Twitter: Cowboy Tweets 1/4/18

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again I'm not a big fan of his; however, some examples that have been referenced were not really accurate.

The goalline sequence in Seattle where people say he called a pass 3 times after starting at the 2 yard line. He did call a pass on 1st down but then a holding call on 2nd down put them at 2nd and goal from the 12 yard line. Most OCs likely call a pass on that play more often than not. Then 3rd down was an obvious passing situation. Without the penalty they might have run it on 3rd down.

"Most OC's" don't have the NFL leading rusher or the best offensive line in the league. Linehan does.

And, again, that Seattle game was the exact same mistake they made in week one, just sixteen weeks later. He didn't learn anything.

Summary: I would prefer someone else but with improved receivers and hopefully a better situation at backup OT, they could get back to what they did in 2016 or better.

I'd prefer someone else too.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
You sound like a man in dire need of finding a new team.
Can we really blame a fan for their desperate or angry attitudes? If fans start leaving would they be shallow fans? Yes, but living what live here, I don't blame em'

HanD

Reaction score
Again I'm not a big fan of his; however, some examples that have been referenced were not really accurate.

The goalline sequence in Seattle where people say he called a pass 3 times after starting at the 2 yard line. He did call a pass on 1st down but then a holding call on 2nd down put them at 2nd and goal from the 12 yard line. Most OCs likely call a pass on that play more often than not. Then 3rd down was an obvious passing situation. Without the penalty they might have run it on 3rd down.

Summary: I would prefer someone else but with improved receivers and hopefully a better situation at backup OT, they could get back to what they did in 2016 or better.

The most egregious play calling IMO was a pass to dez in the endzone against gb that stopped the clock and left rodgers with time to comeback. We were running it down their throats at will on that drive.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The most egregious play calling IMO was a pass to dez in the endzone against gb that stopped the clock and left rodgers with time to comeback. We were running it down their throats at will on that drive.
Yes, I remember that. It was dumb.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Not sure of the rules, but would JJ not have the opportunity to match any offer Irving might receive even with a second round tender offered? If so, he could simply match an offer from a team picking down low in the second round if he didn't feel as though he was getting decent value. I'm simply not sure on the rules there.
Edit: Just looked it up...teams can match any offer or opt to take the pick. Of course, if the offer is unreasonably high, then you might have a problem.
Hasn't Lawrence indicated that the two sides are in communication and everything is proceeding accordingly?

waving monkey

Reaction score

extenuating circumstances will not be considered

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Hasn't Lawrence indicated that the two sides are in communication and everything is proceeding accordingly?
I had not read that, but I would not at all be surprised. I think the team can save money by signing him to a deal now versus later. They'll certainly have a significant savings on this year's cap if they sign instead of franchise him.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I had not read that, but I would not at all be surprised. I think the team can save money by signing him to a deal now versus later. They'll certainly have a significant savings on this year's cap if they sign instead of franchise him.
I would be sursprised if he's not signed early this off season

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've only seen him say he knows he'll be here next season.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Feel free to argue the point. We can discuss it, no problem.
Off the top of my head -Cooper first year not first choose at RG had a rough start but settled into his position.
Free retired and Collins inherited the position and did a good job was not expected to be at that position
Tyron out five games due to injuries and Green/Green almost got Dak killed in several games.
Dallas back ups are not quality back ups that must be address over the off season.

The offensive line was the albatross around the offenses neck this last year.
It would be generous to rank them 10th

LandryFan

Reaction score
I've only seen him say he knows he'll be here next season.
That's also what I read. He was acknowledging that he knew the team was not letting him hit FA. That said, I would not be at all surprised if they end up signing him to a long-term deal this off-season, but Martin will be first priority, I'd imagine.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I'm sure Stephen Jones has a CAP plan all in place for 2018 and beyond. With all the If and then situations covered.
I'm sure the Cowboys are in the process of a player review by each position.
I'm sure they are already well into their draft board build at this time.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's also what I read. He was acknowledging that he knew the team was not letting him hit FA. That said, I would not be at all surprised if they end up signing him to a long-term deal this off-season, but Martin will be first priority, I'd imagine.
Agree.

Martin is under contract for 2018. I think they'll have that done first but they don't have to do it.

LandryFan

Reaction score
Agree.

Martin is under contract for 2018. I think they'll have that done first but they don't have to do it.
My guess is that they're going to go all in on trying to extend Martin now. The longer they wait, the more expensive he will be, IMO.