Cowboy fans finally won

nobody

Reaction score
For a generation going back now almost 25 years I’ve argued how Jerry was intent on proving he could win without a proven HC so he could put to rest the stigma with Jimmy. And besides the lone exception up until now when he hired Parcells which most figured was to gain support for his new stadium , Jerry hasn’t pursued proven HC’s.

I vigorously argued for years to force Jerry to change or make a decision he wasn’t comfortable with for the good of Cowboys Football as it became apparent to me it was more about his selfish pursuit and passions than what was best for Cowboys Football.

After Parcells I had really given up all hope Jerry would ever look for another proven HC as once his stadium was built, game over. He no longer needed the local fan base support as corporate sponsors and the ever changing demographic from out of state residents moving in bringing their fandom to fill the stadium.

Up until now Jerry appeared relentless and nothing was going to stop him but perhaps himself. And in the end this is what occurred. He finally went too far with his celebrity promoting of his product touting the talent and expectations for the season then when it didn’t meet it he bashed his coaching all in an attempt to illustrate he saw the issues.

It backfired on him this time as he’d already seen fan apathy growing at an alarming rate as local viewership was at its lowest in Decades. He was losing public opinion. And then Troy dropped the boom with Jerrys toxic comments after the Patriot loss. I knew at that time it was over which I presented a farewell in the other forum .

And the fact he didn’t want it to happen letting him go should give us all reason to pause because whatever the results presented Jerry was still determined to do it his way even at the end squirming to find a way to sell it delaying the decision in yet another dysfunctional maneuver.

This is all Jerry’s fault and I think he knew it from the over hype of the season to his touting of talent to the bashing of coaching ...ultimately Jerry went too far. And thanks to Troy for pointing it all out.

In the end Jerry is all about public opinion. He makes every effort to sway it with his celebrity status and promotion of his product. But this time it was too strong for him to sway. We saw his frustration when he knew he couldn’t win.

it just makes me sad to know that we could have influenced Jerry years ago if we’d of stayed away forcing him to change. While I campaigned to force the issue I never really knew how he’d react.

Would he double down , sell or move the team or continue with his egoistical, selfish foolishness. Well, we finally got our answer. What a shame we wasted an entire generation finding out. We can’t get that back. But at least we know the threat of losing it will force the change we’d hope for. The will of the fans finally won.

I agee, but you're the most mercurial dude, shifting with any wind. You were arguing recently about how Garrett was the only option because he was the best puppet we were going to get and we should accept that.

MikeB80

Reaction score
In the end, Jerry won't fire McCarthy, McCarthy will tender his resignation because he is tired of Jerry's BS meddling. Mark my words.

more than likely he will grow sick of his undercutting his authority. Hopefully he can win big in one of the first two years...if not who knows what will happen.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
For a generation going back now almost 25 years I’ve argued how Jerry was intent on proving he could win without a proven HC so he could put to rest the stigma with Jimmy. And besides the lone exception up until now when he hired Parcells which most figured was to gain support for his new stadium , Jerry hasn’t pursued proven HC’s.

I vigorously argued for years to force Jerry to change or make a decision he wasn’t comfortable with for the good of Cowboys Football as it became apparent to me it was more about his selfish pursuit and passions than what was best for Cowboys.

You have vigorously argued that no good coach would come to Dallas, Garrett would be the best coach we could possibly obtain, and people who wanted to move on from Garrett just didn’t understand how Jerry operates. You weren’t trying to force Jerry to make a decision he was uncomfortable with. You were trying to get everyone to quit criticizing Garrett and accept him as the best possible coach we could have.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agee, but you're the most mercurial dude, shifting with any wind. You were arguing recently about how Garrett was the only option because he was the best puppet we were going to get and we should accept that.
I hear ya. I was often torn with Garrett as I saw his flaws on Game Day as well. I had lost all hope with Jerry and truly believed Jason was all we were going to get.

So, I looked for his positive influences and assets while truly liking his Cowboy connection. It gave me something to root for in an otherwise hopeless situation.

Plus I enjoy taking on the underdog role against the Lynch Mob and bullying. And in my own way a mockery of Jerry’s dysfunction.

Last edited:

plymkr

Reaction score
Thanks to Troy's words, and then coming out of nowhere just before and just after New Year's Day some additional media talking heads latching on to the topic, and then the non-cynical fans around here who kept hope alive and whose posts Jerry no doubt took to heart.... we have, what amounts to, Bill Parcells 2.0... at least in terms of the authority structure.

(Hopefully, McC exceeds Parcells both in terms of success and longevity, of course.)

But more seriously, we do have Troy to thank for his lighting that fuse. Troy may end up being deserving of leading credit for turning us around in the early 90s, and now again 30 years later.
Can someone remind me what Troy actually said.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I think Jerry is getting desperate to win and it made him go after a proven quantity instead of a stooge.

Same reason he broke down and hired Parcells.
Excellent point.....….Look, not trying to be morbid here, but Jerry is 77. He probably doesn't have another 10 years for a coach to learn on the job.

That is why he decided to hire a head coach that had lots of experience, especially playoff experience.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Finally reached critical mass,
At least with the fan base on this forum

It really did reach a tipping point. When Reality put a poll up asking the fans if they wanted to make the playoffs, half the board said no, they were scared Jerry would use that as an excuse to keep Garrett.

When over half your fan base is rooting for losses to get the HC fired, you have a very serious problem.

If they would have kept Garrett, they would have risked losing a lot of fans, over half the fans on this board alone said they would not even bother to watch the games next year if Garrett got resigned. Jerry had no choice, he knew keeping Garrett was unacceptable to the fan base.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Can someone remind me what Troy actually said.

During the Pats game, Troy just finally had enough and went nuclear on Garrett. From not going for it on 4th down, to not having the punt returns move up in a 30 mph wind storm, to wasting timeouts, he just unloaded on Garrett and said the problem with Dallas was "just bad coaching".

I put Troy's damning quote in my sig, kinda like how Idgit put all those quotes in his sig about how great Clappy was. Well I put Troy's quote in mine, LOL.

Jerry must have been listening because it was right after the Pats game when he unloaded on this coaching staff and ironically, never spoke about Garrett in the long-term ever again. Personally, I think Jerry decided right then and there after the Pats game that Garrett was gone.

nobody

Reaction score
I hear ya. I was often torn with Garrett as I saw his flaws on Game Day as well. I had lost all hope with Jerry and truly believed Jason was all we were going to get.

So, I looked for his positive influences and assets while truly liking his Cowboy connection. It gave me something to root for in an otherwise hopeless situation.

Plus I enjoy taking on the underdog role against the Lynch Mob and bullying. And in my own way a mockery of Jerry’s dysfunction.

I think you were wrong about one thing though. I don't think anything we did would have influenced him earlier. I think his age more than anything is the main influence....so it HAD to take until now to start seeing changes. He's feeling the years and wants the adoration a championship will bring.

It did help that certain talking heads finally turned on him, like Aikman. The fans? They're nothing to Jerry. But mainly it was age.

SSoup

Reaction score
Our fanbase has really lowered the bar if this is what we consider "winning."

Jerry hired a respected, established head coach. Something the original post admits he's done before.

Wake me up when he hires an actual G.M. instead of doing it himself. Because that's the basic first move that every other pro sports owner makes, and Jerry still refuses. Because he'd rather the team lose with his fingerprints all over it than see us win with others getting credit. Because it's only fun for him if he's dressing up and playing pretend as a GM.

We're in the same boat we've been in for decades, hoping the team catches lightning in a bottle despite him. This isn't what winning looks like.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you were wrong about one thing though. I don't think anything we did would have influenced him earlier. I think his age more than anything is the main influence....so it HAD to take until now to start seeing changes. He's feeling the years and wants the adoration a championship will bring.

It did help that certain talking heads finally turned on him, like Aikman. The fans? They're nothing to Jerry. But mainly it was age.

His sons pushed him to act as well. Stephen set up the meeting with McCarthy and even Jerry Jr gave him a push to hire McCarthy. They knew they both wanted Garrett out, even if Jerry was still a bit undecided and hung up on how that might 'look'. He was worried about hiring McCarthy so soon after 'firing' Garrett. Neither of his sons were, they just knew that Garrett wasn't the answer and that this charade had to end.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Thanks to Troy's words, and then coming out of nowhere just before and just after New Year's Day some additional media talking heads latching on to the topic, and then the non-cynical fans around here who kept hope alive and whose posts Jerry no doubt took to heart.... we have, what amounts to, Bill Parcells 2.0... at least in terms of the authority structure.

(Hopefully, McC exceeds Parcells both in terms of success and longevity, of course.)

But more seriously, we do have Troy to thank for his lighting that fuse. Troy may end up being deserving of leading credit for turning us around in the early 90s, and now again 30 years later.

Troy attacked old jerrah with the fury he would come at the OL, if they did not perform up to standard on the sidelines. Thanks Troy! for still having that fire inside of you.

HotDog37

Reaction score
He couldn't, can't, and likely never will fully admit that he was 100% wrong about Garrett as a head coach.

I do believe that is 100% a certainty. His pride has cost this franchise 20+ years of mediocrity and it's still on the clock.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I disagree. In the end it was the public pressure from media and humiliation Troys bashing brought not mortality cause if you noticed Jerry was resistant all the way to the end of his decision meaning it was the last thing he wanted to do and wouldn’t have without that public scrutiny and fear it would threaten his label.

nobody

Reaction score
I disagree. In the end it was the public pressure from media and humiliation Troys bashing brought not mortality cause if you noticed Jerry was resistant all the way to the end of his decision meaning it was the last thing he wanted to do and wouldn’t have without that public scrutiny and fear it would threaten his label.

In any case, we're fortunate that the Cowboys now have a better chance to achieve post-season success!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It really did reach a tipping point. When Reality put a poll up asking the fans if they wanted to make the playoffs, half the board said no, they were scared Jerry would use that as an excuse to keep Garrett.

When over half your fan base is rooting for losses to get the HC fired, you have a very serious problem.

If they would have kept Garrett, they would have risked losing a lot of fans, over half the fans on this board alone said they would not even bother to watch the games next year if Garrett got resigned. Jerry had no choice, he knew keeping Garrett was unacceptable to the fan base.
Yep, i was in the group not wanting playoffs