Couple of thoughts/opinions inside a month to the draft!

morasp

Reaction score
I think Benson is the better fit to fix our ground game, but Brooks is the far more balanced player.
My concern with him is the reason they compared him to Taylor is he's poor in blitz pickup and receiving. Defenses will key on him when he's in the game. I fine if they draft him, he's a good runner who doesn't fumble, it's just a limitation.

cnuball21

Reaction score
My concern with him is the reason they compared him to Taylor is he's poor in blitz pickup and receiving. Defenses will key on him when he's in the game. I fine if they draft him, he's a good runner who doesn't fumble, it's just a limitation.
Pollard was bad and got waaaaay better. If he has the will he’s got the size to be great at it.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Perhaps it is an area he can develop with. Remember, we are also going to go with more of a committee then just 1 back.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Pollard was bad and got waaaaay better. If he has the will he’s got the size to be great at it.
Him being more of a two down back doesn't bother me, as we probably are going to use Dowdle as our #2 back. Dowdle is very good in pass pro and has good receiving traits.

morasp

Reaction score
Perhaps it is an area he can develop with. Remember, we are also going to go with more of a committee then just 1 back.
Pollard's improvement was notable, probably a testament to our RBs coach. I'm fine with all three but still like the other two better. You never know, they may wait until day three to address the position.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
-We don't have to force taking a Tackle to replace Tyron Smith. Personally, I believe both Mims/Guyton are boom or bust selections, my favorite in our range is Washington's Fautanu. Can play either Guard or Tackle. Matter of fact, neither of the 1st two guys I mentioned are on the visit list as of yet. As for the interior guys, still high on both JPJ and Barton. Saumataia is intriguing, but not in rd 1 as a Tackle
Had no idea Zack Martin would be a free agent after this season. They may double-dip this position......

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Had no idea Zack Martin would be a free agent after this season. They may double-dip this position......
With lack of depth in this year's entire draft class, we have to hit on our top three selections. Clearly, we already have 2 starter holes along the OL, but we have to add a starting running back and another linebacker.

The likes of Bass, Richards, Walesko, Ball, Hoffman have to fill in the gaps.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Pollard's improvement was notable, probably a testament to our RBs coach. I'm fine with all three but still like the other two better. You never know, they may wait until day three to address the position.
We don't need a bell cow type of runner if we are going to use more of a committee. Just a quality back who can be successful when his number has been called. Recent history suggests, you can find good backs throughout the entire draft, where you don't need to reach to fill a need. Personally, I would like to see they take a back somewhere on day 2 and on day 3. Let them all compete to determine who gets the touches.

J-man

Reaction score
Question is, are Guyton/Mims true left tackles?

I think especially in this draft, day 3 picks will be more depth type pieces. My biggest worry is at NT
I agree. I personally think Mims more so than Guyton, is capable of being a good LT. And to be clear, playing LT is very different from playing it at a high level, which is what we all want from this pick.
So this goes back to what I was saying, if you can get one take one, but if you can't get a good one, don't take one just to take one. Take the BPA at 24 and make d*** sure you get a top flight OG from somewhere and move T Smith to LT.

NT is always a worry for this team. smh

Carter

Reaction score
not only Free Agent. I think he might retire after this season. Injuries are starting to drag him down too. He has played a ton of snaps in the NFL. He was insanely durable for a Guard that basically played all the snaps for a decade.

Chasing6

Reaction score
-We don't have to force taking a Tackle to replace Tyron Smith. Personally, I believe both Mims/Guyton are boom or bust selections, my favorite in our range is Washington's Fautanu. Can play either Guard or Tackle. Matter of fact, neither of the 1st two guys I mentioned are on the visit list as of yet. As for the interior guys, still high on both JPJ and Barton. Saumataia is intriguing, but not in rd 1 as a Tackle.

-Linebacker depth is very thin this year, but I see the Cowboys brought in the 3 top linebackers in the class: Cooper, Wilson, Colson. If 1 of the three make it to our 2nd rd pick, it will be awfully hard to pass up. In my opinion, Wilson is worth it at the end of rd 2, even if he is a 1 contract type of player.

-A ton of buzz that the Cowboys love Texas RB, Jonathan Brooks. I am weary of any player coming off of an late season acl, taking Brooks in the 2nd rd to me would be a reach cause of the injury question mark. If they are moving away from the so called bell cow type of back, all they need to find is a dependable runner, which can be found throughout the draft. I fear they will overdraft the position again.

-Everything I have heard this offseason coming out of the Star is that they want to fix stopping and running the football. OL/RB/LB makes a ton of sense in any order within our top 3 picks. Out of the list I have been using out of 22 players listed, 18 of them are at those positions.

-The scouting community have stated the lack of depth is this draft is glaring. This tells me, the Cowboys aren't going to trade back and just take the 3 best players with their top 3 picks. Day 3, will be used to help sure up their depth at key spots, maybe another Defensive Lineman, Wide Receiver, Defensive Back, etc.
It will be smarter to get a legit guard/center at 24 vs gambling on the 9th tackle.

Not sure LB's regardless how good they are is going to solve our problems without a legit DT. We lost 2 DT's and added none so far.

GM Jethro has to be banking on some trades or signing FA's after the draft.

However he still would need to create some cap space from somewhere.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It will be smarter to get a legit guard/center at 24 vs gambling on the 9th tackle.

Not sure LB's regardless how good they are is going to solve our problems without a legit DT. We lost 2 DT's and added none so far.

GM Jethro has to be banking on some trades or signing FA's after the draft.

However he still would need to create some cap space from somewhere.
Both linebacker and nt need help. Don’t think they are finished addressing NT just either as well

Chasing6

Reaction score
Both linebacker and nt need help. Don’t think they are finished addressing NT just either as well
Unfortunately with 3 picks in the first 2 days, we can't fill OL, DT, LB and RB.

My bet is with Overshown coming back and us signing a LB already, LB will be left out.

However I would not be surprised with this brain trust that we don't sign a DT at any point in the draft.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Unfortunately with 3 picks in the first 2 days, we can't fill OL, DT, LB and RB.

My bet is with Overshown coming back and us signing a LB already, LB will be left out.

However I would not be surprised with this brain trust that we don't sign a DT at any point in the draft.
Going to have to use post draft fa with limited picks and a poor depth draft