Cover Tunes

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This was my first connection to the Stones, I was am huge Buddy Holly fan as a kid. It was customary for British bands to cover American music and they were students of the music. A lot of people were unaware of the original.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Favorite of all time and the actual origin of this song is still unknown but Leadbelly's recording was the first. The cover is one of my favorite songs by the best rock band in history. The first time I heard this, I could not stop listening and would crank it every time it started to crank.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dylan was an other worldly writer but I preferred almost all of his songs covered, never was into folk.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Favorite of all time and the actual origin of this song is still unknown but Leadbelly's recording was the first. The cover is one of my favorite songs by the best rock band in history. The first time I heard this, I could not stop listening and would crank it every time it started to crank.

Yes!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dylan changed how he performed it, after hearing Jimi's rendition.
He changed a lot of how he performed when folk music began to fade. When he first came on the scene, he was unlike anyone most people at that time had ever seen unless they were into the old blues/folk artists which he emulated. I was on the outside of that, the majority of my buds were Dylandudes and he was the biggest thing in the universe. But then came "Like a Rolling Stone" and he got me. That was the best singalong song of it's time when you were just driving around because who couldn't sing better than Dylan? But no one could write his words.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He changed a lot of how he performed when folk music began to fade. When he first came on the scene, he was unlike anyone most people at that time had ever seen unless they were into the old blues/folk artists which he emulated. I was on the outside of that, the majority of my buds were Dylandudes and he was the biggest thing in the universe. But then came "Like a Rolling Stone" and he got me. That was the best singalong song of it's time when you were just driving around because who couldn't sing better than Dylan? But no one could write his words.

Being a bit older than myself, and a few others here, you have a slightly different perspective than I/we do, that being that you experienced some of the music and the times that I/we were a little young for. I noticed that when you were talking about the Beatles too. I remember some of the old Beatles on the radio (Hard Days Night etc), but was too young to be aware of when they first came to America and Beatle mania first hit. Same with Dylan - was too young to be caught up in the folk and beat poet kind of thing as it was happening. Obviously I'm aware of all these things, and am old enough that the times aren't too much off from my direct experience, but I enjoy getting the perspective of people that have clear memories of those times and the impact of those artists in their earliest years.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Being a bit older than myself, and a few others here, you have a slightly different perspective than I/we do, that being that you experienced some of the music and the times that I/we were a little young for. I noticed that when you were talking about the Beatles too. I remember some of the old Beatles on the radio (Hard Days Night etc), but was too young to be aware of when they first came to America and Beatle mania first hit. Same with Dylan - was too young to be caught up in the folk and beat poet kind of thing as it was happening. Obviously I'm aware of all these things, and am old enough that the times aren't too much off from my direct experience, but I enjoy getting the perspective of people that have clear memories of those times and the impact of those artists in their earliest years.
Omer, I would like to be younger than I am because growing old is a pain in the butt and other places as well but experiencing that time of the emergence of Elvis, the British Invasion and evolution of rock was a time unlike any other and while we all reveled in it at the time, it was only when looking back that we truly appreciated what we had experienced first hand.

We were the first generation to basically thumb our noses at tradition and what made our parents the people that they were. We took every opportunity to flaunt our new found freedom, that they had fought and sacrificed for, in their faces. This was not everyone but I was like that. I rebelled just to rebel.

I used to think they, the older generation, were just jealous and afraid of us but later on as I began to mature and really look back at those times of rebellion and building our own world, I realized they were not afraid of us but afraid for us. We weren't the first to want hedonistic lifestyles and rules suspended for us, but we were the first to give into it in mass quantities, it was all about fun. We were owed fun and earning fun wasn't fun and the banks saw our need to have fun now and pay later and the credit card was created.

I see complaints about the younger generation and just laugh, that's what my generation gave this country. We screwed up a lot of things including one of our own getting a bj in the oval office and accepting that. But we had great music and a lot of fun.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think the Counting Crows did an exceptional job with Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi.

lukin2006

Reaction score
PEARL JAM EDDIE VEDDER *IMAGINE* live in DETROIT at Joe Louis Arena 10/16/2014 HD

I was at the concert and this my favourite live cover ever. Pearl jam some great live covers...Rockin in the Free World and Baba O'Reilly are other favourites...

cowboyec

Reaction score
Otis Redding did an excellent version of Satisfaction...love Otis Redding...left us much too soon.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
PEARL JAM EDDIE VEDDER *IMAGINE* live in DETROIT at Joe Louis Arena 10/16/2014 HD

I was at the concert and this my favourite live cover ever. Pearl jam some great live covers...Rockin in the Free World and Baba O'Reilly are other favourites...

It's very good, but do you find it better than the original?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I like Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm, but I think MJ' s original version is better.
Same goes for Darling Nikki, by Prince and then The Foo Fighters.

lukin2006

Reaction score
It's very good, but do you find it better than the original?

Not better. Just very good. I like Pearl Jam covers because they play them close to how the original artist intends it to sound. They never try to make it their own (because it's not their own) ... some bands do try to make it their own.

Come Together by Aerosmith is a fantastic cover as well. I saw Aerosmith twice ... and it was never played. This is a great thread. :clap: