CFZ Couple of quick thoughts the day after last night's close loss!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
-Eagles have an elite pass rush, led the league in sacks last season and are top 5 this year. Steele was awful, MM should of given him more help, but there is no reason to panic either.

-If you are going to beat a real good team in their building, you cannot make so many mental mistakes: Gallup drop before half could of lead to a TD lead, Schoon not catching the ball in the end zone, Dak stepping out on the 2 point conversion, Audrey with the out of bounds kickoff, Schoon's holding after a long run, etc. Defense had so many penalties that extended drives.

-Sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way, 3 fumbles and the Eagles recovered all of them.

-Cowboy offense is starting to mirror last year's group, which isn't a good thing. It's all about Lamb and the TE. The likes of Cooks, Gallup, Tolbert have to step up their games. Run game still remains a big issue, they had great success on 1 drive that was killed by a penalty.

-Once again they gave up a TD in the red zone when the corner was trailing. This has happened multiple times.

-Lewis and the safeties are the weak links of this defense. Granted Quinn plays a ton of man coverage, but they really struggled.

-Eagles have been a real good team in the close football games, as we have seen, that can flip the other way.

As I said prior to the game, this wasn't a must win game, still a ton of football left, anything can happen. Going into the season, many thought we would split with the Eagles.

75boyz

Reaction score
Harder for me to get over how the events played out after the 1st and 5 at the 6 with 27 secs left.

Just more of the most bizarre type losing history added to this team's long resume of futility.

Oh, it's prolly just me.
No worries.

Cowboys!

Maverick84

Reaction score
Harder for me to get over how the events played out after the 1st and 5 at the 6 with 27 secs left.

Just more of the most bizarre type losing history added to this team's long resume of futility.

Oh, it's prolly just me.
No worries.

Cowboys!
it's not just you

we tend to bear witness to those bizarre "only the Cowboys" types of endings way too often, and now for way too long

sick of it personally

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
-Eagles have an elite pass rush, led the league in sacks last season and are top 5 this year. Steele was awful, MM should of given him more help, but there is no reason to panic either.

-If you are going to beat a real good team in their building, you cannot make so many mental mistakes: Gallup drop before half could of lead to a TD lead, Schoon not catching the ball in the end zone, Dak stepping out on the 2 point conversion, Audrey with the out of bounds kickoff, Schoon's holding after a long run, etc. Defense had so many penalties that extended drives.

-Sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way, 3 fumbles and the Eagles recovered all of them.

-Cowboy offense is starting to mirror last year's group, which isn't a good thing. It's all about Lamb and the TE. The likes of Cooks, Gallup, Tolbert have to step up their games. Run game still remains a big issue, they had great success on 1 drive that was killed by a penalty.

-Once again they gave up a TD in the red zone when the corner was trailing. This has happened multiple times.

-Lewis and the safeties are the weak links of this defense. Granted Quinn plays a ton of man coverage, but they really struggled.

-Eagles have been a real good team in the close football games, as we have seen, that can flip the other way.

As I said prior to the game, this wasn't a must win game, still a ton of football left, anything can happen. Going into the season, many thought we would split with the Eagles.
What's crazy is with all that you had the ball 1st and goal with 20 seconds. 3-4 cracks at it and you end the game right there with Philly having no time. Then it all crumbled. SMH

Agree completely with your point on Lewis and the safeties. I believe there are playable options on the bench.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I'm encouraged.
All the events you mentioned had to happen for the Eagles pull out that win. Dallas can compete with them, and this team just has to keep getting better and peak in December n January.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Certain things were encouraging, and I thought Dallas was the better team yesterday, but they didn’t get the breaks on the close stuff. Being good isn’t enough, gotta be lucky too.

This IS a good team, is likely to get better, and will probably win exactly 12 games again, but that means the five or six seed because they didn’t win the division.

I always have hope, but I really do have a tough time believing they can win three straight road playoff games just to get into the SB after playing a December full of five likely playoff teams.

I feel as if this team is actually better than those of the recent past, but can’t overcome the current playoff system.

Again, gotta be lucky too and you’re all familiar with how that goes around here.

rambo2

Reaction score

You left out the good stuff.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Mukuamu n Thomas should be playing in a rotation, at minimum, to get them experience and force the older veterans to step up and play better by having that competition.
Agree....I thought those 2 were playing good, then when Wilson and Lewis came back our defense didnt seem as dominant.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Eagles suck, they were given that game by the football gods. They were zebras close.

rambo2

Reaction score
You're 100% correct……..should have included the “Moral Victory” part of it
The season has a long way to go and the Cowboys showed that they can play with the Eagles. This game could have easily gone the other way

quickccc

Reaction score

- With J-Lewis, if Diggs did not go down .. Bland would be still handling slot/3rd CB role as he was a great deal a better player than J-Lewis.

With Bland having to take the slot CB role, he's being exposed for what he is. He's just decent at best in coverage.
and teams can take him. I would expect the team to try to find a better slot guy when Bland takes the No.2 role full time next year.

- Schoon is a rookie that just gotta bad break with his knee at goal line - not like he dropped the pass.
And that flag on him for blocking was pure bull ...

- Poor run game - Philly or not, it's just a sick weakness... I'm not a fan of the OL coach Mike Solari,.. I think it's a utter mess between OL coach,.. ex-OL coach as a new RB coach, .. McCarthy's inability to adjust and scheme the RBs in both the run and pass game.

- I think Solari is NOT an upgrade over the departed Joe Philibin- Pollard had much more lanes and creases to explode thru in 2022 -than these current coaches trying to up-gut middle Pollard - and he will once again be useless and under-developed as a receiving weapon. They only want him blitz-blocking.

- And McCarthy is proving even a WORSE poor factor for the RBs, than even Kellen Moore. Pollard is lining up like a WR, and never being looked at as a true weapon.

- Brandin Cooks (sigh) Frankly just like Pollard, Cooks is horribly mis-used and being phased out in this McCarthy offense/
I dunno how much is McCarthy's inability to emphasize Cooks - or how much is it Dak not wanting a rapport with Cooks.
But Dak is not looking his way at all, .and Mac definitely is not scheming Cooks into the offense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- With J-Lewis, if Diggs did not go down .. Bland would be still handling slot/3rd CB role as he was a great deal a better player than J-Lewis.

With Bland having to take the slot CB role, he's being exposed for what he is. He's just decent at best in coverage.
and teams can take him. I would expect the team to try to find a better slot guy when Bland takes the No.2 role full time next year.

- Schoon is a rookie that just gotta bad break with his knee at goal line - not like he dropped the pass.
And that flag on him for blocking was pure bull ...

- Poor run game - Philly or not, it's just a sick weakness... I'm not a fan of the OL coach Mike Solari,.. I think it's a utter mess between OL coach,.. ex-OL coach as a new RB coach, .. McCarthy's inability to adjust and scheme the RBs in both the run and pass game.

- I think Solari is NOT an upgrade over the departed Joe Philibin- Pollard had much more lanes and creases to explode thru in 2022 -than these current coaches trying to up-gut middle Pollard - and he will once again be useless and under-developed as a receiving weapon. They only want him blitz-blocking.

- And McCarthy is proving even a WORSE poor factor for the RBs, than even Kellen Moore. Pollard is lining up like a WR, and never being looked at as a true weapon.

- Brandin Cooks (sigh) Frankly just like Pollard, Cooks is horribly mis-used and being phased out in this McCarthy offense/
I dunno how much is McCarthy's inability to emphasize Cooks - or how much is it Dak not wanting a rapport with Cooks.
But Dak is not looking his way at all, .and Mac definitely is not scheming Cooks into the offense.
Agree with all your opinions.

-Slot corner will be a need this offseason. Can one of your prospects win the job?
-Fixing the run game to me is the #1 priority, cannot expect Dak to carry this team on a game to game basis. Solari hasn't improved the run game at all.
-Just cannot figure out why Cooks is such a non-factor, it is the scheme, Dak not being on the same page? Seems like Turpin is the only other receiver that makes an impact outside of Lamb/Ferg.
-Team has to play cleaner football, it's killing them on both sides of the football.
-Really believe this team is close, but coaching/scheme has to get better.

Praxit

Reaction score
..its our for the taking.

jerry-jones-cowboys.gif

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Certain things were encouraging, and I thought Dallas was the better team yesterday, but they didn’t get the breaks on the close stuff. Being good isn’t enough, gotta be lucky too.

This IS a good team, is likely to get better, and will probably win exactly 12 games again, but that means the five or six seed because they didn’t win the division.

I always have hope, but I really do have a tough time believing they can win three straight road playoff games just to get into the SB after playing a December full of five likely playoff teams.

I feel as if this team is actually better than those of the recent past, but can’t overcome the current playoff system.

Again, gotta be lucky too and you’re all familiar with how that goes around here.
Still a long way to go, but Detroit has the easiest schedule to become the #1 seed, that means as it currently stands, Cowboys would have to face the Lions then the winner of the 49ers/Eagles. Knock 1 off and there is a chance, beating both on the road not happening.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Mental errors continue to plague this team. the Cowboys twice gifted Philly the ball at the 40 yard line due to penalties by the special teams units.
  1. Aubrey kick off out of bounds
  2. Evans inexcusable face mask on a touch back.
The Eagles scored TDs on both possessions.