CFZ Couple of quick thoughts the day after last night's close loss!

fivetwos

Reaction score
Still a long way to go, but Detroit has the easiest schedule to become the #1 seed, that means as it currently stands, Cowboys would have to face the Lions then the winner of the 49ers/Eagles. Knock 1 off and there is a chance, beating both on the road not happening.
Detroit getting the one seed is an interesting scenario. I hadn’t thought it through until now.

I don’t like this format because it gives too much advantage to only one team. Also there could be a case where you’re a 13-14 win second place team and go directly to the five seed, potentially under a team with a losing record.

Let Philly and SF slug it out with Seattle and the seventh team while we go to the winner of the South.

Barring major upsets in one of those, at Detroit the following week would not be an impossible scenario to overcome.

Survive that and they will likely have to travel to either Philly or SF, but beating either is not completely out of the question, and at that point we would have at least broke the NFCCG drought.

The WC may not be as bad as expected, especially if they stay healthy and get a break or two for a change.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
-Team has to play cleaner football, it's killing them on both sides of the football.
-Really believe this team is close, but coaching/scheme has to get better.
This is what's frustrating to me.........it's not hard to see we are close. The offense can move the ball and we are getting better in the red zone.
The defense did a good job against probably the most talented offense in the league. Hell, other than a few plays we pretty much shut down Brown and Smith.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Can we match up with any one of those 2 teams when they have their starting QB ? Especially come playoff time ?
Yes!!!!!
We are one of the few teams ( only 2-4 IMO ) with the personnel that matches well against the Eagles' loaded offense. As for the 49ers, we have to remember how much Shanahan ( excellent play calling and play designs ) impacts their offense. You HAVE to out-coach him.......to win.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
-Eagles have an elite pass rush, led the league in sacks last season and are top 5 this year. Steele was awful, MM should of given him more help, but there is no reason to panic either.

-If you are going to beat a real good team in their building, you cannot make so many mental mistakes: Gallup drop before half could of lead to a TD lead, Schoon not catching the ball in the end zone, Dak stepping out on the 2 point conversion, Audrey with the out of bounds kickoff, Schoon's holding after a long run, etc. Defense had so many penalties that extended drives.

-Sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way, 3 fumbles and the Eagles recovered all of them.

-Cowboy offense is starting to mirror last year's group, which isn't a good thing. It's all about Lamb and the TE. The likes of Cooks, Gallup, Tolbert have to step up their games. Run game still remains a big issue, they had great success on 1 drive that was killed by a penalty.

-Once again they gave up a TD in the red zone when the corner was trailing. This has happened multiple times.

-Lewis and the safeties are the weak links of this defense. Granted Quinn plays a ton of man coverage, but they really struggled.

-Eagles have been a real good team in the close football games, as we have seen, that can flip the other way.

As I said prior to the game, this wasn't a must win game, still a ton of football left, anything can happen. Going into the season, many thought we would split with the Eagles.
The offensive line has to pass block better. We have a passing offense. Players have to step up because CeeDee is getting all of the attention from this game forward. I think Tolbert and Ferguson have potential to beat one on one coverage. Cooks can beat that coverage and maybe it’s time to make him the X receiver. I don’t understand why we are not playing Pollard like the Saints use Kamara. The back has really good receiving skills. Turpin needs to get a few more touches but he seems to get nicked up if gets the ball to much.

The defense is built for Miami and KC type offenses. Get after the pass rusher, fast small linebackers, and man to man corners. I think it’s time to get Scott Jr. out there. Lewis is too small to match up with tight ends. This was a game we should have put Isreal in to cover the slot. Sam looks like he has gotten himself together. We need his pass rush.

We play two games were we can experiment and take some chances. Hopefully we do that with both offense and defense.

Zman5

Reaction score
Harder for me to get over how the events played out after the 1st and 5 at the 6 with 27 secs left.

Just more of the most bizarre type losing history added to this team's long resume of futility.

Oh, it's prolly just me.
No worries.

Cowboys!
That whole sequence gave me a quick flash back to the ending to the playoff game vs Seattle in 2006.
Witten catching the ball right at the endzone but not being able to get in. Then the whole Romo dropping the FG snap and then him getting caught from behind.

Both that game and yesterday's game had that "We lost", "No we might win this!", "We are going to lose", "No we are going to win this!","***K, we lost" feel to it.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The season has a long way to go and the Cowboys showed that they can play with the Eagles. This game could have easily gone the other way
What if the Eagles are not really that good? It’s not like they overpower opponents, as in any opponent. Would you bet your money the Eagles could beat Cincy, KC, Baltimore? I wouldn’t. And if the Eagles are nothing more than competitive, then the same can be said of the Cowboys. If the goal is to win the Super Bowl, which it should be, do you believe either Dallas or Philly is going to win it this season? No. So all the whining about officiating, who is better Dak or Jalen, what is with the weird Eagles head coach, is Jerry smarter than Roseman, why did the Cowboys draft this guy or that, it’s all nonsense. The Eagles and Cowboys players will almost assuredly be watching the Super Bowl on TV, like the rest of us.

75boyz

Reaction score
It's still hard to believe that McCarthy can't find a way to get Cooks 3 to 5 targets per game.

:facepalm:
Yep, this is extremely pathetic.
Along with him having no idea of how to game plan an effective running game.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
What's crazy is with all that you had the ball 1st and goal with 20 seconds. 3-4 cracks at it and you end the game right there with Philly having no time. Then it all crumbled. SMH

Agree completely with your point on Lewis and the safeties. I believe there are playable options on the bench.
Get Lewis out of there!
He cannot stay with a 250lb TE making an out cut! Remember the 4th down pass to Goedert? Lewis wasn’t even close to making a play.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
as per usual the cowboys make to many mistakes to win against a good team in their stadium they make the mistakes that jimmy johnson coached teams seldom made until they figure out that they to not do that this is what u are going to keep gettting

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The offensive line has to pass block better. We have a passing offense. Players have to step up because CeeDee is getting all of the attention from this game forward. I think Tolbert and Ferguson have potential to beat one on one coverage. Cooks can beat that coverage and maybe it’s time to make him the X receiver. I don’t understand why we are not playing Pollard like the Saints use Kamara. The back has really good receiving skills. Turpin needs to get a few more touches but he seems to get nicked up if gets the ball to much.

The defense is built for Miami and KC type offenses. Get after the pass rusher, fast small linebackers, and man to man corners. I think it’s time to get Scott Jr. out there. Lewis is too small to match up with tight ends. This was a game we should have put Isreal in to cover the slot. Sam looks like he has gotten himself together. We need his pass rush.

We play two games were we can experiment and take some chances. Hopefully we do that with both offense and defense.
Yes, excellent time to work on a few areas the next 2 weeks.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This is what's frustrating to me.........it's not hard to see we are close. The offense can move the ball and we are getting better in the red zone.
The defense did a good job against probably the most talented offense in the league. Hell, other than a few plays we pretty much shut down Brown and Smith.
Defensively we have played the run better, but just aren't the same in the back-end without Diggs. Safeties have really struggled throughout the season, along with Lewis getting picked on a weekly basis.

Have to find a running game to have a chance this season, saw a glimpse of it on 1 drive last night, teams are going to continue to play light boxes, until we make them pay for it.

Penalties are maddening on both sides of the football.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Detroit getting the one seed is an interesting scenario. I hadn’t thought it through until now.

I don’t like this format because it gives too much advantage to only one team. Also there could be a case where you’re a 13-14 win second place team and go directly to the five seed, potentially under a team with a losing record.

Let Philly and SF slug it out with Seattle and the seventh team while we go to the winner of the South.

Barring major upsets in one of those, at Detroit the following week would not be an impossible scenario to overcome.

Survive that and they will likely have to travel to either Philly or SF, but beating either is not completely out of the question, and at that point we would have at least broke the NFCCG drought.

The WC may not be as bad as expected, especially if they stay healthy and get a break or two for a change.
It's a long way to go, but this scenario is possible.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Can we match up with any one of those 2 teams when they have their starting QB ? Especially come playoff time ?
A lot can happen health wise now and until the postseason, less worried about our defense then our offense against the 49ers.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
What if the Eagles are not really that good? It’s not like they overpower opponents, as in any opponent. Would you bet your money the Eagles could beat Cincy, KC, Baltimore? I wouldn’t. And if the Eagles are nothing more than competitive, then the same can be said of the Cowboys. If the goal is to win the Super Bowl, which it should be, do you believe either Dallas or Philly is going to win it this season? No. So all the whining about officiating, who is better Dak or Jalen, what is with the weird Eagles head coach, is Jerry smarter than Roseman, why did the Cowboys draft this guy or that, it’s all nonsense. The Eagles and Cowboys players will almost assuredly be watching the Super Bowl on TV, like the rest of us.
I don't know. I was talking to a top poster here about how dang lucky Philly has been all year and he always replies, "Good teams make their luck". Hurts won 2 playoff games, balled out in the SB and now into this season Philly with Hurts has gone 24-2 in the regular season.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm encouraged.
All the events you mentioned had to happen for the Eagles pull out that win. Dallas can compete with them, and this team just has to keep getting better and peak in December n January.
You act like that is all some rare event that's never happened before nor will happen again.

Dak says "the bear comes in poor honey on me"...then steps out of bounds with the bear still arms length away...that's competing?

I...am NOT encouraged we stumbled happenstance upon ways to lose.