seems like since the new regime has been in, call it Mike or Dan Quinn, there has been real focus in the offseason at attacking specific problems. Last offseason it was speed and athleticism as the 2020 defense was old and slow.

Just hope it’s not a cycle of chasing solutions to new problems and things can line up for a year or two.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
New flash: It's been 26 years of nothing. The doom and gloomers are right.

Also, I believe the Cowboys go 9-8 and lose the division and if they happen to make the playoffs they'll be an easy 1st round exit.

Whether it be NY, Philly, or Washington winning the division is up to them. The Cowboys won it last year and got worse, plus it's the NFC East we're talking about. We take turns winning this division.
So you think the Cowboys will lose a division they finished undefeated in and won games by an average of 20 points. You think they finish 9-8 and some how Washington, Philadelphia or the Giants will win 10 games with their quarterbacks. Ok.:huh::facepalm:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
So you think the Cowboys will lose a division they finished undefeated in and won games by an average of 20 points. You think they finish 9-8 and some how Washington, Philadelphia or the Giants will win 10 games with their quarterbacks. Ok.:huh::facepalm:
The Eagles won 9 games last year, made the playoffs, and got better this offseason with the addition of a stud WR.

Do you not think they could win 1 more game than last year?

You apologized to me and others after you saw how right we were about this team last year. Why doubt us again? We clearly know what we're talking about it. It won't make you any less of a fan if you chose to think with your brain instead of your heart, ya know?

Haimerej

Reaction score
Yes, there is no tape out there against Ohio St, Ok. St., Cincy, or the Senior Bowl.

He wasn't a senior, hence no senior bowl.

And if you think his tape against those schools was good then your advocacy for Dak makes more sense.

Ken

Reaction score
Why would anyone have a parade for a guy that hasn't played a snap in the NFL?

If you're having a parade for that then it needs rained on and you need a reality check.
Some of us are able to tell when a player is going to be a good nfl player.

Like Williams is going to be a stud in the NFL, I can say that confidently. Can't say that about Smith because of so many variables, but he has a chance.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I think the belief with Smith is that he's young and has all the physical tools to play in the NFL, and though he has some horrible habits to overcome he also has the tenacity, work ethic and desire to be great. I think his size, athleticism and motor make him an immediate upgrade, especially at guard, especially in the running game. The bar is low and the guy has it all going for him to get better and better at everything.

All draft picks are unknowns, from First Overall to Mr. Irrelevant, and speculating about how good rookies will be is as natural a fan pass-time as bashing the team for its playoff incompetence. Everyone has opinions and none of them are wrong--until they are. Either Smith is gonna play like a first-rounder or he's not. Either the team is gonna be better or it's not. In both cases I choose to hope for the best and believe it can happen. Not everybody does, and that's cool too.

We're all on the same side, here, I think. The amount of animosity on this board never ceases to amaze me.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Some of us are able to tell when a player is going to be a good nfl player.

Like Williams is going to be a stud in the NFL, I can say that confidently. Can't say that about Smith because of so many variables, but he has a chance.
What are you doing on this message board then?

Why hasn't some team snatched you up to make their draft picks for em? You're letting your knowledge go to waste, bro.

Ken

Reaction score
He wasn't a senior, hence no senior bowl.

And if you think his tape against those schools was good then your advocacy for Dak makes more sense.
Good point.

Ok Haimerej, I think his tape was good enough for a guy relatively short on experience and playing against an uptick in competition.

I struggle with him moving to Guard because of his penalties, lack of comp, and never having seen him play it. It SHOULD translate but I need to see it.

Keep in mind I was the one on this board that said Dak would be the best qb in that class BEFORE we took him. So ya, I know what I am talking about.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Good point.

Ok Haimerej, I think his tape was good enough for a guy relatively short on experience and playing against an uptick in competition.

I struggle with him moving to Guard because of his penalties, lack of comp, and never having seen him play it. It SHOULD translate but I need to see it.

Keep in mind I was the one on this board that said Dak would be the best qb in that class BEFORE we took him. So ya, I know what I am talking about.

That seems reasonable. About the same thing mountaineer said. Not sure why you brought up those schools if you saw him struggle in those games and you seem to agree with the point.

We're not going to know until the games are played, but it feels like everyone is just taking it for granted that this guy will move inside and be better. As often as his hands go wide, being inside could present a problem if he's trying to catch these NFL DTs. Plus his height can work against him in getting leverage. IMO, there are plenty of reasons to be skeptical about how he performs this year.

Ken

Reaction score
What are you doing on this message board then?

Why hasn't some team snatched you up to make their draft picks for em? You're letting your knowledge go to waste, bro.
I agree....i have a knack for it.

Never pursued it. If i went down the list of calls I made, people would sign up for a service lol

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The Eagles won 9 games last year, made the playoffs, and got better this offseason with the addition of a stud WR.

Do you not think they could win 1 more game than last year?

You apologized to me and others after you saw how right we were about this team last year. Why doubt us again? We clearly know what we're talking about it. It won't make you any less of a fan if you chose to think with your brain instead of your heart, ya know?
I apologized because I thought Dak was a top 5 quarterback :laugh: :facepalm:. He is not a top 5 quarterback , he is closer to 15 but Wentz is ranked probably late teens, early 20s, Jones is in the late 20s and Hurts is a running back. The Cowboys defense is legit. They have the two best defensive players in the division. That is enough to win the East in my opinion.

Your a good dude brother. I always enjoy your insight.:bow:

Ken

Reaction score
That seems reasonable. About the same thing mountaineer said. Not sure why you brought up those schools if you saw him struggle in those games and you seem to agree with the point.

We're not going to know until the games are played, but it feels like everyone is just taking it for granted that this guy will move inside and be better. As often as his hands go wide, being inside could present a problem if he's trying to catch these NFL DTs. Plus his height can work against him in getting leverage. IMO, there are plenty of reasons to be skeptical about how he performs this year.
I don't think he struggled.

I think there was some plays that were not great and it was all technique. I didn't see him get overpowered or beat on ability. He let people into his body and also did his patented "hug" blocks.

If he doesn't fix that, he will be a nightmare for us on the next level. If he fixes it, look out.

817Gill

Reaction score
I think the belief with Smith is that he's young and has all the physical tools to play in the NFL, and though he has some horrible habits to overcome he also has the tenacity, work ethic and desire to be great. I think his size, athleticism and motor make him an immediate upgrade, especially at guard, especially in the running game. The bar is low and the guy has it all going for him to get better and better at everything.

All draft picks are unknowns, from First Overall to Mr. Irrelevant, and speculating about how good rookies will be is as natural a fan pass-time as bashing the team for its playoff incompetence. Everyone has opinions and none of them are wrong--until they are. Either Smith is gonna play like a first-rounder or he's not. Either the team is gonna be better or it's not. In both cases I choose to hope for the best and believe it can happen. Not everybody does, and that's cool too.

We're all on the same side, here, I think. The amount of animosity on this board never ceases to amaze me.
Great post

Haimerej

Reaction score
I don't think he struggled.

I think there was some plays that were not great and it was all technique. I didn't see him get overpowered or beat on ability. He let people into his body and also did his patented "hug" blocks.

If he doesn't fix that, he will be a nightmare for us on the next level. If he fixes it, look out.

Seven holding penalties in 3 games is a struggle, in my book. There were plenty of non-call holds he got away with in those games as well.

Other than that I agree. His hugging and letting guys into his chest will be the biggest problem to overcome. Hopefully that's fixable.