Cowboy insider Pat Doney says McCarthy is underappreciated

fredp22

Reaction score
I don't care who Drew played for, doesn't mean he knows coaching better than anyone else who hasn't coached....lol

thats exactly what it means. He played the game and won for 11 years straight. How can you say he doesnt know anything about coaches???

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It's interesting that Quinn always ran his defense like he did in Seattle, but not in Dallas.

Dre11

Reaction score
story isnt new -McCarthy was plan B when a deal for Payton fell through. Gayle Benson didnt want to lose 2 big name people from his sports teams.
heres the write up (I think this is from Florios book)

It was a delicate situation, for various reasons. First, the Cowboys had a coach. Jones wouldn’t have fired Garrett unless he knew he could have gotten Payton. Second, league rules (specifically, the Rooney Rule) require a diverse and inclusive search. Third, Jones had to ultimately know that, after going through the motions of a search, he’d be able to get Payton.

So a deal was worked out, behind the scenes. The Saints would have allowed the Cowboys to hire Payton. The Cowboys would have compensated the Saints for the rights to Payton’s contract. And Payton would have signed a new contract with the Cowboys.

It was ready to go. It was happening. It was locked, and it was loaded. Then came Monday, January 28. On that day, New Orleans Pelicans forward Anthony Davis announced he would not sign another contract with the team, and he requested a trade. (In July, the Pelicans traded him to the Lakers.)

Gayle Benson owns both the Pelicans and the Saints. Saints G.M. Mickey Loomis was, as of January 2019, the executive vice president of basketball operations with the Pelicans. Once Davis made clear his intention to leave New Orleans, Loomis told Payton that Loomis couldn’t be the common thread between a pair of such high-profile Louisiana departures.

That ended it, just like that. The Saints were no longer interested in essentially trading Payton to the Cowboys. In September, Payton signed a new contract. That deal has three years left on it.

Lol..you got your theory wrong, McCarthy wasn't a plan b, McCarthy wasn't hired till 2020, Jason Garrett coached the entire 2019 season, and McCarthy was the only candidate in their search 2020 nice try though...lol

Dre11

Reaction score
thats exactly what it means. He played the game and won for 11 years straight. How can you say he doesnt know anything about coaches???

No it doesn't mean he know coaches.

GINeric

Reaction score
Rodgers made a good point about MM- said he has a low football IQ. You can see that in the way MM cant run a 2 minute clock and the way he didnt pick up up on the team penalty problem (lead the league) until after the playoff loss
Drew's forgot more football than this beat writer knows. Why does he have to be on the team? he played the game and for the best coach in the game. The beat writer's never played and isnt as you say "on the building everyday"
I stand by my original comment- I value Drews comments over some baitclick beat writer

Well Rodgers football IQ must not be too much better than MM because he hasn't been to or won another Superbowl WITHOUT MM. Why don't somebody ask Rodgers about that???

GINeric

Reaction score
???
MM last 2 years at Packers 7-9 and 6-9-1 didnt make playoffs in both
next 3 years without MM 13-3, 13-3, 13-4 made playoffs all 3 and conf game 2 0f 3

Rodgers has been MVP twice since MM left and PB player last 4 or under both coaches.
MM in 2 years here- 1 playoff wildcard game-lost

sorry not saying I like Rodgers as a person but I back him in the Rodgers vs MM conflict. So did the Packers as MM was the one let go

Again.... how many Superbowls have he gone to or won since MM left??? MVPs are cool, but the game is played to win it all.... how many Superbowls did this MVP go to, or win after MM???

I'll wait......

Reaction score

He hasn't impressed me with anything yet, was hoping he'd get Dak straightened but at this point I'd settle for any improvement. I'm not going to start demanding he get fired though like some of the unwashed masses here, the head coach isn't the main problem in Dallas, never has been,,,, well, maybe Campo, lol.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I remember when Garrett said we were getting a new kicker, and Jerry threw together a quick press conference saying "no we are not gtting a new kicker". I'd HATE to be the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, for my current salary.
Uhm, I'd do it anyway, just for the heck of it. Could at least do all those hemorrhoid and toilet cleaner commercials afterwards! Hell of a time!

:omg:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Coaches are pretty easy targets for the fan base. Fans view most of them as totally clueless when it comes to football, but in reality even the worst coaches in the league (Even Garrett) would run circles around 99% of even die hard fans in an actual football conversation.

Agree 100%

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yeah...coupled with the major injury to Dak being out for the season, his first year doesn't count. But last year and beyond, is what he should be judged on. My biggest beef with McCarthy (no pun intended - LOL) is his clock mismanagement. If he can somehow improve on this, I'll like him a lot better!!

Exactly....... wish you could read Bob Strum's article ( can't link for obvious reasons) from a couple of days ago on what went wrong in the playoff loss to the 49ers. Some the highlights........
  • Dak, McCarthy, and Kellen Moore are being blamed but there were much deeper issues
  • The biggest takeaway was how badly the offensive line lost battles
  • Connor Williams struggled all day, giving up multiple pressures alone with several penalties
  • Biadasz had a cleaner day but struggled with run blocking and a few pre-snap recognition that put Dak at a disadvantage
  • Surprisingly Tyron Smith played his worst game of the season ( not even close). This might explain why OT was a priority draft target.
  • Even Zack Martin struggled against Arik Armstead but he thought this more exception than the rule ( just a bad day in the office for Zack)
  • Bottom line, as he put it, they whipped upfront
  • The defense was not as bad but couldn't stop the run.
  • Parsons and DLaw played well but no flash plays in such an important game
The bottom, according to Strum, the 49ers dominated the trenches.

Keep in mind they beat Rogers and Packers the following week. Not excusing our loss but it highlights one thing, win the trenches.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Exactly....... wish you could read Bob Strum's article ( can't link for obvious reasons) from a couple of days ago on what went wrong in the playoff loss to the 49ers. Some the highlights........
  • Dak, McCarthy, and Kellen Moore are being blamed but there were much deeper issues
  • The biggest takeaway was how badly the offensive line lost battles
  • Connor Williams struggled all day, giving up multiple pressures alone with several penalties
  • Biadasz had a cleaner day but struggled with run blocking and a few pre-snap recognition that put Dak at a disadvantage
  • Surprisingly Tyron Smith played his worst game of the season ( not even close). This might explain why OT was a priority draft target.
  • Even Zack Martin struggled against Arik Armstead but he thought this more exception than the rule ( just a bad day in the office for Zack)
  • Bottom line, as he put it, they whipped upfront
  • The defense was not as bad but couldn't stop the run.
  • Parsons and DLaw played well but no flash plays in such an important game
The bottom, according to Strum, the 49ers dominated the trenches.

Keep in mind they beat Rogers and Packers the following week. Not excusing our loss but it highlights one thing, win the trenches.

Very good post and I agree, this was a big factor. But the cluelessness of other important players, which I will not name here was also astonishing. Three and outs are not always on the o line.