Cowboys’ dumping of Griffen, Poe, and Worley signals a realistic approach to this year

Aven8

Reaction score
They were nice starts as they sucked. The others who suck are tougher because of inflated contracts....

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's only a start. There are others who should be cut right now to free up cap rom and allow the younger guys to show what they can do. This is our training camp for next year.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I’m not sure I’m excited about the idea that Nolan was allowed to scapegoat these 3 players.

I also get the feeling these 3 are the ones they suspect of telling the media these coaches have no idea what they are doing. These guys have been on several teams so they know coaching incompetence.

This reeks of a desperate attempt at blame shifting and power grabbing.
those 3 players scapegoated themselves.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, what's the alternative? I mean, yes, we did a poor job of acquiring talent in FA and yes, we put some very questionable signings out there but if those guys aren't going to be effective, then what is the use of keeping them? We got rid of Witten because he apparently wasn't good enough so why not these guys?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If the cowboys have a lead at the end of the first quarter this same guy at blogging the boys will write an article about how Dallas is back in the super bowl mix and anyone who questions his opinions will be taunted and harassed on twitter.

100%

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, what's the alternative? I mean, yes, we did a poor job of acquiring talent in FA and yes, we put some very questionable signings out there but if those guys aren't going to be effective, then what is the use of keeping them? We got rid of Witten because he apparently wasn't good enough so why not these guys?

Why not Tyrone Crawford?

Why not bench Jaylon Smith when he's clearly busting assignments?

Do the 'hard stuff' too.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys had to do something to shake up the team a little. The defense is just so bad they couldn't do nothing.

If Poe was not making weight and not doing anything to fix the problem, they were right to cut him. Worley was just a bad player. I think Griffen was a different story. He was starting to play better and maybe could have helped the defense improve. But they had Gregory coming back and too many DEs on the active roster. In his case, he was the least likely to have a future in Dallas so he was traded.

I am a little worried about the depth at DT now. Their rotation is Crawford, Woods, Gallimore and Hamilton. Not exactly striking fear in the heart of offense lines around the league. Who plays if one of these guys gets hurt? They have Walter Palmore on the practice squad and I am guessing he gets elevated this week. This has to be the worst DT rotation in football.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not gonna knock them for it because I didn’t this offseason. I thought they were solid moves at solid prices. But they failed. Miserably.
Bolded. And therein lies the problem. Doesn't work out once so they're not major players early in FA.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They also won't do it with Crawford or Jaylon Smith either.
Naw they won’t. I’m sure both are great guys but they represent the Cowboys trying to be the smartest person in the room.....it’s why I think Dak is coming back. Prescott represents the one time they may have been smarter than other teams....the picks are slim.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And at least they did that. Admitted the mistake and moved on. They won’t do it with Nolan though.
Nolan was hired by the HC because of their relationship, think it would sit well with him if Booger fired him within the season? Might was well clean house.

The FO has dumped all of the D FA's, the 2 best LB's have been missing as well as some DB's and the players they signed to address that sagging middle of the DL are all gone.

Got to be fair, the building of the D, the weak link in the team, has been a miserable failure. To single out the DC does not make sense.

In fact, posters were very critical of Marinelli, singing the praises of Richard until he bottomed out and now they want Nolan gone. See a pattern here? I have not seen Nolan miss coverage, miss tackles and constantly be out of position and late to the play.

Coaching matters but so does execution, equally.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Naw they won’t. I’m sure both are great guys but they represent the Cowboys trying to be the smartest person in the room.....

tenor.gif

it’s why I think Dak is coming back. Prescott represents the one time they may have been smarter than other teams....the picks are slim.

I think he's coming back because he's the only guy they have who's worth it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’ve seen both sides of it though. We’ve been burned by the Brandon Carr deals and burned by the bargains......
No team in their right mind pays Carr 50M to play a D he's not really suited to play. These morons saw 11 picks as a rookie and then

Any GM can see what he wants to see to back up his moves or lack of including the Dream Team. But, at least, they tried.

Some see FA and see Carr and some see Glover. The problem is what the hell do the Joneses see?

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
Just spit balling here but I think the biggest issue this front office has and had going back in the past is Jerry still would rather see a ton td's scored because offense sells tickets and jerseys. He rarely if ever pull the trigger to get an absolute difference maker in the first part of drafts, and I'm not talking about sitting still drafting a defensive player. I'm talking doing all this wheeling and dealing he loves to brag about to get a certified day 1 difference maker for that defense. He has bargain bin this defense into submission and it shows, because with the exception of the draft with Ware and Spears in the first this team hasn't thought about making some real defensive head way moves in the draft. We already see what they think about the defensive line and safety I say that mentality clearly justifies what we're seeing right now.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why not Tyrone Crawford?

Why not bench Jaylon Smith when he's clearly busting assignments?

Do the 'hard stuff' too.
Crawford played a season low 22% of snaps vs Washington...

He was a 5 year starter with Garrett/Marinelli.

You should love Mike Nolan...