Couple of thoughts/opinions inside a month to the draft!

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Todd Gurley was in a similar situation, where he was drafted after having an acl tear. He did have success, but his career was cut short due to his knee. Much rather draft a healthy player without any limitations.
Sadly Gurley was a one rookie contract runner but ironically so was Zeke, who didn’t have the big injury. I hate to do this with running backs but you run them into ground for four years and then replace them.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think they have the athleticism to play LT. I think it’s absolutely moronic that we’ve put ourselves in this position for an “all in” year to count on a rookie LT that might be switching sides but here we are.

Yea, Coop is clear cut LB1 for me. Huge fan.
I wouldn't be shocked that they may draft 1 of those linebackers in a trade back scenario cause of the glaring need at the position and their inability to stop the run. The drop-off after the 1st 3-4 linebackers is immense this yr.

It isn't an easy transition from a Tackle switching sides, it takes a ton of reps for a player to get used to doing everything opposite. Not saying it's impossible for a rookie, but it will be very challenging.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Sadly Gurley was a one rookie contract runner but ironically so was Zeke, who didn’t have the big injury. I hate to do this with running backs but you run them into ground for four years and then replace them.
I think we would agree that Zeke could of been a 2nd contract back if he was used better. Garrett ran him into the ground with so many carries.

All indications, they want to adopt a multiple running back attack. We don't need that bell cow type of runner anymore, but rather a serviceable back who can be successful in split carry system. To be able to run that, you need 2 healthy runners. Question I have, will Brooks even be ready to start the season?

morasp

Reaction score
If Brooks is like Pollard i want nothing to do with him in rds 1-3

The solution to not being run on is getting legitimate 1T DT, not play Parsons at DE and not play safeties at LB. If we play Parsons at his proper position we have enough at LB. Of course we wont and will still get run on this season
Wright would be closer to Pollard, Brooks would be more of a Bijan, good pass catcher, excellent vision as a runner, very good in blitz pickup. I was talking mostly in terms of coming off his ACL injury.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Todd Gurley was in a similar situation, where he was drafted after having an acl tear. He did have success, but his career was cut short due to his knee. Much rather draft a healthy player without any limitations.
I’m with you on this. Aside from the physical recovery you have the mental hurdle of trusting your knee again. We could lose significant time waiting for him to cross that bridge. Lot of pressure to put on a 20 year old that will be expected to be an immediate big time contributor.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked that they may draft 1 of those linebackers in a trade back scenario cause of the glaring need at the position and their inability to stop the run. The drop-off after the 1st 3-4 linebackers is immense this yr.

It isn't an easy transition from a Tackle switching sides, it takes a ton of reps for a player to get used to doing everything opposite. Not saying it's impossible for a rookie, but it will be very challenging.
Judging by the list of 30 visits it’s more so interior guys and OTs projected to play G.

My gut says they’re going to kick Tyler out to LT and draft a G/C and I hate that but it is what it is.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Wright would be closer to Pollard, Brooks would be more of a Bijan, good pass catcher, excellent vision as a runner, very good in blitz pickup. I was talking mostly in terms of coming off his ACL injury.
If we can get Tony Pollard type play on a rookie deal sign me up.

Absolutely love Wright.

morasp

Reaction score
If Brooks is like Pollard i want nothing to do with him in rds 1-3

The solution to not being run on is getting legitimate 1T DT, not play Parsons at DE and not play safeties at LB. If we play Parsons at his proper position we have enough at LB. Of course we wont and will still get run on this season
I was going to add to it but it timed out.

I think Zimmer could use Parsons like Anthony Barr which wouldn't be a bad thing. Clark Kendricks and Parsons at LB seems OK with me. If Kendricks plays well they should try to bring him back. They still have Overshown who reportedly has been getting stronger during his rehab so he could be in play but I don't know if he's as much of a Zimmer guy as he was a DQ guy. They used a third round pick on him though.

If your not sold on Mazi, there are five DTs in the draft with early starter grades
Murphy II similar to Jalen Carter who the eagles took at 9 and Calijah Kancey who the Bucs took at 19 last year
Sweat Jordan Davis type who the Eagles took at 13 two years ago
Newton whose comp is Javon Hargrave
Fiske a lighter DT (292#)
Jenkins another Michigan DT more quick than big (299#)
In Later rounds Fabien Lovett Florida St. might be an option as a 1T

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think we would agree that Zeke could of been a 2nd contract back if he was used better. Garrett ran him into the ground with so many carries.

All indications, they want to adopt a multiple running back attack. We don't need that bell cow type of runner anymore, but rather a serviceable back who can be successful in split carry system. To be able to run that, you need 2 healthy runners. Question I have, will Brooks even be ready to start the season?
I would hope Brooks will be out a full year similar to Hall for the Jets. I looked at teams that need running backs and the only team I saw that jumped off the page was the Raiders. The Cowboys might be able to wait until the third but they probably need draft another running back in the later rounds to supplement the talent difference. Part of me wants to finish the offensive line by drafting a left tackle and center with the first two picks but then I could see us drafting a defensive player as well in the first two rounds if the board break right. The Cowboys can go a million ways in this draft.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I have heard that Brooks is more like an Aaron Jones, Benson more like a Jonathan Taylor (more of a two down back), Wright is like Pollard.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I’m with you on this. Aside from the physical recovery you have the mental hurdle of trusting your knee again. We could lose significant time waiting for him to cross that bridge. Lot of pressure to put on a 20 year old that will be expected to be an immediate big time contributor.
This is my biggest worry, how does he respond post injury. Based on the game film, he is the best back in the class, but the biggest unknown.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Judging by the list of 30 visits it’s more so interior guys and OTs projected to play G.

My gut says they’re going to kick Tyler out to LT and draft a G/C and I hate that but it is what it is.
Doesn't mean that has to be their long-term plan. They do still have Richards and could also draft a Tackle after rd 1 that might need a little development time. I think the bigger question is, which backup do they trust most if they were to become the starter, as it's unlikely to fill 2 starting roles just through the draft? Richards, Bass or Hoffman? My best guess is Bass, cause he has the most game experience of the three.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I would hope Brooks will be out a full year similar to Hall for the Jets. I looked at teams that need running backs and the only team I saw that jumped off the page was the Raiders. The Cowboys might be able to wait until the third but they probably need draft another running back in the later rounds to supplement the talent difference. Part of me wants to finish the offensive line by drafting a left tackle and center with the first two picks but then I could see us drafting a defensive player as well in the first two rounds if the board break right. The Cowboys can go a million ways in this draft.
I was just listening to Mosher's podcast, where they broke down Brooks, Benson & Wright:

Brooks-compared him to Aaron Jones. Excellent 3 down abilities, but isn't a player who will break many tackles.
Benson-compared him to Jonathan Taylor. Possesses more power, but he is limited as a receiver and pass protector.
Wright-compared to Pollard. More of a homerun, change of pace type of back.

Brooks certainly fits the Cowboys prototype, but personally I think Benson might be the better fit, especially if they plan to have a running back committee.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I was just listening to Mosher's podcast, where they broke down Brooks, Benson & Wright:

Brooks-compared him to Aaron Jones. Excellent 3 down abilities, but isn't a player who will break many tackles.
Benson-compared him to Jonathan Taylor. Possesses more power, but he is limited as a receiver and pass protector.
Wright-compared to Pollard. More of a homerun, change of pace type of back.

Brooks certainly fits the Cowboys prototype, but personally I think Benson might be the better fit, especially if they plan to have a running back committee.
I like Benson the best. I am a Florida St fan so I am biased. The kid can do it all. With the special teams kickoff rule change we would never get the ball inside the 40.

J-man

Reaction score
The top 3 needs are absolutely OL, LB, and RB. But DE, WR, CB and DT are all needed as well. Trading back a couple spots may be the best thing they can do. But I have a feeling many teams are going to try and move back so it maybe harder than we think.

Ideally I think they would go LT, LB, RB 1-3, but things don't always work out the way you hope.

But w/ Tyler Smith in house they have the luxury of not forcing a LT pick at 24. They have the option to add a OG instead and kick T Smith out to LT. They could possibly take that player in any of the first 3 rds, which would be helpful in filling the other top needs with a quality player.
**I wouldn't pass on a true stating LT if they get the chance at 24, but they don't have to reach for a mediocre one either. I'm sure they know this and that could allow them to very easily grab the BPA if one of the top DE, DT, CB or WR falls to us at 24. Their 2nd pick would almost have to be a quality OL player if they do that, which I'm not opposed to either.

Kendrick's aside, IMO they have to get a quality MLB. I love Cooper, not sure who they like most or what they plan on doing, but I think they will need to use a top 3 pick to get their man. If they go BPA in rd 1, getting this done almost requires a trade, to either get another pick or to trade back up into an early rd to grab one.

Brooks could be great for us, but I'm like you and a little leery about taking him that early. Maybe if he falls, but I doubt it. Benson instead could be the move in Rd 2. I like Wright, Allen and Shipley and I think one of them would probably be available in rd 3.

morasp

Reaction score
I have heard that Brooks is more like an Aaron Jones, Benson more like a Jonathan Taylor (more of a two down back), Wright is like Pollard.
I watched Locked on Cowboys and they also compared Benson to Taylor.
NFL.com also compared Brooks to Jamaal Charles who had some very good years with the Chiefs rushing and receiving.

visionary

Reaction score
I was going to add to it but it timed out.

I think Zimmer could use Parsons like Anthony Barr which wouldn't be a bad thing. Clark Kendricks and Parsons at LB seems OK with me. If Kendricks plays well they should try to bring him back. They still have Overshown who reportedly has been getting stronger during his rehab so he could be in play but I don't know if he's as much of a Zimmer guy as he was a DQ guy. They used a third round pick on him though.

If your not sold on Mazi, there are five DTs in the draft with early starter grades
Murphy II similar to Jalen Carter who the eagles took at 9 and Calijah Kancey who the Bucs took at 19 last year
Sweat Jordan Davis type who the Eagles took at 13 two years ago
Newton whose comp is Javon Hargrave
Fiske a lighter DT (292#)
Jenkins another Michigan DT more quick than big (299#)
In Later rounds Fabien Lovett Florida St. might be an option as a 1T
Love your input
At this point i dont think we have a single DT worth starting. Mazi may turn into that but we dont know. Osa flames out by game 6 every season. We need a 3T and a 1T DT at starter level.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Given the feel of this season being somewhat in limbo or team transition, I would put much more stock in taking BPA.

As this thread alone demonstrates, there are needs at numerous positions and with the draft not being real deep, you gotta get your highest rated players when you can. I’ve seen a couple statements citing picks 1-120 as being the target zone this year - not deep.

I believe special attention will be given to the O-Line, but I’d hate to reach for need even though it may be very tempting.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The top 3 needs are absolutely OL, LB, and RB. But DE, WR, CB and DT are all needed as well. Trading back a couple spots may be the best thing they can do. But I have a feeling many teams are going to try and move back so it maybe harder than we think.

Ideally I think they would go LT, LB, RB 1-3, but things don't always work out the way you hope.

But w/ Tyler Smith in house they have the luxury of not forcing a LT pick at 24. They have the option to add a OG instead and kick T Smith out to LT. They could possibly take that player in any of the first 3 rds, which would be helpful in filling the other top needs with a quality player.
**I wouldn't pass on a true stating LT if they get the chance at 24, but they don't have to reach for a mediocre one either. I'm sure they know this and that could allow them to very easily grab the BPA if one of the top DE, DT, CB or WR falls to us at 24. Their 2nd pick would almost have to be a quality OL player if they do that, which I'm not opposed to either.

Kendrick's aside, IMO they have to get a quality MLB. I love Cooper, not sure who they like most or what they plan on doing, but I think they will need to use a top 3 pick to get their man. If they go BPA in rd 1, getting this done almost requires a trade, to either get another pick or to trade back up into an early rd to grab one.

Brooks could be great for us, but I'm like you and a little leery about taking him that early. Maybe if he falls, but I doubt it. Benson instead could be the move in Rd 2. I like Wright, Allen and Shipley and I think one of them would probably be available in rd 3.
Question is, are Guyton/Mims true left tackles?

I think especially in this draft, day 3 picks will be more depth type pieces. My biggest worry is at NT

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I watched Locked on Cowboys and they also compared Benson to Taylor.
NFL.com also compared Brooks to Jamaal Charles who had some very good years with the Chiefs rushing and receiving.
I think Benson is the better fit to fix our ground game, but Brooks is the far more balanced player.