Signed by Cowboys Cowboy sign Leighton Vander-Esch to 1-yr deal

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let me see the dollar figure before I cast judgment.

If he signed for anything more than 3-4 million, it's dumb.

But I guess this is their solution to being too cheap to make a real run at Wagner, who is a much better LB.

Yeah. It’s about the money they’re paying for LVE.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good bridge signing that doesn't prevent the team from drafting a future starter. He had his struggles when the DL was hurt, but played real well down the stretch. He still will most likely handle that 2 down role, but he can play all the spots if injuries occur.

jnday

Reaction score
This is the big defensive free agent that Cowboy fans have been waiting for. Who needs Wagner when LVE can be signed?

Robster8989

Reaction score
Yep.
Rolling back the same team, minus our best wideout, one of our best pass rushers and one of our best Tackles.
I think this means we are out of the running for Wagner.
LVE cannot fill run lanes effectively. He gets pushed out of plays by OLinemen. I actually would have preferred a proven run stuffer like KJ Wright over LVE coming back. Of course Wagner would be the bomb.
So let's review.
The 2 guys we really needed to rsign on the D (Gregory and Kearse), as of now are both NOT on the team.
No run stuffing DT or LB signed.
So as of now, we are worse at Edge and S, and not any better at DT or LB.
What a ____show.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I am hoping that with a year in Quinn's system he makes things awful difficult for the front office next year. I think he has a little Bruce Carter system learning disability.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I am a Boise guy and I really like LVE, but this does not please me in the least. He would be fine next to Parsons if we had a strong DL, but we are going to roll out DLaw and a bunch of "try-hard" guys upfront. You need a Wagner if you are not going to be serious about your front 4, but no.

We are going to do just enough to win the East and then get steamrolled in the playoffs. Yay!!

Carson

Reaction score
This is the big defensive free agent that Cowboy fans have been waiting for. Who needs Wagner when LVE can be signed?
I think the drop off from Vander Esch compared to Armstrong is much less.

I feel like Armstrong flashed in multiple starts and looked good. Just going to be a lot to go through an entire season. LVE has done it before and looked much better near the end of the season.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Won't complain about this, but we all know it means they are out on Wags now

Carson

Reaction score
vander-esch.gif

Creeper

Reaction score
Doesn't say how much but I like the deal for both sides. LVE gets to show us if the last 5 games of 2021 were real or a fluke. If he gets hurt again or plays like Jaylon Smith then they are only on the hook for one more year. But is he shows up then they can try to extend him during the season.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
No matter what the FO does, you ppl are going to criticize it. Those darn Jones boys can do nothing to please you. :rolleyes:

MyFairLady

Reaction score
One year deals are NFL gold. I was ready to move on from LVE but I will give almost anyone a shot on a one year deal. If the ball out great let them sign a big deal somewhere else. If they stink you cut them loose. No harm done.

quickccc

Reaction score
My guess- Probably one year 4 million deal.
Very low to no interest on the FA market. Details to come soon.

- This probably puts any last damper of talk of Wagner signing here. Remains to be seen if it eliminates any talk of
a high regraded LB in early rounds of NFL Draft.

- Another typical Money Ball approach strategy.
Decent/serviceable only player at best, who knows Quinn's scheme.