Cowboy Facts and the Bizarro Hatred of Garrett/Linehan

Blackspider214

Reaction score
If garrett had the same playoff record as McCarthy had with equal amout of years, he would be a hero around here.........and Garrett is the one that has a job.......amazing

Don't forget Caughlin. He was let go from the Giants after winning 2 Super Bowls. Yet Garrett is still around. Harbaugh won a Super Bowl in 2012 for the Ravens and there are rumblings about him being on the hot seat. A lot of teams are not content with mediocrity. Well except Dallas and the Bengals.

It's NFC title game or bust for Garrett this season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then in that case, this is a pro Dak thread, and not a pro Jason Garrett thread.

For some asinine reason, we're just gonna throw out all the years before Dak put these wins together. So if we only care about the Dak years, then what's your point about JG?

No, you’re just confused. He can make the point that the coaches aren’t terrible and shouldn’t be so widely hated and use the team’s performance under Dak as the sole supporting argument for that point.

Nav22

Reaction score
Some of the hate is certainly warranted. Garrett gets too conservative at times.

But I’m convinced that we could win the Super Bowl and a large faction of this board would say that we did it “despite Garrett/Linehan.”

Saying “I was wrong” is not an easy thing for some people to do.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
The Garrett fans will do anything to pump up their guy. We get it, he knows how to dominate the regular season! If you want to crown him then go ahead...but I'll go with the coach that knows X's and O's and will embarrass Garrett's team in the playoffs anyday - en route to the conference championship game

Garrett has 2 good regular seasons in his 8 years of being the head coach. Those are what you call outliers. 3 straight 8-8 seasons to begin his career. 12-4. Followed by 4-12. So 5 seasons in, he was exactly .500. Then 13-3 followed by 9-7. He never has any ounce of consistent success. He's not a regular champion in any definition. He's the definition of mediocre.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
No, you’re just confused. He can make the point that the coaches aren’t terrible and shouldn’t be so widely hated and use the team’s performance under Dak as the sole supporting argument for that point.

He can indeed make a bad point with weak arguments. He can indeed.

If the only variable we are isolating in this stat study is Dak's presence, then this is a Dak-centric stat. Or are we to throw out controlling variables as a guiding rule of stats, too?

I've got nothing against T-RO. I just am in firm disagreement with this argument and the point he is making here.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Everyone of those teams not including the Rams have been to the NFC championship. Everyone of those teams have been to the Superbowl not including Rams and Vikings. All with in the past 10 years.

Dallas hasn't been out of the divisional round even with a couple number 1 seeds. Garrett has 1 playoff win in 8 years despite having 12-4 season and a 13-3 season.

Yeah but how many of those teams are the 2016-2018 regular season champs?!!!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He can indeed make a bad point with weak arguments. He can indeed.

I've got nothing against T-RO. I just am in firm disagreement with this argument and the point he is making here.

There’s nothing weak about the argument. It’s perfectly sound to make the point that the coaches can’t be terrible with the record they’ve had over the past three seasons.

If you don’t want to buy it, given the evidence he’s provided that’s fine. Fans disregard evidence to believe what they want to believe all the time.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
There’s nothing weak about the argument. It’s perfectly sound to make the point that the coaches can’t be terrible with the record they’ve had over the past three seasons.

If you don’t want to buy it, given the evidence he’s provided that’s fine. Fans disregard evidence to believe what they want to believe all the time.

Indeed, just as you disregard all of the evidence of Garrett's career except for this cherry picked time frame. Nice.

Arguments are not strong just because you like what they have to say.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Yes...Funny how when the season's situation was crucial (team at 5-7)...Garrett got the team winning...and
Funny how Garrett and his coaches bested the Saints in a crucial home game

You want to defend that linebacker from the Eagles and his mouth--after Garrett's team bested them a few weeks ago...and Dallas has beat them 5 of last 8? And you want to use that Eagles clown as some sort of proof of something. Seriously?

Eagles won a Super Bowl last year. Won 3 playoff games last season. Which matches the Cowboys' total since 1996. How delusional are you really? You keep bringing up regular season junk and all these arbitrary time frames. I mean since we are using your time frame for success, Eagles have us trumped big time.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
There are 50 fans on this board who-- if they got their wishes--would drive this franchise into a ditch in 10 minutes.

These are the same whiny critics who:
-Slammed the Vander Esch pick
-Whined that we didn't get big 340 pound run stoppers and would get gouged in the run
-Opined that we would rue the release of kicker Dan Bailey
-Fussed that we didn't splurge in free agency (on what turned out to be JAGS and losers)
etc
And it AMAZES ME how it catches fire and the sheep line up and keep regurgitating things they know nothing about. So they are peaked on looking for mistakes and then post the most ridiculous verbage on how so and so sucks.

Yet to only 3 games later "well, I have to eat crow" flag comes out.

Then they start the whole process over again or you don't hear a peep out of them.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I wouldn't say Jason Garrett is terrible. He isn't terrible. Chip Kelly was terrible.

But he isn't good either, and his track record demonstrates that fact to all but the willfully naive or impressively stubborn.

(Btw, Chip Kelly had 26 wins and a playoff appearance in 3 years with Philly...)

Zman5

Reaction score
Dallas coaches have won the most games over the past three years. Have they done so because they inherited the talent like the Rams have...an elite QB, Future hall-of-fame d-tackles, all-pros at numerous other positions? Nope!

In a passing-centric league, do they have a premium stud QB like Brees, Goff, Wilson, Rogers? Nope!

Until this year, has this Cowboys coaching group had highly regarded defensive personnel? Nope!

Yet they've won and won some more.

That Rams' elite QB looked like a bust until they got a new scheme and a coach. Funny how that works.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Indeed, just as you disregard all of the evidence of Garrett's career except for this cherry picked time frame. Nice.

Arguments are not strong just because you like what they have to say.

His argument holds if you include all the evidence of Garrett’s career. That’s the important distinction you’re missing.

His argument isn’t valid because I agree with it. I agree with it because it’s valid.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
His argument holds if you include all the evidence of Garrett’s career. That’s the important distinction you’re missing.

His argument isn’t valid because I agree with it. I agree with it because it’s valid.

Ah yes, I too remember all those awesome playoff victories and Lombardi trophies I got to watch Romo and Witten secure.

Oh wait, no I don't. Because it didn't happen.

But that's ok because I remember, off the top of my head, our regular season cumulative record for the last 10 years.

Oh wait, no I don't. Because no one cares.

T-RO

Reaction score
Eagles won a Super Bowl last year. Won 3 playoff games last season. Which matches the Cowboys' total since 1996. How delusional are you really? You keep bringing up regular season junk and all these arbitrary time frames. I mean since we are using your time frame for success, Eagles have us trumped big time.

The Eagles had a great year. It's now looking a bit flukey, considering what came before it and after it.

But you've wandered off into the weeds. I'll help you re-calibrate what we are actually debating. This is the proposition, pro or con:
Based on the past 3 years of results...does Garrett deserve derision and hate?

In those 3 years the team was won more *regular season* games than anyone in the conference.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
The front office has been a much larger hindrance than the coaching in recent history.

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
In the past 3 NFL seasons here are the NFC leaders in wins:

Cowboys 29
Saints 28
Vikings 27
Rams 26
Seahawks 26
Eagles 26
Falcons 25
Panthers 23
Packers 23

Winning is HARD. And not a single team in the NFC has been better in recent years in consistently winning games than the team Garrett, Linehan and Marinelli are coaching. Not one team.

And what do these coaches get in return for their accomplishments? Endless scorn, derision, personal attacks from embarrassing fools.

It really is cringe-worthy to hear some of you rant like children.

Imagine what this record would be if we didn’t have a history of melting the 4th quarter when we already had a lead... last year’s seahawks game still annoys me...

Zman5

Reaction score
Some of the hate is certainly warranted. Garrett gets too conservative at times.

But I’m convinced that we could win the Super Bowl and a large faction of this board would say that we did it “despite Garrett/Linehan.”

Saying “I was wrong” is not an easy thing for some people to do.

We won a SB with B. Switzer. Anything is possible. But how much of that SB win do you think was talent and how much was coaching?

T-RO

Reaction score
And a supplemental question here is this:
Provided as an absolute fact that no coach wins without talent...has Garrett ever enjoyed the type of talent that *should have* won a Super Bowl?

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I mean, really, you're asking for the NFL version of a participation trophy.

You didn't win anything lasting and no one cares anymore about that hot streak you had, but by God, Jason Garrett you sure tried real hard and did ok until December ended, so you're a good coach too!

Go Jason!

:thumbup: