Cover Tunes

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not better. Just very good. I like Pearl Jam covers because they play them close to how the original artist intends it to sound. They never try to make it their own (because it's not their own) ... some bands do try to make it their own.

Come Together by Aerosmith is a fantastic cover as well. I saw Aerosmith twice ... and it was never played. This is a great thread. :clap:
Thanks, brother!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you draw/paint that pic?
He is excellent, he showed me a painting he did of a 57 Chevy and I thought it was the real car.

I think Runny is our Renaissance Man. He's a truck driver with great artistic skills, the Chief of the Punctuation and Grammar Police with a quick wit. Now, I might be stereotyping truck drivers a little too much here because he's the only one I know but the ones I have seen painting wouldn't involve a canvass but a ladder.

But who am I to say? I managed radio stations for 25 years and don't like radio. I used to think things are not always as they seem but I changed always to often.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He is excellent, he showed me a painting he did of a 57 Chevy and I thought it was the real car.

I think Runny is our Renaissance Man. He's a truck driver with great artistic skills, the Chief of the Punctuation and Grammar Police with a quick wit. Now, I might be stereotyping truck drivers a little too much here because he's the only one I know but the ones I have seen painting wouldn't involve a canvass but a ladder.

But who am I to say? I managed radio stations for 25 years and don't like radio. I used to think things are not always as they seem but I changed always to often.
Thanks CC, but the stereotype of truckers is mostly spot on, except for the one about being stupid. A stupid truck driver isn't a truck driver for long, unless he's extremely lucky.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Omer, I would like to be younger than I am because growing old is a pain in the butt and other places as well but experiencing that time of the emergence of Elvis, the British Invasion and evolution of rock was a time unlike any other and while we all reveled in it at the time, it was only when looking back that we truly appreciated what we had experienced first hand.

We were the first generation to basically thumb our noses at tradition and what made our parents the people that they were. We took every opportunity to flaunt our new found freedom, that they had fought and sacrificed for, in their faces. This was not everyone but I was like that. I rebelled just to rebel.

I used to think they, the older generation, were just jealous and afraid of us but later on as I began to mature and really look back at those times of rebellion and building our own world, I realized they were not afraid of us but afraid for us. We weren't the first to want hedonistic lifestyles and rules suspended for us, but we were the first to give into it in mass quantities, it was all about fun. We were owed fun and earning fun wasn't fun and the banks saw our need to have fun now and pay later and the credit card was created.

I see complaints about the younger generation and just laugh, that's what my generation gave this country. We screwed up a lot of things including one of our own getting a bj in the oval office and accepting that. But we had great music and a lot of fun.

I'm certainly old enough to understand the pains of aging.

Of course, one of the things I was able to avoid by not being a bit older was Vietnam. That's something I'm sure you have a different perspective on as well.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Yes, and I brought it to an autograph event in Jersey and had him sign it.

You are very talented...that is excellent. :clap::clap:And that's great that he signed it. Did he say anything. True story. A fellow I used to work with was also a very talented artist. His favourite hockey player was Bob Probert. He did a drawing of him and took it to an autograph session ... Bob Probert was so impressed he left the table with the artwork and went and showed his wife and children and friends that were there. Then he took a picture with the fellow I worked while he was holding the artwork...that was such cool thing Probert did.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You are very talented...that is excellent. :clap::clap:And that's great that he signed it. Did he say anything. True story. A fellow I used to work with was also a very talented artist. His favourite hockey player was Bob Probert. He did a drawing of him and took it to an autograph session ... Bob Probert was so impressed he left the table with the artwork and went and showed his wife and children and friends that were there. Then he took a picture with the fellow I worked while he was holding the artwork...that was such cool thing Probert did.
Emmitt didn't even notice it. Asked him for a handshake and he refused. I understand to a degree. I'm sure he sees a lot of paintings and such that people plan to sell, once they're autographed...and if he shook my hand, then he'd have to shake the hand of everyone else who was paying about $100 to have him write his name.

Sorry, did that come off as sarcastic?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks CC, but the stereotype of truckers is mostly spot on, except for the one about being stupid. A stupid truck driver isn't a truck driver for long, unless he's extremely lucky.
I have never considered that about them anymore than I would guys that work construction or any blue collar job. People often confuse what people do as who they are. My father-in-law worked for the railroad and could tell you more about Classical music than anyone I know.

And as far as people complaining about truckers, I have seen a hell of a lot worse behind the wheel of other vehicles and a lot ruder hogging the left lane.

Now that I have opened this thread up about truckers, we can expect cowboyec along any minute with Elvis the Trucker stories. Elvis once drove a 18 wheeler around Saturn on the rings.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Emmitt didn't even notice it. Asked him for a handshake and he refused. I understand to a degree. I'm sure he sees a lot of paintings and such that people plan to sell, once they're autographed...and if he shook my hand, then he'd have to shake the hand of everyone else who was paying about $100 to have him write his name.

I heard from several different radio people in Dallas that he's an awesome person and all about Emmitt and money. My wife worked with some charity folks and the word was they wouldn't even ask him to give his time because he wouldn't.

Now, I didn't walk in his shoes or see all of the requests that he got so I am not really criticizing him, man has the right to his privacy and life. But this is what I was told.

There is this thing that gets applied to pro athletes that they owe the fans. They aren't paid to shake hands or give autographs by their employers. There are some that extend themselves into the communities and that's great but I don't think the ones that don't should be criticized for not doing that. The one area I am not OK with is being rude to a kid, that's their hero.

Ya know at training camp, Roger would not leave the field until every kid that was in line got an autograph and that tradition was carried on by Aikman.

Xelda

Reaction score

That took Emmitt down a few rungs in the realm of my opinion of him. I know he's human, I know he's been hounded by tons of people, but that's no way to be if you're at an event where people are paying you to be there. It's a beautiful piece of art that deserves attention. Your signature is the important one.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm certainly old enough to understand the pains of aging.

Of course, one of the things I was able to avoid by not being a bit older was Vietnam. That's something I'm sure you have a different perspective on as well.
Not without getting political.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Other notable covers ...

Richie Havens cover of Here's Comes the Sun
Peter, Paul and Mary's cover of Blowing in the Wind
Nazareth's cover of Love Hurts
Elton John's cover of Pinball Wizard
Elton John's cover of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Joe Cocker's cover of With a Little Help from My Friends

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That took Emmitt down a few rungs in the realm of my opinion of him. I know he's human, I know he's been hounded by tons of people, but that's no way to be if you're at an event where people are paying you to be there. It's a beautiful piece of art that deserves attention. Your signature is the important one.
Xelda, what was your opinion of Emmitt based upon? He showed up for work and did a great job but other than that what did we know about him?

I know he went back to get his degree at FL and still couldn't form a proper sentence. I know he was able to sit and watch his defending SB team takes two loses to start the season. I know he pushed Parcells on the "no Dominoes in the locker room" policy and got his butt fired.

He was a great football player, that is all I know or really even need to know. Once we began discovering we had some bad actors wearing that uniform, I made the conscious decision to separate player and person. That was the only way I could remain a Cowboys fan with the likes of Irvin, Sanders, Owens, Brent, Goodrich and Hardy around. They are not even people to me on the field, they're Cowboys. Not saying Emmitt is a bad actor but I really don't care what type of person he is.

lukin2006

Reaction score

I can see ES point. Believe me the fellow I worked was not selling it...

lukin2006

Reaction score
I can see ES point. Believe me the fellow I worked was not selling it...
Another true storey appeared in the local newspaper a few years back about a local fellow who had spent years getting every member of Team Canada "72 Summit with the Soviets ... He had 1 signature to get, it was Ken Dryden's ... he wouldn't sign it ... he said "you'll sell it on eBay" ... I have no respect for Ken Dryden after that. That team was loaded with hall of fame players who signed no problem, no questions asked ... it takes one idiot to ruin what was a great adventure and hobby this guy pursued.