Couple of thoughts/opinions inside a month to the draft!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
-We don't have to force taking a Tackle to replace Tyron Smith. Personally, I believe both Mims/Guyton are boom or bust selections, my favorite in our range is Washington's Fautanu. Can play either Guard or Tackle. Matter of fact, neither of the 1st two guys I mentioned are on the visit list as of yet. As for the interior guys, still high on both JPJ and Barton. Saumataia is intriguing, but not in rd 1 as a Tackle.

-Linebacker depth is very thin this year, but I see the Cowboys brought in the 3 top linebackers in the class: Cooper, Wilson, Colson. If 1 of the three make it to our 2nd rd pick, it will be awfully hard to pass up. In my opinion, Wilson is worth it at the end of rd 2, even if he is a 1 contract type of player.

-A ton of buzz that the Cowboys love Texas RB, Jonathan Brooks. I am weary of any player coming off of an late season acl, taking Brooks in the 2nd rd to me would be a reach cause of the injury question mark. If they are moving away from the so called bell cow type of back, all they need to find is a dependable runner, which can be found throughout the draft. I fear they will overdraft the position again.

-Everything I have heard this offseason coming out of the Star is that they want to fix stopping and running the football. OL/RB/LB makes a ton of sense in any order within our top 3 picks. Out of the list I have been using out of 22 players listed, 18 of them are at those positions.

-The scouting community have stated the lack of depth is this draft is glaring. This tells me, the Cowboys aren't going to trade back and just take the 3 best players with their top 3 picks. Day 3, will be used to help sure up their depth at key spots, maybe another Defensive Lineman, Wide Receiver, Defensive Back, etc.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
-We don't have to force taking a Tackle to replace Tyron Smith. Personally, I believe both Mims/Guyton are boom or bust selections, my favorite in our range is Washington's Fautanu. Can play either Guard or Tackle. Matter of fact, neither of the 1st two guys I mentioned are on the visit list as of yet. As for the interior guys, still high on both JPJ and Barton. Saumataia is intriguing, but not in rd 1 as a Tackle.

-Linebacker depth is very thin this year, but I see the Cowboys brought in the 3 top linebackers in the class: Cooper, Wilson, Colson. If 1 of the three make it to our 2nd rd pick, it will be awfully hard to pass up. In my opinion, Wilson is worth it at the end of rd 2, even if he is a 1 contract type of player.

-A ton of buzz that the Cowboys love Texas RB, Jonathan Brooks. I am weary of any player coming off of an late season acl, taking Brooks in the 2nd rd to me would be a reach cause of the injury question mark. If they are moving away from the so called bell cow type of back, all they need to find is a dependable runner, which can be found throughout the draft. I fear they will overdraft the position again.

-Everything I have heard this offseason coming out of the Star is that they want to fix stopping and running the football. OL/RB/LB makes a ton of sense in any order within our top 3 picks. Out of the list I have been using out of 22 players listed, 18 of them are at those positions.

-The scouting community have stated the lack of depth is this draft is glaring. This tells me, the Cowboys aren't going to trade back and just take the 3 best players with their top 3 picks. Day 3, will be used to help sure up their depth at key spots, maybe another Defensive Lineman, Wide Receiver, Defensive Back, etc.
You don’t like Brooks? I am not sure if he is there with pick 56. He has the highest ceiling of any running back in the draft. You are spot on with their plan for fixing the run defense and offense. I think the Cowboys will trade back to get that extra pick. I expect them to pick 3 starters. Pay attention to the draft visits who are expected to go in the lower rounds, Broaddus says the Cowboys will pay for undrafted free agents. This is the way the team will get better unfortunately.

morasp

Reaction score
It sure seems like RB OL LB are in focus

I think Brooks is the best complete back in the draft. If he's like Pollard last year with a slow start but strong finish I'm good with that.

Barton, JPJ, and Morgan are possibilities at OL. If Fautanu fell to us I would definitely consider him.

I hate that we always seem to be drafting LBs, 5 in the last three drafts, but with the way GB ran the ball on us they need to do something.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I think they can get by with Rico and maybe Deuce will show something this year. I don't expect a RB before the 5th round. I think they fix running the football by addressing the OL. On stopping the run, I think they have to go DT again. I like when they have themes like Draft a LT, C/OG first and second round or Draft a DT, DE, and LB 1, 2, and 3.

cnuball21

Reaction score

- Guyton / Mims would be traits picks like Tyler was but I think they’re better prospects. I prefer Mims but both are decent options at 24. Read today Mims only had 1 penalty in 800+ snaps which is insane.

- Agree on the LBs in the 2nd but Colson worries me bc we have no idea about his 40. I’m higher on Coop than most and would be fine with him at 24 solely bc he’s a pass rush demon.

- Agree on Brooks. Absolutely love the tape but can’t do the injury mess again in the 2nd. Benson is the only RB I’d take in round 2.

- I wouldn’t be opposed to a trade back but I have a bad feeling if they continue passing on a top 20 talent.

Good to see you posting again!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Good takes as always

Day 3, I could some raw, toolsie guys. Either way Im not expecting much from day 3 this year. Thankfully we have alot of UDFA's from last year still on the roster. I think that helps alot

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You don’t like Brooks? I am not sure if he is there with pick 56. He has the highest ceiling of any running back in the draft. You are spot on with their plan for fixing the run defense and offense. I think the Cowboys will trade back to get that extra pick. I expect them to pick 3 starters. Pay attention to the draft visits who are expected to go in the lower rounds, Broaddus says the Cowboys will pay for undrafted free agents. This is the way the team will get better unfortunately.
Im not as concerned with Brooks injury as some. 51 college carries before this season. Alot of tread left on those tires. Form what Ive heard, the type of tear he had is the type that heals quickly, and he should be ready before TC. He had said he expects to be readt July 1st

Aven8

Reaction score
Everything they are looking at we need. Having said that DE is still a huge need. I could see us going that route in the 1st if someone falls.

Bigdog

Reaction score
If Fautanu is there I am taking him but I don’t think he will be there at 24. Mims is very intriguing at 24 if he makes it to us. He is being compared to Tyron Smith. The only problem is he is injury prone and has started only 8 games but what a games he played. Absolutely dominated the competition in those games. Still I would take Mims despite the injury concerns.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Just don’t want to go through another player coming off an acl injury as we saw Gallup never return to form and Steele not looking the same as well.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- Guyton / Mims would be traits picks like Tyler was but I think they’re better prospects. I prefer Mims but both are decent options at 24. Read today Mims only had 1 penalty in 800+ snaps which is insane.

- Agree on the LBs in the 2nd but Colson worries me bc we have no idea about his 40. I’m higher on Coop than most and would be fine with him at 24 solely bc he’s a pass rush demon.

- Agree on Brooks. Absolutely love the tape but can’t do the injury mess again in the 2nd. Benson is the only RB I’d take in round 2.

- I wouldn’t be opposed to a trade back but I have a bad feeling if they continue passing on a top 20 talent.

Good to see you posting again!
Why did Mims just start 8 games? Can either play left tackle?

Colson’s lack of instincts scares me to death. Cooper to me might be better as an outside off the ball linebacker. He does possess a nice overall game.

I don’t want to pass up a better prospect this yr for another pick as the depth isn’t strong this yr.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Everything they are looking at we need. Having said that DE is still a huge need. I could see us going that route in the 1st if someone falls.
No agrument about the need, but everything points to stopping the run this yr

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If Fautanu is there I am taking him but I don’t think he will be there at 24. Mims is very intriguing at 24 if he makes it to us. He is being compared to Tyron Smith. The only problem is he is injury prone and has started only 8 games but what a games he played. Absolutely dominated the competition in those games. Still I would take Mims despite the injury concerns.
I’m a big fan of Fautanu and agree think he is off the board. Mims scares me, we suffered having a tackle for was never healthy for years

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good takes as always

Day 3, I could some raw, toolsie guys. Either way Im not expecting much from day 3 this year. Thankfully we have alot of UDFA's from last year still on the roster. I think that helps alot
Perhaps we can double up at a few spots like linebacker or running back, maybe find a receiver to develop

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Just don’t want to go through another player coming off an acl injury as we saw Gallup never return to form and Steele not looking the same as well.
I get it but it was a clean tear and Brooks is 20 years of age with little mileage. Steele tore his ACL and MCL. Gallup was never the same after his calf injury against Tampa. The ACL injury killed the rest his confidence. The top two centers Powers-Johnson and my guy Barton both have injuries. Hip for Powers and shoulder for Barton.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I’m a big fan of Fautanu and agree think he is off the board. Mims scares me, we suffered having a tackle for was never healthy for years
Fautanu is a no brainer for me if he is there. Mims does scare me with his injuries but it depends on what the medical team says

Carter

Reaction score
Please not an injured guy out of college in the 2nd again.

If they go with RB they have to take Benson in Round 2 or hopefully Wright in Round 3 if he lasts that long.

First Pick need to be O-Line. Im fine with Fautanu or Mims. Would pick Barton because he can play basically all positions on the O-Line and would start at C which is a bigger need than LT (can still play Tyler Smith there atleast of another year).

cnuball21

Reaction score
Why did Mims just start 8 games? Can either play left tackle?

Colson’s lack of instincts scares me to death. Cooper to me might be better as an outside off the ball linebacker. He does possess a nice overall game.

I don’t want to pass up a better prospect this yr for another pick as the depth isn’t strong this yr.
I think they have the athleticism to play LT. I think it’s absolutely moronic that we’ve put ourselves in this position for an “all in” year to count on a rookie LT that might be switching sides but here we are.

Yea, Coop is clear cut LB1 for me. Huge fan.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I get it but it was a clean tear and Brooks is 20 years of age with little mileage. Steele tore his ACL and MCL. Gallup was never the same after his calf injury against Tampa. The ACL injury killed the rest his confidence. The top two centers Powers-Johnson and my guy Barton both have injuries. Hip for Powers and shoulder for Barton.
Todd Gurley was in a similar situation, where he was drafted after having an acl tear. He did have success, but his career was cut short due to his knee. Much rather draft a healthy player without any limitations.

visionary

Reaction score
It sure seems like RB OL LB are in focus

I think Brooks is the best complete back in the draft. If he's like Pollard last year with a slow start but strong finish I'm good with that.

Barton, JPJ, and Morgan are possibilities at OL. If Fautanu fell to us I would definitely consider him.

I hate that we always seem to be drafting LBs, 5 in the last three drafts, but with the way GB ran the ball on us they need to do something.
If Brooks is like Pollard i want nothing to do with him in rds 1-3

The solution to not being run on is getting legitimate 1T DT, not play Parsons at DE and not play safeties at LB. If we play Parsons at his proper position we have enough at LB. Of course we wont and will still get run on this season