Twitter: Cowboy Tweets 1/4/18

visionary

Reaction score
Mike fisher is on twitter making it seem like Scott Linehan has somehow wrestled control and has the front office...aka jerry's ear. Anybody else understanding it that way or is fisher just being goofy like usual?

"Wrestled control" :laugh::flagwave:

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I think any talk of a "2nd round tender" on David Irving is asinine.

May as well kiss him goodbye now.

The Patriots would only be too happy to pilfer talent like that for the pittance of their #64 draft pick.
Not sure of the rules, but would JJ not have the opportunity to match any offer Irving might receive even with a second round tender offered? If so, he could simply match an offer from a team picking down low in the second round if he didn't feel as though he was getting decent value. I'm simply not sure on the rules there.
Edit: Just looked it up...teams can match any offer or opt to take the pick. Of course, if the offer is unreasonably high, then you might have a problem.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Misleading info.

They save 3M from cutting Scandrick, not 1.4M.

The 3M is the number the teams looks at when making a decision.

They save 12.5M from cutting Dez not the 8.5M that is often referenced. The team is not concerned that 4M of the savings occurs next season.
That is not correct

How much they save against the cap is very important year to year

They only save 1.4m in cap space by cutting OScan this year........they save 3m in cash but the cap number is more important to being in compliance

What you are talking about is a more Macro, 3 year look at the cap but saying they save 12.5m against the cap by cutting Dez is inaccurate ....... they save 12.5m in cash

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure of the rules, but would JJ not have the opportunity to match any offer Irving might receive even with a second round tender offered? If so, he could simply match an offer from a team picking down low in the second round if he didn't feel as though he was getting decent value. I'm simply not sure on the rules there.

I believe the opportunity to match would Ben the same, yes. But then you're always opening yourself up for some type of poison pill offer from a team in better cap shape than you are.

I don't think it's worth the $1 million difference between the 1st and 2nd round tenders to risk it, do you?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Edit: Just looked it up...teams can match any offer or opt to take the pick. Of course, if the offer is unreasonably high, then you might have a problem.
You are right about matching but why invite that problem instead of spending the extra 1m and going with the 1st round tender

We want to keep Irving next year without extending him at huge number....... that is a decision for 2019

LandryFan

Reaction score
I believe the opportunity to match would Ben the same, yes. But then you're always opening yourself up for some type of poison pill offer from a team in better cap shape than you are.

I don't think it's worth the $1 million difference between the 1st and 2nd round tenders to risk it, do you?
I certainly wouldn't risk it. That said, I thought the league outlawed the use of "poison pills" a few years back. At any rate, if you want to keep him, give him a 1st round tender and you're pretty much guaranteed to keep him (or get a good pick in return).

LandryFan

Reaction score
You are right about matching but why invite that problem instead of spending the extra 1m and going with the 1st round tender

We want to keep Irving next year without extending him at huge number....... that is a decision for 2019
I agree. That's the route I would choose.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't risk it. That said, I thought the league outlawed the use of "poison pills" a few years back. At any rate, if you want to keep him, give him a 1st round tender and you're pretty much guaranteed to keep him (or get a good pick in return).
It is like checking in poker when you have a strong hand and giving your opponent a chance to catch his inside straight on the River......just make a big enough bet to scare him off

gmoney112

Reaction score
I thought you just had to pay the tender and you're good.

Ie. It doesn't matter what they offer, if we agree to the tender then he's ours. So there wouldn't really be a reason to increase the tender as a 1st rounder.

Difference being, 2nd round tender is obviously someone you want to keep via lower salary, while 1st round tender is definitely trade bait.

LandryFan

Reaction score
It is like checking in poker when you have a strong hand and giving your opponent a chance to catch his inside straight on the River......just make a big enough bet to scare him off
Great analogy!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How could that possibly be?

What coordinator did less with more in 2017?

The guy should be out on his ***, much less have anyone's ear.
I was not of fan of the play calling and play design this year or not giving Chaz Green help.

Having said that, Linehan was limited due to personnel. The receiving group didn't compliment each other. Any one of their limitations might be OK but when combined it was a really limited group.

The QB is in his 2nd year so he can't overcome limited receivers as well as a veteran might.

Dez - Struggles to get open or catch consistently. Not a good route runner, unpredictable. Lacks speed.

Witten - Slow.

TWill - OK speed but not a burner to offset other slow players. Can only catch certain types of throws. Short passes get on him before he can react and he is not a deep ball receiver.

Beasley - Niche player. Quicker but lacks deep speed or run after the catch elusiveness.

Butler - Good deep ball receiver but nothing else.

They got away from having Dez run option routes because he screws them up. Romo would coach him up on the field but Dak is just a 2nd year player that needs to focus on his own job.

Pick any player and replace him with something that compliments the others and everybody gets better.

Beasley - With Dez/TWill/Witten they need a Tyreek Hill type of big play and RAC threat.

Witten - With a slow #1 WR they need more speed and RAC ability at TE.

Dez - Get a legit #1 WR and everybody else gets better. Witten would be OK if the receivers were not all possession types.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was not of fan of the play calling and play design this year or not giving Chaz Green help.

Having said that, Linehan was limited due to personnel. The receiving group didn't compliment each other. Any one of their limitations might be OK but when combined it was a really limited group.

The QB is in his 2nd year so he can't overcome limited receivers as well as a veteran might.

Dez - Struggles to get open or catch consistently. Not a good route runner, unpredictable. Lacks speed.

Witten - Slow.

TWill - OK speed but not a burner to offset other slow players. Can only catch certain types of throws. Short passes get on him before he can react and he is not a deep ball receiver.

Beasley - Niche player. Quicker but lacks deep speed or run after the catch elusiveness.

Butler - Good deep ball receiver but nothing else.

They got away from having Dez run option routes because he screws them up. Romo would coach him up on the field but Dak is just a 2nd year player that needs to focus on his own job.

Pick any player and replace him with something that compliments the others and everybody gets better.

Beasley - With Dez/TWill/Witten they need a Tyreek Hill type of big play and RAC threat.

Witten - With a slow #1 WR they need more speed and RAC ability at TE.

Dez - Get a legit #1 WR and everybody else gets better. Witten would be OK if the receivers were not all possession types.

And yet, despite all of these factors, Linehan still had the uncanny ability to abandon the run at the drop of a hat, and at the worst possible times?

Or never learn a thing to take out his lame run-pass options at the worst possible moment?

Sorry, this isn't directed at you, but I think the guy is an idiot when it comes to fundamental football.

And I'll never forgive him for hanging poor Green out to dry, on the field and then off of it as he ran away from reporters with his "no comment" after that game. Gutless.

Nexx

Reaction score
I think any talk of a "2nd round tender" on David Irving is asinine.

May as well kiss him goodbye now.

The Patriots would only be too happy to pilfer talent like that for the pittance of their #64 draft pick.

2nd round pick for a guy you plucked off a practice squad, who doesnt really fit your scheme "hes a 3-4 End imho", who has been suspended before, now has lingering concussion symptoms? sign me up!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is not correct

How much they save against the cap is very important year to year

They only save 1.4m in cap space by cutting OScan this year........they save 3m in cash but the cap number is more important to being in compliance

What you are talking about is a more Macro, 3 year look at the cap but saying they save 12.5m against the cap by cutting Dez is inaccurate ....... they save 12.5m in cash

3M is the number the team looks at for Scandrick as long as they are not maxed about against the cap with no ability to restructure.

If Scandrick was scheduled to make 20M but would only result in a 500K savings in 2018 due to dead money they still wouldn't keep him even if the coaches begged them because they're not going to pay him 20M to be on the team for 2018.

If you have 50K in your checking account and a car dealer offered you a car for 20K cash or 40K + interest with a loan, you would not pay double for the car just to keep more money in your account now.

There is no danger in restructuring other contracts. It just gives the player most of his salary in March instead of during the season. The salary is guaranteed after game 1 regardless. The only risk is for a player that you would cut if he got injured in training camp. I don't think they're going to cut Tyron in training camp even if he gets injured; therefore, there is no reason not to restructure his contract if you need cap space now.

In the Scandrick 20M example dumping him gives you 20M extra over the combination of 2018 and 2019. That 20M pays for restructuring Tyron's contract in 2019 and beyond even if 500K savings is in 2018 and 19.5M is in 2019.

Remember there is no interest on cap "loans" like with real money.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And yet, despite all of these factors, Linehan still had the uncanny ability to abandon the run at the drop of a hat, and at the worst possible times?

Or never learn a thing to take out his lame run-pass options at the worst possible moment?

Sorry, this isn't directed at you, but I think the guy is an idiot when it comes to fundamental football.

And I'll never forgive him for hanging poor Green out to dry, on the field and then off of it as he ran away from reporters with his "no comment" after that game. Gutless.

Again I'm not a big fan of his; however, some examples that have been referenced were not really accurate.

The goalline sequence in Seattle where people say he called a pass 3 times after starting at the 2 yard line. He did call a pass on 1st down but then a holding call on 2nd down put them at 2nd and goal from the 12 yard line. Most OCs likely call a pass on that play more often than not. Then 3rd down was an obvious passing situation. Without the penalty they might have run it on 3rd down.

Summary: I would prefer someone else but with improved receivers and hopefully a better situation at backup OT, they could get back to what they did in 2016 or better.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2nd round pick for a guy you plucked off a practice squad, who doesnt really fit your scheme "hes a 3-4 End imho", who has been suspended before, now has lingering concussion symptoms? sign me up!

Seriously? A guy you've been able to plug and play all over your line wherever you've need him and he's been successful?

Yeah, who has room for that guy.

Let's overpay Crawford to be a fraction of what Irving is...

Don't "sign me up"!